- “When the Oscars were on, I had just given birth… I was sitting there with my twins - I couldn’t have been happier - but I was like, ‘How dope would it have been if I would’ve won the Oscar and been here in my hospital bed accepting the award? Thank you so much! I just want to thank the academy!’” J.Lo. …Dope!
- “My favorite stuff that I’ve ever found has been from trash cans, and I bought this incredible vest off a homeless guy recently.” Pop star Kesha Sebert. Sebert, who goes by the name of Ke$ha.
- “It’s all the money I’ll ever need, ‘Cause I’m f–king money!” Ke$ha talking about the dollar sign in her stage name. Charming. And a Dope.
- “The most unhappy Laura or I have ever been was when we heard we made ‘a pretty dress. we were laughing that if we could take our clothes and bury them, and in ten years take them out, we would actually be satisfied [with how they look].” Kate from Rodarte… then give to the homeless?
- “My job isn’t to tell your kids how to act or not to act… Your kids are going to make mistakes whether I do or not.” Miley Cyrus clarifying that she’s a role model, not a parent. Obviously not a role model. Dope
- “For the past three years I’ve thought about what to have done. I am absolutely beyond obsessed,” The Hills star Heidi Montag Pratt admits she’s addicted to plastic surgery getting ten procedures in one day. Not a role model. Beyond happy with herself.
- “I Google myself every afternoon.” George Clooney when asked if he ever googles himself. Me too!
- “I got Rob [Pattinson] to sign a copy of GQ: ‘To George, Best of Luck. Hang in there. Love, Rob.’ I gave it to George [Clooney] and George signed his Esquire back to him: ‘Dear Rob, Thanks for all the inspiration. I’m a huge fan. Love, George, two-time Sexiest Man Alive.’” Anna Kendrick
- Because a quilted shoulder bag with a chain strap continues to be the hot , hot accessory of the season.
- Because it’s in a light, easy to carry fabric.
- Because your physio will love you.
- Because it looks more expensive than $79.
- Because it will work day to night, with jeans or a dress.
- Because it’s $5,435 less than the original Chanel.
- Because sometimes you need a car instead of a designer bag.
$79 Quilted Fabric Bag from French Connection. (instores now)
Why: Because we are over glitter and opulence. Because it’s time to say good bye to the over-the-top noughties. Because clean minimalist white suddenly looks sophisticated, chic and effortless. Because understated looks right. Because it’s a huge trend for next summer and was all over the runways for spring summer 2010. Because it’s the perfect piece to wear right now.
Which: Look for dresses that are pretty or frilled. With cuts outs, a strong body hugging shape, one shoulder or architectural details.
Wear: With simple flats or outrageous heels… Wear with one piece of strong simple jewellery. Wear with great skin and lots of moisteriser.
- You want your skin to match your champagne.
- You want your skin to match your dazzling personality (hic!)
- You want light diffusing particles of shimmer on your face. Not just your shoes.
- You want an even skin tone. Not skin to match your crocodile bag.
- You need to wear broad spectrum SPF 20 sunscreen. At night.
- You need to keep up the appearance of being healthy and glowing when you walk through the doors of rehab.
- Tip: Buy a shade lighter to freshen up your face: A dark shade will intensify the sun kissed look.
- Hint: Highlight cheekbones, brow bones, and temples by dabbing it over your foundation for an extra-dewy look.
$41 Becca’s Shimmering Skin Perfector.
- Natalia Vodianova is on the cover of Vogue UK February. Check out the fab video with her and photographer Nick Knight as they talk through the look they have created for the issue.
- Rihanna is now on the cover of W magazine. See the video here.
- Check out the behind scenes video of the campagne printemps-été 2010 de Louis Vuitton on French Vogue but in English. Marc Jacobs chats about Lara Stone and is that Vanessa Traina lurking in the background as an assistant?
- You will love this video of Julia Restoin-Roitfeld! She adores navy and black (her mother told her to wear it) Miu Miu shoes and black!
- “The thought of a young successful actress designing an ethical fashion range might seem, at first glance, as nauseating as Katy Perry’s public adoration of Russell Brand. Both just seem too dutiful to be taken seriously. Yet, even though I quietly hoped Emma Watson would become tangled at the first hemp-woven hurdle when the collection was announced in September, she has actually created a very clever range for the retailer-with-a-conscience, People Tree.” Reports Times Online.
- Burberry will be live streaming its Burberry Prorsum Autumn Winter 2010 menswear show live from Milan on Saturday at 6PM (Milan time).
