- “She’s vice captain of her class! My goodness! I’ve never been vice captain of anything! She wants to be a chef, and her imaginary husband is a chef too. I was mother of the bride at their imaginary wedding, standing on the side holding her imaginary baby.” Kate Moss talks about her daughter. (NB: the new Christmas collection is now online at TopShop)
- “I hate celebrities. All those pointless girls — I won’t name names, but you know who I mean. They are ‘famous.’ Ridiculous. I like women with style to wear my shoes.” (and imaginary husbands) Manolo Blahnik
- “The fact that thin is in — who cares? It’s why I stopped eating. I think food is for fat people and poor people. Rich people don’t eat. They get dressed up and go shopping.” (For Manolo Blahniks) stylist Robert Verdi.
- “Never! Never, that’s my idea of hell. I was asked to do a line. I was like, ‘Are you crazy?’” Christian Louboutin on designing clothes (for fat or skinny people).
- “I remember when I was young, they told me that if I didn’t lose weight I’d be out of the show, so I spent a week living off of coffee.” Grace Coddington of her younger days being a model (didn’t eat and went shopping).
- “I love Monopoly, Parcheesi, Chinese checkers and anything that keeps me occupied from getting married again.” And eating again? Whoopi Goldberg
- “I don’t want to stand next to a 20-year-old on the runway, even if people say you can still do it. It is like, ‘Why would I do that to myself?’ It would just make me depressed.” Cindy Crawford (yes, but I don’t want to stand next to Cindy Crawford.)
- “I usually wear the same dress twenty times. I think it’s always fun to have something new, but it doesn’t mean that everything you already have in your closet has to be thrown out, you know? Recycle.” Rich and very dressed Anna Wintour.
- You are strapped and zipped into a Chloe jumpsuit: And had too much Evian.
- You are experimenting with the new McQueen platforms for comfort and speed.
- You want to feel the wind in your hair (on your legs).
- You have run out of Creme de Mer.
- You think you saw George Clooney.
- The new TopShop Collection has finally arrived at Incu in Paddington.
- Get in there quickly before it all sells out !
What: Chunky Link Necklaces
Which: You want big, chunky link necklaces this summer. We have seen them lurking on the fashion radar for a couple of seasons and now they take centre stage. Go for a chunky necklace that is tough. A necklace that makes a statement. It can be in gold but I prefer silver (and it was all over the runways for next summer 2010). Layer and stack them up. The good news? You can buy them on sale now from stores like Sportsgirl and Portmans.
Why: Because when you have chunky big shoes, chunky big bags and oversized shoulder pads you need jewellery that stands out. Jewellery that can hack the mean pace. Because a necklace will instantly update all your dresses from last season. Because when the going gets tough the tough go shopping for tough stuff.
Wear: With simple shifts and architectural shapes. A chunky necklace also loves a long sleeve print dress. It loves a simple neckline. It loves layering and it loves black and white. It doesn’t love BoHo. NoNo.
Where: Sportsgirl, Portmans, Mimco, Peep Toe, Aldo, Witchery and YSL at Net-a-Porter
Reasons to love Dermalogica Age Smart Dynamic Skin Recovery:
- It hydrates your skin and makes your face feel soft and divine.
- It’s a medium-weight, emollient moisturiser that sinks right in.
- It has SPF30 to stop sun damage to prevent you looking any older than you are.
- It’s less expensive than botox.
- It does not hurt.
- It has no artificial fragrance or color so won’t clash with your Gucci shoes or Chanel 19.
- It has a ‘patented polypeptide combined with Glucosamine and Soy that stimulates collagen synthesis, plus Vitamin C, Yeast Extract and Phytoestrogens’. This means you could probably eat it for breakfast.
- It has no calories.
- It works! It’s a miracle! I look like Angelina Jolie and more than ten years younger ! *
$112.00 Dermalogica Age Smart Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF30 from Adore Beauty.
* OK, maybe that’s a lie, I look more than 7 years younger.
