Designers weigh in on John Galliano : is it the fashion industry that is driving its creative talents to the brink? Asks WWD
Karl Lagerfeld: “I see designing, running a company, like a high-level athletic activity,I don’t want to hear anything about the fragility or any of those things. If an athlete is too fragile to run, he cannot run. And this is exactly the same. You don’t accept this kind of business if you’re too much of an artist.
Marc Jacobs: “You don’t think bank tellers have problems? You don’t think people in the middle of the suburbs have problems? ”
Mert Alas ” Of course we’re all under pressure. The bus driver is under pressure. But, you know, it’s how you come out of it. If you can make good fun with it, pressure can be enjoyable.”
Pierre Bergé: “I have a lot more sympathy for people who have to take the train to work every day. What a load of nonsense! No, no, no, Designers are artisans who are extremely privileged to have a poetic profession. They are not artists. We have to stop saying that they are.”
Michael Kors “I mean, I forget what season I’m in sometimes”
Karl Lagerfeld “I believe in discipline, so I’m not the right person to cry about weakness and things like this, but maybe I’m not human.”
Yes, I know it’s very difficult to think about wearing winter clothes when it’s still warm outside. But if we can’t wear them we can still dream, drool and die over what we want when the weather gets chilly.
First item to buy ? Click here to read FiFi’s daily Blog
If you are a fashion follower (or a time poor dag who has to read The FiFi Report to know what’s going in the world) then you would know that Olivier Theyskens, who was previously at Rochas and Nina Ricci, is now artistic director for Theory. You know Theory? Click to read more on FiFi’s Daily Blog
Reasons to love the new Pantene Pro V Clinicare shampoo:
- Because your hair is frizzy and your name is not Beyonce.
- Because you have been swimming and sunning all summer .
- Because after swimming you wash your hair nearly every day and you can’t afford a seriously expensive shampoo.
- Because you spent the designer shampoo money on a Celine bag.
- Because it leaves your hair smoother, supple and shiny. It’s a miracle worker!
- Because after using it I was showered in compliments. ( a very good reason).
- Because it revives your hair by introducing a protective coating on the hair fibre.
- And we all need a new coat for winter.
$14.99 Pantene Pro V Clinicare micro repair revitalising shampoo from speciality stores, supermarkets, and pharmacies. Panteneclinicare.com.au
Givenchy’s Riccardo Tisci has collaborated with Visionaire on its 60th bookzine. And if these sneak peeks are anything to go by it will be an amazing issue. Click here to read more on FiFi’s Daily Blog
Good news! A totally brand new slide show has been updated in FiFi’s favourite Finds. (Yes, up there on the right side of your screen!) To help you - the time poor shopper- I will regularly post a new slideshow of the must have item. It could be the hottest shoes, bags, dresses, capes or furry vests!
There is a link under every photo which will means you can buy anything you are drooling over instantly. That should make shopping easy!
Follow me on twitter for instant alerts for when I post something new in FiFi’s Daily blog or a new slide show.
You can always get great classic pieces here for every day. My picks are:
- The stone cape jacket with a hood is a winner. This piece - a cape slash trench slash poncho - has been lurking on the fashion horizon since last season and I think there will be a few variations of this look as we get into winter. It’s a cool look. Yes, it’s big and roomy but not as unflattering as you would think. Best to wear with a narrow pant so you don’t look like the Michelin Man. It’s the perfect yummy mummy piece and I like it because you can wear right now: it’s not too heavy. $169
- You want the fabulous 70’s A- Line suede skirt with front pockets. A must buy. It’s in a great luxury style fabric and is a very flattering cut. The skirt is a huge trend: it’s the new dress. Bet you didn’t know that did you?! But it’s all the fashion pack are wearing: You see the skirt has not been around as significant fashion piece for a few seasons. Pencil skirts are the exception because they are a classic. Anyway you can wear this skirt now with wedges and a short sleeve grey marle tee or we love the idea of wearing it with a white poloneck and a crop jacket. It needs a crop jacket to show off the waist. $299
- You must have the long sleeve rayon knit tee that has colour blocking. It’s loose and so you need to wear- I repeat- with a narrow pant or skirt. Love the splicing of the colours: the grey and the taupe. So chic. This blocking of stripes was a big trend again on this season’s runway . Meaning it’s a look that will hang in there. Good price too $69.
- You want the chic de la chic choc brown suede ankle boots. So much more feminine than those stomp-a-licious boots don’t you think? The fine heel is really quite easy to wear and they have an hidden platform so it has sneaky little height helper. How clever. Even though I am not so keen on suede you can waterproof these and wear all winter with everything. Including skirts. $269.
You really have to snoop around to find the more groovier pieces. But hey, that’s what I do for you. At your service! My picks are:
- The fabulous stretch khaki cargo skirt. Yes, it’s time to get into more skirts. This is very Dries van Noten Inspired. This is a good thing. Love the idea of a touch of khaki in the wardrobe. It will add a big fashion punch of fabulousness to all your black and grey. It instantly says “this season” which is why you should only be paying $99! Wear this with a black crop peacoat and ankle boots and you are done for the season.
- Talking about skirts the hot look is a skirt that is longer. Just over the knee. Say good bye to all those mini skirts you have been wearing. Ha! So last season darling. Short, tight is over. It’s now a longer and leaner look. So I say you should check out the very 70’s button through long pencil skirt . So cool. $129.
