- “If you lived in New York [at that time,] there was no way you could not meet Andy Warhol. He was everywhere; he was like parsley.” DVF. In your teeth.
- “I’ve decided this will be my starving day today.” Model Caroline Trentini before the Victoria’s Secret Show. (No parsley for her.)
- “I think eating is sexy.” Model Chanel Iman declares before the Victoria’s Secret Show. She likes to watch other people do it.
- “You people need to go for American breakfast, No wonder everyone’s so thin… They need pancakes.” Sharon Stone announces in Tokyo.
- “I had pomegranate seeds this morning! Only because I’m on antibiotics and I have to eat something.” Model Julia Stegner …otherwise she would have had a pancake for breakfast.
- “When you’re younger, taller and thinner, everything looks better,” Elle Fashion Director Joe Zee. That counts me out.
- “Everyone just expects me to jump now. I think they just think I jump naturally, like put me in great shoes and I jump,” Model Caroline Trentini (known for her jumping in every page of US Vogue).
- “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. That’s one of [my mottos]. You try and remember, but it never works.” Kate Moss is everywhere like parsley.
The 5 Foundations of (fashion) Enlightenment:
- Awareness of the body: This means finding the best Herve Leger dress to suit your shape.
- Awareness of feelings: This is the gut feeling. Meaning when you see THAT Prada bag you know you must get it.
- Awareness of mind involves all of the various mind states that arise after the initial feeling, for example, greed, hatred, lust, jealousy, and so forth (the Buddha lists fifty-two mental states). This means you really must buy THAT Prada bag. Or it will be a disaster. Literally.
- Awareness of Dhammas or truths: Which means the Mirror never lies (except skinny mirrors).
- Awareness of the Tree of Life: meaning it has the best collection of cheap but chic beach dresses ever known to mankind all from an outrageous $35. In groovy bright colours! In groovy bright prints! There are long, short, halter neck, wrap dresses or just plain long Indian caftans for $45. It’s all here for beach dressing. Bless.
What: Corset or Lingerie Dressing
Which: You want a chic structured corset, a cute little lace camisole, a dress with the corset detailing or stitching. It’s about giving shape to the top of the body. It’s not about forgetting to wear your trousers and just wearing pants. That’s just for the runway in the Alexander Wang show ( below). And Lady GaGa.
Why: Because the sloppy, loose, unstructured silhouette is over. Sorry. Because the corset will do amazing things to your figure. Because the lingerie as outerwear look was a major trend on the runways for next summer 2010. Because it’s about edgy lace and strong feminine looks. Because the Gaultier cone bra from the eighties is back. Because we are in love with anything that holds the muffin situation around your waist in place.
Wear: Try a corset top with a pencil skirt under a jacket. Or layer a corset over a shirt . You can do a pretty lace cami or corset under a cashmere cardigan with peg legs pants. Or throw a corset with a pretty frou frou skirt and a man style jacket.
Where: YSL, Stella McCartney, Bottega Veneta, Lanvin, Alexander Wang, Collette Dinnigan or try the lingerie section in any department store.
- Because it’s party time and you need to look glowing.
- Because when you look in the mirror, there it is staring back at you: A pimple the size of a Birkin.
- Because it has a mix of Tea Tree Oil (it works as an antiseptic) and salicylic acid (that will kill anything).
- Because it has a precision application pen so you can put the Tea Tree Oil and salicylic acid directly on the enormous problem area.
- Because the pen is so small you can toss it in the Prada makeup bag for break out emergency situation.
- Because it works! (You can feel the sting as it does its job.)
- TIP: Just don’t try to write a cheque with it: it might bounce.
$12.95 Skinvitals Purify Spot-on Blemish Pen from Skinvitals and major department stores.
- This week saw the launch of Internet For Peace, a worldwide organisation supported by prominent figures including Giorgio Armani, which campaigns for the next Nobel Peace Prize to be awarded to the internet and all its users. Well, I must get the award… after all I am the winner of the Nobel Purchase Prize… Vogue UK
- Did W Magazine use model Anja Rubik’s body and stick Demi Moore head on top for the Cover? Looks like it. But photographers Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott “did not do anything unusual or out of the ordinary on Demi Moore for the photo on the cover of W.” They don’t deny it ! There’s is nothing unusual about photo shopping….? Jezebel
- They call it E Con! Who are the new style Bloggers in the U? The Guardian picks out 10 of 2009’s cyber sages. My favourite? The “Obsessive wardrobe change disorder’ Blog! The Guardian
- Victoria Beckham is re-launching her denim label for next spring. Elle UK.