- Adore this amazing Tim Walker shoot of Tim Burton in US Harper’s Bazaar in anticipation of his retrospective at New York’s Museum of Modern Art.
- The new Kate Moss Christmas Collection for TopShop is out. She says to the Guardian UK, “I do like a pyjama. I wore a pair out as evening wear in New York once, and there was a massive snowstorm. We couldn’t get a cab, so I had to walk home in them. It was freezing, but they did look good.”
- Models strip for Climate change! So cute for 350.org. Watch the video here.
- Read about the fabulous world of Nick Knight! ‘Digital manipulation, unconventional models, streaming shoots live on the net — Nick Knight has torn up the rule book on fashion photography. All about the genius photographer here.
- Ashley Olsen has a brain …and opinions…! she chats to the Washington Post’s Robin Givhan, Isaac Mizrahi and Glamour’s Cindi Leive about the “Future of Fashion“.
- Check out how tall those McQueen platforms shoes really are… No one at Vogue UK could walk in them.
- Smythson have collaborated with designer-of-the-moment Erdem to produce a limited-edition collection of divine notebooks and diaries featuring Erdem’s signature prints and romantic colour-blocked line drawings engraved and printed on goatskin leather. Gorgeous.
- Marni does macaroons. Yum!
- Forbes named Yves Saint Laurent the top-earning dead celebrity this week. The late designer’s earnings total $350 million this year, surpassing the $90 million Michael Jackson has earned since his death in June. Good to spend it while you are living non?
- Michelle Obama appears on the cover of the December issue of Glamour.
- ‘Adrenaline junkie Maia Norman (married to artist Damien Hirst) wedges a red-hot fashion line into a jam-packed life’ and chats to W magazine.
- When I grow up I want to be Daphne Guinness in those crazy shoes…
- After a long and storied career at W magazine spanning back to the early 1990s, features director James Reginato has left the magazine, Further layoffs are expected at W next week. Oopsies !
- James Franco and Freida Giannini, head designer of Gucci, take the cover of i-D Magazine.
Pink Ribbon Day was on Monday, 26th October. But that doesn’t mean you should miss out on this fabulous sass & bide tee.
“For the fifth year in a row, sass & bide are helping to support this very special cause by releasing a limited edition designer tee, which will retail for $50 with funds raised going towards Cancer Council’s breast cancer research, education and support programs.” A cool tee for a great cause!
$50 Call Cancer Council Australia on 1300 65 65 85. Visit www.pinkribbonday.com.au
- Miranda Kerr goes high-fashion for V magazine …and bares her bottom ! New York Magazine
- Justin Timberlake gets a restraining order against a stalker, and surprisingly it wasn’t Cameron Diaz. says The Superficial
- ‘Peter Andre and Jordan to be shot up into Outer Space… “In a bid to save the planet from the pollution of their being, EU leaders have decided it is the best thing for humanity to have these two soulless, banal bores who are clogging up the world’s media every minute of the day, shot into the far regions of the galaxy.” Could not have said it better myself… um, er can you take Paris Hilton and LiLo too. The Daily Squib’
- Malawi Orphan to Madonna: “You Are Our God.” Oh, they really do need help… Us Magazine
- Lindsay eats: we think. The Superficial
- Kate Hudson and Alex Rodriguez “Love Sex,” Says Pal….. (What a nice ‘Pal’) Us Magazine
- Patrick Dempsey is nearly as handsome as George Clooney. Nearly. Popsugar
- More shots of Julia Roberts — in a bikini — on the set of Eat, Pray, Love. The Superficial
- Shakira shows off her best assets on this revealing cover of Rolling Stone. Just Jared
- Jennifer Esposito, Mark Philippoussis are engaged! She was married to Bradley Cooper. Us Magazine
- Bradley Cooper is now dating Renee or have they split? Watch Sandra Bullock ask him who he is dating! ET Online
- Ivanka Trump gets married and plugs her jewellery line at the same time. People
- Silver is in: Jennifer Lopez looks fab at the Premiere of “This Is It“. People
- While Gwyneth Paltrow always look fabulous: now at the launch of “The Last Emperor” DVD and here in London.
