Happy 50th Birthday George!
“Run for office….No…..I’ve slept with too many women, I’ve done too many drugs, and I’ve been to too many parties.”
“Even one kid running around my villa makes me nervous, so I’m definitely not a candidate for father of the year. If I need to surround myself with children and feel like I have this big extended family, I can always call Brad and Angie and ask them to stay with me, just to remind me why I’m so happy.”
“You never really learn much from hearing yourself talk.”
“I was watching ‘Up In The Air’ and I thought, ‘Jesus, who’s the old gray-haired guy?’ And it was me. I never wear makeup for movies and now it’s starting to show.”
“But I’m kind of comfortable with getting older because it’s better than the other option, which is being dead. So I’ll take getting older.”
“I hate to blow your whole news story, but I was married…I’ve proven how good I was at it…I’m allowed one.”
“I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page.”
Photo from pinkisthenewblog.com
Reasons to buy a white shirt:
- Because it’s the key piece of the season and was seen in every show from Celine to Prada .
- Because white next to your face takes ten years off .
- Because a white shirt is ageless and chic as any French woman will tell you.
- Because Witchery has just launched their 2011 White Shirt Campaign, which raises money and awareness for the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation (OCRF).
- Because one woman dies every 10 hours from ovarian cancer
- Because 100 per cent of the gross proceeds from the sale of the Witchery white shirt capsule collection are going directly to the OCRF.
- Because there is no better reason!
- Go straight to Witchery.com.au
There are several hardcore exercises that can their toll on your hands:
- Doing up all the buckles on your Gucci gladiator stomp-a-licious heels.
- Stroking your new Hermes bag.
- Opening bottles of Verve Clicquot for breakfast.
- Pulling out the Black Amex.
- Repeatedly replying to texts from George Clooney.
- Which is why you need the amazing Kit Cosmetics NEW ESSENTIAL KIT HAND REPAIR BALM : This is a really fabulous hydrating hand cream which I leave it in the car and re-apply after every autograph signing. You will adore the smell of orange peel, lavender and chamomile. YUM!
- $24 Kit Cosmetics NEW ESSENTIAL KIT HAND REPAIR BALM SPF15: kitcosmetics.com.au
My Dear I Wanted to Tell You: A Novel by Louisa Young
This book is getting great reiews ! ‘Singular in quality, if not unique in plot or tone, Young’s WWI novel, her adult debut follows two emblematic couples: Peter and Julia Locke, lovely and well-placed until their relationship disintegrates under the pressure of war and changing conventions, and, more centrally, working class Riley and posh Nadine, who, in a nice bit of symmetry, are hampered before the war by the very upper crustiness that the Lockes embody, but are subsequently more free to love each other and better suited by their modernity and openness to survive.
Still, separation and a terrible injury ensure uncertainty and tension. The plot has a certain Atonement feel to it-working-class boy is semiadopted by upper-middle-class family and educated beyond his station, then falls unacceptably in love with their independent-minded daughter and goes to war while she becomes a nurse-but the similarities become increasingly irrelevant as Young’s characters come into their own and easily shoulder the burden of escorting readers through an unsensationalized and thoughtful story of English class, world war, and that universal constant-love. ‘
$16. Publisher: Harper (May 31, 2011) Amazon.com
Parisian Interiors: Bold, Elegant, Refined: by Barbara Stoeltie
I love any book about Paris! ‘Bursting with color and dramatic focal points, these exceptional interiors offer exclusive access into the homes of Paris’s finest art and antiques aficionados. The magic of Paris is distinctly captured in its interiors: windows are tall, and rooms have high ceilings with grand architectural details; but the real charm comes in the thoughtfully selected elements that bring those spaces to life.
Barbara and René Stoeltie invite us inside the private oases of twenty of the city’s celebrated interiors gurus, capturing in vivid photographs these havens of perfection, brimming with inspiration for the home. While each interior is distinctly unique, they all draw from a rich historical tradition of decorative arts combined with an instinctive desire to reinvent itself, mixing the best elements from different epochs with contemporary art, bold colors, or surprising pattern combinations. A foreword from Jacques Garcia, with his gracious nod to the great Madeleine Castaing, opens this handsome volume. ‘ Divine!
$32. Publisher: Flammarion February 22, 2011 Amazon.com
So I finally made it in here, last week and then again this week. It’s mayhem. Stop it: I like it! I have never seen anything like this except in Topshop in Oxford London. There are queues to get in. As if I was going to stand in a queue in Pitt st Mall. For Prada maybe. So I nicked upstairs to the menswear department (which incidentally is fabulous) and then walked downstairs. Not sure why there is a queue to get in. Maybe they are filtering the dags out or something. But I got in.
