“I only wear the latest thing, it’s my job.” Karl Lagerfeld is launching a new, affordable womenswear label, Karl, in January exclusively on NET-A-PORTER.COM
‘The easiest thing for me is to sketch myself’ -
‘I hate banality. That’s why I am a big fan of Lady Gaga.’
‘I like the past but I like the present even better’ - Karl Lagerfeld
‘I have four iPhones and 30-40 iPads’ - Karl Lagerfeld
‘A white shirt and jeans look good on everyone.’
“It’s my today’s taste and style and a reflection of how I think a great number of people would like to be dressed now,”
Why you must have Clarins Beauty Flash Balm for the Party season:
- Because it’s the ultimate pick-me-up (but is not sleazy and doesn’t want to date you)
- Because it’s like a miracle worker for tired, stressed, drunk skin.
- Because it’s Medicins Sans Frontier for your skin.
- Because it’s seems to revive dry, sad skin instantly. Instantly!
- Because it has Olive and Witch Hazel extracts which “help smooth the skin’s surface, diffusing the look of lines”.
- Because it has “Soothing Bisabolol which can restore skin’s youthful glow”.( Add blush for the glow to really work).
- Because I have been using it for years and I swear by it.
- Because I want to dip my whole body in it.
- Because I think it actually works. (Even after washing the mirror and put my glasses on.)
- Because it’s called Beauty Flash Balm!
$60 from Major department stores, Adore Beauty and Clarins
Yves Saint Laurent by Pierre Bergé
The perfect Christmas present ! There are a colleciton of Assouline books now available from Net a Porter..”This collectable Assouline book is a celebration of the iconic work of Yves Saint Laurent by his life and business partner, Pierre Bergé. Within its pages are 60 beautiful images of the designer’s most inspiring and best-loved collections and unforgettable fashion moments
£16 Publication Date: 5 June, 2008 Publisher: Assouline Books
Pilgrimage [Hardcover] ….by Annie Leibovitz (Author), Doris Kearns Goodwin (Introduction)
“Extraordinary images….When I leafed through Pilgrimage, I was astounded….I urge you to take a look at this remarkable and powerful book.” Anna Wintour, Vogue.
‘Pilgrimage took Annie Leibovitz to places that she could explore with no agenda. She wasn’t on assignment. She chose the subjects simply because they meant something to her. The first place was Emily Dickinson’s house in Amherst, Massachusetts, which Leibovitz visited with a small digital camera. A few months later, she went with her three young children to Niagara Falls. “That’s when I started making lists,” she says. She added the houses of Virginia Woolf and Charles Darwin in the English countryside and Sigmund Freud’s final home, in London, but most of the places on the lists were American. The work became more ambitious as Leibovitz discovered that she wanted to photograph objects as well as rooms and landscapes. She began to use more sophisticated cameras and a tripod and to travel with an assistant, but the project remained personal.
The final list of subjects is perhaps a bit eccentric. Georgia O’Keeffe and Eleanor Roosevelt but also Elvis Presley and Annie Oakley, among others. Figurative imagery gives way to the abstractions of Old Faithful and Robert Smithson’s Spiral Jetty. Pilgrimage was a restorative project for Leibovitz, and the arc of the narrative is her own. “From the beginning, when I was watching my children stand mesmerized over Niagara Falls, it was an exercise in renewal,” she says. “It taught me to see again.”
$31 Publisher: Random House; First Edition edition (November 8, 2011)Amazon.com
This week it’s all about amazing accessories for Christmas party dressing. Go for chic black and go mad for metallics. Silver or gold are fabulous. You can’t go wrong. Otherwise a dash of red is perfect. Metallics actually work with every colour. Think of them as the neutrals of eveningwear. Think bold, fun and glittery. Toss silver or gold with any colour and you’re ready to race out the door. The shoes of the season? The silver glitter Miu Miu shoe boots. We take our cue from Ms Prada. What Muiccia says goes.( oh and did anyone notice how fabulous they are?). Party on!
The bag for Christmas parties? It’s about a clutch. End of story. No discussion. So put down the Birkin and start downsizing what you carry. All you need is lipgloss, cover up foundation and eyeliner. Oh and a hipflask of gin. A Black Amex. An iphone. You want a clutch but it can have a shoulder strap. It will make life easier. It means you can wear it tossed acroos the body and be hands free. Means you don’t need to put your bag in the middle of the room and dance around it. Means you can drink champagne and eat at the same time.
