Please relax. After all the amazing feedback from last week : emails, comments, and twitters - Thank you - The FiFi Fashion Report is back where you all love it.
Please keep the comments coming. Tell me if you find something you love. Share with us when you try something on that you’ve read in The FiFi Report. Share with us what you bought. It’s fantastic to get the feedback and find out what you love and what you loathe. Let me know what you want to see more of in The FiFi Report (Apart from a black Amex and George Clooney). More First class, Business or Economy? More work wear or weekend wear? More hot pink? ( Never!). More jokes, more pictures? More places to shop online? The FiFi Report subscribers are what keep me out there shopping….Someone has to do it.
Enjoy the weekend of shopping.
I love to nick in here and see what’s going on. Ok, most of things I am not going to wear ( my legs always complain) but I am not age-ist so I am always on the hunt for cool things at a price.
My picks are:
- The fabulous grey wool peacoat…I know. I know it’s another peacoat but it’s the coat of the season and this is a fabulous buy for the price. It chic and looks expensive. You will love this. $149
- Everyone needs a black and white stripe Tee although the one I see here may be a little cropped. (Yes, the crop tee is coming back and I am running so far from that look). This knit tee is a cool black with a white stripe but the top half is black. Wear this under the grey peacoat or under your fav sharp shoulder jacket and skinny jeans a la Emmanuel Alt from Paris Vogue. $49.
- Love, love the very Petit Bateau red and cream stripe long sleeve Tee (Also in navy and cream) about $39. See instructions on how to wear it above.
- Buy the fabulous black and white Lanvin animal print/spot, long sleeve blouse. It has big puff shoulders, which we love, and thin little sleeves. The blouse is perfect for wearing in trans-seasonal weather. i.e. Right Now . It’s been in store for a month or so. If you are going to wear print stick to a blouse and ignore any print on the bottom of the body. Are you insane? Who wants to draw attention to that part of the body? ( answer; Elle Macpherson).$129
- There is a very chic tailored blazer; very eighties and double breasted with 2 low buttons. If could be scary if you can remember those. But then it’s a cool shape and very flattering. It’s a wool gabardine. Classic. Will look fabulous with jeans.
- And I see the very same jacket I have already seen in Target. Mmm. Tres interesting. Must be a Marc Jacobs. It’s the black twill military jacket with a round neckline, double breasted, black buttons, epaulettes and it’s cut away with a split at the front. It even has the same 3 strips of panels at the back. $169.A great jacket so it’s OK to be inspired by Marc. It means they copied the right thing. Bless. Wear with the stripe tee and peg legs pants.
- I must mention the fabulous wedge suede ankle boots: fabulous. $159. A must buy.By the way the jeweled Prada style neck pieces are on sale for $19.
Well, all I can say if you don’t go you will never know: On a Budget? Want to spend money on fabulous sunglasses instead of a winter coat? Here’s the choice: You will wear one of them all year , the other for just 3 months in Sydney. If you are lucky. So I suggest you head here to Target and buy the wool melton peacoat
Best buys are:
- The chic grey marle single breasted unlined blazer: well I never…Target is on trend for sure. Lash out and buy this one for an outrageous $49. Toss over a stripe Tee, a simple V neck Tee and with jeans. A great look. Roll up the sleeves, that’s the trick to the look. Add a scarf. Voila.
- Buy the grey military peacoat: it’s cool with epaulettes and grey buttons. I think this one has a detachable hood. So perfect if you venture somewhere cold. As you know I am a big believer in The Peacoat for Australian winters. Toss it with jeans and for work. Some are long enough to even cover your droopy bottom. The thing is that sometimes you want to wear skinny jeans but your butt is not looking as fabulous as you would like. Which means you are fine as long as you don’t take off your jacket (And reveal the muffin bottom).This is where a long peacoat comes into action. You get the coverage without having to wear a long coat. $79
- Love the black or grey wool melton classic peacoat. I think it’s in wool twill but hey who cares? I might have been confused in Target (It’s that smell of plastic that can overwhelm and disorientate you) but I think some of the peacoats are on sale for $35. What?!! Unless they were on the wrong rack. In that case they are $79. I think the quality is fine. I mean what do you want for $79? When you take it out of the shop it always looks different in daylight.
- OK, while you are there you should buy the military twill coat: it’s amazing ( I am sure I saw the exact same one in a designer store. I think Sportsgirl). This is collarless with black buttons, and a cut away military split in the front, and epaulettes with cute tailoring. It has 3 bits /panels across the back. $79 or $35? It’s a winner. Wear with the long stripe Tee $49.
- I think Target missed the memo about coats in camel (who would possibly wear a purple coat unless it’s Lanvin?) but that’s Ok you can get one in Witchery or Marcs. Here there are racks of wool melton coats as well as moleskin style car coats about $79.
- If you a country girl or a horse-y girl or someone who gets out of heels then buy the puffa jackets here which are long and not so fashion but do cover the bottom. Just the thing for horse shows and cold winter days. You do remember them don’t you? $69. Wear with animal print gumboots…about $50
- I am not sure about the shoes here but I do see very Vuitton style heels from a couple of seasons ago about $46. But you know what your mother said about cheap shoes…
Esprit: ( sorry : there are no photos as the Esprit site is not geared to Australia)
I nicked in here because I was looking to find an easy weekend style blazer. And I did. Best buys are:
- The black fine cord blazer of course. Now don’t turn up your nose saying I hate corduroy: it’s not like that Academic lecturers wear (that wide corduroy), this is more like velvet. Anyway it’s just a great handy little number you can wear on the weekends and feel a little fashion. It has an easy, relaxed shape but not too voluminous. So that makes it flattering. No, it doesn’t have outrageous shoulder pads. Wear with jean, chinos or over a dress. $149.