Anyway there are queues to try things on. There are queues to pay. There are queues to get to the racks. It’s mad, it’s huge and it’s all happening with the hottest trends. Celine mad prints? Tick. Celine black pleather Tee $49: Tick. Prada stripe tops? Tick. Classic trench coats? Tick. Classic coats tick. Shoes, bags and scarves. All here. This week is a very Celine inspired week and all the mannequins were wearing a leather zip jacket- I want for $299 - and camel patch pocket skirts. Divine. First impressions : It’s all inspired by the latest out there in fashion. The fabrics and the cut are great. And , of course, can we talk prices? This is cheap but chic of the year. Which we knew when we were in Paris but sometimes it doesn’t translate. No wonder it’s madness in there. I have always said that retailers underestimate Australian style. Here is evidence that we want the latest and we want it now. Out of the season be damned. Now there is no excuse to look like a dag anymore!
- The black leather jacket with black zip and a neat flattering cut $299
- The brown “leather” bomber jacket $89
- The animal print Celine style coat in caramel and black $139
- The Prada style stripe cotton tops $49 in creams, orange, aqua and green.
- The classic fitted blazer with stripe lining $49. OMG it’s true. What a price. Excellent cut and good fabric.
- The Double breasted trench in stone: yes please: $159 with shoulder pads.
- The beautiful choc brown suede aviator jacket $470. Yes there are a few exceptions to the cheap but chic rule
- The Wide pants black pants $69 and black velvet jacket $119. And the list goes on…..
After visiting Zara it did occur to me that stores like these can never compete; it was pretty quiet in here and surprise! surprise there is 50% off jacket. This is a good thing.
My picks are :
- The cute tweed short peacoat in brown or black and white: it looks expensive but now it’s 50% off which is about $70. Love this back with skinny red jeans and a simple grey knit. Add your pointy toe heels and you are the bomb.
- The black stretchy short jersey peacoat with silver military buttons and the all important epaulettes: Take this out of store and wear with some chic jeans and a stripe Tee and voila! it will look more expensive now on sale from $149 to about $70. As check out the camel belted crop jacket now on sale about $70.
- if you are loving your legs half your luck: You should have the cute black leather mini skirt for an outrageous $129, Wear with a slouchy chunky knit a la Celine. Remember it’s always about mixing up and contrasting the tough with the soft, the feminine with the masculine and the country with the city. Add some Chanel biker boots. Love !
- Buy the flared very J brand looking wide leg 70’s faded jeans : Cool. $89
Looking great here: This week I want:
- The stone cotton parka /cape with a fur trim on the hood : we love a cape and this is the perfect weekend casual jacket that also looks fashion darling. You can’t be a dag just because it’s the weekend. The best thing about this number? it will look like you have skinny legs peeking out from under it. I have a feeling the fur car is detachable $199.
- Adore the cream chunky cotton poloneck sweater. it has a longer hem at the back: very Celine and I love it. You can wear as Celine showed it with a black leather pencil skirt for a more sophisticated look or just invest in this for those weekends in the country. If you had to list the must have wardrobe essentials then a chunky cream poloneck sweater is up there with a trench. If you are old enough you will remember Caroline Bessette Kennedy rocking the look. Hint: White next to the face takes years off what is there not to love? $89
- Try on the fabulous green mohair style tweed gathered skirt. It’s the coolest. Why? it’s a great little number to shoosh up the wardrobe. It’s in an interesting texture : very Prada style hairy fabric which is good that it’s not in a bright colour : god forbid! It’s a great shape: feminine without being a full on 50’s skirt but not as serious as a pencil skirt. It will love to be seen with brown and back and navy and all those short crop biker jackets you have. An instant wardrobe updater. $169
My picks this week? I am concentrating on accessories:
- You want the fabulous cream and grey print wool scarf with tiny beading: it’s gorgeous : very Dries van Noten if I am not mistaken: It’s quite luxurious and the silver beading is not tacky at all : there is not a photo…sad to say but it is very chic: $99 approx.
- I Love a clutch : wear for day or evening. I insist you buy the double Zip Clutch : Now on sale $119. The whole punk/zip/stud look is here for another season so get used to it. Or did you think those zips were there for a reason and for getting into pockets? Bless.
- Loving the grey “suede” converse style sneakers $119: roll up your chinos or jeans to wear them or they will work with long slouchy grey flannel pants. More interesting than ballet flats and warmer too.
- In the weather we all need gloves so for fun you should try on the Faux Fur Trim Gloves. $69. We need all the fur trim we can get to razz up the wardrobe.
