“Did I really earn this or did I just wear you all down? Sandra Bullock
“No one ever recognizes me… I had to tell a recent driver of mine that I was nominated for an Oscar and he said, ‘For what? Costumes, make-up?’ Vera Farmiga
“Anyone who’s ever worked with Meryl Streep always says the same thing: can that woman act! And what’s with all the Hitler memorabilia?” Host Steve Martin
“Meryl, you know what I think of you and you are such a good kisser” Sandra Bullock
“The thought that I’ll have a two-legged man in my room tonight is so exciting, I can’t stand it.” Honorary Academy Award recipient Lauren Bacall
“I was living in a car; you don’t date a guy who is living in a car.” “Avatar” Sam Worthington (on his pre-fame days).
“A fantasticially fantastic Mr. foxy Fox. Or, in the words of my mother’s co-workers, ‘He’s just so dreamy.’ ” Vera Farmiga on the wonder who is George Clooney
“I even voted for Jeff Bridges, so all I know is you sit back and say, ‘Jeff, keep your speech short!’” George Clooney.
“Ladies and gentlemen, the show took so long that Avatar now takes place in the past.” Co-host Steve Martin, wrapping it up.
It’s time to do something for charity.
And for women whose lives have been shattered by war. Bless.
‘Harper’s Bazaar Uk has bought together some of the top British female designers to create a range of ‘must have’ limited edition T-shirts in aid of Women for Women International, a charity helping women in war zones.
From Alice Temperley, Bella Freud, Charlotte Dellal, to Pringle of Scotland, Savannah Miller for Twenty8Twelve, Tamara Mellon for Jimmy Choo, and Nicole Farhi each designer has stamped her mark so that each t-shirt design is wildly individual.
£30 Women for women Harper’s Bazaar T-shirt from Net a Porter. Cool.
Reasons why you want an Equipment shirt;
- Because Carine Roitfeld has been wearing them.
- Because Carine Roifeld looks fabulous wearing them.
- Because Carine Roitfeld’s husband used to design them way back in 80’s
- Because Carine Roitfeld’s husband is re launching the label.
- Because it looks so relaxed and chic with a leather pencil skirt.
- Because it will be less expensive than the Celine version.
- Because we haven’t seen this look for years.
- Because it’s time to say hello again to a breezy, loose, silky man style shirt with patch pockets.
- Because it’s instant dressing with insouciance.
- Because even if you can’t pronounce it, you want to look it.
$218 Equipment shirts from Saks (who ship to Australia) and try Country Road. I spied one instore yesterday! Celine from Style.com
Tattoos rhyme with ewww.
Cheap. Tacky. Common.
Oh and ugly.
But not when it’s a Chanel tattoo.
Not when it’s a temporary Chanel trompe L’oeil tattoo transfer.
Not when it’s a temporary Chanel tattoo transfer in the shape of pearls and interlocking C’s and pretty little sparrows.
It’s beauty for the body.
Get yourself some ink as a bracelet, necklace or decoration for the legs.
Then you can wash them off.
Buy 55 for $90. It might be the only Chanel pearls you ever own.
Launched at the Spring show last October they have now arrived in store at the Chanel Boutiques. Call 02 9233 4800
Kate Moss on her 29th Cover for UK Vogue April issue. Vogue.co.uk
The glamour, the glitz! It’s the Vanity Fair Oscars party..woo hoo! Vanityfair.com
Adriana Lima, Bar Refaeli, Laetitia Casta, and Elle Macpherson Add Voluptuousness to Louis Vuitton’s Fall 2010 Runway …Fashionologie.com
‘Alexander McQueen’s last works were given final honors by his trusted team in a hushed and dignified showing that went to his core as a designer who scaled the heights of couture accomplishment.’ says style.com
Why is French Vogue banned from Balenciaga? Outrageous ! nymag.com
See the AMAZING Chanel show: icebergs! Fur! and snowmen! chanelnews.