- Tamara Mellon says that “other than Jimmy Choo, Ugg Australia is the only other footwear I have in my wardrobe.” Which is now why they are collaborating on a women’s sheepskin footwear capsule collection called ‘Ugg & Jimmy Choo‘. Reports Fabsugar.
- Stella McCartney has a new muse: Alice In Wonderland. The designer has apparently teamed up with Disney to create a limited edition costume jewellery necklace and bracelet, ahead of the release of Tim Burton’s 3-D film in March. Can’t wait to see the movie! Reports Vogue UK.
- As of April, shoppers at the new Marc by Marc Jacobs store in Milan will be able to pull up a chair at the brand’s first cafe and bar. The boutique will be moving into Piazza del Carmine 6, which is nestled in Milan’s Brera district, says WWD.
- Will US Vogue girls have to take the subway to work? Quelle Horreur! Says the New York Post.
- For her Spring men’s ad campaign, Miuccia Prada commissioned Chinese artist Yang Fudong to create a short film. We’ll have to wait until January 18, when it goes live on www.prada.com, to catch the video. You can see a sneak shot here.
- Halston has signed a deal with Sarah Jessica Parker under which she is expected to take an active design role, possibly even that of creative director, for Halston Heritage, the company’s just-launched secondary collection. Which explains why she is wearing Halston in the PR shots from the new SATC movie… Reports WWD.
- Love the new s/s 2010 Chloe ads ! see them here
- Tiger is a Tiger on the cover of the Vanityfair
The mad, bad, naughty boy photographer Terry Richardson launched his blog over Christmas: check out his funny visual dairy and the cool people he has been hanging out with: gorgeous Josh Hartnett and his cute puppy, models Abbey Lee, Daria, Agnes, and Doutzen and an hilarious dancing video. There are cute sunsets shots at St Barts (he obviously went to the big party on St Barts with everyone who’s anyone including Orlando…). Love it.
- George Clooney to host Haiti Telethon. Of course. Us Magazine
- Heidi Montag is addicted to plastic surgery, covers face with scarf causing a kidnapping scare. People
- George is sill with that woman. Popsugar
- First 3D movie starring Roseanne Barr causes audience to flee. The Daily Squib
- Kate Moss had an affair with a Prince (his mother would have loved that). Vogue UK
- Heather Mills to star in ‘Dancing on Thin Ice’. The lying fantasist and gold-digger, Heather Mills, is to try and persuade the public for the hundredth time that she is still a lying money-grabbing fantasist when she will be filmed dancing on thin ice for a new skating themed game show. The Daily Squib
- Is Spice Girl Gerry getting married? Mail Online
- Model Rosie and Kylie’s ex Olivier kiss and canoodle around Paris. Popsugar
- Ashley Avignone is the new Taylor Jacobson at Rachel Zoe. The Cut
- Princess Caroline’s husband caught kissing another woman on holiday in Thailand oopsies! Mail Online
- Heidi Klum: “My Boobs are on a Schedule!” Us Magazine
- Sophie Dahl and her musician love Jamie Cullum marry in a romantic country wedding. Hello Magazine
- Carey Mulligan and Shia LaBeouf are an item. Popsugar
- Angelina Jolie buys Maddox an iPod Touch after pledging $1m to Haiti: it must be a slow news week. Us Magazine
- Hollywood Actress Dies of Natural Causes After Taking Loads of Drugs. The Daily Squib
- Engaged Katy Perry isn’t pregnant to Russell, tweets menstrual cycle… Ewww too much information. The Superficial
- Danni Minogue is pregnant, tweets it. Herald Sun
- Do you think Jesus is wise to distance himself from Madonna? Ha, that’s not what the Bible says… Popsugar
“One had only to try on a Versace dress to find that one’s tits went up, and one’s ass went out, and one’s waist went in.”
Versace. The very name conjures up images of outrageous glamour and bold sexuality, opulence and daring. All of course true, but only half the story. Versace is also the legacy of a great creative genius from a poor, backward part of southern Italy who transformed the fashion world.
The first book in English about the legendary designer, House of Versace shows how Gianni Versace, with his flamboyant sister Donatella at his side, combined his virtuosic talent and extraordinary ambition to almost single-handedly create the celebrity culture we take for granted today.
Deborah Ball, a long-time Milan correspondent for The Wall Street Journal, conducted hundreds of interviews with Versace family members, Gianni Versace’s lovers and business rivals, models such as Naomi Campbell whom he helped shoot to international stardom and fashion industry icons, including Anna Wintour, the legendary editor of Vogue.