- An interesting take on Lady Gaga’s performance (with dancers from the Bolshoi Ballet) The New Yorker
- Looks like we have tolerate Lindsay Lohan for another season at Ungaro. Oh NO! Please explain. The New York Times
- The Latest and Greatest (young fashion) Designer Blogs Out There…. reports Refinery 29
- Feel like a trip O.S? Check out the fabulous new Travel issue in The New York Times. The Moment
- Valentino: The Last Emperor makes Oscar’s short list for best documentary. Fashion Week Daily
- Model Daul Kim was young, beautiful and seemed to have everything to live for. Why did she chose to end her young life? (she was found hanged at her Paris apartment.) Bless. Telegraph UK
- US Elle has filled the fashion director post vacated by Nina Garcia in April 2008. Alexis Bryan Morgan, who most recently served as executive fashion director at Vanity Fair, will assume that role in January 2010. She is the daughter of Anna Wintour’s boyfriend, Shelby Morgan. Say Fashionologie.
- Natalia Vodianova is the face of next season — appearing in the spring-summer fashion Ad campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, Givenchy and Stella McCartney. Also look out for her in ads for Guerlain, Etam lingerie and Calvin Klein perfumes. Wow. WWD
- Yves Saint Laurent’s partner, Pierre Bergé, wrote a book in French called Letters to Yves, which will come out in February. It contains no photos, only text, and was written between Christmas — about six months after YSL died of brain cancer at age 71 — Read more: The Cut
- Vanity Fair Fashion and Style Director Michael Roberts teamed up with Gucci to create Snowman in Africa, a new collaboration with the Gucci Campaign to Benefit UNICEF. The Daily Beast.
- Carla Bruni-Sarkozy says she has agreed to a role in Woody Allen’s next film. “When I’m a grandmother, I’d like to be able say I’ve made a film with Woody Allen,” she added. WWD
- We love Michelle Obama (especially the grey Moschino dress) in The New York Magazine
- Checklist: Model Holiday Essentials: These cool models share what’s on their radar this holiday season. Teen Vogue
- Serge Azria is reviving Equipment, the shirt collection launched in 1976 by Christian Restoin, husband of Carine Roitfeld, for spring. Which explains Carine has been wearing all those gorgeous silk shirts! WWD
10 (Hilarious) fashion catchphrases that you won’t find in any vocabulary book.
I. Die.: v. What happens when you encounter something so phenomenally stunning you feel as if you may, in fact, die.
Etymology: Rachel Zoe is known as much for her catchphrases as she is for her wide-legged pants, but “I. Die.” is our favorite because… well, once Rachel thought she was actually going to die, which made for some pretty amazing TV.
Usage: “‘Tay. Brad. Like, come here. Isn’t this bananas? Like, seriously. Like, literally. Lit. A. Ra. Lee. I’m dying here. I die. I. Die. Died. Wait. Where am I?”
Read more hilarious fashion catchphrases here at Pipeline.refinery29.com !
- The mother of Australian model Catherine McNeil has contradicted her daughter’s claims that cuts on the model’s arms were the result of a skateboard injury. oopsies….fell down the stairs ?? Herald Sun via Fashion Copious
- Carla Bruni is obviously not pregnant ( but looks chic) The Huffington Post
- Celebrities Stop Farting to Curb Global Warming. The United Nations has welcomed bids from the world’s top celebrities to stop passing wind thus ending the deadly march of ‘climate change’ threatening our delicate eco-system. “It doesn’t matter that countries like China, India and America are pumping out huge amounts of toxic pollution into the earth’s atmosphere; we believe by not farting and reusing our shopping bags we can save the world too,” Bob Geldof, told a panel of scientists at Geneva’s annual Climate Change exhibition sponsored by Monsanto. The Daily Squib
- ‘Tom Cruise showed up on the set of Katie’s movie yesterday to surprise her for their anniversary, and make sure she wasn’t talking to anybody about the dead dudes in the basement,’ says The Superficial via Popsugar
- Nicole Kidman is not pregnant. For the 20th time. Us Magazine
- I die and go bananas! Rachel Zoe carries on without Tay… literally. In Case You Didn’t Know
- Robert and Kristen arrive and Tweet together! …this is called news. Popsugar
- FemBot Vicky B returns a pair of heels to a store… This is called news as well. The Mail Online
- Lady Gaga: I’ve always felt like “a Freak”, she says. Wonderwall. Wow, am so surprised!
