A word about black. It’s not just moi: Black is the big winter trend and it’s in the shops everywhere for winter. Tip: when you go for black you go for something with texture, shine, embroidery. To keep it interesting. If it’s plain black it should be in a new shape. Like a sharp shoulder jacket or peg leg pants. Then add accessories in a colour. And hints of grey.
What was on the runways of New York and on the horizon for next winter? Grey. Grey lots of gorgeous grey. oh and Black. A lot of black. Nuf said.
Always great fashion pieces here for whatever age you are:
- Love the faux fur sleeveless vest : it’s in a cream but apparently will come in a black in April which is good news. If you look like a sheep you should look like a black one don’t you think? This is a good one because it’s quite long. It’s the key piece of the season. You will live in it. Why? Because you will wear over a dress or over a blouse or a woll sweater. When it gets cold. Love a piece you can wear going out and you can keep in during dinner. ( hate it when you have a fabulous hero jacket and you have to take it off. $199
- I tried on the black chiffon wide slash neck dress covered in silver studs. Someone has to try these thing on don’t they? As you can see it has ¾ sleeves and can fall off the shoulder: you know the look.I think it’s a top for me not a dress. it’s a great piece for throwing on with jeans or skinny black pants $299
- Check out the handy black silky batwing sleeve slinky knit top. Again it’s a great trans seasonal piece that has a casual feel but isn’t too fashion. It’s a real toss it on and go kind of top. The silky, almost shiny, knit gives it a more interesting fashion edge. We all need a fashion edge non?$89
- Please buy the fabulous silver and gunmetal necklace :one of the best I have seen for the price. They are everywhere this season and a must buy. Please dpn’t wear with any other jewellery. It’s about the necklace not about being a Christmas tree. Ditch the earrings and bracelets if ypou a necklace or I will hit you. $89
- If you are a size 8 then you will be able to shimmy into the black and grey bandage dress in a heavy knit: it’s a very tight hope it sucks it all in kind of dress. the slinky dress is the new silhouette. Which means you can say goodbye to Tunics, Sorry. $149
- Check out the new version: black and white cross over strap bandage dress in a heavy knit $199
They seem to be doing some fabulous leather jackets for great prices.
- The best leather jacket I have seen for the price ( a key factor) is the black unlined drape, almost cardigan style leather jacket $159. As I mentioned last week in the item du jour: it’s all about the Rick Owens jacket and let’s face it everyone has copied it. Yes I said the word worse than saying FAT. Copied. But it’s true. At least they have good taste. I have seen people copy the wrong thing. Work that out. Anyway you want this leather jacket. The photo doesn’t do it justice. It’s got a snug tailored fit at the back and I love the stretchy knit under the sleeves for the muffin arms. Wear with anything: from a pencil skirt or harem pants. And you can wear it at dinner too.
- The other jacket to look at is the black leather military jacket with brass buttons: one of the nicest I have seen because it’s not too ” I am playing a trumpet in brass band” kind of jacket. The vintage style leather is probably a bit more substantial than the drape jacket and it double breasted and has brass buttons along the sleeves too. $199.
- There is also a fabulous light grey suede round neck bomber jacket with not too many zips : Grey is THE colour of the season and next winter so get into it now $149
- Still want a Maxi dress? Well let’s face it , it’s still summer isn’t it? So checkout the navy and cream silk dress in a greek pottery print. It has shoe string straps and a ruffle along the hem. Lovely for those weekends away or by the pool. $89
- Check out the jewellery here because there are some great cheap but chic pieces here …once you take them out of the store you can never tell where you got them. If you know what I mean.
- So yes there I was last week writing about the wrap Rick Owens jacket as the item du jour when what turns up this week in Portmans pray tell? The same jacket seen everywhere in grey. It’s not bad at all and I tried it on. $149.