Bringing together fashion, celebrity, business drama, jet-set lifestyles, and a notorious crime, House of Versace is an old-fashioned page-turner about a subject of enduring fascination.’Yes please!
US$17 Amazon. Publisher: Crown (February 2, 2010)
The Christmas List: Casa Mediterranea: Spectacular Houses and Glorious Gardens by the Sea… by Massimo Listri
‘A sumptuous selection of some sixty beautifully designed houses from around the Mediterranean. This new book showcases a selection of some of the most beautiful houses to be found around the Mediterranean Sea, captured by the lens of the renowned architecture photographer Massimo Listri.
These houses provide material for dreaming as well as a concrete source of inspiration. They range from a traditional, terra-cotta-roofed home with a big welcoming kitchen, a courtyard, and colorful tiles and mosaics to a cutting-edge contemporary design inspired by the forms and tonalities of the region.’Divine!
$29.70 Borders. Publisher: Thames & Hudson (October 26, 2009)
But if you are having a lovely time plunging into sale racks like a crazy maniac please keep in mind the big trends for next summer: You want Minimalist white (it’s the item du jour already!), sorbet pastels, pieces with sporty influences, a military khaki flak jacket, anything gingham, abstract print dresses, and a few pieces of lingerie inspired pieces. Please ignore any loose and oversized (except a boyfriend jacket) that look is over. The new shape is veering towards a narrow silhouette. Who ever wanted to look pregnant anyway?
By the way if you want to skip ahead to the next season check out the pre fall collections here at Style.com.
Best buys are here:
- The cream (or black) silky, over sized, long, single breasted boyfriend blazer with ¾ sleeves. You know you need a blazer and this is perfect for summer in a lighter fabric and very unstructured. Wear with shorts, over a dress, with skinny pants or belt it in. $189
- We all need a light grey marle drape Tee, it has simple frill details on the edge of the cap sleeves, on sale now $39. Wear with everything back with black skinny jeans and shorts. A grey marle tee is a wardrobe essential but you knew that.
- Love the dark grey and very chic military blazer with military detailing and with tortoise shell buttons. It’s perfect for next winter so why not start investing now? Or just open the fridge and stand in the door if you are desperate to wear now. You need a touch of military. It’s a serious trend. Eye Eye captain. $249
- Off to the beach? Or maybe you are pregnant? (Or had too much Christmas dinner.) You will love oversized batwing striped Tee dress in grey or navy and white: $99. It’s like a poncho and great if you have fab legs and a big muffin top. Bless.
- On sale is a cute red and white check print summer beach dress with a ruched drawstring at the neckline: it’s an A line and floppy and perfect to toss over the bikini. Now $59.
- We all need a big chunky Lanvin inspired gunmetal necklace and this one here for $79 is fabulous. It’s a mix of chunky links, a few diamantes and gunmetal chains.
On sale but a few new shoes and boots are in store. New in are:
- The fabulous and very Lanvin inspired flats in caramel, black or silver. They have the classic round toe and elastic side you know the look. Still right for next season and your feet will love them as they continue to enjoy a holiday on the ground at earth level. $129
- You want the classic black patent T bar flat sandals. Quite simple and chic and you can’t go wrong (great if you have wrecked your previous ones on the beach). Not very gladiator style which is a relief if you have cankles. $109
- Love the new black patent, sling back peep toes with a smaller triangle heel: what lower heels? Outrageous! As predicted they are making a come back. Great for the back; bad for the short stumpy fat legs. $129
- On sale are some fabulous slip on mule wedges: They have a T bar, very Marni in a caramel brown and choc. You need to know that the wedge has had a renaissance and was all over the runways for next summer. Now $69.
- You should buy the chic very Longchamps style caramel and brown nylon two handle tote, also in red with choc brown leather trim with a fabulous bright pattern lining now $79. Handy weekend/gym bag.
- You want the black peep toe sandals with a fab (very Chanel) wooden heel and adjustable buckle strap with a lower heels. Yes, you can walk comfortably and look cool at the same time. Whatever will they think of next?? Now $75.
On sale but also a few new pieces coming in:
- Love the simple cotton Tee’s with a ruffle and velvet strip down the front, tres chic and perfect under a jacket $49, also in grey or navy. A must buy. More casual than a serious top but not as tight as a normal Tee. Cool with jeans or harem pants, perfect for weekends or chic enough to wear to work with a pencil skirt. The good news? It’s not a scoop but a perfect T shirt neckline.