- Jessica Simpson calls Perez Hilton “sad” for making fun of Bronx Mowgli. PopEater …with a name like that it’s more than sad. It’s mean.
- Nicole Richie: I Need to “stay in bed and recover” And eat. Us Magazine
- The Pirelli 2010 Calendar: No Airbrushing, No Makeup, and Of Course, No Tops! says refinery29.com
- Gywneth always looks fabulous. With a top and makeup. No Airbrushing. Just Jared
“Nicky Haslam reveals his extraordinary talent as a memoirist and chronicler of international High Society. Touching, funny, and wonderfully indiscreet, he makes us wish we could all join his circle of friends.” -Amanda Foreman, author of Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire
“What a life! And one that could only be recounted by the man that lived it. Written with great brio, wit, and worldliness-uniquely wonderful!” -William Boyd, author of Any Human Heart
“Nicky Haslam has known everyone from Greta Garbo to Cole Porter to the Royal Family, with many unforgettable eccentrics in between. But this is not a catalogue of celebrities. Masterpiece is an overused word, but this Proustian evocation is indeed a masterpiece.” -A. N. Wilson,
“Witty, moving, and gloriously indiscreet, Redeeming Features is deliriously enjoyable. -Selina Hastings, author of Nancy Mitford: A Biography
“Haslam is not only an indefatigable networker; his book offers the most eloquent proof that name-dropping has come of age.” -Sebastian Shakespeare, Evening Standard (London)
“His story is gripping, because he has led such an extraordinary life.” -Lynn Barber, The Sunday Times Magazine (London)
US$19.80 Amazon. Publisher: Knopf (November 10, 2009)
The Christmas List: Visionaire No. 57: 2010… by Visionaire
Founded in 1991 as a collection of artwork and images hand-assembled by a group of friends in a one-room apartment in New York City, Visionaire has since grown into one of the most highly sought-after fashion and art publications in the world. The New Yorker has characterized Visionaire magazine as “a creative playground for leading designers, artists, photographers and thinkers,” adding “it’s a gallery in print. A cabinet of irresistible curiosities A daring iconoclast dressed to thrill.”
For this latest issue, 52 curators Louise Bourgeois, Inez Van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin, Mario Testino, Tilda Swinton and Marc Jacobs) have selected seven artists. Each artist contributes one image for a total of 365 images by 365 different artists, which are assembled as an electronic calendar that displays one image for each day of the year. This is Visionaire’s first electric plug-in issue featuring art on a high-definition screen. It is also one of their most useful and giftworthy issues!
Visionaire 57: 2010 is produced in collaboration with Smart, in anticipation of the Smart electric car to be launched in 2010, and as a part of Smart’s ongoing support of urban creativity. See the fabulous video here.
US$185.85 Amazon. (Paperback - Jan 31, 2010) Publisher: Visionaire; Limited edition (January 31, 2010)
- They are everywhere this season but you want the cute glomesh black or silver evening bags $69. When you get it out of the shop it’s looks more expensive than it is. Perfect for tossing with a chic little one shoulder black dress.
- Love the black fabric clutch bag: it’s covered in little buds and twists of fabric: it’s chic in black and looks more expensive but it is also in a blush, grey or hot pink which is not what I would recommend. You know the rules: cheap colour + cheap fabric = cheap. Stick to black and go for expensive colour in your Louboutin shoes. $99.
- Love the silver (or gold) thong sandals: they have a classic two straps at the front and then a strap around the back and the ankle: very chic and not too gladiator-ish so you can put down the sword and shield $69. You need metallic sandals this summer: Silver is almost a neutral and they will add a little edge to anything you wear.