- I know I know the stripe tee is everywhere but I love them. After a trench addiction I think I have a stripe Tee problem. Why not? Eeetz so very French non? So chic. So you must try the long sleeve navy and cream stripe knit Tee: and it has a cute little detail at the shoulder; is it a bird or plane, a shoulder pads or it is a seam? It’s a shoulder stitching. $59. Anyway when I think of stripes I think French: I think Balenciaga and I keep thinking about how Balenciaga did the stripe Tee and serious (pink!) blazer and the cargo style pants way back in 2007 . And what about that it was in 2002 that Balenciaga did parachute pants and sequins…which we are all wearing now
- If you need a day dress then try on the black ruffle silkydress with a ruffle along the hem and around the sleeves, and a cute little self belt…talk about easy dressing. Cute. $99
- If you want a dress that is a little more this season then breathe in , put away the almond crossant and slip into the grey Roland Mouret style grey jersey tight dress: As I mentioned last time it has cute little cap sleeves and slit details on the front. Spanx we love you. $99
- There is also a grey knit short sleeve and mini sweater dress with an open zip as the neckline , it’s very fitted but cute . Maybe wear it with over the knee boots or those crazy shiny black leggings. $59
- Love the accessories here: You should buy the black glomesh little evening bag for $19. Toss it back with your designer dress and no one would know. Also check out the fabulous big jet drop earrings $19. They look way more expensive. There are the very Prada style neckpieces on fabric. the fresh way to wear this is the way the girl in the Bobbi Brown pretty powerful campaign wears it With a stripe tee!. Cool
I zoomed into Myer this week to check what’s hot in the new winter collections ( and of course I write for Emporium magazine
The good news? You can now buy fashion at Myer online so check out the Pop up store
My picks are:
- Check out the fabulous beige grey leather jacket with puff shoulders, round neckline hidden zips and very fitted with a belt : it’s not to eb worn as a casual jacket. Love it with a pencil skirt or with jeans but it always needs to be done up to get the best shape don’t you think? $1250.
- Love the sleeveless fitted leather vest with over stitching with two zips on the side in a cream: it’s gorgeous and easy dressing when you layer it over a long sleeve grey knit tee. Wish it would get cold so I can wear this: I think I need to stand in front of the fridge. $750
- You want the fluffy fake fur chubby in a beige colour. It’s so cute to snuggle into and you will feel tres glamorous. Love this with jeans and a simple grey knit. Think it probably comes in black. The beige is a little too similar to the cat. $790.
Manning Cartel: ( also buy from frockaholics.com)
- If you are after a simple grey sleeveless top ( tip: you are) then you want the grey round neck tank here with a high drape neckline. But wait there’s more! It has silver small chain necklace or detailing along the neckline $199. A little see through but just wear a little tank under it.
- There is a chic caramel and black long sleeve stripe tee with little strips of shoulder pads on the outside sticking on the shoulders : If you know what I mean. You can see it here $249.
- And love the Draped Deconstructed Jacket , ‘Ratler’ jacket in Metallic Faux Snake $479. Very Rick Owens but hey why not? Love this toss over everything. Even the cat.
- Adore the grey metallic ruched leggings or ‘Ratler’ pants: the hot look if you can squeeze into them. They are probably stretchy so they might just do the trick. Love with the black jacket and the grey Tee $349
Camilla and Marc:
All very fashion here with serious shoulder pads…
My picks are
- You want the dark blue short peacoat with gold buttons in polished wool with epaulettes, short like a bomber: Love navy and black together. This is not too wintery and heavy so it’s great for Autumn. Love it with jeans and a white tee. Oh and heels : Always stomp a licious heels $690
- Of course I haven’t been to trench Rehab for weeks now but I can see that I would love the navy trench here: simple chic and so right. You will live in this: Sleep in this. Eat in this. I think it’s in black too. $1050
- You want the navy chiffon high heck sleeveless dress with a high neckline that comes in at the front with ribbon detailing, with a double hem $460
- Please buy the seriously shoulder pad blazer jacket in black silk faille blazer with zip exposed on the sleeves and the shoulder pads sit on top of the blazer. $680 ( see it here at frockshop)
- Check out all the short sexy dresses. Some one has to because I can’t wear them.
