It’s sale time. This is a time when you could be whipped into a shopping frenzy. But take a deep breathe. Sit down before you get dizzy with delight. You need to know what’s happening next season. For next summer and next winter. You need to know what’s hot and what’s not. Then you can buy your bargains and keep wearing them into next year. (Now there’s a thought….What ever we will we think of next…)
What’s hot for next season? You will find a lot of big, bold florals or prints a la Balenciaga, Dolce Gabbana and Prada. The shapes are strong and dramatic. It’s not about being Boho and too soft and pretty. Wear florals with serious statement shoes: platforms, wedges, gladiators heels. Pointy Toe stilettoes. You want strong shoes to toughen the prettiness. Hint: keep the prints on top of the body. You will not be wearing floral pants. Unless they are Prada. Then you will be forgiven.
Buy up dresses. The little black dress was all over the runways for next winter. You can never have enough. Choose strong dramatic tailored shapes. Say good bye to the smock dress. Au Revoir. It’s been nice knowing you. (it can live in the closet for fat days, alone at home). You want dresses that are figure hugging, that wrap and tie, that drape, that have slits and sharp shapes. You want dresses in bright bold, colours. They can short or to the knee. You can keep wearing your maxi dress (but not to work or with heels). Remember next winter is about velvet, tailoring and black. It’s about big jewels and minimalist futuristic shapes. Prada showed a collection full of lace. There will be lace everywhere next season. See it, buy it and wear it now.
Invest in blazers with shoulder pads (please don’t faint.) that are seriously tailored. You need to know that the high waist is here to stay. You need to know that a big wide belt is hot hot hot! A cinched in waist continues to be the silhouette of the season. You want sheer blouses and tops which will work for summer and then into winter. You need to know that pretty full fifties skirts are perfect for summer. Buy one now in trans seasonal fabric and keep wearing it for months. Wear with tight narrow tops. Too much volume on the top and bottom and you will look like Andre Leon Talley. Bless. Go for pink, red and orange and wear them all together. Go for black, choc and a lot of white. No one looks good in yellow except Kate Moss. And bright colours can look really cheap if they are. If you are on a budget and over 25 then stick to classic colours like black, caramel, chocolate, taupe and white. We can’t have FiFi Report readers looking cheap. God forbid. In bags invest in clutches and 70’s shoulder bags, a few oversized totes with a little less hardware. Think stealth wealth. Flashy Logo is a no go.. Add colour with shoes, bags, belts and sunglasses. Remember short boots are hot for next winter too.
Hint: always carry a back mirror to check out any back fat in the fitting room…
Still on sale: Best buys to take you through to next season are the:
• Short black, brown or taupe round toe boots about $119. Don’t wear boots under jeans. That is an order. Short boots are supposed to worn with a skirt. I am sorry you didn’t know. Maybe nobody actually saw you.
• Grey patent peep toe platforms $69. Grey is good for grey days.
• Chanel style black classic pumps with a cream toe about $89. Rule: Anything remotely Chanel is always right.
• The very Prada T bar bronze or black sandals with disc front. Sure it’s cold outside but these are perfect for summer.
• The black satin lace up shoe boots a la Prada (pictured) $79. Chic de la Chic. Don’t wear these under jeans either. They work with wide slouchy pants. Or a skirt
• The peep toe black patent shoe boot lace-up heels $89. Shoe boots will keep wealking straight into next winter.
• There are so many boots here it’s worth checking them out.
• Remember your size may have already left the building. So don’t cry.
On sale but new season pieces arriving every day.
• The Best buy on sale are the very Balenciaga inspired dresses in black shiny textured and very stiff fabric with short cap sleeves. Very fitted it maybe too short for those with lumpy thighs such as my good self (unless hidden under black opaques) Now $187.
• Buy the divine long black leather gloves with a gold/silver long zip; on sale for about $117. tough chic. Hide the chipped nails. Watch them transform any daggy outfit.
• There are many black dresses here and you can never have enough of those…
On sale…In the new season the best buys are:
• The black patent platform classic peep toe, very YSL $148. Black patent is still going strong for next season. You can reapply your lipgloss without a mirror.
• Cute black patent ballet flats with stitching around the edges a la Bally $128. Skip around in these for hours. Pain free.