- Love the black cut out patent, sling back and peep toe sandals on a wooden platform style clog, see below, now on sale $90. Why not ?
I know, I know. You are over 30 and don’t think you can shop in Supre. But I say go here for beach dressing: why spend a fortune? Save the dollars to spend on fabulous bags and shoes. (NB: You will always find items in large!)
- There is a fabulous, cotton, light grey marle sleeveless long maxi dress with a hood. Of course you don’t actually need the hood but it looks cool. (The main reason for dressing). It has a deep V neck, so right for the beach; also in every colour under the sun $35. Go for white, red, grey, orange or black.
- Love the classic rib singlet tops in every colour (And yes, they are a little see through) $12. Buy up and layer. Good for wearing under everything. Love the grey.
- If you are a stick with legs the size of my arms you will wear the short denim shorts $32. They are made for pygmy children I think. Bless.
- You should try the cute black, cotton, swing dress with shoe string straps and a low back …it’s perfect for tossing over the bikini and the cellulite. (On your hips not your back.) $40. Buy in every colour. Layer over a white tank. Perfect poolside holiday dressing.
- Love the long cotton maxi dress with shoestring straps : perfect for the beach $30. Outrageous price! Buy in every colour and then Ditch the woven belt and the jewellery please )
- I see the fabulous black one shoulder chiffon top now on sale $34. Why not ? It will work with jeans to harem peg leg pants and shorts. The one shoulder look has hit the tipping point so don’t spend a fortune on the look.
- Checkout the fabulous silver sequin shift dress $79!
- Love the video for Peter Morrissey at Big W (and model Laura, who is always fabulous!).
It’s time to concentrate on accessories don’t you think?
- You want the fabulous cotton canvas sneakers in a faded beige: They have with elastic hidden inside so that you don’t need laces: love them! Wear with Maxi dresses to the beach, wear with rolled up chinos, wear with harem pants. A must buy also in white and black. They come with laces too if you want but love the laissez faire don’t give a damn just slipped them on look. $49.
- If you still have not bought any flats go for the chic brown T bar flat sandals with 2 silver buckles. The brown will look fabulous with bright colours as well as with black, beige and cream. $99.
- Love the low heel gladiators called ‘Mid heel gladiator’ in black, they are statement making monster tough shoes without the pain. Your physio will thank you. $199.
- Adore the black Givenchy style, cross over strappy heels which are very high but look fabulous. Your physio will welcome you back with open arms. And your short legs will love them and so will your boyfriend.
- You want the big silver tote (’the snake tote’) to razz up all those boring blacks and creams, it’s a great casual day bag $89.
- It’s all about the big chunky necklace this season so buy two of the chunky link necklaces and double them up (or just clip them together to wear as one longer one) $49. Perfect.
Go here for cheap but chic jewellery for a quick de la quick fix and an instant wardrobe updater.
- Check out the fabulous black jet big dangle earrings $39. Earrings have made a bit of a comeback but as with any jewellery this season they have to be big. Please don’t wear horrid little chain necklaces and little mingy earrings. It’s big over sized or nothing.
- Love the big diamante drop earrings $29. Remember if you wear big earrings then ditch all other jewellery. You don’t want to confuse the look. You need the focus of attention on one fabulous piece.
- You want the single black jet jewel drop earrings $24. Simple and elegant. Tip: just because the jewelery was piled on at Louis Vuitton/Lanvin/Marc Jacobs doesn’t mean you can wear that look in real life. (OK, maybe if it was the real thing from Lanvin but not with Diva jewels anyway; bless.)
- Love the silver, black and gunmetal and gold multi chain necklace: you need to pile it on with other necklaces so it’s a strong look. Best with a plain canvas so simple grey marle or plain colours rather than wearing those with outrageous prints. $39.
- Check out the black leather cuff with silver studs $19 and the black jet bracelets $16. Cool.