Karl Lagerfeld has been tapped to shoot the next Pirelli calendar. “I’ll do it in my studio in Paris. It’s too obvious to have a beach setting .wwd.com
Cathy Horyn: “Between Miuccia Prada in Milan and Marc Jacobs at Vuitton we saw the return of the lush, full-hipped woman, her breasts served up like ripe fruit.” Runway.blogs.
Jennifer Aniston now launches a fragrance.Of course she does. elleuk.com
Aquascutum Designers Heading to Bally. Goodbye Brian Atwood...fashionweekdaily.
Colette, the divine store in Paris is giving over a wall of the store’s gallery space to Tommy Ton’s street photos for style.com
Aussie Model Abbey Kershaw chats away a little too much she say sher brain is fried…mmm…Timesonline. See the mad video here youtube.com
Michael Douglas on the cover of Vanityfair.com
Jennifer Aniston and Gerard get hot in W mag wmagazine.com
Models are everywhere : Now on the cover of Rolling stone Brazil rollingstone.com.br
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Hardcover) ….by Rebecca Skloot
It’s the book everyone is talking about and it sounds fascinating :
‘Honestly, I can’t imagine a better tale.
A detective story that’s at once mythically large and painfully intimate.
Just the simple facts are hard to believe: that in 1951, a poor black woman named Henrietta Lacks dies of cervical cancer, but pieces of the tumor that killed her–taken without her knowledge or consent–live on, first in one lab, then in hundreds, then thousands, then in giant factories churning out polio vaccines, then aboard rocket ships launched into space. All of which is to say: the science end of this story is enough to blow one’s mind right out of one’s face.
But what’s truly remarkable about Rebecca Skloot’s book is that we also get the rest of the story, the part that could have easily remained hidden had she not spent ten years unearthing it: Who was Henrietta Lacks? How did she live? How she did die? Did her family know that she’d become, in some sense, immortal, and how did that affect them? These are crucial questions, because science should never forget the people who gave it life. And so, what unfolds is not only a reporting tour de force but also a very entertaining account of Henrietta, her ancestors, her cells and the scientists who grew them.The book ultimately channels its journey of discovery though Henrietta’s youngest daughter, Deborah, who never knew her mother, and who dreamt of one day being a scientist ‘ Jad Abumrad
$15 Publisher: Crown; 1 edition (February 2, 2010) www.amazon.com
Yves Saint Laurent (Hardcover)….by Farid Chenoune
Watch out for this fabulous book! Out in June. ‘One of the most distinctive and influential designers of the second half of the twentieth century, Yves Saint Laurent takes his place in the pantheon of French couturiers, alongside Coco Chanel, Christian Dior, and Jeanne Lanvin. Yves Saint Laurent, the first comprehensive retrospective of his life’s work, will accompany an exhibition of some 250 garments from the collection of the Fondation Pierre Bergé-Yves Saint Laurent at the Petit Palais in Paris.
From his early days working under Dior and heading the House of Dior after his mentor’s death, to the opening of his first prêt a porter shop on the Rive Gauche and the debut of the Le Smoking tuxedo, to the muses he adored, Loulou de la Falaise and Catherine Deneuve among them, this volume reveals the breadth and scope of the designer’s entire career. With a preface by Pierre Bergé, author Faride Chenoune explores the sources of inspiration that drove Saint Laurent’s continuous innovation, drawing upon painting, sculpture, theater, opera, literature, and cinema.’ Yes please !
$34.65 Publisher: Abrams (June 1, 2010) www.amazon.com
It’s a great season this winter: what a relief to see so much chic black, grey and brown. What a joy to find so many grown up, sophisticated clothes instead of frou frou short summer dresses and (oh so aging) floral prints…
- Woo hoo: Love and adore the chic black leather, gathered pleated skirt $249 : A must buy . Leather is a big trend for this winter and next summer so invest now. Wear this with casual Tee’s and a long line grey cardigan. Please don’t wear it with a leather jacket unless you have a whip.