• The dead simple black patent, round toe ballet flats: a great buy to wear with everything from jeans to pretty 50’s skirts $118. Don’t wear if you have short legs. I am sorry. You need to wear heels at all times. Including swimming and sleeping. Especailly sleeping.
• Black and suede and patent round toe heels with 2 cross over straps on the front $148. Wear with skinny pants. (don’t eat for a week)
• Love, love and love the groovex de la groovex ‘Oasis’ tortoise butterfly shaped sunglasses $215. Inspired by Miu Miu I suspect. And if you are inspired by Miu Miu then you have excellent taste.
• The black ‘Ebony’ oversized leather clutch $295 is chic yet functional. Those two words are rarely seen together in fashion. How can this be? So clever it has room for business cards, pens and make-up. Must be designed by a woman.
• Buy several of the long length pearl necklaces on sale $95! Pearls with grey marle Tee shirt and a cardigan will never go out of fashion. Ask Madonna.
• You are a jetsetter and you must have the bright red ‘Melanie’ laptop case. One problem: You will be separated from it at security at the airport. But only for a few minutes. $295
• Cinch in your waist with the simple chic cement coloured skinny belts $45! It’s not real cement so it won’t set hard on your cellulite. You can actually take it off when you get home. You just won’t want to.
•The Orient mini bag in black or blue oily leather is right on trend. The long strap will have Mary-Kate Jealous. This is a good thing. On sale $135.
Still on sale… the best buy ? A black patent oversized slouch messenger bag for $30.
In the new collection you want:
• The fabulous navy and black Grecian style dress: one half is navy and the other is black and it’s split right down the middle left to right. Turn left and you have a black dress on and turn right and you are in navy. Two for the price of one. Just keep walking sideways like a crab if you want to look completely black. It has a wrap and tie ribbon around the waist to make sure you don’t eat too many deep fried mars bars. $129. Wear with black opaques and a blazer right now. Also in a bright red.
• Love the navy silk wide pleat, sleeveless tunic top with black lace detailing a la Chloe on the front: chic and easy to wear. Perfect with jeans or for work. You could wear a black knit under it if you wanted to wear it now. If you are not in St Tropez.
• Invest in dark denim high waist wide jeans: a fabulous cut with 2 pockets at the front $149. They do great things to your hips. I have seen it with my very own eyes.
• Love the black multi ruffle, sleeveless silk dress with subtle black jewel detail around the neckline. Don’t make that face: these ruffles are chic and not too Ra Ra. More Valentino than Carmen Miranda. The black jewels are almost a classic.
• The T Shirts are perfect: classic high round neck (as opposed to the old lady, middle aged, scoop neck that ages everyone over 30). Buy one in every colour white, black , grey marle, red $34.
Max and Co:
On sale and you want so many gorgeous pieces here:
• Love the black quilted shiny puffa jacket, almost a bomber jacket. It has knit rib trim on the cuffs and a snazzy zip front $416. The puffa will take you into next winter too. Wear with heels and a pencil skirt. Then wear for skiing and weekends in the country. Then to bed with the pearls and heels.
• Love the long black puffa jacket with it’s very own little belt about $500. Divine.
• Invest in black sequin shell tops about $119. Wear with jeans. Sequins are not just for evening. They are ongoing into next winter. But you knew that.
• The brown or cream puffa jackets with a fur hood about $400…sleep in these. Pull hood up on bad hair days.
• The black wool (almost mohair style) peacoat; so French, so chic eet eez pour vous. Now $300.
• There cute floral dresses, right for summer. Wear now with opaques…about $250.
• The grey knit empire knit dress with long sleeves; easy dressing for right now $200. Wear with a blazer with big, fat heels. Then sit down for a rest.
• The black velvet jacket with puff exaggerated shoulders $389. it’s all I want so it won’t be there when you go to buy it. Sorry.
• The black bag double handle tote with big silver chain straps now $380….What a great buy.
On sale here but have a few new goodies sprinkled around the store. You must have..
• An oldie but a goodie: the long strand of shell pearls with a swarovski crystal clasp is a must have $189. Never take them off. Wear to bed a la Carrie.
