- “I read in the New York Times this week that I’m an ice queen, I’m the Sun King, I’m an alien fleeing from District 9 and I’m a dominatrix. So I reckon that makes me a lukewarm royalty with a whip from outer space. What do you think?” Anna to David Letterman.
- “Beautiful women ( in the pages of Vogue) look like the Neptunians have released them. But nobody buys that stuff, do they? Is somebody walking around like they’re from Neptune?” asks Letterman
- “Lots of people… I’m an alien, remember?” Anna replies.
- “There was the movie the Devil Wears Prada and you were, good luck, the devil in the title….is there truth to that?” asks Letterman
- “Well, I seem to remember that actually the movie was a work of fiction and we really like fiction at Vogue.” Anna’s view on the film.
- “I am not always warm and cuddly” Anna on her reputation on being tough.
- “Grace Coddington said we have a lot of mutual respect but there are a lot of times she wanted to kill me.” Anna
- “Have you ever put anyone in a headlock?” Asks Letterman.
- “Maybe you.” replies Anna.
- See the interview here!
My favourite Fashion Statements;
- “I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes. I had one thousand and sixty.” Imelda Marcos
- “When in doubt, wear red.” Bill Blass
- “Looking fifty is great - if you’re sixty” Joan Rivers
- “I’m sorry. What I say is only applicable as I am saying it.” Karl Lagerfeld
- “I base my fashion sense on what doesn’t itch.” Gilda Radner
- “Don’t give a woman advice; one should never give a woman anything she can’t wear in the evening. ” Oscar Wilde
Lost for words? Throw on a fabulous ( cheap but chic) statement Necklace. Then shut up. Head to Witchery, Diva, Equip, Portmans, and Sportsgirl ( and then drool over the divine Vogue UK shoot here.)
Which: Shorts are a big trend for summer. Scary isn’t it?. For those with sexy legs you can toss on short, cuffed shorts in any colour you want. Denim looks great too. For the rest of us there are serious guidelines. You can wear shorts to the knee but they need to be narrow. The short, baggy look works with fabulous legs but please ignore any bloomers stopping at the knee. Go for high waist, darker flattering, understated colours and stiff fabrics. You don’t need anything flapping around: your thighs do that for you.
Why: Because shorts are a great alternative to trousers when it gets hot. Because they are more casual than a skirt and a little more hip. Because shorts are not as sexy as a mini. Because they look cool that’s why.
Wear: With killer heels, with monster heels, with Alien heels. These shorts are a fashion item and not for wearing on Safari. Wearing shorts with flats is outrageously tricky for anyone who is not a mutation of the species (i.e a model). Wear with your favourite sharp shoulder blazer. Wear with a tank and a zip sporty jacket. Wear with a sequin tank or a blouse. Wear with body lotion and fake tan.
Where: Head to Country Road, Witchery, Sportsgirl, Sussan, Scanlan Theodore, and Marcs. Also check out the resort 2010 collections on style.com of Proenza Schouler, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Marni and Tory Buch
Must do beauty preparations for summer include:
- Full body wax dip.
- Or try my new absolute favourite: Bobbi Brown’s Buffing grains for the face. I am addicted! Simply pour a small amount ( depending on how fat your face is) onto your palm and combine with a little water or your cleanser. Then massage onto your skin to exfoliate. Rinse with water and Voila! This is a fabulous way to buff off dead skin. I promise your face will be glowing and ever so soft. Apparently the grains are made from Japanese Adzuki Bean Powder. So good you could almost eat them. Please don’t. You are on a diet remember.
$60 Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains for Face from Myer and David Jones.
- For her new video Madonna wears Balmain! Of course! see more here
- Lily Allen is looking fabulous in a blonde wig on the cover of ELLE UK’s October issue. Check out the cool behind the scenes video here
- Dominick Dunne, a best-selling author and special correspondent for Vanity Fair, has died from Cancer.
- US Vogue’s Creative Director Grace Coddington chats about The September Issue on (the new fabulously redesigned) US Vogue.com
- The fashion world might still be abuzz about “The September Issue,” but at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI), it’s all about Marc Jacobs! Get to Melbourne to see it! acmi.net.au
- Check out SJP, Kanye, Diane Von Furstenburg and Anna Wintour smile on the video for Fashion Night’s Out.
- Why Kate Moss is still queen of grunge. Then check out the new Kate Moss for TopShop Autumn Winter collection.
