Watermelon Salad with Ginger Syrup
What a fabulous dish! Drizzle watermelon with ginger syrup and toos with mint and pistachios …who would have thought?
Tip: Men like George Clooney will want more for dessert so you may have to try serving it with icecream….Adulterated from taste.com.au
You need for 4 bikini babes, 2 hungry surfers, 25 models
1 small seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into thin wedges
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely shredded
1/4 cup pistachio nuts
125ml (1/2 cup) water
70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
One big knob of ginger, thinly sliced (they suggest glace ginger but I prefer fresh )
- Slip into your favourite India Hicks Caftan
- Slide into your favourite K Jaques sandals.
- Admire your lovely pedicure.
- Pour a wine: it’s the weekend.
- You can make the syrup ahead of time…
- Chop up and peel the knob of ginger; don’t think of ex boyfriend. You might make the slices too small.
- Find a saucepan and toss in the water, sugar and fresh ginger and heat up over low heat.
- Keep stirring for about 2 minutes until the sugar dissolves. ( if only your thighs would do that)
- Now increase heat to medium and bring to the boil.
- Give a good heating for about 2 minutes or until syrup starts to thicken slightly.
- Turn off the heat and strain it into a jug : you don’t want any big chunks of ginger.
- Now set it aside for 15 minutes to chillax and cool down
- Pour another wine and flick through the March issue American Vogue.
- Then throw in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill right down ( the syrup not the Vogue)
- Ask George Clooney to prepare the watermelon: he will love getting a big knife to chop off the rind.
- He will love to cut it into thin wedges. (Think Marni wedges Autumn Winter 2009.)
- Now toss the lovely red watermelon in a large and very pretty celadon green bowl and drizzle over the ginger syrup.
- Accessorise with the dashes of gorgeous green mint and gently toss to mix the syrup over the watermelon.
- Spoon among serving bowls and sprinkle with pistachios.
- Quite fabulous !
- Here’s a tip: You can make this with kaffir lime syrup: Replace the ginger with 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded, and instead of mint and pistachios you can use ¼ cup unsalted macadamia nuts ( thinly sliced) . Yum