- There is a cream leather jacket on sale in Myer Sydney now half price for about $500.. But it may have left the building. As I often say it’s the perfect colour for playing with children, puppies or for cooking beetroot Gnocci.
What a great collection: my picks are:
- Love the fake fur chubby in a brown/grey with long hairy hair $545. Do I have to go on about furry vests? They were all over the runways in the New York last week and you know it’s a hot look.
- After a casual dress? You want the denim dress in a faded denim with a wide neckline and wide but shirt sleeves. It comes in at the waist. Might be daggy on the wrong body. On the wrong daggy body. I should know. It has roll up sleeves $345
- Love the out there and very chic grey patent pleather. Yes, a coat in a shiny crinkly patent. Oh la la . It’s pretty fabulous but only a few may be able to carry it off. It’s really a double breasted trench which is proabbaly why I am pulled to it like a moth to a flame. It has black buttons, belted. It’s fabulous $795
- Adore the sequin T-shirt dress, very loose, over sized and in very dark grey sequins on sale for you $289. it will skim over the bumps and will look so fab with heels and brown legs.
- The faded grey distressed denim blazer with one button is cool. And you can wear with everything. It’s like a fitted boyfriend jacket but in a soft denim. Go on you need it. Wear it over black and grey. $495
Another great New Zealander and a lot of fabulous pieces…
- Love the black silk wool shoulder padded jacket: a bit shiny fabric so it’s almost like a tuxedo waiters jacket, it has a puff on the shoulder $650. it’s great fabric and will work day to evening. Especially with peg leg pants and with a sequin tee or plain old grey marle tee.
- You want the navy/cream stripe crinkled chiffon wrap dress , it’s got cross over front and a few ruffles here and there but it’s rather fabulous with it’s own belt $690. There is a same fabric in a top with a few ruffles. You can see it below $440.
- Adore the black skinny pants $470. You need these. Everyone needs them. A wardrobe basic. And if I have to tell you how to wear it then I think you need to book a one on one FiFi shopping and style lesson. Bless. You should also have the black peg leg pants $470 in a shimmer fabric
- How utterly gorgeous is the short, caramel wool flannel bell skirt : luxurious and tres chic $374. It’s short and chic and will too divine with black. With over the knee boots. With a leather jacket. With fantastic legs. You need those. Not sure where you can buy them.
- You have to have the chic de la chic blue round neck Tee with 3 ruffles as sleeves. $360. Perfect little number.
- So you are after print and colour? Then grab the cute silky crepe de chine dress in a shift shape in a flag print in navy red and cream it’s cool $420
The goddess of fashion has spoken: hot off the press Prada Fall winter 2010! …Oh la la It;’s prim with a perverse streek!
‘Sex appeal - this collection had plenty. But in Prada’s world, it’s not about baring all, but covering it up, a point she made straight out of the gate with a plain black wool dress with long sleeves, high-cut neck and knee-length, A-line skirt ruffled at the hem. It was conservative, almost funereal, but for the suggestive, exaggerated darts at the bust. With her premise of endlessly chic, subverted classics, many of them plucked from her own repertoire, thus established, Prada went to town, sending out a legion of prim, proper ladies each with a subtle perverse streak. Some shapes were cast through a seemingly Sixties reference point, such as little jackets, with doubled-up collars, one knit, one fur, and matching skirts cut from thick black and camel ciré, that had the effect of high-gloss vinyl. That mood proved a staple, reappearing in mismatched marled cable knits, one of the collection’s biggest and best motifs. They came in chunky sweaters belted over skirts and a gorgeous swingy red-and-black coat. Such sturdy, librarian-chic daywear stood in striking contrast to the more glamorous evening pieces, including a black wool shift and coat, embroidered with slick jet beads down the front.’