- Also love the white Tee with a white fabric ruffle detail along the neckline $49. You know what they say? White next to the face takes ten years off. Wear this with shorts, or a harem pants and love it under a blazer. Ruffles are hot for next season but this is really just a little stripe of fabric around the neckline to add a little vava voom.
- You want the black lace tee: oh, yes so very Balmain with shoulder pads and you know it was here before Christmas but it’s still hot and it’s still right for next season. Wear with ripped jeans a la Balmain if you are under 30 or back with peg legs pants if you are a more mature age. You need to dress down the lace for day but you can wear at night with jeans. $99
- Looking for a flattering day dress to wear to work or shopping? (Both for me). Buy the black, simple cotton day dress with a round neckline, and fitted waist that flits out with tiny pleating detailing; this will be very flattering cut because it will give you a waist and hide the muffin hips. It has a hidden zip front and it’s sleeveless. It’s not short but sits on the knee. The great thing is you can this with flats and legs will not cry. $209
- I spy with my little eye my favourite black sequin/silver glitter tank; on sale now about $80. Sequins continue to be cool but wear with parachute harem pants or something laid back so you are not looking too try hard and as glitzy as a GaGa.
- And I was drawn like a moth to a flame to the nylon black trench with a belt and a low neckline; it could be a dress coat if you see what I mean! A fantastic buy and very trans-seasonal, wear now and into winter with over the knee boots now on sale $162.
Best buys are:
- The red and white stripe Tee, yes, yes, it’s true they have been here all season but for those a little behind the times you need to know this Tee is a great fit with the right neckline. Also in faded grey and white, or navy and white a stripe Tee is an essential key piece. A must buy because I love the square fold over sleeves cut in the contrasting stripe. Sits out over the muffin arms quite well. $49
- Adore the new grey leather jackets: it’s sooooooo very Rick Owens. It has grey rib knit insert under the sleeves and lining (which I am not so sure about). It’s almost a wrap biker shape and the leather seems soft and chic $599. Tip: this jacket will be everywhere for winter (Smart people like Sussan actually did a version for summer! You were told about that and should have listened/shopped)
- Love the new, black long line, double breasted boyfriend jacket with subtle shoulder pads and black buttons. You know you need one so start trying on blazers now to get the right one. $299
- If you want colour then try the red/cream/purple abstract animal print shift dress with a self belt, with short sleeves $279. Remember you can wear later when it’s chilly with black opaques and a leather jacket.
- The perfect summer dress is the white pleat front shirt dress with a self belt in cotton now $99. Sweet and chic. Can be a little too Mosman house wife (even Mosman housewives don’t want to look it) so add tough shoes/necklace/belt to add a little unexpected toughness. Or stick to the headband. Bless.
- Buy the black and white animal print top with the cute shoulder detailing and drape: fabulous back with shorts or harem pants and sexy heels. $170
Love it here for the great quality and the prices are fabulous with about 30% off.
- Buy the beautiful leather jackets in caramel, black, or choc, all divine with a zip front now about $700. A must buy for next season.
- You want the chic black/silver sheen bag; a little Balenciaga in style with silver studs, two handles and a top zip. It’s not one of those huge bags but on the smaller size which is now chicer. Now on sale $237. It’s not a bring black bag but will work just as hard as one.
- Check out the new season poet’s sleeves muslin cotton blouse with a pussy bow tie in a light purple. A blouse is hot for next season. Sexy with slouchy pants and heels. $240. Very Mad Men.
- Love the black (or navy) fitted double breasted trench with silver buttons a la Burberry for an amazing $270. A fabulous buy. There is nothing else to say. A trench addict will always love a trench.
- There is also a shorter, sporty version with epaulettes and with a shape more like a bomber now $266.
- Love the navy cotton peacoat with puff on the shoulders and a drawstring collar about $230. It’s very sporty too and just right for weekends.
- Adore the grey (or black) gumboots on sale for $130: they are a little short but look about ¾ length so tres chic.
