I just loved the look of this! The black rice back with the red prawns looks amazing….and it’s also quite delicious on a warm summer night. I think this works as a lovely dish as a little entrée as it’s a little rich for a main course. If you don’t have prawns this would be divine with flaked roast salmon but go easy on the dipping sauce…I used cooked peeled prawns instead of raw prawns and soaked in lemon juice. Yum.
*Nigella also recommends that you choose authentic black rice rather than rice dyed with squid or wild rice. You have to do whatever Nigella says….I found it in the organic shop.
You need for 2 gourmands as a main course or for 4 as an entrée or 35 models for a week..
For the Vietnamese dipping sauce/dressing:
2 garlic cloves minced or crushed
2 bird’s eye chillies, or other red chillies, finely sliced
4 cm ginger, fresh, finely minced
4 tabsp fish sauce
4 tabsp fresh lime juice, (about 1 to 2 limes to taste)
2 tabsp water
2 tabsp caster sugar
I added a teasp of sesame oil for a bit of depth
For the salad:
250 g rice, Nanking black rice
500 g prawns, raw and peeled
1 pinches salt
0.5 lemons, juice only
Coriander for accessorizing.
- Slip into your favourite Gucci sundress.
- Slide into your new Louboutins thongs.
- Pour a big glass of French Champagne. So refreshing after a hard day’s shopping don’t you think?
- If you have raw prawns you can poach them in a little salted water with juice of half a lemon. Takes about 5 mins.
- Let them cool.
- Now ask that naughty, lazy George Clooney to peel the prawns.
- Pour another champers. February will be alcohol free detox month so drink up now.
- Now cook the rice as you would white rice. That’s what I did. I took a little longer.
- Now all you have to do is make the dipping sauce.
- Which means chop up the chilies, ginger and garlic as small as all the Kardashian’s brains put together. Yes, that small.
- Juice the limes.
- Lick your fingers.
- Toss all the dipping ingredients together. Mix. So easy; it’s stupid.
- You can serve the prawns hot or cold. Whatever suits. Trans seasonal darling!
- Drink more champers.
- Then give the sauce a quick little stir and spoon some, but not all, over the rice. It can be quite rich and you don’t want to drown the rice.
- Now fork the sauce through and then tumble the prawns on top, spooning a little more sauce over as you go.
- So chic! It’s looks like Prada spring summer 11 but without the monkeys…
- Give it a toss and accessorise with some coriander if you so desire.