- “I thought, ‘oh my god do I really look like that everyday?’ I need less hair, less makeup, less everything. I can’t even watch it, it was way too much of everything.” A blind stylist?
- “Why didn’t anyone tell me I looked like that?” about what she looks like on TV. (Um, er, they tried.)
- “They say I’m starving people, I’m getting drugs for people. Seriously, I have to have a migraine to take a Tylenol.” Too many calories in those little pills.
- “Not one of my clients is a size zero. It’s not the norm.” Just you Rachel.
- “I thought I was going to be a psychiatrist. I was a sociology/psychology major in college. I changed mind at 22.”
- “You want to crawl up into a ball, you want to hide, you want to quit your job, you want to disappear. I’ve developed a bit of a thicker skin, but I’m not going to say it doesn’t hurt, because it does.” On the gossip about her. (She could disappear by turning on the side). Psychiatrist anyone?
- “Personally, I find myself recycling what’s in my closet. I’m saying, remember that jacket, I’m going to wear it again. It forces you to look at what you have, what you don’t need and shop wisely.” It’s tough when you have to make yourself remember your jacket.
- “I need to develop an edit button for the things that come flying out of my mouth.” And you were going to be psychiatrist?. I die.
- From BlackBook and from WWD.
Is it a bird?
Is it a plane?
No, they are shoulder pads flying this way.
Feathers are a big trend this season, so are shoulder pads.
Why not combine the two?
You want these little beauties because they are the cheap but chic way to reinvigorate your wardrobe.
You want these little beauties to attach to all your daggy old dresses and Tee’s.
Talk about an instant updater.
Wear them, love them, thrash them.
They don’t even need feeding.
$70 Feather Shoulder Pads from Cue.
What: Animal Print
Which: There is a lot of animal print this season so I feel obliged to let you know how to wear it. Please keep away from all that black, brown and leopard. It can be so tacky. So scary. So cheap. We cannot have FiFi Report subscribers looking like any of those three. You want to take inspiration from Lanvin… You want animal print in a chic blue and black… End of story.
Why: Because Alber Elbaz is a genius. Because this is the chic version of animal print. Because this is the way to wear the hot trend when you can’t afford serious designer quality. Because navy, blue and black always look so chic together.
Wear: You can wear cute little navy animal print tops with black peg leg pants. Wear a navy blue washed leopard print dress. Grab a navy animal print clutch bag… You don’t want to wear animal print skirts, trousers or jumpsuits. Unless you were born after 1995 or your name is Carine Roitfeld.
Where: Buy Lanvin at Arida or Luisa via Roma or check out the chains stores such as Cotton On and Target for a lot of cute pieces.
Those who think their face has dropped or drooped, (sorry to swear at you) please pay special attention.
Those who love a luxurious face mask look up and take notes.
Those who have had botox we want you!
You all need the new SK-II Skin Signature 3D redefining mask. Why? Because it’s very cleverly designed and has a two separate sheets to apply to your face. It seems the skin on your face is not the same all over. Which means the top sheet is applied to the tight Botox area and the other sheet is applied to the slack wobbly jaw bit. The bit that may also be plumped out with injections. (Yes, I am onto you!) Apply and relax. Your skin will glow! You will have a radiant, young, gorgeous, ultra moisterised face! They say it contains “anti-ageing ingredients niacinamide and n-acetyl glucosamine”. And if you can pronounce that you will exercise your jaw: that alone must make you look younger.
$180 SK-II Skin Signature 3D Refining Mask from Myer, David Jones and Beauty Heaven.
- Is Lady Gaga taking over the world ? Now on the latest issue of V magazine.
- Lara Stone is on the cover of French Vogue September issue
- Kate Moss is on another cover! …V magazine! As is Linda Evangelista.
- Everyone is talking about Fashion’s Night Out. In a global initiative to promote retail, restore consumer confidence, and celebrate fashion, U.S. and international editions of Vogue are coordinating evening extravaganzas in their respective world fashion capitals.
- If you speak French you will love these interviews with Carine Roitfled and Emmanuelle Alt on the French Vogue site talking about the night.
