- “Say whatever is on your mind because you know we have a seven-second delay. But if you win, we switch to a 20-minute delay.” Hugh Jackman, to Best Actor nominee Mickey Rourke
- “I want to acknowledge my fellow nominees, these goddesses. I think we all can’t believe we’re in a category with Meryl Streep at all. I’m sorry, Meryl, but you have to just suck that up.” Kate Winslet, best actress for The Reader.
- “Before coming, I was excited and terrified. The last time I felt like that was during my marriage.” AR Rahman, best original score for Slumdog Millionaire
- “You commie, homo-loving sons of guns. I did not expect this and I want it to be very clear that I do know how hard I make it to appreciate me often.” Sean Penn, best actor for Milk.
- “She’s beautiful, I love her, and she can like, adopt me if she wants to.” Miley Cyrus, on Best Actress nominee Angelina Jolie
- “You look like you work in a Hasidic meth lab.” Natalie Portman, to Ben Stiller (dressed as Joaquin Phoenix), while presenting Best Cinematography.
- “Has anybody ever fainted here? Because I might be the first one.” Penélope Cruz, breathlessly accepting her first Oscar, for Best Supporting Actress (for Vicky Cristina Barcelona).
- “There are certain places in the universe you never imagine standing. For me, it’s the moon, the South Pole, the Miss World podium and here.” Simon Beaufoy, best adapted screenplay for Slumdog Millionaire.
- “Very happy” says Jennifer Aniston when asked how she and John Mayer are going. See the glamorous Vanity Fair slide show here! Vanityfair.com