- Why Carine Roitfeld is still the Queen of chic:’ this season she is hankering after a black, belted, slightly military coat, just below the knee; a black cape - “not too fantastical”; and a velvet pencil skirt . She has re-embraced handbags, will never forsake bondage shoes but had moved on from the big, shaggy fur coat.’
- Love the pages from French Vogue of Grace Coddington’s days as a model.
- Another interview with Rachel Zoe: she says” Who I am on the show is who I am in real life. ” Oh NO!
And check out the hundreds of shoes in her office! A dream!
- Then watch the Rachel Zoe spoof Video here …Hilarious ! We die!
- Love, love, love Phoebe Philo’s first collection for her new post at Celine .
- Who’s that girl? Arianne Phillips is Hollywood’s wardrobe mistress, Madonna’s style confidante and a global trendsetter. Just don’t call her a celebrity stylist.
- Check out the cool Pixie Geldolf shoot in Vogue UK.
- Check out the stunning Natalie Portman on the September 2009 cover of of Interview Magazine. Read more here.
- It’s double vision: Kate’s new images for her TopShop line and Scarlett for Mango. Check it out here.
It’s an amazing new fashion site launched in the US and UK: it’s TV! It’s shopping! It’s full on! It’s backed by Simon Fuller (Spice Girl’s ex-manager) and one of the founders of Net-a-Porter. It’s a fashion TV and shopping site with videos galore….
To celebrate Daffodil Day today, 11 of Australia’s favourite fashion designers have created a Daffodil Day inspired fashion piece. Vote for your favourite and the chance to win a $500 Shopping Voucher. Bless.
- Milla Jovovich married Paul W.S Anderson and looked gorgeous in a Temperley London dress. Blasblog
- “I have cellulite. I admit it.” says Cindy Crawford. People
- How Did George Clooney Break His Hand? helping FiFi cook? People
- Chris Brown should be sentenced to not listen to his own music. Vanity Fair
- Leonardo DiCaprio asked to drop 30 pounds for his role in Inception. This is what happens when you hang out with Russell Crowe. The Superficial
- Gisele brings her bump out ! Popsugar
- Jessica Simpson calls her dog a “Lesbian”. Us Magazine
- Police: Michael Jackson’s Doctor waited 82 mins. before dialing 911 …oopsies! People
- Melanie Griffith has checked into a rehab facility. “She is there to reinforce her commitment to stay healthy.” Because she is drunk. People
- Anna Paquin: “My Uterus Is Really Flattered” by Pregnancy Rumors
“But sorry, no occupants,” the True Blood star jokes usmagazine
- Julia Roberts looks daggy on the set of Eat, Pray, Love. Popsugar
- Michelle Obama wears a cossie and plastic sandals on holidays! New York Magazine
- Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler were seen “hand in hand”. People
- Pink platform flip flops, neon pink nails, and a green scarf covering that red hair… it MUST be Helena Bonham Carter. Mail Online
- Slain Model identified by breast implants after fingers, teeth removed… she was a barbie doll! Us Magazine
- Kendra and Kourtney still want to breastfeed despite implants: a great way to be identified (they all look like fembots) Us Magazine
I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style… by Amanda Brooks
Classic, Bohemian, Minimalist, Street, High Fashion, Eclectic… What’s your style? Fashion muse (and US Vogue contributor Amanda Brooks) uses hundreds of candid images to introduce readers to a dazzling array of style options — from the classic to the eclectic, from the icons of yesterday to the innovators of today and tomorrow.
“In this wonderfully wise book, Amanda Brooks reveals the style secrets of unexpectedly elegant, singular women from all walks of life. It’s candid, canny and cool, much like Brooks herself.” —Anna Wintour
US$13.59 Amazon. Publisher: It Books (September 15, 2009)
The Christmas List: Extreme Beauty in Vogue… Edited by Phyllis Posnick, Contribution by Eva Respini
‘Always audacious, sometimes outrageous, Vogue’s images distinguish themselves by their willingness to explore the limits of contemporary ideas of beauty and they are created by the greatest photographers of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From the neoclassical figures of Edward Steichen to the unconventional nudes of Annie Leibovitz, the aggressive portraiture of Helmut Newton, and the modernism of Steven Klein, the photographs in this volume consider the evolving female subject, in all her strength and contradiction. An entire section is devoted to Irving Penn, who transforms the face and body into images of extraordinary imaginative and aesthetic power.’ Love it!
US$55.00 Rizzoli. Publisher: Skira (October 2009).