Penguin has released a new, fabulous, classics collection of absolutely gorgeous cloth-bound books. Now available from Borders Books. Divine. Choose all your favourite classics from Madame Bovary to Great Expectations, Wuthering Heights and Sense and Sensibility. Even if you don’t read them you need to have a collection of these books on your book shelves: they are so pretty.
Read about the designer here.
The Christmas List: French Essence: Ambience, Beauty and Style in Provence… by Vicki Archer and Carla Coulson
This is another divine book from Vicki Archer who wrote My French Life with fabulous photographs by Carla Coulson.
“French Essence is a celebration of life in Provence, one of the most charming regions of France. Vicki Archer reveals the underpinnings of that famous French ambience and sense of style, and offers inspiration to all of us who want to understand the beauty, experience the lifestyle and emulate the interiors of this exquisite part of the world.
Ten years ago, Vicki Archer bought and restored a seventeenth-century property in Saint-Remy-de-Provence, and told the story in her book My French Life. Now, in collaboration again with celebrated photographer Carla Coulson, she shares with us her love for Provence.” Divine.
$59.95 Penguin. Published: Penguin 28 September 2009
- Love, love, love the jewellery here as I mentioned last week. You can buy online so if you want some very over the top Lanvin inspired necklaces or amazing jewelled cuffs. Especially because they are all about $69. Outrageous.
- You want the very cute denim bag with a skull and chain strap: how cool is that? Very. $99
- In the shoes (which I think are pretty over priced for the quality) go for the soft pink nude platform heels, a very simple pump $249. A pale shoe is the colour or non colour of the season. They say it lengthens your leg because it gives the illusion that your legs keep going right to your tippy toes. Also this neutral will go with everything. They are very high so make sure you can have a car and a driver. (Yes that price is not very economy, sorry!)
- You want the very cool black glomesh square shoulder bag with a very Lanvin style lock clasp. It has a silver chain handle but I think you should ditch that and carry it as a clutch. It’s perfect for the party season. $49
- Check out the black resin cuff on sale with pearls and cream stones in a cross now on sale $19. Also love the black version belwo now $24. It’s all about the cuff this season and wouldn’t it be great to stack the cuffs up your arm for maximum statement. Ok just go for one on each wrist. Wonder Woman style.
- Love the cute jellies/gladiators in clear plastic or black. So chic, so perfect for going to the beach and walking through the rock pools, $24. Why spend any more?
- Also check out the sale for a lot of great denim pieces.
- Oh my it seems that sequins and glomesh is everywhere. So don’t spend a fortune on this trend. Buy the cool little silver glomesh evening bag, $29. Sorry Oroton!
- Love the maxi cotton dresses here $69 in a lot of bright colours and prints from about $39. The best one is in the swimsuit department: It is a halter neck and has black background with a pretty pinks/red/blue/green paisley print, $39. Yes, please. And I love the black and white zebra print cotton long maxi dress with tiny sparkle of sequins along the neckline that you can hardly see. $39
- The shoes, the shoes, the shoes: I see the YSL cage shoe (copy!). What the? It’s nearly sold out but there it is right before my eyes, $39. They even have a zip up the back. Incredible.
- Love the silver snakeskin flats gladiators flat. $29
- Need a hat for the races? Just going for one day a year and don’t want to spend a fortune? I see a chic black net hat with a flower. No one will ever know it’s from Target. I promise. $49. Spend the money on shoes instead.
- Sequins are everywhere as I predicted months ago. Checkout the black sequin floppy blazer $59. What a bargain. It’s not so structured and almost like a cardigan. This makes it a bit more relaxed and easier to wear. Throw over a white Tank and back with jeans. Let’s face it for $59 you can’t really go wrong. Just make sure your shoes have an extra zero at $590. So you don’t look cheap. We can’t have FiFi readers looking cheap.
- So what about the grey marle rib tanks for $12? Oh my Lord. American Vogue is more expensive. I am not saying they are fabulous quality and they could be a little, shall we say, on thin sheer side. But so handy to toss on for the weekends. Buy in every colour.