- Still after a chic caftan but don’t want to look like a Sloane Ranger? Here at DJ’s look out for The Two Mrs Grenvilles caftan with a deep V neck and cute pleating at the front. Love the V neck: it makes the neck look longer (so much chicer than horrible aging scoops). The shape is not too loose and the pleating gives it a bit of shape. It’s just above the knee and is the best caftan I have seen: it’s in a sheer fabric and has no embroidery or glitter and is simple, simple, simple. Also in black and a horrible watermelon colour if you must. $59.
sale sale sale sale sale sale sale sale sale:
MAVI JEANS End of Year Warehouse Sale
Mavi Jeans are kicking off the silly season with their end of year warehouse sale!!
Fri Dec 4th - Sat Dec 6th 2009 @ Medina on Crown 359 Crown Street, Surry Hills
- Love the Petit Bateau Tees here: You want the perfect tank in white $95, some are double layer tees which are like a tank with a tee over the top: two for the price of one! $85.
- Also check out the simple tee and tanks in plain colours (although sad but true there are no classic stripe fisherman tops, unfortunately) but you can buy the blue and white stripe Tee tank $79.
- Plus Love, love, love the Bensimon sneakers in all the divine colours from red, blue, grey, green, beige, etc… Wear on the yacht, to the beach with a maxi dress and harem pants. Chic de la chic. A summer must buy don’t you think? $70 ( pictured above).
- Check out the divine slinky, soft jersey wrap dress in a very Missoni style black and white zig zag stripe print. It’s sleeveless with a V neck and I think is the perfect little day dress for summer $600.
- Love the one shoulder cream and soft blush dress in a divine fabric that has soft glitter squares through it: very much a party dress. Wear with blush heels and blush. So pretty. $600.
- You want the loose, straight shift dress that has a drape back in a soft wool(?). It has a chic round neckline (not a daggy scoop) and there is a strap across the drape back to stop it falling off the shoulders I presume. You could probably wear it back to front. That would be sexy mama and might flash a little cleavage. $600. Love it in the teal grey. I think this is not too short either.
- Adore the very sporty simple Tee dress in a grey marle cotton with a cobalt blue, white and black stripe. It’s very casual with pockets at the front and a V neck and cute short sleeves. Talk about a fab casual dress! Perfect for a pool party or dagging around on the weekend when you don’t want to look like one $300.
- There is a fabulous hot pink (Don’t die of shock!) swing dress; it’s in an expensive crinkle fabric so you can wear hot pink without looking cheap (sorry to swear at you). This is a very casual loose trapeze shape with cut away shoulders and a round neckline which makes the hot pink less shocking $600.
CK Calvin Klein
Love it here and it’s now on sale: Thank you!… It’s a must visit and a must buy. Great quality and great prices. (Prices here are full price.)
- Adore the grey silky dress with a square neck, pleat front, and sleeveless. It’s loose with just a tiny square of a pintuck pleat on the front $479. I also see it in hot pink but it’s quite simple, minimal so hot pink works! If you can carry it off. Of course I love the grey and grey is the colour du jour. This is easy dressing. A no brainer, toss it on, walk out the door style of dress.
- Buy the fabulous softest, pale grey (almost concrete colour) leather jacket: it’s short and cropped with a round neckline and lovely buttons down the front. Buy now and wear into next season. It’s right for summer in Wellington or Tasmania. Bless. $1400.
- Check out the architecturally shape, sleeveless, drape tops with shoulder pads about $349, lots of black fabulous dresses and a fab caramel single breasted blazer in cotton satin $429…
- You want all the Tee shirts in the softest and most gorgeous cotton: in grey, in white, in black, V neck or round neck classic about $89. They feel so soft and hang so beautifully. (Tip: buy the men sweat Tees for a big slouchy shape.)
- Buy the long, black dress with the amazing mirror jewel details across the front: see picture below. It has a halter neckline and is quite lovely. $1700.
- You want the aqua (or purple) short Grecian ruched dress: it’s all pleating and draping with a gathered neckline and slit sleeves. You could walk into the Colosseum wearing that with your Gladiator sandals and get the thumbs up! $690.
- Love the black, short sleeve jacket: it’s very fitted, with wide shoulders (with small pads) that sit out over the shoulder). It crosses over at the front and has its own fabric belt. It’s right on the money! You can wear this right now in summer with nothing under it or over a long sleeve sweater in winter. We love anything trans-seasonal non? Very Louis Vuitton inspired. The sharp shape is hot. On sale now $550 (I think).