Getting better and better here… My picks are:
- The amazing black blazer — very Balmain inspired of course — with big shoulder pads and two low double breasted buttons: a great shape and great fabric considering it’s just $249. Looks more expensive. Please don’t turn up your nose and try to escape the shoulder pad situation: It’s here to stay. It wil make your waist look smaller. It will give fatty arbuckles shape. How can you complain about that?
- Love the “luxury silk” chiffon ombre grey to cream loose tank $99. Ombre mean shade in French (bless you for not knowing.) This means there is shading from cream to grey. You can toss this under the blazer or wear with harem pants. This is what I call a handy top because you could wear to the office or on weekends.
- I have gone on and on about sequins tanks and they are everywhere: perhaps I will do rundown of where to find them in next week’s cheap but chic. In the mean time you want the grey marle sequin tanks here. $39.
- There is a fab black tailored jacket with short sleeves: a hot piece for summer. It has 3 buttons and will give you shape and tailoring where other summer tops may not. When it gets hot (and it will) you can wear this without dying. It will look great with a full skirt because the jacket is short. Otherwise try it with peg leg pants and a belt, $129.
- You want the black sleeveless waiter’s jacket. So right and another great piece for summer. Wear over a grey marle Tee and with harem pants. Toss over a pretty skirt or back with short shorts. Love it. $99.
- Please buy the black cotton blazer with stripe lining with big shoulder pads: it’s a shorter cut, $189. Roll those sleeves back to see the lining… Don’t think corporate when you see these jackets; think white jeans, think short shorts, think jeans. Think you got it?
- Check out the cutest and so cheap but chic black glomesh clutch bag, $39. Also there are other black fabric clutches for sale now $19. There is a black trilby too for $24.
- You should try on the black matte sequin blazer: it’s fabulous now $129. It’s the type of jacket that you could throw on with slouchy ripped jeans and t-shirt and climb into those Ann Demeulemeester heels and feel right on. Don’t think Kerri-Anne Kennerly when there are sequins. No think the Paris Runway and Christophe Decarnin.
- You want colour?? Then don’t go crazy but quietly grab the cobalt YSL blue silky tank, $99. Wear back with black or stone chinos. Then buy the square neck silky tee in other bright colours. It’s a loose square shape and has a high neckline. Thank the lord it’s not a scoop.
You will always find great buys here which is why it’s now in Economy Class. The next European winter collection is in store. You will always get great fabrics for great prices although sometimes there is a little too much pink… My picks are:
- The red satin shoestring dress with a drape ruffle front. It could be strapless as well as having little straps to tuck away. You want a dress to wear now and into summer. Toss a leather jacket over this and opaques for now. Also in black. Of course. $239.
- Buy the wool melton short black jacket with huge wide bell sleeves: it’s belted and has fabric black covered buttons and is pretty cool. Great for wearing now with high waist pants because it’s not as heavy as a coat. Toss a t-shirt under it and it will be tres French with jeans and stomp-a-licious heels. $339.
- Buy the black leather jacket, it’s a short, double breasted jacket as opposed to a zip biker jacket. It has black buttons and an elastic hem with some random detachable bow at the collar. Please explain. So don’t like bows except on 5 year olds. I have mentioned this jacket before and I tried it on and it’s pretty sharp, $600. (OK, sorry that is not an economy price. BUT it’s also in a cotton.)
- You want the black and white wide stripe long t-shirt silky dress; the stripes are on an angle, it has short sleeves and matte navy sequins on the black stripe, love it. $259.
- There is a very cute black and white or red and white stripe rib cotton tanks: a summer essential! $59.
- Love the short, stone double breasted trench jacket with ¾ sleeves, $269 and I see a dark denim double breasted trench too, $299 with white stitching. Both great buys.
- Love the black leggings with brass zips at the ankle $119. Hot! No fat allowed if you wear these. Time to put down that donut.
- You want the black and silver glitter check velvet top: it has shoestring straps and is chic de la chic, $169. Pants are back which means tops are too. You need them. Remember go for basic black pants and have fun on the top of the body. No one ever wants to draw attention to their legs…
It’s cheap but chic shoes! Ok so they may not be leather but, hey, that should mean Stella McCartney will be happy. Best buys are:
- The gladiators… there are so many everywhere and especially here, but why not? You can wear to the beach and the pool and who cares if they get wet? You want to have Faith; they are brown flat gladiators with studs, $69.
