Green lentil soup with pumpkin and Harissa…adulterated from Gourmettraveller.com.au.
This is not so much a soup but simply delicious spicy lentils. It can be served with roast salmon or panfried chicken. In fact it could be quite fabulous with lamb too.
You need to serve 6 girls, 4 hungry blokes, 8 children and 35 models:
80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 small carrots, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
3 garlic clove, finely chopped
500 gm small green lentils
500 gm Jap pumpkin, cut into small wedges
400 gm canned chopped Italian tomatoes
1 preserved lemon, rinsed, flesh discarded, rind thinly sliced
25 gm harissa, or to taste.
To serve: thick creamy yoghurt and coriander leaves
- Slip out of Burberry Puffa jacket and beanie.
- Slip into Alexander Wang grey marle trackpants and cashmere hoodie.
- Turn on open fire. ( George Clooney should be out there chopping the wood by now).
- Pour a glass or five of wine.
- Gulp. It’s Friday!
- Time to chop onions: Apply waterproof mascara and new Giles sunglasses.
- Chop the onions as small as the H in an Hermes cuff.
- Wipe away the tears.
- Now here’s a trick to chopping up the carrot and celery and garlic: chuck it in the whizzer.
- So toss a roughly chopped celery stalk and carrots and garlic and whiz till the size of Britney’s brain.
- Chop up the preserved lemon. A whole preserved lemon seems a lot but, trust me, you need it to get the tang.
- Now chop up the pumpkin into the size of a Lanvin cuff. ( small chunks).
- Now find a saucepan and heat up non designer olive oil and fabulous unsalted butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until it’s as foaming as you will be in Prada.
- Toss in the onion and stir until soft and golden as a Chloe bag (8-10 minutes).
- Now throw in the carrot, celery and garlic, stir occasionally until soft and golden-ish as a Celine bag (8-10 minutes).
- Now pour in lentils and 2 litres water and let it simmer away for about 20 minutes.
- Ok, you better guzzle down another glass of wine. Hic.
- Then toss in the pumpkin and the can of tomatoes, season to taste and cook until lentils and pumpkin are as tender as George on a good night. (20-30 minutes).
- Now throw in the divine preserved lemon and stir in the harissa to taste and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Taste it and add more harissa if you want it spicier.
- Serve toute suite accessorized with creamy yoghurt and lovely green coriander leaves.