• The ‘glitterati’ drop earrings in a long double teardrop of coloured resin, covered with crystals. Fabulous. Buy them in black and silver. You shall go to the ball (with a tear drop). $129
• You desperately need an oversized clutch. I know you do. We all do and we won’t sleep unless we have the divine patchwork black clutch with a sexy resin clasp. Also in olive and on sale $349
• A gorgeous new piece here is the leather ‘eclipse’ pendant: A long silver and resin chain with a clever belted silver and black leather circle pendant $199. A statement necklace is so right now. Remember never do the earrings and the necklace together unless you want to look like a Christmas tree. Or you are Donatella. Then it’s Christmas every day.
Sales are everywhere! Pack your black Amex, your tissues, and apply lashings of waterproof mascara (you will be sobbing) and head to Prada! Gucci! Ferragamo! Hermes (next week), Cosmo Shoes…
There is 50% off everything and you wil drool over all the divine pieces here. Best buys include:
• The black short sleeve knit T shirt with amazing feather sleeves now $600…feathers are hot! This is a standout piece. Only trouble is you can’t wear a jacket. Squished feathers.
• The divine burgundy and black print blouse in sheer chiffon with a tie neckline now about $370. This is perfect to wear in any season: hot or cold. Wear with jeans, wear out to a quiet dinner with George or to the office.
• The red and burgundy sheer blouse with a high neckline almost Edwardian style now about $350. Ditto.
• The grey fine knit cap sleeve empire loose Tee about $170..it’s about quality and this looks it. Understated chic.
• The grey fine knit shell top with a tiny stitch detail at the neckline about $180…A bargain. A must buy.
• Also check out classic grey blazer and pants, simple black sheath dresses and bags and shoes…
On sale: so many gorgeous shoes and boots to choose from….
Best new season buys are:
• The sensational Miu Miu gladiator flat sandals with a jeweled T strap in jade, black and stone. They have a simple leather sole $790. You know it’s all about the statement shoe and it doesn’t matter if it’s flat or heels. This one yells.
• The Givenchy gladiator flats (also in heels) in patent in white, yellow or black about $598. Who cares if it’s raining? Gladiators didn’t worry about it so why should you? You need these shoes.
• Miu Miu patent flats with a crossover peep toe in hot pink and black with a tiny kitten heel about $500. You can actually walk in these. And you won’t hear one word of complaint from your feet.
• Marc Jacobs bronze peep toe heels with a gold chunky heel about $700. We love you Marc Jacobs.
• Marc Jacobs black patent round toe heels with the signature weirdo heel (weirdo heel pictured) that sits on an angle under the foot. I tried them. Well someone had to, and they are actually comfortable. A little springy to walk in and strange. When you look in the mirror the shoes look as if they don’t have a heel and you are walking on tip toes. Oh the kooky joy of fashion. Not for the supermarket. Unless you live in Potts Point and have to race into Fratelli Fresh. $648.
• Marc Jacobs patent Mary Janes with a chunky heel bright yellow lime and grey $648. Love the bright lime! Cars can see you at night.
• Costume National cream and grey heels with a thick strap $700. These are a go-anywhere shoe. And if you pay $700 you don’t want them sitting at home complaining they never go out
• Barbara Bui choc brown chunky T bar platform heels with white overstitching about $700. Love a chunky heel it makes balancing easier. Love choc brown. Wear with a pretty dress so it won’t.
• Barbara Bui black gladiator flats with silver gunmetal metallic studs $386: the shoe of the season.
• In bags check out the Miu Miu taupe 2 handle tote: It was in SATC. I think this is a good thing.
Quincy: - New shop Alert!
This new Wollahra store (www.Quincy.com.au) is pure shoe heaven…
There is a plethora of Marc Jacobs heels here. And we know know how we love a plethora. (it’s not a kind of leather). You want:
• Love the red stilletto pumps and the MJ Jellies (for summer). They also have the cream button front pumps with the thick heel $695. This is cream that has zero fat but just as much pleasure.
• Can’t go past the Emilio Pucci classic blue Pucci print ballet slippers $620. So stop and buy them and skip out the door. Skipping and shopping both eat up the calories.
• The Sigerson Morrison ‘Belle’ range is here. Love the black ankle strap leather ballet slippers $330. Wear with something sexy so you don’t look like Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music. Before she left the convent.
• Christian Lacroix black classic pumps with a pointy toe are gorgeous. $570. Repeat after me: pointy is chic. Pointy is cool. Pointy is back.
• Other labels here include: Barbara Bui, Celine, Derek Lam, Donna Karan, Leona Edmiston and Michael Kors. Labels, sweety, labels. Need we say more?