- Buy the Khaki military jacket. It’s cool. It has a rib cotton, standup high collar and patch pockets at the front with a belt and rollup ribbed sleeves. Ok yes, also in black but you know the khaki colour and the cargo military is THE piece of the season. Khaki is great over any colour in your wardrobe. That is why it’s a neutral. Like Switzerland. Toss this over a pretty dress or a sequin top. Or with a pencil skirt. Please don’t wear it with biker boot sunless your name is Alexa Chung and have legs up to THERE. You will just look like a train spotter. $149.
- Love the grey chinos here. A good dark grey cotton: A classic cut but the idea is you roll up the hem and show off the very expensive shoes you just bought. $79. Turning up the hem will add instant cool to any pants like this. As will any faaabulous platforms. These are really the kind of pants that are basics. Not a fashion pant that everyone will be oohing and ahhing. No, no one will notice these. This is good.
- Love the grey faded denim fitted jacket that has a few wrinkles it. Please don’t rub your crème de la Mer on it or try to iron: the wrinkles are supposed to be there. It will look fabulous done up with a pencil skirt and a stripe Tee and then a mad red bag and jeweled necklace. Heels. Darling. Don’t forget the heels.
Always good here for classics : it’s for the over 40’s and that means the sizing is big.Which is great if you are over a size 12 but no good if you are a little tiny thing. The prices are great, I must say, for the quality. My picks are:
- Check out the Moleskin camel peacoat $299. It’s an easy shape and not too heavy. Love a neutral , works so well back with black and brown and a dash of red.
- Love the choc brown round neck leather jacket : very chic and a gorgeous rich colour. It’s shorter with an elastic hem like a bomber jacket but not too busy with all crappy zips everywhere. About $699.
- I see some drawstring cotton viscose pants that are pretending to be harem pants but I am not so sure: They have the drawstring waist and have a baggy look but I don’t know if they are so fashion. Might be good if you roll up and then wear with stomp-a-licious heels. $149
- Please buy my favorite grey wool sheath dress. It’s been in store for a while but it’s a winner . Why? Because it does not a wide scoop neckline that makes anyone over 40 look 102. The neckline on this dress is the perfect low crew. It’s sleeveless and knee length and will look fabulous with black opaques and vertiginous heels. Please shut up about covering your arms. Throw on a leather jacket and don’t wave to anyone. You should be fine.
- There is another dress I quite like: it’s in a grey wool jersey with a V neck and a drape and looks scary with a low waist. Don’t be scared: quite often the low drop waist is flattering. And skims over the bad bits and left over Anzac biscuits $129. It’s here in watermelon but please buy the grey. There is also a chic black velvet long sleeve, straight dress with a wide boat neck and a grosgrain ribbon belt. This will look fabulous with a big fat jewel necklace. And heels. Mais oui.
You want a dress? Then head here. My picks are
- The black shatter cage dress with sleeves that have see through cage splice detailing : It’s short but a fabulous dress $595.
- Love the black and white print shatter glass print dress: it has vertical layered frills and an asymmetrical hem $475. Also in a wrap shape that looks a little longer so you get some fat thigh/knee coverage.
- You should try on the blue or black silk swing dress with the spaghetti crisscross detailing at the front. Wear all of these dresses with black opaques and heels. You can throw a blazer over any of them. All perfect for trans seasonal dressing. I want it to get cold so I can wear my winter clothes. I think I will vomit if wear any of my summer clothes ever again. Over it.
- Also check out the poncho in a lightweight wool for $295.I see it’s in a soft pink but hopefully it will come in other colours. You might look like a round ball of pink. Maybe wear with camel and taupe and you should be fine.
- I want the distressed leather lace up peeptoe ankle boots : fabulous. Wear with harem pants, jeans or with a flirty skirt. $395
Looking so much more fashion than it has been here for a while. I mean it’s tricky to make classics look desirable and new don’t you think? My picks are:
- The fabulous camel wool melton peacoat. It’s a winner : Double breasted with 6 tortoiseshell buttons it looks like it’s a long line peacoat $299. As I mentioned weeks ago ( in Item du jour) this season it’s all about the camel coat. It tones down horrible animal print ( if you must but only if it’s Dolce Gabbana) and looks fabulous of course with black, navy and cream. Don’t go near babies, puppies or cooking when wearing camel and you will be fine. Love camel with denim. Oh my lord it’s so 90’s.
- Check out the beige cotton sateen, very Burberry style short military jacket with a high collar. It’s double breasted and very fitted with silver buttons. I would wear this done up which I don’t normally do but it will suck you in like that. $259. Love with a flirty skirt or with baggy pants.
- There is a cool grey leather zip front hoodie $599. Wear with jeans, of course, but to joosh it up try it with a pencil skirt or harem pants and heels. Always mix it up. The relaxed leather hoodie or leather wrap jacket with a serious sexy dress or throw it over a sequin tank.
- I am sad that I don’t see my fav stripe Tee here anymore. It was the best because it was cut straight across on the neckline and not wide and scoopy and ugly that most Tees seem to be. Anyway they have scoop stripe tees here so I kept walking and checked out the V neck Tees, very Vanessa Bruno, but go past the purple and try on the black $29. I think that’s the price.
- Buy the black cotton waiters jacket with short ¾ sleeves and a stripe lining. Turned up of course. I think this is the updated version of the longer Boyfriend jacket : it’s double breasted with 2 low buttons. Again will look great with a flirty skirt, jeans and over a dress. A great buy $249. Wear over the blue boyfriend shirt: so very Chloe. $149.