- Love the flat brown gladiators with gold studs up the T bar and a back zip to cope with the multi straps: simple and chic, $59.
- Adore the gladiators that are woven and knotted without any hardware or buckles; I have seen them somewhere else (maybe in Witchery or was it Sportsgirl), they are pretty cool. $39.
- Love the plain black patent flats with one ankle strap with a cross over front; these are not so gladiator-ish, $49.
- Buy the Matrix; the serious platform heels with a peeptoe, almost a shoe boot with high cut sides, $79.
- You want the simple round toe platform pumps in suede or just in plain black croc, $79.
- If you want colour go for the orange and brown heeled gladiators, $89.
- If you are on a budget then you will love the simple peep toe pumps with a thin heel in patent and lots of colours from black to silver and yes pink, $59.
Spring/summer is here and we love all the pretty creams and browns… but is it my imagination or are the skirts getting shorter? My feeling is Country Road will get younger when the new collection from Trennery is launched (that’s for the older market). My picks are:
- The black chiffon-ish drape dress with a cream grosgrain ribbon drawstring halter neck; it has an elastic waist (perfect for those fat days when you had that cake and croissants and…). It’s quite adorable. Don’t be scared if you think it will look too dressy. In summer it will work very casually during the day with flats. And you don’t even have to pay for overtime. $279. You could toss a blazer and or leather jacket over this and it would look cool. Look better with a tan.
- Love the new black crop harem pants. I think they are called pleat front crop pants in a silky fabric. It’s the season of the pant. If you didn’t know pants have been on the back burner in fashion land. Now they are back big time: I think it’s because they look so great with all those sharp shouldered jackets. $169.
- Buy the waiters jackets (but don’t steal the drinks). It’s a shorter kind of blazer with narrow lapels: there is a soft pink or grey but maybe you just need the black, $279. It’s easy dressing and you can see that it works so well with chinos or white jeans or with a dress. Yes please.
- Love all the sweat pants that are called fashion track pants, $89, in grey or black. They are the hot look when you wear with heels. Of course this look was in The FiFi Report waaaay back weeks ago but check it out here.
- Buy the black, button fly cargoes in a cotton with a rib knit trim around the ankle. These are to be worn with heels and if I see you wearing them with trainers I will keep walking straight past. Also in grey and navy, $129.
- Check out the cool grey silky pants with a black elastic waist band with side pockets and cropped. They are a bit harem style but NOT with the horrid drop crutch nappy MC hammer look. That might make you happy unless you wear nappies. Bless. $129.
- There is a great day dress in a navy silk with a black lace lattice insert: it has wide cap floppy sleeves. Looks great with a wide buckle leather belt. $279.
- How many times do I have to tell you? You want the navy and black one shoulder Lanvin dress, also in a top. So fabulous. But it doesn’t come in a size 14. Please explain.
- Love all the shoes: the navy and black suede T bar heels are gorgeous, $229 and so are the flesh coloured beige heels.
- I want the black leather belt with gunmetal studs all over it. A nice punk detail to add to all your classics for a little bit of groove, $99.
It’s very Prada and Marni inspired in here which is good news (though sometimes you need instructions on how to wear it because it’s about mixing up all the prints and patterns. As you can see from the photo). My picks are:
- The fabulous black, crushed cotton one shouldered dress, it’s cinched into the waist and is just the right length so that should make your knees happy. I think it’s also in purple. It’s so versatile; wear this to a serious dinner with stomp-a-licious heels. Or slip into flat gladiators and off you go looking like a Greek Goddess. $269.
- Check out the white cotton stretchy shirt with a serious pleating like a dinner shirt: Wear it with short shorts, peg leg pants and make sure it’s a little undone with the sleeves rolled up. Clean and sexy. Try it with ripped boyfriend jeans and an amazing statement necklace. Plus killer heels of course. You never know who is around the corner. $125.
- There is a chic black satin pleat front dress with a round neck with a zip back; it’s a bit long I think you should take it up. $349.
- If you need a cute top then try on the black and white stripe cotton sleeveless tank; it has very interesting details around the neckline — cute double layers of squares with raw edges like pleats, $199. I like the way you can wear this with florals and other prints.
- Love the black one shoulder top in a black crinkle/wrinkle fabric which obviously has not had any botox. I think the one shoulder actually has a hidden shoulder pad in it if I am not mistaken. It’s pretty fabulous and very handy to wear with all those new Jake the peg pants. Like the black cotton linen narrow pants also found here for $199.
