Aromatic Lamb Shanks … adulterated from Nigella
It’s a cold snap so let’s eat something warm and spicy to heat up the night (and the soul).
You will need for 4 hungry fashion editors, 6 yummy mummies or 20 models
6 tablespoons groundnut or vegetable oil
8 lamb shanks
4 or more cloves of garlic
sprinkling of salt
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 dried red chilli pepper, crumbled, or ¼ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons Marsala
6 tablespoons red lentils
3 tablespoons chopped pistachios, chopped blanched almonds or a mixture of both and of course a bunch of coriander.
- Take off your Prada gloves.
- Remove Hermes scarf
- climb out of Burberry puffa jacket.
- Light the fire, pour a drink.
- Pop on Chanel sunglasses
- Chop onions and slice garlic into about the size of your bank account after a day shopping.
- Reapply mascara and remove black streaks.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the oil into a very large, wide, and as heavy-bottomed pan such as your good self.
- Now toss in and brown the lamb shanks, in batches til they are caramel as your Chloe boots.
- Then quickly remove them to another plate for a little alone time.
- Now add more oil to the pan, and toss in the onion/garlic and cook till soft and lovely. Tip: sprinkle with salt to stop it burning.
- Toss in the pretty turmeric, ground ginger, chilli, cinnamon and nutmeg, and season with some freshly ground pepper.
- Give a big stir.
- Drizzle in the gooey honey, soy sauce and Marsala.
- Stir it all again and smell those divine spices.
- Put the Marsala away. Please.
- Pour another wine.
- Time to throw the shanks back in the pan, and pour in some cold water so they are almost covered.
- Bring to the boil then put a lid on it. ( Sing: “if you like you should put a lid on it”).
- Turn down the heat and let it simmer gently for about 1½ hours or until the meat is tender and soft and gorgeous.
- You may now pour another wine and read Vanity Fair with your feet up.
- But wait there’s more ! Toss in the chic red lentils and let them cook for about 20 minutes ( without the lid).
- The lentils should be soft and almost melt into the sauce of the shanks.
- You want the juices a little reduced and slightly thickened. As your waist will be after eating this.
- Add lots of sel et poivre.
- Before you serve you can toast the nuts for a bit of crunchiness.
- Accessorise with gorgeous green coriander and a sprinkling of nuts