Lots of fabulous, fabulous, fabulous new shoes for summer… Best buys are:
- The black gladiator heels with lots of tiny silver studs all over. They say “prepare for a full on roman invasion” and I think they are right. In tan or black the heel is thin and stacked. Like you. $159
- Love the black leather multi strap gladiators that go right up over the ankle. Could be potentially scary in the leg cut off situation. If you have cankles go straight past go and get a free get out of jail card. But if not you will love these. They have a back zip so you can get into them without undoing all the buckles. I tried them on and they are so comfortable. Not a lie. They seem to have a squishy sole or something. Or perhaps my toes are just numb. $169
- Buy the fabulous canvas and orange leather wedges: so chic the wedge is in canvas and the straps are simple and not too Russell Crowe Roman Army style. Well, maybe just around the ankle. $149
- Check out the cool cork wedges that are paint splattered: it’s as if they are dripping half way down the wedge. How clever. They have a peep toe and an ankle strap. They come in green so wear if you dare. $169
- There are heaps of chic flat sandals but my favourite are the brown gladiators with a chain T bar strap and a rear zip entry. True. This is what they call it. Rear Zip Entry. Doesn’t everyone want a rear with a zip entry? Sorry I couldn’t help myself. Also check out the chic casual bags in orange patent with a few very Balenciaga style zip for about $120.
The new season collection is heading in store but keep an eye out as there are still fabulous pieces on sale as well. My favourites are:
- The concrete stone military bomber jacket: an easy shape for summer. It has brass zips and a few pockets and a belt detail. The neckline is not too bad because even though it could potentially be a scoop(!) it does not have a wide neckline. Wear it almost as a shirt or just over a tank. This would look great with a sexy pencil skirt or just with cream chinos. $129
- Love the black, silky racer back top with a black rib trim. I have bought one very similar to this years ago at Witchery and it looks very similar. Good on them for bringing it back. I saw one in CK that was very similar too. The great thing is that it has a loose shape and so it won’t cling to any croissants lurking on your waist. Plus it’s perfect for work to weekend, $129. Also in coral. You want the black.
- You want the lovely navy and white soft chiffon print Caftan dress with a V neck and then a strip of jewelled embroidery under the boobs. It is like a loose dress for summer. Wear on its own or over jeans. It’s very holiday. So if you are not going anywhere - bless - you can always just turn the heating up full blast and slather yourself with tropical sunscreen. Then pour a margarita and pretend. $199
- Love the black textured wool, short peacoat with big silver military buttons with nice tapered back detail. Tres, tres chic and perfecto with jeans or your new peg leg pants. Great with shorts too. So French. This is a good thing.
- Check out the very handy navy silky pleat drape top with stone grosgrain straps: it has a racer back (time for a new bra!) and it’s a bit of trick: the front is silky but when you turn around the back is cotton, $99. This is just a great basic and don’t we just love navy and black together? Yes, we do.
- Buy the long maxi dress with a navy satin bodice with shoe string straps. The long skirt bit is in cream and blue tie die fabric, $199. This is serious summer dressing so invest now if you are not jetting off somewhere hot. (I don’t mean the kitchen.) $199
- In accessories you want the very Prada-ish crinkled black leather bag with a bow on the side. Keep calm: The bow is not scary. It’s called ‘the side bow tote’. In a soft grey too, $329.
- In the shoes you will love all the flat gladiator sandals in brown, white or black. So very Balenciaga you can choose from all different styles from about $169. I like the one called Diaz or called Lauren. Who ever they are. Don’t spend a fortune on gladiators because they will be everywhere. They are in Target already. And forget about those silly rules about ankle straps making your legs look short and fat. Who cares! You wear low rise jeans and they make your legs look stumpy. That’s fashion: somehow you just get used to the look.
- In the heels: buy the black very gladiator style with cross over straps that have over stitching. Very cool. They are called Gladdy and have a thin stacked heel, $189.
- On sale buy the black sequin blazer with a hook and eye front and a tailored shape. It has a round neckline like a cardigan but it’s a lot sharper in shape: It’s on sale for $199. Buy now and wear over a white tee or shirt and jeans. Plus Killer monster shoes.
Apparently there is a new buyer and it’s looking a lot more ‘fashion’ here with better fabrics… We need expensive looking fabrics even if the price is not… My picks are:
- The black silk one shoulder dress $149 with a drape bit down the front. It has a waist and I think could look great with a belt. The one shoulder dress will be a huge trend for summer. So just shut up, put on your gladiators and get used to looking like a Grecian soldier.
