“I know it’s cool to be bad, I get it … but it’s also possible to make it in Hollywood without a reality show,” Reese Witherspoon in her acceptance speech for the MTV Generation Award. You go girlfriend!
“When I came up in this business, if you made a sex tape, you were embarrassed, you hid it under your bed,” More from Reese Witherspoon’s acceptance speech
“And, like, if you took naked pictures of yourself on your cell phone, you hide your face, people!” More from Reese Witherspoon’s acceptance speech
“I can’t believe I’m allowed in here,” Lady Gaga receiving her Fashion Icon award at the CFDA show.
“I was told I won this award, Anna Wintour sent me a text message” Lady Gaga in her speech accepting the award
“Yes, She text messages.” Lady Gaga
‘We’re so excited to tell you, you won the CFDA fashion icon award.” Anna Wintour’s text to Gaga
‘Yes, bitch, we did it.’ Gaga replies to Anna Wintour thinking it was a friend of hers called Anna.
‘How lovely, and we will all be waiting to see what you will wear.” Anna wintour reply text to Lady Gaga.
SALE SALE SALE SALE SALE SALE SALE SALE SALE SALE.
Eclettica is having a fabulous sale!
When: From June 17, 2011
Where : All Eclettica stores and online
What: This is the place to go for chic de la chic bags and gorgeous day wear; Eclettica is known for its understated European style. Look out for super soft, trans-seasonal silk/cotton/cashmere knits from $220 (were $429), fabulous graphic print silk dresses and trousers, from $169 (were $359), and the low key but so luxurious Italian cotton shirts now $79-$99 (were $199 - $240). Also check out the fabulous handbags, prices start at $100 (were $290 - $815), and much more! ….Be quick!
I am obsessed with handbags. It was trench coats, then shoes now it’s handbags. Please explain. So this week I have another little fabulous FiFi find in the bag department. As you all know the satchel handbag is the hot look : if you check out any style blogs you’ll see fashionistas carrying both Mulberry Oversized Alexa leather bag ($1,450) the Proenza Schouler PS1bag ($2,350). Ouch! That’s expensive. Especially if you want one in every colour. So please stop having a conniption and stamping your stomp-a-licous feet. I have found the cheap but cheap version.
I first spied the Cambridge Satchel Company handmade leather school satchels on a few blogs but the one that caught my eye was on the Vanessa Jackson blog : How chic is that red bag slung across like that? LOVE it! I also adore the green bag from Fashionsquad.com and the way blogger Hanelli is wearing hers in Vogue in a amazing neon lime. J’adore! It’s the idea of wearing simple, chic, low key colours and then adding that shock of colour with the cool, casual bag tossed ‘just so’ on the shoulder.
I tracked down the Cambridge Satchel Company and you will be thrilled that your credit card won’t curl up, shrivel and die when you pay for it. Choose any of the fabulous colours and you will instantly look groovy for just £78 (with Delivery:£20). I die!
(Read more about the multi million company that was set up a kitchen table: a great story! here at The Guardian:)
From £78.00 plus shipping from Cambridge Satchel Company
Reasons you want bright orange nail polish:
- It’s so cold your tootsies are turning purple.
- Bright orange will brighten up a grey day.
- OPI Atomic Orange has no radiation but you just glow.
- Aloha! it’s the only way to wear Dior.
- The Essie Clambake has no calories.
- It’s all the colour you want in your wardrobe of black and navy.
- You need to something pretty sticking out of your peeptoe lace up shooties.
- Orange is THE colour for next summer.
- You are just about to hop on a plane to St Tropez.
- George Clooney is coming to cook dinner.
