Steamed lemon chicken.... Adulterated from Neil Perry in SMH
Easy fresh and delicious. What more do you want?
Neil says to this serves 4 as part of a shared Asian banquet..or 25 models.
350g free-range or organic chicken thigh fillets, skin on, each cut into 3 pieces or a few chicken breasts
1 ½ lemons, quartered lengthways
Pinch freshly ground white pepper, to serve
2 spring onions, julienned, to serve
1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
1 ½ tablespoons light soy sauce
1 ½ tablespoons oyster sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon sugar ( optional for me)
- Take off your YSL heels.
- Pull on Celine red fur lined Birkenstocks
- Pour a wine and gulp.
- Mix up the marinade in a bowl.
- Place the chicken in a shallow, heatproof bowl and squeeze the juice from the lemons over the top, then add the lemon skins to the bowl as well.
- Add all the marinade ingredients to the chicken.
- Chop some spring onions and whatever greens you want to stir fry.
- Mix thoroughly and leave for 30 minutes while you read Vanity Fair and drool over Bradley Cooper.
- This might be a good time to make the rice and drink more wine.
- To cook: cover the chicken in the bowl tightly with foil and place in a large bamboo steamer over a pot or wok of rapidly boiling water.
- Place the lid on and steam the chicken for 25 minutes, removing (and replacing) the lid and foil to turn the chicken once during this time.
- Now is a good time to stir fry some greens in a dollop of sesame oil.
- Pour another wine.
- After 25 mins of steaming chicken carefully remove the bowl from the steamer. So you don’t burn youself.
- Remove the lid and foil . Always a good idea when you want to eat it.
- Sprinkle with the pepper and accessorise with spring onions.
- Serve with rice and stir fried green vegetables .