- I still quite like the tan leather zip front leather jacket with patch pockets. If you wear it for a while it should get a bit more vintage looking and the leather softer. I like it because it’s not too Biker-ish. And a brown jacket will always joosh up all the black looking sad and lost in your wardrobe. Do I have to tell you that you really should toss a leather jacket over a floral dress or any dress for that matter… $299.
- Buy the white muslin or very fine cotton over sized grandpa shirt: love it and it’s perfect for the beach, very loose with a drawstring waist with a pleat front. Not so long so bad luck if you want leg coverage, $79. It’s time for a spray tan. Also in black.
- Love the black small long clutch bag in a grosgrain cut fabric now on sale for $19. OMG that is Ridiculous. Take it out of the shop and out for dinner and watch as it looks chic de la chic. As I often say this is cheaper than French Vogue.
- You want the black sleeveless vest or single breasted jacket. Love this. It has a dinner jacket thin lapel and one button. The edge of the sleeve on the shoulder sits out a little so if you stick in a shoulder pad it will be exceptionally cool. The sleeveless jacket is a must have for summer. It will give you shape and tailoring without being too hot. So YSL. $99
- The black sequin cardigan jacket is great: it’s not glitzy if you make sure you wear it over a white or grey marle Tee and make sure you tone it down. Wear with jeans, with shorts. $249
- Also the jewelry here is very good with a few chunky rings and jeweled necklaces. Also check out the black glomesh bag and the sunglasses for $24.
- The black leather jacket in a beautiful soft leather that seems to have a slight crinkle through it if you know what I mean. The jacket has a long V front with silver zips, $549. Also in a cream. There are a lot of leather jackets around this season and it seems it’s still a huge trend for the next winter collections. (See here at Style.com) Of course you should have invested in one when I told you to buy one years ago (March 2008)
- Love the SABA jeans: they are always a great cut and has no obvious stitching. Go for the black jeans, $159 or the dark blue denim.
- The silvery grey silky cami is a great piece for work. It has cap sleeves with asymmetrical pleats on the front, very Marni inspired. It’s one of those tops you can toss on for work and not look boring. God forbid we can’t have looking like that. As Diana Vreeeland said “it’s better to have bad taste than be boring”. This will work under a jacket and then look chic when it’s hot on its own, $160.
- Check out the white shirt with pleat front and round collar, $99. It’s a little Victorian. Love this with tough pants and shoes. I like the contrast of safe and prim with sexy gladiator woman. Think Givenchy with his black leather pants with chic white shirts (from way back in the Feb 08 shows)
- Love the shrug knit wrap in charcoal. Only the sleeves are in a black and grey stripe and the rest of the wrap is in grey with a rib going different ways. It’s easy dressing, $139.
- Buy the rib cardigans on sale… There is a lot of that cobalt blue everywhere: it will look good in summer with a tan.
If you are heading somewhere warm then you will find fabulous holiday dressing here. My picks are:
- The multi print short swing dress in black/blue/pink mini floral. It has a drawstring and shoestring straps and it’s so loose and easy and so casual in the shape, you just want to throw it on and skip away into the sunset at Mykonos. $245. Also checkout the cool maxi version, $345.
- You want the plain cobalt blue silk A-line shoestring dress. It has asymmetrical ruffles, with a V neck and a loose shape as well. Love this with the obligatory gladiators. Or just as nice with white T bar flats. This colour is big for summer.
- Love the black maxi silky dress strapless with a big bow, $395.
- For a fabulous weekend basic you must have the black leather and grey denim skirt. It has leather inserts on the side of the pockets, $295. This is just a little more exciting than a boring denim skirt and I like it because you can wear it right now “toot suite” with boots and a peacoat. Then in summer toss it back with a loose Tee.
- Love the black Grecian body suit in a gorgeous stretchy fabric. It crosses over and ruches at the front and it’s sleeveless. But oh my, oh my can I really wear a body suit? You know they do up under… there. It’s very Donna Karan 1988 but you weren’t born then. Bless. $295
- How fabulous is the very Gothic long sleeve slash dress with lattice lace going across the shoulders? As you can see it gives a kind of shoulder pad effect $450. It’s a loose shape but has the snazzy bare shoulders. Wear now with heels and wear right into summer.
- You want to wear white this summer even if you have a puppy. Please buy the fabulous lace swing maxi dress with lovely white cotton lace inserts, $395. It has a drawstring neckline and is perfect for beach or pool or just being a lazy slut around the house.
- You should also buy the basics: The black satin ¾ pants with elastic drawstring, $220 and the blue and white stripe T shirt dress, $235.