- Check out my fav pick: the grey cape which I have mentioned before and is a perfect little weekend number $119.There is also a fab stripe knit. Stripes are a trend that was all over the Spring/ summer runways last October and is here to stay. Anyway who wants to wear florals when stripes are so much chicer? $99
- There is a fabulous grey short peacoat ( as seen in the FiFi Fav Finds there up on the right of the screen!) and this is a winner. Toss with grey skinny cargoes and heels. Try with a denim pencil skirt or a leather skirt. Love the brown buttons because they will work with tan boots and /or bag. how can you go wrong? $299.
Always worth nicking in here: every winter they seem to do some great leather jackets.
- You want the black leather military jacket: The front zip is not too over the top and neither are the side pockets. It’s in a leather that is crinkly and vintage looking. Throw it on with everything you own. $199
- If you want a very fashion jacket to wear and thrash for a season and you don’t want to spend too much while you do it then you must have the Zip front cotton black military jacket with all the kerfuffle military bits on the front like stitched panels and zips. The rules when wearing this? Make sure you ditch any jewellery, scarves and anything that will want to fight with all this trickery. Wear with plain black, grey, brown or navy. $89
- I see a cute black loose knit sweater with a round neckline. It has a few buttons along the neckline. It’s very Rodarte inspired (if you half scrunch your eyes up). Meaning? It could be a spider web knit. Anyway the point is you need to wear a tank or tee under it and let it hang loose over a pencil skirt or jeans. You can see it’s all about a narrow bottom. If only I had one! $49
- You want the very handy black cord narrow blazer. It’s in a very tailored shape, yes please! but because it’s in cord it’s very versatile casual little number. You can wear it with everything and watch when it falls in a heap and dies of exhaustion at the end of winter. You know it will for $89.
Head here for casual jackets, shirts and knits. My picks are:
- Are you over the military look yet? It’s everywhere so get used to it for another season. Of course if you had bought a military jacket years ago when The FiFi Report first told you ten you would have had years of wear. Anyway I quite like the sharpness of the buttons and military details on all the jackets that are around. It means you don’t have to worry about jewellery because your jacket is wearing it. So check out the fab leather military jacket here. It’s in a rather nice leather and is isngle breasted and very Edwardian in shape. The tailoring means you can wear it undone without I looking too bulky. You can wear with all the usual suspects but also it will look fab over a dress. But you knew that. $599.
- Check out the cute grey chunky sweater with button detail on the shoulders. Love it tossed with a leather skirt. A perfect little number to wear to dinner under a jacket. When it gets cold in May $179.
- You want the chic lace up suede wedge ankle boots. As predicted these will be everywhere. I like the dusty colour. Perfect with a skating skirt or pretty dress. or with your favourite wide leg pants $269.
Always great pieces you want to wear right now. My picks are:
- You can see the utility look is still huge in the shops. I suggest you invest in a few pieces to inject a bit of sporty luxe and edge into your wardrobe. You got to have the stone cape/parka. It’s great for wearing right now when it’s not freezing because it has short sleeves. Love it with something that contrasts it , something sophisticated like a leather skirt. Love it with classic black peg leg pants and heels. You can see this working as well with high waist jeans. Yes, you could wear it to the park if you must. $179.
- Buy one of the silk equipment style shirts. I like the cream but it is see through- don’t you hate that?- so maybe go for the black. You should wear it tucked in even though it’s long. It’s sexy and chic. I have been going on and on about these shirts since we first spotted the fabulous Carine Roitfeld wearing one a year ago. I like the way they have showed here under the chunky Celine style knit $149. But you can click here to see it in detail ( and buy it) on the country Road website.
- Check out the new khaki knit sweater just arrived instore with gold sequin shoulders. Sounds over the top but no, it’s just a few scattering of sequins on the edge of the shoulders. It’s a great shade of khaki and another way to get um, er, colour in your wardrobe. Keep to table top dressing: Black on the bottom and add tops like this and you will never get it wrong. So please put away that Prada banana print skirt !! $129. It’s a neat fit which means, as you can see here in the photo , it works under the peacoat (which is also a must buy of the season. $299).
Shoes ! You can never have enough shoes. Ever.
- So did you know that in every fashion show over the last couple weeks in Milan, Paris and New York the designers had swapped heels for flats? It’s true. Just check out the latest ( amazing) Chanel show on Vogue.com . This could be good news for some and bad news for those of us who love heels. But if you were after a lace up brogues then my pick would have to be the black lace up brogues here. The idea is that you wear these with something feminine like a a Chanel tweed jacket and frou frou skirt. Or with a dress a la Alexa Chung.
- If you want a pair of heels that are going to work with your skinny cargoes and your new leather skirt then I suggest the black pumps. They are so right in their simplicity and when you see how good they look with that narrow ankle on your skinny jeans you will get it. $139. For your wide leg jeans you need wedges called Telais for $139.
- If you want a heeled hiking boot then check out the Atlanta that lace up with a fur lining. Hopefully it will get cold enough to wear them. $229.
Raw beetroot , Dill and Mustard seed salad
A lovely salad to serve in summer ! The crunchy beetroot is fabulous with the tangy mustard seeds and fresh Dill. Click here to read on FiFi’s Daily Blog