- Another fabulous piece you must buy is the black leather frill jacket $499; Isn’t it gorgeous? This type of serious tailoring makes the leather much more feminine and the frill on the hips takes the tough edge off. Love this with everything from grey jeans to a pencil skirt or peg leg pants. Thank you Witchery.
- Everyone needs a brown faux fur vest $199. You surely would have bought one last year when instructed? You can still invest now because this trend ain’t going nowhere honey!. Love a fur vest because you can wear it out for dinner and it will jooch up your entire wardrobe.
- Everyone needs the short crop, peep toe ankle boots $189. Wear with skirts, dresses and those peg peg pants. Wear sitting down.
- Oh, and why not buy the very, very Balenciaga inspired bag? ( see in Vogue.com all the models reviving the IT bag even after 10 years) $269 in a chic-go-with-anything ‘mocca.’
Looking great here with pieces that work for any age. Such as my good self. What? Just because you’re over 30 you start to think you can’t shop at these stores; Oh, shut up and start shopping! Perfect for the wallet challenged..
- The over the knee boot is a must for winter and really, it’s not too over the top if you go for the flat ‘puss in boots’ style. Love the black, flat, long over the knee boots $219. There are also some suede over the knee heeled boots but suede can be tricky to keep looking clean.
- You want the fabulous cheap but chic jeweled necklaces $29 ( see more photos soon on FiFi’s blog). What a choice! They are on the tipping point of the trend but why were big jewel necklaces not on the red carpet? Those actresses should get a little more adventurous in fashion. There is an exception; Carey Mulligan. Now she rocked the look with a big Marni necklace and looked divine!. see redcarpet-fashionawards.com.
- Love the very Marni inspired beige/ mushroom patent slouch bag with black resin handles . It also has a Chanel style, chain strap which is interesting. $59. A bag in a neutral colour is always nice because it lifts the whole look. This looks way more expensive than $59 non?
- You want the long sleeve stripe tops $69: there are a few but I love the knit stripe dress or is it a long top? And there are a few stripe Tees. Sure the stripe Tee is everywhere but this look is like a trench: always chic.
- Love the black satin clutch with jeweled clasp: It’s lovely and I can’t believe it’s only $29; as I always say :Italian Vogue is more expensive.
- Love the caramel suede lace-up wedges : so right, so need them, so want them, so why not? $159
The only place to go for cheap but chic jewellery. Don’t be scared of all that bright pink. Or seeing yourself in the mirror under a fluorescent light: Once you take this jewelery out of the shop and wear it back with the Balenciaga it looks totally different.
- Love the black jewel and velvet chocker $24. I mean, really. How can it be $24? The idea is to wear these necklaces in the day with chinos and a stripe Tee. oh and a trench. Keep it simple….
- Ditto the black silver jewelled brooch necklace for $12. Yes, it’s $12. Less than lunch and you didn’t need that anyway.
- Why not go for the colour button necklace that seems so Marni-ish; I think you need to buy 2 of them to pile it up and make a statement non? Love this with a floral dress or back with a grey marle Tee.
- I have been raving about stud leather cuffs for seasons: so why spend fortune when you can get a cuff or stud bangle here for $19 . Mix it back with your Hermes watch and no one will ever know.
- Oh , after seeing the gorgeous big pendants at the Lanvin show (as seen here…divine non?) I am on the hunt for big, fat pendants. Also the stud trend is still hanging in there next season. If Lanvin is doing it then you know it’s right. And really when it’s just $19 do you really care if you don’t get the wear out of it? NO.
- Who can believe that these grey suede over the knee flat boots are just $49? Perfect for those who are budget conscious but still want to look chic. Just make sure you spray with protector because scuffed dirty boots look cheap. They are a lovely dark grey so look much more expensive don’t you think?.
- Yes, I have already mentioned many reports ago but the leather jackets here are fabulous value: Love the black military leather jacket with brass buttons and the drape cardigan Rick Owens style jacket for $149.
- And if you have skinny stick insect legs then you must try on the J society black Enigma skinny jeans in a black. $99. Oh la la . Love with a sharp shoulder jacket and a cool Tee. and cute little peeptoe boots.