There are always new pieces coming in each week for the new season. I see a lot of lovely pale creams, browns and caramel with a dash of a soft peach…My picks are:
- The new black and navy one shoulder dress, $379 with a tulip skirt. It’s very Lanvin inspired and I love it. It’s not really a day dress. You can wear right now with opaques and heels under a coat. You will see a lot of black and navy coming through for summer. Finally. I have been going on about it for years.
- Check out the new racer back tunic in a silky fabric with 2 front loose pockets. It’s in a loose shape and easy dressing. Ok it’s in black but it’s also in that soft peach if you have to actually wear a colour. This is a very casual style top not for work but more for dagging around, $149.
- Love the new black peg leg pants: what a great cut! They are little higher on the waist and have front pleats to cover the fatty Arbuckle hips. Wear them long and baggy around the ankle or roll them up for a crop look. Wear them with Monster Vs Alien heels. You will live in these for the next year or two. Love them with your peak shoulder jacket and a tank, $180.
- Buy the little black jersey dress with long round neckline in a cotton jersey with pleating at the front. Everyone needs about 10 little black dresses. TIP: This is not technically a scoop because it covers the shoulders. But I must say I see a few too many wide scoop neck tops here and they are so ugly on anyone over 30, $149.
- The good news is that there is fabulous cotton jersey top with a square neckline. SO much chicer and so much more flattering. It has two side ruffles that sit over the shoulder like a cap sleeve for that all important shoulder detail: go for grey or the bright cobalt blue, $69.
- The paper bag waist pants are cool and they have their own belt. They are rolled up and very crinkly wrinkly fabric. Pants are back and I love the look. You didn’t know they ever went away? Bless. (Stay on the page and you will be cool one day.)
- You want the navy short sleeve bomber shirt in a silky fabric with buttons down the front and a V neck. It’s easy dressing for weekends with chinos. When is a shirt a bomber jacket or when is a jacket a shirt? These deep philosophical questions will never be answered (by a fashionista), $129.
- In accessories please buy the grey leather belt in a shiny leather with a silver classic buckle, $59 and the zip messenger bags with silver zips and the shoes… oh and the black high T bar platform heels are faaaab.
Is there anything more luxurious than Hermes? I love that rich smell of leather and perfumes when you walk in the door… of course it’s all divine, divine, divine! The standout I-will-drool and die-and-go-to-heaven pieces are:
- Love, love, love the black wool melton (or is it cashmere?) double breasted princess coat with amazing pleating and incredible tailoring at the back. It has black buttons and an amazing cut. I want to take it home and stroke it and love it, $6130.
- The absolutely fabulous grey and black animal print short sleeve knit. Oh, don’t you worry it’s a very subtle animal print — of course — and you can wear this right now and into summer, $2490
- Drool over the black mousseline sheer blouse with a high neckline with a pussy bow tie detail, $2875.
- In the shoes you will die over the beautiful red patent ankle strap sandals with a chunky square heel and an ankle strap, very 40’s, $1225.
- Adore the beautiful black or purple suede lattice heels with a stacked leather heels, $1475. A shoe (or two) in a colour is so important for summer: it’s the statement shoe or nothing.
- You need to have the simply gorgeous gold flat woven gladiators that wrap and tie around the ankle, $1395. You could walk in these, and not even notice, except everyone will want to know where they are from.
- The red sleeveless simple dress in a crepe is so understated and simple. It has a loose narrow cut and a high neckline. Perfect. $2300.
- Love and adore the woven navy wedges with an ankle strap: the actual wedge heel is covered with the plaited woven leather, $1635.
- You want the fabulous cotton rainbow or is it a ray print trilby: How chic is that? Very. Wear on the yacht, $800.
- In the accessories you want the cuffs of course and the pendants and then there is fabulous throw rugs and…
You will always find some very simple classic pieces here. On sale with 50% off. Now you’re talking… Best buys are:
- The beautiful black dresses. There are a few that are simple and perfect for work. My pick is the black silk shift dress with a lace trim hem now about $450.
- Love the red and black tie dye chiffon blouse with poet’s sleeves and a high neckline now $350. Love it.
- Buy the divine grey knit sweater with a ruffle down the front and big loose sleeves now $290.
- Check out the grey long sleeve fine knit sweater with a boat neck now about $180. What a great buy. Gorgeous quality
- Love the amazing brown suede blazer now about $1000. Tres chic.
- Also check out the Boss collection which is also on sale with 50% off as well: it’s a little more casual with jeans and cotton jacket.
- You want the black suit blazers, very good for work, now about $460