Buy orange nail polish from OPI, Dior and Essie from Major department stores
The ELLEments of Personal Style: 25 Modern Fashion Icons on How to Dress, Shop, and Live [Hardcover] by Elle Editors Joe Zee and Maggie Bullock (Author)
I saw this book in the newly designed Portmans store in WBJ ( they have a great selection of fashion books). I had a flip through and it looks great with alot of lifestyle shots of real people rather than one of those boring how to style guides. ‘Featuring twenty-five case studies of style icons that represent a wide range of tastes and backgrounds, The ELLEments of Personal Style brims with behind-the-scenes interviews, along with commentary on why each icon’s wardrobe works. Describing a red cocktail dress that always makes her feel flawless or the jacket bought on a special trip to Paris, each woman provides a personal collage of memorable objets d’art that serve as an inspiration list. Some of the women who gave ELLE unprecedented access to their homes, closets, and inspirations include: Fergie, Estelle, Padma Lakshmi, Candace Bushnell, Christina Hendricks, Tracee Ellis Ross, and others.’ Cool
$18.24 Publisher: Gotham (October 14, 2010) www.amazon.com
This week, because of all the crazy sales, I have decided to bring you my best buys at my favourite overseas online stores. What?!! Keep calm! The Australian dollar is so strong it’s a great time to buy : there are sales everywhere! I am always online window shopping so I may as well share with you all my favourite sites where I have spent hours looking at bags and shoes I can’t afford. The good news is that they all send to Australia.
A few tips: If you are searching for something particular. Don’t cry into your pumpkin soup: just go to a few fashion search engine websites. Try shopstyle : it’s a fashion search engine with links to hundreds of stores. I die and you will go bananas. You can then refine to find what you want. Also Google has set up Boutiques.com which is the same thing. An outrageously easy and painless way to shop! I am sorry but you will never leave the house. Which is a good thing in this weather.
Also if you find a store that does not ship to Australia: Don’t despair! Wipe away the mascara running down your cheeks and go to Price USA: they are a Australian based site that will buy and then post the items to you for a 5% fee. What?!! Isn’t that just the best news yet? I have just used this site and it seemed to work well ! OMG!
*Some pieces I have chosen may have already left the building. So shut up and keep shopping.
** Keep in mind these prices are in American dollars unless specified.
Always great here for bargains: They post to Australia in 5-8 Working Days for just £9.00. Outrageous.
My picks are :
- Khaki Jersey Sleeve Oversize Pocket Parka Price: £70: The parka is still a huge trend next winter and you know you can throw it over a dress ( not for train spotting).
- Red Leather Sporty Shopper Bag Price: £48: A red bag is the hot look du jour.
- Glow-in-Dark Wellies Price: £25: how can you resist glow in the dark gumboots?!Hilarious!
- Raspberry 3/4 Sleeve Shrunken Blazer Price: £55. Throw this over a grey marle tee and chinos and you are set to go.
This is one of my fav sites for serious designer handbags: they are always about 30% off. There are also a fabulous selection of clothes and shoes as well as designer belts. The great thing is that they are always posting new pieces every day so if you are after a particular bag just keep checking every day until you find it.
My picks this week:
- Givenchy middle blue lambskin medium ‘Buggatti’ tote $760: Givenchy is the designer bag to have and it’s fresh in grey don’t you think? Answer: yes. Plus it will look great in summer and winter.
- Pour la Victoire eggshell snake embossed ‘Quinn’ pump $131: snakeskin is everywhere next season and I love it because it’s witty and works with black and brown.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs normandy blue stretch knit ‘Willis’ two button blazer $155: Love a navy blazer and marc jacobs is always groovex to the max.
- Prada caramel saffiano leather belt $280: Do you need to know why you want a Prada belt?
This is a great site for mid range designers like Marc by Marc Jacobs and DKNY: there is free worldwide delivery. You got to love that.
My picks are:
- J brand jeans or cargoes J Brand Bette Wide Leg Trouser Jeans AU$ 213: Get into the new silhouette of high waist wide leg jeans right now with a crop blazer and knit.
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Single Breasted Gentleman’s Blazer on sale AU$ 446: A brown blazer is perfect with cream and black trousers. Great to cover muffin arms in summer.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Preppy Leather Hillier Hobo AU$ 390.40: A fab buy in blue!
- DKNY pure DKNY Tank Long Dress AU$ 93: The maxi dress continues into next season and you will live in this.
Great here for designer bags and clothes; prices in Euros.