- And I must say the maxi dresses here are still wanting, begging to go home with you. They are getting a little lonely. So is the cute little sun dress, almost caftan, in red/grey/ cream cotton; it’s called a “paisley tunic dress” $79. Yes, I have reported on it before but my job is to tell you what’s the best to buy in each store so I must repete a little ( I refuse to write about pieces you don’t want!)
Jac + Jack
Love their new store in William St , Paddington and the prices are fabulous for the quality. My picks are:
- The fabulous light grey /cream V neck sweater in fine cotton cashmere with ¾ sleeves : $240. So lovely to wear on it’s own or over a white Tee or tank. Such a nice light fine knit that you can wear in Sydney without dying of heat exhaustion.
- it’s all about the dress: Once you get addicted to tossing them on in the morning and walking out the door you can’t go back. Love the black cowl neck dress with side pockets; Wear now, wear into winter.$360
- Oh, and adore the black off the shoulder dress with a elastic detail neckline in a superfine merino jersey $360 ( also in a gorgeous milk choc or more like latte to me).It has NO hanger appeal and you will not want to try it on but see how cute it looks ? and it covers and skims those almond croissants still living on the hips.
- You want the cotton jersey box shape V neck Tee $99. E.A.S.Y.
- Try on and then kiss and smooch the lovely grey ombre cashmere scarf ( you will live in it ): it’s quite fabulous for you $280
Love this store! The home wares are divine. And the clothes, from the Fillipa K to the Funkis’ own label, all have a certain quality and understated Swedish chic .
- You want the amazing Marimekko cotton tunic dress in a hot pink with black flowers print : it has a self belt about $300. Will look great with bare legs or heels and opaque tight. You could even toss a black fur vest over the top for more drama.
- Love the long sleeve cotton jersey Marimekko grey Tee dress with flower print $250. So easy to wear now if you a print. Marimekko is really classic and defies trends so you can’t go wrong.
- I love and adore the black duffle cape /top $175. The cape is a huge trend for this season and next and a must buy: Love this! Toss over everything you own: from jeans to a pencil skirt to shorts and over the knee boots. True. OK, maybe not over a dress but it will fab over your PJ’s.
- Buy the fabulous black rope necklaces that you can knot : so chic and dramatic but not glitzy at all. Yes, the necklace is just really several stands of cotton rope with absolutely no silver or gold. But so dramatic and perfect to toss over the most boring thing you own. It might actually wake them up.
- Adore the denim, bomber zip jacket from, Fillipa K. Easy dressing;
- And, of course can we talk about the clogs? Yes, we can . They are here in black or red or a chic caramel suede for $149.
Always great pieces for fab prices: My picks this week are :
- Love the grey wool melton peacoat with brown leather buttons $299: we all need a peacoat and grey is always so easy to toss over black. A peacoat is perfect instead of a winter coat which we don’t really need here in Sydney. Sorry Wellington. Plus it’s ideal for work or back with a stripe Tee and jeans. Tres french non?
- You want the cool digital print tunic in blues, black and white $149 . it’s sleeveless so lovely to toss on toute suite. Of course it has a self belt but even Country Road ditched it in their shot with a more outre belt. Good idea. This is so right for wearing now and then later in the colder months you can layer it under your jacket. Digital prints are a huge trend.
- Love the short crop , black ( of course) double breasted blazer in a fabulous fabric with serious shoulder pads $299; I like how they are showing with grey pants and that fab knit with shoulder pads $119. OH , please: Stop complaining. Just buy a jacket with shoulder pads and get over it. They are here to stay.
- Buy the navy drape wrap jersey skirt that looks like it would show every bump but in fact it skims and sucks it in so you never see a thing: It’s like a more sexier pencil skirt 4129. Oh, and we love navy and black together. We do.
