- “I don’t think she needs anything, really. I’d give her what I’d give anybody — love,” Daphne Guinness referring to Anna Wintour’s 60th Birthday.
- “I don’t know if I will. I don’t think so. I will just send her these flowers.” Valentino when asked if he is celebrating with Anna.
- “She’s an incredible lady, she deserves the utmost respect and admiration from all of us. And I would make Anna an ‘Anna Rocks!’ T-shirt.” Erin Fetherston
- “She’s in Washington right now being anointed. She’s being knighted by President Obama — I think that’s a pretty good 60th-birthday present,” US Vogue’s Lauren Santo Domingo
- “I had a midlife crisis when I was 9, so I’m not worried about that.” Daphne Guinness asked if she worries about ageing.
- “Just because I’ve become spiritual doesn’t mean I can’t love crocodile.” Tom Ford
- “I think that if you look uncomfortable you don’t look good and that’s something I see in a lot of people, like, running down the street in these awful shoes… it’s like, you don’t have any swagger, you look crazy, just wear flats!” Beth Ditto should wear heels.
- P.S FiFi celebrates Anna Birthday with this shoot from French Vogue 2007
What: The Perfect Grey Tee
Which: You want a grey tee this season to wear with everything. The Bonds classic tee is the perfect dark grey. It has just the right neckline. The sleeves are short but they are not clinging and sit perfectly over the arm. It is long enough so you won’t flash any muffin top. Buy it in a bigger size so it is a little on the loose side. You can go for a lighter grey as well for a softer look.
Why: Because it will lift all the basic black. Because it will tone down any bright colours or prints. Because we first saw it at YSL and loved the look. Because it sits so well under a statement jacket. Because there is nothing chicer and more understated than a simple Tee. Just ask any French woman in Paris. Because grey looks fabulous with big chunky, silver jewellery.
Wear: With your favourite peg leg pants and a blazer. Wear under a trench back with jeans. Wear with high waist skirts, with leather shorts, or with pretty print skirts. Wear with stone chinos or with grey skinny jeans. Wear with layers of over the top silver necklaces all piled up. Wear with everything.
Where: $22 Bonds Classic Tee from K-Mart, major department stores or go to Bonds. Seen below at The Satorialist, Jak and Jil and Style.com.
It had to happen…
After seasons of over the top, serious stomp-a-licious sky high, killer heels the low kitten heel is coming back.
It was all over the runways for next summer 2010.
This is a little fashion alert.
It doesn’t mean you have to throw out all your favourite outrageous monster shoes.
It just means you shouldn’t go crazy spending a fortune and buying up more crazy shoes.
It means that when you spy something on sale now you can invest for the future.
Just know that when things go up, they have to come down.
Please don’t cry. I understand.
For all those stumpy midgets, such as myself, it’s going to be difficult to give up all that extra leg lengthening height. I like it up here.
Check out Style.com for inspiration at Marni, Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, Prada and Michael Kors
- Because you are so white they can see you from Space.
- Because your cellulite needs covering up…pronto!
- Because you don’t want to get exposed to the killer non existent ozone layer.
- Because it’s fabulous and it works!
- Because it looks natural.
- Because you don’t want a tan that is the same colour as an Hermes box.
- Because it’s formulated with a revolutionary plant extract activated by exposure to light for a natural ‘sunkissed radiance’.
- Because we all want sun kissed radiance non?
$39.95 SkinWear TAN+GO Self Tanning Mousse from Myer, selected salons and Priceline
- ‘Tom Ford’s directorial debut — a poignant, stunningly realized tale of loss and longing, starring Colin Firth and Julianne Moore — is ready for its close-up.’ We love Tom Ford ! here in W.
- ‘Not since Titanic unleashed Leo-mania has an actor sparked the overnight adulation that greeted Robert Pattinson’s 2008 debut as Edward Cullen in Twilight. Now on the cover of Vanity Fair ! Whatever…
- Check out photographer Nick Knights’s SHOWstudio and watch the live shoot with Natalia and then the amazing video ‘Fantasia‘ with Lily Donaldson.
- Net-a-Porter have ditched the plastic mannequins and now have a video section on some pieces of clothing. (The model does not have a head but that’s OK.) Love it.
- Check out the building of the set for the Chanel Spring Summer Show, days in the making! Amazing/.
- ‘Brave model, Nastya Karzan, wore a spy cam in her hair during the Chanel show in Paris. Now watch the entire fashion show experience via mini camera. Cool.
- Natalie Portman has a sexy androgynous look for the latest cover of V magazine. Mario Testino shot Portman in London and the actress talked to the magazine about her first-ever sex scene in the upcoming war drama, “Brothers” where she’s the loyal wife of a marine, played by Tobey Maguire. Says WWD.