- If you have great legs (or you think you have great legs) and you want to show them off then you should buy the very Lanvin inspired one shoulder short, cotton, animal print dress. Don’t worry it’s in a black and grey animal print. Not scary. $34
- Love the black sequin, over sized Tee but it’s very short and cropped. Wear with a high waist skirt. $39
- Let’s face it you need a bag for evening and especially with the party season looming. Check out the sequin black oversized clutch here, $39. It will work with everything and could be the only sequins you wear.
- You want the very chic, understated and simple patent T bar flats now on sale for $49. Fabulous. In patent white, black, pink or aqua with a brown leather sole. They have a very small silver buckle. Perfect for those not wanting to do a Russell Crowe Gladiator look.
- Buy the very Nicholas Kirkwood inspired black and blue suede platforms. Meaning that the platform juts out on the sole (a Kirkwood signature). See below. Also in black On sale $119.
- Check out the black multi strap peeptoe heels about $180.
- In the beach wear try the white broderie anglaise, drawstring halter dress with gold buttons up the front. It’s an easy, throw it, on loose, A-line dress which is prefect for the pool. $295
- You want the navy and white stripe Tee dress with batwing sleeves: it’s loose and over sized with a very wide stripe, $235. You could hide a muffin top under there and no one would ever know.
- Buy the small print dress in a black and white print: it’s asymmetrical and has side pockets and is very cute. $290
- I spy a fabulous slouch drawstring/bucket bag in a grey with a slight sparkle shimmer with a wide handle, $450. No hardware and so simple. This will work summer or winter.
- Of course Zimmermann is the place to go for dresses: love the halter in bright colours $295, the blue sequin trapeze racer back dress $550, but watch the length they can be quite short.
You can now buy online! So if the shoes fits…
- If you love the men’s style lace up look (and it’s happening and it’s hot) then check out the black brogues with a soft pointy toe. They are pretty masculine so you have to wear with a pretty dress or something feminine. Think Christopher Kane. $278
- If you are after ballet flats or flats of any kind (and I know you are) then try on the chic ankle strap flat sandals with studs along the ankle strap. Get over it and don’t worry about your cankles: you know the shoes are hot. $278.00
- Love the black or chic caramel suede ballet flat with elastic sides. So chic. So Lanvin. So right for summer. $228
- Buy the flat faux snakeskin ballets flats with elastic sides. So chic, so right, so comfortable. So can shop for hours not in pain. $128
- You want the black satin shift dress with very puff big sleeves a la Lanvin: tres chic, $279. It’s called the power shoulder dress but don’t let that put you off. It’s a straight shape and very simple. Wear with a fabulous chunky necklace and your killer heels.
- Love the boyfriend blazer with stripe lining: a must have and you can wear through the seasons. Love it over a skirt or a dress and especially with shorts and heels. It’s into about wearing it as a trouser suit. Wear over a simple tank with peg legs. $329
- Buy the lovely ‘foil linen’ dress in a shimmery black, it’s very Dries or Marni with cap sleeves. It’s fitted to the waist with side pockets and a scattering of silver studs around the neckline and a loose shape, almost a Marni style, $279. A good day dress.
- Feeling outrageous and can rock the sass & bide look? Then buy the over the top but very cool ‘crackerjack’ harem pants in an animal print in silver and blue. Wear a simple tank and monster heels. Wear with confidence. $350
- You will get a lot of wear from the black round neck tee: it has lovely pleating and ruffles along the edges of the sleeves and has racer back, $190. It’s a tee that is a little more fashion than a basic tee. The necklace below is cool too. $220
- If you are wanting to flash a bit of skin with your swimsuit then try the S&B one piece black backless swimsuit with a black grosgrain trim along the edges. $190
- Love the denim jacket in a shimmery black and silver animal print: it’s very short and cropped and very Azzedine Alaia inspired. Very 80’s. Wear over your body con bandage dress. $320
- There is an over the top stud slouch leather handbag, $495 and a black leather clutch covered in studs, $495. You could buy Miu Miu or other such handbags online or at the Outnet for the same price but it’s pretty cool.