Mimco is on sale: How thoughtful. Just when we needed some fabulous jewels
My picks are:
- The fabulous silver chunky necklace called ‘Tomorrow’ but you can have it today! It’s reduced to $263 from $329. Love it and you will wear into next season I can assure you. Oh hell, just wear it this season and you will get your money’s worth non? This is what I call an instant wardrobe updater. No one will even notice you are wearing old daggy outfit from 2 seasons ago.
- Love the ‘Poison; black and silver and glass, jet pear, twisted short necklace now $183 from $229. Ditto.
- You want the big mama black jet ring : it’s a stunner ! It’s a ‘Plated pewter based ring with adjustable back and set resin cabochon with central Swarovski crystal stone.’ So there…and it’s $129 from $159. Add drama , add signature look, add personality. ( why is it called poison?)
- And can we talk about shoes? I know the pointy shoe kitten is coming back but I am so scared of it. The heel is so low. Of course it’s the hot look and they are here at mimco.com.au. On sale at about $239. Buy now and you will wear for the next 5 years : I promise. (But it might take you that long to get used to the idea)
My two favourite shows in Paris? Celine and Lanvin. Both modern and chic. Everyone was raving about them. Louis Vuitton and Prada both went very 60s’ but why go retro in a new decade in a new century? Celine looked so fresh and clean and minimalist. Navy, black, white, and leather. For a sophisticated woman. So right. But I am scared: is that sheer pantyhose I see? OMG. Please no. Checkout the Celine show reviews from Style.com
Here are my 3 favourite looks:
And my 3 of my favourites from the divine Lanvin show from Style.com
A fabulous recipe with absolutely no calories, perfect for a summer dinner party. … adulterated from jamieoliver.com
(another delicious version and the photo from Bills at lifestylefood.com.au)
Make this ahead of time and toss in the freezer. Then whip it out to as the grand finale served on a platter. I made this with nectarines instead of Raspberries (Checkout another recipe here in The FiFi Report 116
Jamie says this makes enough for 12 people or 50 models. He is right. It’s so rich. I would use about 3/4 of it poured over the nectarines and use the rest of semi Feddo for later.
Hint: It’s a good idea to cook the nectarines in rosewater and a little sugar (and cool) ahead of time.
1 vanilla bean
1/4 cup sugar
4 large fresh egg
2 cups heavy cream, plus
2 tablespoons heavy cream
6 to 8 Nectarines
drizzle of sugar
2 teaspoons of rosewater.
- Climb out of your Chloe wedges: The air is different down here on earth non?
- Slip into your favorite grey marle track pants
- Pour a wine. Who cares if it’s midday? It’s drink o’clock somewhere in the world.
- Now you need 3 bowls: One for the whites, one for the yolks and one for cream.
- George Clooney can do the washing up.
- So get out the bowls ready for action.
- Remove the seeds from the vanilla bean by scoring down the length and scraping the seeds out of each half.
- Don’t throw out the vanilla bean: pop it in the sugar jar to store it and flavour the sugar.
- Now toss the vanilla seeds in with the sugar.
- Separate the egg yolks ( and put the whites in a third bowl) and toss in with the sugar.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and delicious as a Hermes Birkin.
- Now in a second bowl pour in all that delicious cream and ask George to beat it until soft peaks form. Think crème de Mer.
- Tell him not to over whip it. He can get carried away.
- Then in a third bowl you want to beat the egg whites with an electric mixer with a pinch of salt until they form very firm peaks. Think Balmain jackets. Think your hips after eating this.
- Now fold in the egg whites, then the cream into the egg yolk mix.
- And at this point you can add about half of either the nectarines (with most of the juice drained off) or raspberries. Then fold them through gently as you would a Prada cashmere sweater.
- Line the bottom of the log cake tin with the remainder of the nectarines.
- Not too much juice or it won’t freeze so well. ( keep the juice for drizzling later on)
- Now toute suite scoop the gooey mixture on top of the fruit in the cake tin.
- Cover with plastic wrap and whack in the freezer until you’re ready for an amazing dessert
- Serve it turned upside down with the fruit on top a chic platter.
- Divine. Thank you.