- We Love US Vogue’s Grace Coddington: here she is signing her book “The Catwalk Cats” (See FiFi Report 143) to benefit the Animal Rescue Fund. Bless.
- What has happened to Gemma Ward?
- Model Rianne Ten Haken is on the cover of the new Italian Vogue.
- Check out the fabulous, new temporary Prada shop at Place Beauvau 92, in Paris, opened to the public until February 2010.
- Twilight stars Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are on the cover of Harper’s Bazaar’s December issue and there is a video too. Enough already.
- Claridge’s Hotel in London has asked John Galliano to decorate the Christmas tree that greets the guests in its Art Deco lobby.
- Love the shoot of Yasmin Sewell on Garance Doré.
- After all those rumours months ago about Anna Wintour leaving Vogue to take a job in the White House, the President has finally given her a little side gig on the Committee on the Arts and Humanities. The Cut: New York Magazine’s Fashion Blog
This new online homewares magazine is the brainchild of former Domino magazine Market Editor Michelle Adams and photographer Patrick Cline. Ignore the ( not so good) fashion pages (and the bad cover) and check out the chic interior stories. You won’t get modern UK Elle Deco here but it’s worth a look at this first issue which includes US Vogue Contributer, Carolina Irving’s house.
(The bad name is apparently a name combining New York and London. Oh Please.)
- ‘Feline fine: Lady GaGa poses for wacky Hello Kitty shoot.’ Mail Online
- It’s Lady GaGa on “It’s on with Alexa Chung“. Check out the video here.
- ‘ A Photographer dies after taking Lady GaGa pics… How has this not happened sooner?’ Says The Superficial. Bless…
- Model Stephanie Seymour’s divorce from media multimillionaire Peter Brant is ongoing, but the case is revealing a wealth of information about the ex-couple’s, well, wealth. Every month, Brant spends $500,000 keeping his polo ponies and $30,000 on “household supplies”. Seymour spends $257,000 per month, including $50,000 on new clothes alone. Yes please! Jezebel
- Rihanna opens up to Glamour about the days after the night Chris Brown brutally beat her: “It has taught me so much. I felt like I went to sleep as Rihanna and woke up as Britney Spears.” A nightmare ! Glamour
- The world’s sexiest man alive now has a bead in his beard. People
- New Moon mania! Popsugar
- Kate Hudson: “All men want is sex and a sandwich” Us Magazine
- Gwyneth is sticking to her weekday routine while dealing with rumours that Chris Martin was seen kissing Kate Bosworth at his concert. Popsugar
- A funny video spoof of Kelly Ripa doing Rachel Zoe: I die! Fashionista
- Pregnancy rumours swell as Carla Bruni-Sarkozy takes a break from public life (or did she just have a facelift?). Hello Magazine
- Jake is looking gorgeous here in the new movie Prince of Persia. Marie Claire
- Nicole Kidman: “I’ve explored strange sexual fetish stuff.” In an interview with British GQ. Us Magazine
- Catherine Zeta Jones grows old distastefully in bizarre granny hat. Mail Online
- Very funny: A Gucci video with the very handsome James Franco (must be a viral marketing thing to promote the fragrance non?). Funny or Die
Another fabulous biography from Mary S. Lovell. It’s time to read the book before the movie ‘Amelia’ comes out starring Hilary Swank. (Check out the movie site here.)
Get ready for aviator looks in all the fashion magazines.
“Lovell, also author of Straight on Till Morning: The Biography of Beryl Markham (LJ 9/15/87), delves into the personalities of Earhart and George Palmer Putnam, her media-wise husband. Earhart’s personality and character and the relationships with family and friends as they contributed to her accomplishments are the main thrust.
The book also contains excerpts from Last Flight, Earhart’s reworked logbook and notes on the fateful 1937 flight. It also covers Earhart’s legacy: to dream what seems to be unattainable goals and then to acquire the skills and have the desire and determination to achieve them. Also, while Earhart is known today for her flying career and her mysterious disappearance, this book shows her to be an early advocate of women’s rights, equality, and world peace, who used her fame to help promote them. ” Fabulous.
US$12 Amazon. Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin; Reprint edition (September 1, 2009)
The Christmas List: More Is More: Tony Duquette… by Hutton Wilkinson
“More Is More, the exquisite second volume about Tony Duquette, delves into the creative process and personal life of this great American designer renowned for his fantastical artwork, sculpture, jewelry, gardens, film sets, and interiors.
While Duquette’s own work receives full attention, an entire chapter is devoted to the artwork and persona of his wife, Elizabeth “Beegle”. This personal dimension is further enhanced by countless anecdotes about the fabulous life they led together: their international travels, active social lives among royalty and the jet-set, their many dinner parties and gatherings, their homes and studios.’ Love it !