- Love the black or caramel leather stud cuffs, $95. Stack them up your arm. That’s the way to wear the tough stud look without going crazy.
- In the shoe or bag department. Or if you can’t afford the Hermes version, for evening there is a silver gunmetal ruffle leather over sized clutch: it’s chic and big enough to fit in all your makeup, iPhone and keys. You can’t complain about that. $395
- Love the original glomesh bags in silver or gunmetal. (The gold is very over the top.) They are perfect for adding a little metallic to your wardrobe.
A great place for classic work wear as well as divine luxury basics…
- Adore the black leather blazer, quite easy and simple. Understated luxe. $2300
- You want the divine grey patent leather cropped jacket/trench. It’s quite short, just to the top of the hips, belted and double breasted. Wear summer, autumn, winter, spring. Love it over a print dress or with harem pants. Might get a bit hot in summer but in trans-seasonal weather it’s fabulous. $2379
- Buy the divine dark navy leather military jacket with double breasted brown buttons, which are a little asymmetrical. Military is the hot look if you didn’t know. $1789
- Buy the black sequin rib tank (the front is only sequins). This is a great shape tank and the sequins don’t look glitzy. $349
Polo Ralph Lauren
It’s not so very fashion here but I don’t see any fabulous chic basics either. It’s a little kooky in a way. Not so expensive here as you would think.
- You want the cute summery white top with a red stripe. Love it. I like the white lacing and eyelets at the V front about $345.
- Check out the white Tee shirt sleeveless dress with a cobalt blue stripe. It does has a few ruffles and tiers along the bottom which makes it a little frou frou. $599
- Buy the very Bally-esque red and white stripe cotton belts with a silver buckle. Love the sporty look and it’s a big trend next season.
Shanghai Noodles with Sliced Beef and Garlic Chives… adulterated from Stephanie Alexander at Cuisine.
This is easy and quite delicious. Make sure you use the best steak you can find. I added red chilli because it needed more va va voom. Plus remember you need an hour to marinate the meat. Then you stir fry it with noodles and capsicum and toss in more sauce. Voila!
You need for 2 fashion editors, 10 models or one big hungry bloke:
150g rump steak, topside or porterhouse, thinly sliced against the grain
250g thick, fresh Shanghai wheat noodles
1½ tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp white sugar
1 red capsicum, seeded and sliced
60g garlic chives, cut into 5mm lengths
Tip: It needs the garlic chives so don’t try it with boring old garden variety chives because it won’t be the same. Scientific tests have proved it.
Serve with a handful coriander if you love it.
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp oyster sauce
2 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp white sugar
2 tsp cornflour
A few drops sesame oil
- Change out of Chanel tweed jacket. No one want to cook in that.
- Climb into Gucci leisure suit.
- Pour a big glass of wine.
- Take a deep breath and relax.
- First of all make the marinade by mixing all the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Slice the beef and toss with the marinade.
- Pop in the fridge and let it marinate for an hour.
- Pour another wine. Hic!
- Time to cook the noodles: so boil some water, toss in noodles.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then drain and run under cold water so they are not gooey.
- Moisterise with a few drops of the peanut oil and give it a toss. Set aside for a little alone time.
- Before you stir fry the meat mix together the oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and sugar and set aside.
- Pour another wine. Then slice the capsicum into chic small slices.
- Find wok and splash in peanut oil. You can never have enough moisteriser.
- Throw in and stir-fry the lovely red capsicum for about a minute so that it stays crunchy.
- Toss in the beef with the marinade and cook for about a minute or so. You don’t want to over cook the meat.
- Now toss in the noodles and the chic green garlic chives and give it a stir-fry for about two minutes.
- Toss in the extra sauce to add more richness.
- The noodles should be as glossy brown as Lindsay Lohan on a bad day.
- Serve hot accessorised with lots of sliced red chilli scattered over it.
- Some coriander could be lovely too.