New in are:
- The sexy stretch cotton, black metallic skinny pants/leggings: Only for those who (think) they have no cellulite. Oh la la but these pants are hot and I would love to wear them. You could hide your butt under a long jacket to get the same skinny affect. And not offend anyone. $99
- If you are looking for a fab day dress to rock around in while it’s hot for dinner or out to lunch then never fear the black Grecian drape dress-ish here. It’s very Calvin Klein and drapes all over the place which means it’s looking scary and like it will cling but no! The fabric skims over the bad bits so it’s rather flattering. It’s in a stretch cotton jersey which makes it casual. Love it. $149
- You should also try on the white Tee that has chic black leaf print across the front: it’s called placement Tee. Perfect for under the jacket and with the skinny black pants. $49
- You still want the Alexander Wang style zip leather distressed bag $249; Yes, it’s been in store for months but it’s a winner and you wear it as a shoulder bag. In caramel or black.
- How clever is the black bomber jacket? It has a hidden zip and detachable zip off sleeves: True! So you can wear it as a vest or a bomber jacket. Two for the price of one. But wait there’s more! It has a rib trim and a chic round neckline. $199
- Love the track pants or harem with rib trim around the ankles with drawstring $129 in a cotton twill. The harem/track pant continues to be cool for next season and I must say I love them. Please wear with heels not trainers. You need to wear something structured on top as well to give shape and sharpness to the casual bottom. Who wants a casual bottom?
On sale and quite a sale it is… Plus there are some fabulous new season bags and shoes arrived in store. My picks are:
- The fabulous black satin peep toe heels with a black jet jewel toe now $640. Jewelled heels are spot on again for this season. You can never have enough bling.
- Love the divine grey suede peep toe heels $415. Grey suede is the only shoe for next winter.
- Buy the gorgeous T bar flat thong sandals with the Bally logo on the front: tres chic in black patent or in pretty gunmetal now $335. Perfect with a caftan non?
- You want the flat grey snakeskin toe thongs now $335. Lovely with a simple white dress…
- In the bags section on sale there is a chic black leather tote bag (‘Vanise’) with gold hardware and tow handles: it’s a great every day bag and the classic shape is still so right for next season now $1100.
- Check out the new collection of bags: the divine ruched black leather tote with one plaited strap and gold hardware is quite fabulous (‘Mayla’) $1700.
- Love and adore the black smaller, shoulder bag with a gold chain strap and a detachable leather strap about $1800. Hot!
- Drool over the new season patchwork eel skin pointy toe red platform heels. Ohh la la, yes please! $835. (Also in black of course.)
Berry Mascarpone Tart… adulterated from Cuisine.com.au
This sexy tart spells summer don’t you think? The good news is that there is no baking with this delicious dessert! All you do is mix up the biscuits with the melted butter and almonds and throw in the fridge. Fill the case with mascarpone or custard, top with fresh berries and voila! A divine dessert.
You need for 4 to 6 holidays gourmandes, 10 bikini beach babes, or 20 models:
200g sweet digestive biscuits
50g hazelnut meal (or 50g fresh almonds blitzed)
80g unsalted butter, melted
200ml thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 punnets mixed berries
Mint leaves for accessorising
- Throw a Missoni caftan over your Eres bikini.
- Pull back the salty beach hair.
- Keep the feet bare so you can show off your glistening Chanel polish.
- Open the packets of biscuits and try one to check they are right.
- Ok: why not have a glass of chilled champers? It’s impossible to cook without a glass.
- Find a chic tart tray: it could be round or square but it probably should have a removable base. (We all need a removable base don’t we?)
- To make the crust: Melt the butter and ignore the fat content.
- Find the whizzer.
- Toss in the biscuits and the whole almonds (I prefer that to almond meal) and blitz it till it’s like chunky breadcrumbs.
- Throw the crumbs into a bowl and pour in the melted butter.
- Give it a really good mix so the butter covers every bit of biscuits.
- Before the butter hardens spoon this mix into the tart tin and using your lovely manicured fingers press it down evenly.
- Make sure you make chic little sides too so the cream doesn’t spill out. Very much like making a sand castle.
- Throw in the fridge for about an hour or until the lovely crust is set and hard as your thighs. (You wish.)
- Get the berries ready (rinse and top the strawberries) so you can throw the tart together quickly later.
- Tip: Make the filling now but don’t assemble the tart until just before serving because you don’t want it to go soggy.
- So to make the filling, whip cream into soft gooey peaks like your knees, then fold through soft and fabulously fattening mascarpone.
- Tip in a tiny bit of vanilla into the cream mix and stir for a bit of vava voom flavour.
- Before serving pour the cream into the chic de la chic tart shell and scatter with berries and accessorise with gorgeous green tangy mint.
- Gracefully accept thunderous applause from your adoring fans.