US$46 Amazon. Publisher: Abrams; 1 edition (October 1, 2009)
Love clothes? But don’t have time to shop?
Love fashion but hate wandering aimlessly around the shops?
Never fear FiFi is here!
Let FiFi take you shopping. We will hit the shops together and you’ll get your complete summer wardrobe in just 3 hours. It couldn’t be easier!
Be one of the first 5 people to book a personal style session with FiFi and you will receive a fabulous free deluxe sample from Bobbi Brown plus a free makeup application!
Email FiFi@FiFi.com.au or find out more information here.
- Check out the fab exercise/aerobic/gym gear here: great for your new fitness campaign so you can hit the beach without crying. Love the crop black, over the knee leggings because they are not too sheer or show too much cellulite. They are made from moisture wicking fabric ‘to absorb moisture’. For an outrageous price of $16 you can’t go wrong.
- Love the grey baby doll pleat top above: a must have for summer $25.
- Buy the black cotton, long and very crinkle/wrinkle sundress with tiers and shoe string straps and cute little broderie anglaise trim now on sale $49. Perfect for the beach or low key pool parties.
- You should try on the cute white or blue print cotton, shoe string, tiered sundresses. Love white (blue and white) for summer and you can thrash it and wear it all summer for $39.
- Well I did get a shock when I saw the black and white snakeskin print, very Prada-esque shift dress $49. It’s sleeveless and very straight and almost loose and shapeless dress, which means it’s easy to wear. Toss on with your killers heels and who would know it’s from K-Mart.
- Love the white nylon spray jacket/parka with a white zip and terry towelling lining so chic for those weekends away $29. Must get one: So lovely to wear white with a (fake) tan over summer. Throw over a skirt and tee when it gets chilly on the yacht. Also in black of course.
Must say that I am looking for things here that I can wear so I am ignoring any bright scary tops and all those short mini dresses. If you were born after 1995 you may find a few more things. But pour moi I am always searching for cheap but chic fashion finds…
- So check out the grey marle Tee with a low neck line, with a black stripe starting just under the boobies. A stripe top is a must for summer. $49
- Buy the clusters of bangles in a mix silver and wooden:an instant wardrobe updater. Nothing like stacking cuffs and bangles up your arm for an injection of cool. You get 5 bangles for $29.
- Love the ombre grey/cream to grey muslin scarves. So right to toss on to lighten the look and add a bit of je ne said quoi. What more do you want for $29?
- Still love the gladiator jellies which I mentioned last week, $29. Great for the pool or the beach.
- You want the black crop silky harem pants with their own belt $79. You do. I am addicted to pants and love not worrying about the fake tan/shaving leg situation when running out the door.
- Buy the caftans here: they have a great selection. Go for the multi print bright blue with white jet jewels along the neckline (take them off if you don’t like but I don’t mind them) $89 or buy the cotton linen caftans about $79. Good because they are not too short and you can wear to the beach without revealing ugly muffin knees. Believe me. My knees were only revealed as part of Halloween.
- Love the cute crinkle, cotton sundress in black or white with shoe string straps and a cute subtle ruffle sitting quite happily just on the front. It has a tiered hem. This has throw-it-on-casual feel about it. $79.
- There are heaps of fabulous Maxi dresses in prints or plain black or even in tie dye from about $89. Handy. And all you need for summer.
- You want the fab stripe racer back cotton tee in grey and cream with a cute pocket on the front $39. Cool under a boyfriend blazer or with jeans.
- Check out the boyfriend faded jeans that are on sale $39. A great cut in that they are a little more high waisted but not Harry high pants. (I actually bought a pair.) Don’t be a snob about jeans. Wear with a quality bag and a Burberry trench/blazer and voila.
- Love the black (or cobalt blue) floppy V neck cami with a scattering of sequins and beads across one side and shoulder. It is a little big and floppy and seems to have a plunging cleavage so buy a smaller size. These will skim not cling so can cover the muffin areas. Now on sale for an outrageous $39.
- Check out the ribbon chiffon flower necklace $34 and all the great chunky silver necklaces.
- Always love the stripes here: Go for the Tees with a square neckline and cut off sleeves $49 in a multi stripe. Love the stripe Tee dress too with 3/4 sleeves in navy and white: chic de la chic $69.
- Check out the short, bandage dresses: very Herve Leger in black or grey. They are called ribbon knit dresses, very sexy minexy. For girls who don’t need to eat or breath. At the same time. Bless. $179
- For those who want to show off their legs you must try the short, mini navy silky jumpsuit, it’s sleeveless and has a racer back. $269.