- Love the Prada very crinkle stone/blush pink dress with a black grosgrain ribbon double halter drawstring neckline. $269. You can see it has a kind of bustier stitching. Cool.
- You want the purple crush bow purple top; great to lift and inject a bit of colour to all the basics in your wardrobe. It’s shown instore with a skirt but I think it’s more modern with skinny pants or short shorts. I know when you look at your legs you will be so, so excited about wearing short shorts. $179.
- Buy the knot tie with a V neck: it’s not a scoop; yippee about $59.
Paul & Joe
Still on sale and they are waiting for the new stock to come in for winter. But it’s worth having a look because they seem to get a few new pieces in quite often… Best buys are:
- The strapless (or does it have two small straps?) and very gorgeous cream caftan top/sack dress with painted flowers all over it, $695. It’s so summer. No wearing opaques with this: it’s a little too resort. There is also a cream linen caftan top with blue painted flowers now $499. (The print is very similar to these shots below though those dresses have left the building).
- Love the winter navy wool twill short coat: it’s a bit 50’s style with just two top buttons at the neckline and then sits out in a loose straight down cut. Meaning it’s not cut into the waist. Love it, now $299.
- Love the Paul & Joe Sista V neck, grey marle dress; it has appoint of difference in that it has a very cute blue and white print cotton belt that threads through the dress at the waist. How very French, $199 also in a top $149, What prices!
- There is a very summery and very Parisienne red and white stripe ticking shirt waister dress: it’s in cotton and has short sleeves and is fresh and lovely as the girls on Mad Men. $499.
- Love a trench, Oh I love a trench! An addiction that has no cure except shopping. I like the sound of that: How fabulous. You want the Paul & Joe Sista cotton trench: it’s double breasted, belted with epaulettes and it’s pretty chic. I think the length is ¾ to mid thigh which is fine for summer. It’s in navy or black now on sale $349. Mai oui.
- Off to St Tropez? I insist you check out the very glam, long strapless dress in a watermelon and white spot. It’s in chiffon and has its own fabric belt but you could toss on a black or tan leather belt and it will be chic de la chic. It has a ruffle hem and you would wear this to a few parties. Now $749 from $1400.
- Buy the gorgeous chiffon navy dress in a loose shape: it has a V neck with 3 lacing bows on the neckline. It has a belt and lovely big poets sleeves now on sale $499.
- You want the beautiful Cacheral cobalt YSL blue cotton single breasted blazer. Lovely! Now on sale $409.
Lemongrass and Lime Chicken Burgers… adulterated from Bill’s Holiday.
This is delicious as a burger but my tip is to use the chicken mix as a filling in wonton wrappers and serve as Asian ravioli with chilli sauce. Divine!
You need for 6 burgers. This will feed 12 fashionistas or 30 models:
600g minced chicken (or mince 3 chicken breasts in the whizzer)
1 onion, finely grated
1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
1 garlic clove
1 lemongrass stalk white part only, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
2 tsp finely grated lime zest
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp rice vinegar or mirin or white vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
1½ tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 long red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
½ tsp salt
Serve with Chilli Sauce and Bill’s fabulous Spicy Slaw from The FiFi Report 239.
- Slip out of harem pants into harem track pants.
- Climb out of outrageously high patent gladiators into patent birkenstocks.
- Listen to your toes yell thank you.
- Pour a huge glass of wine.
- Now chop up the lemongrass.
- Pull out the whizzer.
- Cut the onion in large chunks.
- Chop the lemongrass chopped into small bits.
- Zest the limes.
- Now toss into the whizzer: the garlic, the chicken mince, breadcrumbs, garlic, lemongrass and coriander.
- Whizz till all mixed but not as mushy as your stomach.
- Pour another wine.
- Now throw the chicken mix in a large bowl and throw in the lime zest, fish sauce and sugar.
- Mix together well with your hands but watch the manicure: You could ask George Clooney to do this as he loves to play with his hands.
- Now shape into six cute patties, then cover and toss in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes. Pity that idea doesn’t work on the thighs.
- For the dressing: mix together all the ingredients, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Ask George to heat the BBQ. Yes, George does have a BBQ. He should moisterise it with a bit of oil before he cooks but he knows that.
- Let him cook the burgers for about 6 minutes until cooked.
- Serve on chic soft, gooey white rolls with rocket, mint and coriander leaves and drizzle lots of chilli sauce.
- Perfect !