- For top of the line (bit not too expensive) you must have the Anya Hindmarch red “Valorie glitter-finish leather clutch”. What a gorgeous bag. It could be called a trophy bag. I.e it’s the bag that’s the taking all the focus in the outfit. Means it will razz up the old LBD you’ve dragged out. No one will notice : they will all drool over the bag. This red is fabulous but don’t wear with green. ewwww. Don’t worry about matching shoes and bags. This bag will work with black or silver shoes. Can’t afford this number? Just use it as an inspiration and check out Equip for cute cheap but chic versions. Love. £237 Net-a-porter.com
- For a chic little bag in a fab silver you can’t go past the Oroton “luca flap over” for $395. It’s good quality as Oroton bags are plus it’s tres fashion but too obvious. No one wants to look like a fashion victim. The strap can be tucked in so you can carry it under your arm. And it’s the right size to carry as much makeup for touch ups without being too heavy. Oroton.com
- Also check out the classic black leather clutch from Wittner. It’s also got a strap that can be tucked in. I think this bag is a winner because it’s very non trophy. Just a chic understated bag that doesn’t scream ” fashion” . The leather is good and it will take you through to next season without ever getting a blind drunk. It will never have a hangover. It won’t let you down. $129.95 Wittner.com.au
- For cheap but chic we love a Glomesh bag. This gold one from from sportsgirl is just $39. SHUT UP! It’s not huge but then it will still fit the basics. And let’s face it as long as you have your passport, Black Amex and lipstick you’ll be ready for anything. Oh and silver and gold together is cool if you didn’t know. Bless. So toss this gold bag with silver shoes and a fabulous dress and you’ll rock. Dude. Sportsgirl.com.au
- Who said you had to wear stomp- a-licious heels to a party? I love walk-a-licious flats with maxi dresses. I love these divine jewelled flats from Sambag. Talk about chic. Talk about comfortable. Talk about dance all night. Toss these delicious little numbers ( called Paris!) with wide floppy pants or if you have the legs then you could even wear these flats with shorts. TIP: You need something floaty with flats. If you think floaty relates more to your legs the you need heels. Sorry $190 Sambag.com.au
- For a inspired take on the Miu Miu glitter heels I suggest you try the silvery black glitter heels from Witchery. The T bar Mary Jane style is very 40’s and that is THE word for next season. Meaning: You can still wear these heels straight into next year. What a thought. Love these heels with rolled up crop peg leg pants or with red jeans and a sequin tee. Love these heels with any dress print, floral or classic nude. That’s the dress not you. It’s time for a party on your feet! $169 Witchery.com.au For more fabulous glitter shoes head to Betts for great cheap but chic buys: some under $100.
- Navy and black is tres chic together. But you knew that because I have been going on about that concept for years. Years. Lanvin has been doing the look, like, forever. The great thing is that it stretches the wardrobe. More to mix and match. Love these heels from Nine West because they do the hard work for you. Because they have the new groove chunky heel. Because they have a satin texture for a bit of glamorousness. Because they cross over at the front so they don’t give you cankles. You could probably walk in these to and from the Limo without even getting sore feet. Outrageous. Wear with black, with navy, with red, or any print dress. Just make sure you have matching blue Chanel toe polish. $149. Ninewest.com.au
- The Cuff:
For fabulous, tres cool, stylish jewelry you must head to Dinasaur Designs. Always chic. Always timeless. I love this amazing black resin cuff called the ‘Butterfly wing bangle’. Who doesn’t want a Butterfly on your wrist? What a divine cuff! it’s strong, simple, bold and statement making. You could even wear one of these on each arm. Wonder woman eat your heart out. Love ! $125 Dinosaurdesigns.com.au
- The earrings:
The trophy earring is a big story for the party season. Yes, earrings are baaaack. You want diamentes and big fat jewels. Real or fake. Of course the idea is to have drama. Something that says you are not in Kansas anymore. You are out to have fun. If you check out the latest Prada Resort campaigns or Miu Miu collections you will see what we’re talking about . The tiara as an optional extra. So for the more budget concious head to Colette for outrageous cheap but chic accessorie such as these fabulous drop diamante earrings. For just $12. STOP. IT I LIKE IT. $12 ( I’m not talking the store in Paris although I wish I was ) colette.com.au
- The necklace:
As you can see if you clicked on the Prada resort campaign -the big jeweled necklace is still hot. Tip: whatever the God of fashion, Miuccia Prada, degrees will be fashion. There is no fighting it. And why would you? I suggest heading to Mimco for the same look. Mimco always do great chunky, funky necklaces. What to wear with this? If you want to take a leaf out of the Prada book (Hint; You do) all you need is a little black dress to rock this kind of jewellery. Of course a serious funky do over the top necklace looks fabulous with any top or dress with a simple neckline. Golden rule: Just wear one item of serious jewellery at a time. One big necklace means ditching earrings and cuffs. You want the focus on one area. You are not a Christmas tree. $199 Mimco.
- The Ring:
You’ve got the earrinbgs, the cuff and the necklace. Now rock a ring this season. I love the rings at Pink Lou Lou. So cute. They are fun and chic. My pick would be the fabulous silver and gold buckle ring. It will cinch in your fingers. Ha, the only place I will not be putting on weight. I hope. $119. Also check out the Skull and cross bone pinky. Cool or what! $119. PinkLouLou
Crab and coriander sandwiches ….adulterated from Donna Hay
When you want to quickly whip up chic canapé and snazzy Christmas drinks there is only one place to go for quick and chic recipes: Donna Hay.
These little bite size sandwiches are easy to make ahead of time, look fabulous and taste amazing! You can always substitute prawns instead of lobster.
You need to make 24:
½ cup crab meat : You can buy fresh or frozen picked crab meat from your fishmonger.
½ cup (150g) whole-egg mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
1 tablespoon lime juice
12 slices white bread, crusts removed
1 cup baby Asian salad leaves
- Slip into your new Chanel black dress.
- Climb into fabulous Louboutin heels.
- Pour a glass of Moet . Sip. Sip. Guzzle.
- Apply Tom Ford red lipstick.
- Cut the crusts off the bread. George Clooney’s hair goes curly if he eats the crusts.
- Find a bowl.
- Toss in the crab, mayonnaise, coriander and lime juice..
- Give it a good mix to combine.
- Guzzle another glass of Moet.
- Spread the crab mix on half of the bread slices.
- Toss on the salad leaves ( on the bread not you).
- Top the remaining bread. To make a sandwich.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 pieces to serve.
- Pop on a chic white platter.
- Enjoy the party!