- Buy the cute chiffon halter top in orange in a wrinkle chiffon, $139. I see a lot of hot pink and horrible pale lilac. It’s Armani how can this be? Please keep walking.
- And then try on the chic, white cotton dress with a V neck, a full skirt, and big puff sleeves, so easy to wear but you will need to sex it up. With monster heels. I think it has a white grosgrain belt too. $239
- Buy the chunky, big link belt in silver and wear it as a necklace $99. I have tried it on a few times as a necklace and it works. You just double it up so you get the 2 strands. Cool.
- Check out the crop, pleat front pants pant in a crepe de chine, that stop just over the knee, $169. Wear with heels and a blazer. Not for flats. They are surprisingly flattering.
- Buy the black sleeveless silky, jumpsuit with a drawstring: love a jumpsuit. It’s like a dress; you don’t have to think about what goes with it or if anything matches. Just throw it and walk out the door. But please: don’t drink too much. $129
- There are some cute new beach bags in store that are very Marimekko inspired in their big circle prints: quite the chicest thing. Take them supermarket shopping (so much nicer than those horrid green bags). $49
- Buy the grey marle tank/beach cover up: like a mini dress with slashed sides: It’s very loose and just perfect for tossing over the bikini. $129
- Check out the fab denim jacket: very Azzedine Alaia with a lot of darts and panels, zip and very fitted. It has a little volume on the shoulders so you get the look of shoulder pads. Yes, you want them remember. The buttons are asymmetrical double breasted and it does up on the side with orange stitching. It almost has a peplum. Wear over skinny black pants or with a pencil skirt. Yes, there is a denim on denim trend but I am not going there. Too Barry Manilow. $395
- Must mention the black cotton, short jacket which is very similar to the denim one above. It’s very fitted and a little Louis Vuitton inspired with a round neckline and hidden buttons. The fitted close to the body look is the big trend coming next season. Sorry. $495
- Buy the ‘petal’ trim, silk sleeveless tank; I have reported on it before and it’s gorgeous. Also in a dress and in black, navy and cream. $580
- There are black sequin harem pants. Yes, there are. You secretly want them, I know you do. Very fashion so I have to report them. Love with a white tee and heels: always heels. Outrageous. $295
Paul & Joe
The new winter collection has finally arrived in store and of course, it’s fabulous. And there is more to come.
- You want the divine black wool single breasted cape princess coat. Yes, it’s a cape/coat: the sleeves are cut so they are like a poncho. Think Sherlock Holmes. But chic of course. It has lovely silver black buttons and side slit pocket. A perfect coat for Australia. Love. $1250
- There is a fabulous floral poncho silk dress: it’s has a caramel background and a multi colour Gauguin style abstract print. So easy and so relaxed. So luxe. You want this. $895
- Love the simple but over the top and very glitzy and shiny black or gold sequin dress. It’s hot and very Balmain with cap sleeves and quite short! $895. This is a serious party dress and only for those who can rock it with élan.
- You will adore the very wide, baggy man style pants in a prince of wales black and white check. Yes, it’s true the skinny narrow pants is the hot look but you also need to know that the man style dressing is a huge trend for next season. And let’s face it how many of us can wear those narrow pants? Wear a wide floppy pant with a simple narrow tank to keep the balance and the femininity. $695
- Buy the gorgeous navy drape front wool gaberdine dress: it’s fitted but seems to be cut on the bias so that it will skim and not cling. It has lovely softly ruched sleeves $795.
This is like a delicious capsicum pesto. Perfect with fish, prawns, chicken or pasta. You can leave it in the fridge to munch on with rocket and crunchy bread.
You need to make a jar which will feed about 6 chic shoppers:
3 red capsicums
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ cup walnuts, lightly toasted
1/3 cup olive oil
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
2 long red chillies, seeded
2 garlic cloves
lots of salt
- Slip out of gladiator heels.
- Put down sword.
- Slip into grey marle one shoulder toga.
- Pour a wine.
- Gulp it down.
- Say thanks to the gods you made it to Friday.
- Turn on the oven and roast the capsicums.
- While they are cooking you could have another wine.
- Or you could toast the coriander and cumin seeds until they smell gorgeous don’t let them burn. Might take about 2 minutes.
- Let them cool then smash the seeds in a mortar and pestle. Think of your ex boyfriend and give it a good thumping.
- Now take the capsicums out of the oven and let them cool down. They are a little angry right now.
- Then you can peel and seed them.
- Smash the garlic now too.
- Get out the whizzer and toss in the walnuts, oil, coriander, chillies, capsicums, and the ground seeds and blend till as smooth as an exfoliator scrub.
- Season with a good dollop of salt and pepper.
- Serve with aplomb.