- I am not sure it’s an accessory but I do like the Sleeveless Cowl Neck Tunic in navy: yes, it’s very inspired by Celine ( but isn’t everyone?) I love that you can wear over a shirt with skinny pants or back with a leather skirt. It’s a fab go-out -to dinner style top where you don’t have to think : what will I wear under my jacket when I take it off at the restaurant? it’s arm free and looks fabulous at the dinner table. $129
AG Arthur Galan
I must say I do love the AG collection this season. I take alot of clients here: The prices are great and the fashion is more exciting than the usual main stream labels. Very nspired by a few overseas designers like Celine, Chloe and Vanessa Bruno but it’s done sometimes in a more subtle way. So you don’t look like you are actually wearing a rip off. Just something chic.
My picks are:
- The fabulous Celine inspired sleevless long wool melton vest : it’s a sleeveless jacket really : very structured and quite long : it goes to about mid thigh so it covers all those french fries and the bearnaise sauce you have been eating. Love it over a long sleeve tee and with skinny pants. About $450
- You should have the divine black leather tee with black rib sleeves: yes, again very Celine /Chloe inspired but why not? The rib short sleeve make it much easier to wear . Love with a jeans or with slouchy wide pants. Love anything that is trans seasonal : You can wear this now and then virtually into summer. It will look great with a full skirt or with something flirty too. The funny thing is that this leather Tee first appeared on the runway in 2009! Fashion doesn’t move as fast you think !
- check out the divine black or navy wool melton soft straight narrow coat with a double lapel all the way along from top to bottom. This is gorgeous and has a belt as well. You should invest in this and wear forever. One of those coat that are versatile with a capital V . With skinny cargoes or over a LBD or floral dress : whatever ! it’s a winner. About $600
- Also chec out the fabulous scarves , the chic crop jackets and the best dresses with leather trim. Also great here for print dresses if you have something special .
CK Calvin Klein
So many gorgeous pieces here but some might say these are first class prices; Sorry but it’s nice to drool.
My picks are:
- You should buy the black drape neck knit top with a loose shape $300. A basic to throw with everything you own.
- Adore the silver lurex drape loose top : it’s a soft grey and will work with slim high waist pants $279.
- There are fabulous sharp shaped black architectural dresses : about $500: Divine !
- You could live in the Poncho top in an oatmeal cashmere $600. I die.
- Love the very simple round neck wool melton, minimal , straight and simple coats $900.
- You will cry over the black leather blazer : the softest leather and quite divine. $1900.
- The grey fur chubby jacket is ( cough, cough) $3800. It’s fabulous and I am sure it will find a lovely home for that price.
- You want the grey softest wool melton straight minimal coat with a simple crossover V neck and with outrageously luxurious fur sleeves: Gorgeous and I could just die in it. Bananas! $2900
Ricotta and Silverbeet Ravioli ….adulterated from cuisine.com.au
its winter and time for pasta! Please buy the wonton wrappers and you can make this in an instant : it’s very relaxing putting it together : Think of it as craft.
You can use spinach but silverbeet has a more substantial flavour.
You need for 6 chicks, 2o models and about 4 hungry teenagers.
pinch of grated nutmeg
6 tbsp grated parmesan
1/2 bunch silverbeet, leaves only, cooked, squeezed dry and chopped
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
wonton wrappers or pasta if you have it
Butter and sage sauce
8 sage leaves (approx)
salt and pepper
freshly grated parmigiano cheese, to serve
- Climb into your Gucci pyjamas.
- Pull on your Hermes slippers.
- pour a humongous glass of wine and gulp.
- Now cook the silverbeet in boiling water
- When it’s cooked after a minute or so you can squeeze out the water and chop it up
- Now get a bowl and throw in the ricotta, nutmeg, parmesan, silverbeet and egg and mix together.
- Gulp down another wine.
- You might need George Clooney to read this to you if it’s now out of focus. Bless. Hic.
- Season with lots of french sea salt and pepper.
- Open up the wontons: you need two wrappers for each ravioli as it’s quite messy and will fall out if you use just one.
- Dollop a teaspoon of the mixture on each wonton; makign sure you have enought wonton tops
- You can brush between the edges with a little watered-down egg wash if you can be bothered or you can use water.
- When you have used all the ricotta mix it’s time to place the other wonton top over the mix.
- Now carefully press down around each one. TIP: if you are too tired and drunk then I suggest you ask George to do it.
- Sprinkle with a little flour and place on tea towels while you finish the rest of the dough and filling.
- When you are ready to eat, ( when are you not?) then you can cook the ravioli : its; done when it floats to the top.
- So while the water is boiling you can whip up the butter sauce. S
- Toss the naughty but nice butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- When the butter gets excited and starts to foam- like you in Prada -then throw in the sage leaves and a little salt and pepper.
- Turn it off when you see the butter turn as golden brown as Chloe bag.
- Talk about smelling delicious!
- Carefully drain the ravioli and then arrange chicly on a white platter.
- drizzle over the divine butter sauce and accessorise with a good sprinkling of parmesan.