My picks are:
- Sunset Large Slouchy Tote MICHAEL KORS 349 €: The shopping tote is THE shape to buy in handbags and I love the orange colour. ( and how can we not love it with a trench?)
- PRINGLE OF SCOTLAND Grey Houndstooth Cape: 240 € : Yes, you want it to hide everything! Capes will still be hot next winter and this is tooo chic.
- BURBERRY Langford Wicker Double Breasted Short Trench Coat 795 €: It’s a Burberry trench: Nuf said.
This is Net a porter outlet site . But you knew that. There are bargains galore but you have to be quick!
My picks are:
- James Perse Military-style cropped cotton jacket Original price Now $88: A cute crop jacket to wear now and into summer. The Khaki trend is not going away
- See by Chloé Saharan cotton blazer Original price Now $297: A neutral blazer with rolled up sleeves and back with jeans : Perfect!
- See by Chloé Leather jacket Original price Now $434: Everyone needs a brown leather jacket over a stripe Tee. It’s an instant wardrobe updater.
Head here for everything from cheap but chic to designer: The longchamp bag selection is great here. Also lookout for Tory Burch and T by Alexander Wang: great quality and design for great prices.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Saddlery Sophie Convertible Satchel AUD 330: Another saddle bag?! Yes, please: this colour is so versatile . A winner.
- Tory Burch navy Stretch Twill Military Jacket AUD $390: A navy blazer is a wardrobe basic.
- T by Alexander Wang Silk Chiffon Shirtdress AUD $207:Love a long chiffon dress! Right on trend.
Do please let me know what you think! More next week? Happy shopping!
Red curry of chicken, ginger and Thai basil adulterated from Taste
There is nothing like a good ol’ curry to warm you up on a cold night : This recipe is one of those throw it all in together kind of quick number . It does say add pineapple and snake beans but I ditched the pineapple and added snowpeas. And it seemed to work. George Clooney is still alive.
You need for 4 dudes and 20 models:
3 cloves garlic
4cm piece ginger, peeled, sliced
3 x 270ml cans coconut cream
1/3 cup Thai red curry paste
6 (about 360g) Lebanese eggplants, sliced diagonally
10 snake beans, cut into 4cm lengths
6 kaffir lime leaves, torn
250g pineapple, cut into 2cm pieces
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons grated palm sugar or brown sugar.
2 (600g) chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
200g grape tomatoes
3/4 cup Thai basil leaves, plus extra, to serve
Jasmine rice, (garlic chives if you have ) and lime cheeks. That means half a lime sliced up for squeezing at your leisure.
- Throw off Givenchy faux fur chubby.
- Climb into fur lined Prada pyjamas.
- Keep on wearing that Burberry shearling hat. (Keeps your hair out of eyes).
- Ask George Clooney to start chopping that wood and get the fire going. Or else.
- Pour a wine. A big fat glass of wine.
- Pull out the pestle and mortar, and pound the garlic and ginger to a paste… Pound it and think of those flabby arms getting a workout.
- You need a paste like a SK11 Mask.
- Set aside. The paste not the mask.
- Chop up the eggplant, then the beans.
- Tear the lime leaves: think ripped Balmain jeans.
- Slice up the chicken into thin slices as thin as the platform on the Celine heels.
- Now heat up just 1 cup of coconut cream or milk ( save the other cup for later) in a large saucepan over medium high heat and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens like your thighs will be after eating this. The oil should start to separate. (And then want a divorce).
- Toss in the curry paste and stir for 3 minutes, then toss in your ginger paste and stir for about 60 secs or 1 minute depending on how you were brought up.
- Smells fabulous non?
- Throw in the eggplants and stir for 2 minutes.
- Then pour in the remaining coconut cream. This has no calories. Scientific tests have proved it .
- Then toss in the beans, lime leaves, pineapple, sauces, sugar and 150ml water.
- Bring it to the boil and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until eggplants are tender as George on a good night.
- Pour yourself another wine.
- Throw in the chicken and tomatoes, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in basil leaves.
- Accessorise with extra basil, rice, chives and lime cheeks.
- Smile. Then eat.