- Adore the cut out black leggings, perfect for summer to get a breeze! Your own air conditioning. Just don’t get a suntan wearing them. $379.
Spotted in David Jones
- A fabulous black leather short sleeve leather bomber jacket by Mimosa. Never heard of them? Neither have I! Leather is the hot fabric for next summer would you believe?! This is chic with short sleeves which have an elastic trim. It has a round neckline and a brass zip and is tres chic to wear now until you are dripping with sweat. Great for winter over a long sleeve sweater $439.
On sale here !
- Love the Celine black bag with serious silver hardware, two handles and a shoulder strap now $1800. Divine!
- You want the Belle by Sigerson Morrison black multi strap almost flat Gladiators $520 or the sequin wedges $450.
- Check out the DVF platform teal suede sling back sandals now on sale $225.
- Buy the Repetto ballet flats in silver $390 (and other colours). Not on sale.
- Adore the Marc Jacobs stud silver grey gladiator wedges $790. (NB: some may have already left the building!)
- Love the designer bag collection here and I see quite a few on sale! I see a fab YSL black patent leather one handle slouch tote with a silver zip under for about $1100.
- Love the Anya Hindmarsh black structured open top (no zips), standup tote with gold hardware and two handle and now on sale $1300. Lovely.
- And I see that there are quite a few chic Longchamps bags on sale too. Yes, please.
- Non-sale you want the Marc By Marc Jacobs red one strap shoulder bag $850, and the black, one handle slouch bag stamped with Marc Jacobs letters (but it’s subtle so you don’t need to get scared that it’s tacky.) This has silver hardware which is hard to find and it’s a great price $885.
- Also check out the divine Louboutin black slouch tote with the 2 handles slit into 4 straps and with gold hardware for you $3200.
- Adore the YSL ruched stand up bucket tote bag with a one bone covered handle and silver hardware $4200. Or you could buy the car. You decide which you can drive better.
- Also check out the Paul & Joe on sale here especially the divine black cotton satine blazer $599 and the amazing over the top floral silk caftan dresses about $400 and the divine caramel cashmere V neck over sized cardigans now $349. Wear summer or winter and just gorgeous.
- Burberry - Woo Hoo! There are trench coats on sale now in David Jones for $1100 and at Burberry too.
- YSL Rive gauche has arrived instore and is quite divine:
— You want the gorgeous grey double button wool peplum jacket with short sleeves with puff shoulders: too divine. Wear now and into next winter and forever $4400.
— Die over the simple grey cashmere knit Tee $1500.
— Adore the grey peplum jacket with long sleeves and very fitted $3999.
- Gorgeous !
Jamie Oliver’s Avocado Ice Cream
This is Divine. Who would have thought avocado ice cream would taste so amazing? It’s creamy and gorgeous and doesn’t actually taste like avocado.
Feeling naughty? Use decadent coconut cream instead of milk and add vodka too …Oh la la! See Baking Bites.
* By the way you don’t need an ice cream maker, you can just toss it in the freezer.
You need to make a litre to feed 20 models or 8 gourmandes:
200g caster sugar
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 vanilla pods
4 ripe avocados
500 ml whole milk
- Slip into chic Tory Burch Caftan.
- Slide into Bensimon sneakers.
- Pour a champers.
- Drink and relax.
- Now get cooking.
- You can zest the juice the lime and lemon.
- Scrape the vanilla seeds out of the pod.
- Toss the sugar, zest, juice, scraped vanilla seeds and the vanilla pods in a saucepan.
- Bring to boil and let it simmer for a couple of minutes while the sugar dissolves.
- Let cool. And don’t even think about putting your finger in to taste it. Ouch! Too hot.
- When it’s cool but not hardened you can pull out the vanilla pods.
- Now get the avocado flesh and toss in the whizzer together with creamy milk/coconut cream and the gooey syrup. You need 4 avocados so don’t scrimp.
- Whizz till it’s as smooth as Creme de la Mer.
- Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to directions if you have one.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker just put it in the freezer.
- Jamie says to give it a whisk every half hour or so to break it up but you don’t have to.
- My concoction took over night to freeze.
- Before serving accessorise with a generous sprinkle of chic chopped pistachios.