- Check out the home of Aussie now New Yorker Julie Anne Quay in US Elle Deco: She is now working on producing the movie of Lee Tulloch’s book Fabulous Nobodies: a fashion satire set in the 80’s.
- The second edition of LOVE comes out next week and features Coco Sumner, burgeoning it-girl and daughter of Sting.
- Sass and Bide will be showing at London fashion week in September.
- Katie Holmes is ready to unveil Holmes & Yang, the collection she’s been designing with her stylist, Jeanne Yang. Says WWD.
- American Glamour sits down with Rachel Zoe: Bananas!
- Check out the Vicky B model looking like Vicky B In V magazine!
- Anna Wintour doesn’t need any coaching from Condé Nast publicists on how to handle David Letterman, a Condé Nast flack tells Page Six. The Vogue editrix, slated for the CBS show on Monday, “is going to ad-lib it,” a spokesman said. “She’s done plenty of live TV before.” No? Really?
- Everyone’s talking about Tavi. The thirteen-year-old StyleRookie (or not) covers Dasha Zhukova’s first POP.
- We love Christy Turlington! She call her husband Eddie.
- Donatella Versace chats with Christopher Kane about fashion and being a Diva.
- More about Annie Leibovitz and the $24 million question.
- Anna Wintour and cover girl Sienna Miller braved the crowds together at premiere of The September Issue, the sensational doco about US Vogue (I saw it at the Film Festival and it was fabulous) see the photos here.
- Vulgar kimonos, crusty evening gowns, and accents make up only a small fraction of reasons to watch Miss Universe pageant. How will US Vogue’s André Leon Talley cope judging the pageant? New York Magazine.
- Robin Wright Penn files for divorce… again! Us Magazine
- Sienna has a new boyfriend. That was quick Just Jared.
- Michael Jackson will be buried on his 51st birthday, stinky! Us Magazine
- “Amber Rose and Kanye West are apparently back together because the two were spotted in Miami yesterday where Amber walked around topless and essentially made Kim Kardashian look like Assless Annie of No Ass Junction.” Says The Superficial.
- Ricky Martin takes his “Let’s Face It, I’m Gay” twins to the beach. Says The Superficial.
- Celine Dion is pregnant with an eight-year-old embryo. Says People.
- Madonna verse the aging! She wears clothes to swim in and carries an umbrella! Mail Online
- Madonna kissed Jesus! Just Jared
- Hillary Clinton to star in Hollywood movie: “The Adventures of the Invisible Woman”. The Daily Squib
- Michael Jackson’s personal physician will be charged with manslaughter.” Of course, the saddest part of this story is that shortly before his death, Michael had just discovered a way to revert to his former black self and was primed to record Thriller 2.” Says The Superficial.
- Brad Pitt jokes to Bill Maher he was once “an artist” at rolling joints, but now “wants to be alert” for his brood of six. Sleep deprived!! See the video at Us Magazine.
- “Penelope Cruz is pregnant with Javier Bardem’s baby, who is sure to emerge from her womb in a fiery blaze and immediately seduce the midwife with flawless flamenco guitar.” Vanity Fair
- Pop magazine’s Dasha Zhukova is pregnant. Mail Online
- Lady Gaga is shocking! She toned down her look. Then wears Vampire teeth. New York Daily News
Cooking Dirty: A Story of Life, Sex, Love and Death in the Kitchen… by Jason Sheehan
“The best of [the new chef memoirs] by a mile… by a former chef of no particular distinction named Jason Sheehan, now an extraordinarily good food writer… Cooking Dirty is his account of a career spent largely at what he calls ‘the low end of the culinary world’: late-night shifts at diners, bars and neighborhood joints. Some of it is pure drudgery — like prepping a ‘literal ton of corned-beef briskets’ at an Irish pub the week before St. Patrick’s Day — but when the orders start pouring in, the pace and chaos and heat in even a low-end kitchen somehow fuse into a kind of mass lunatic joy. ‘I am God of the box,’ he writes, ‘the brain-damaged Lord Commander of a kingdom of fifty feet by five and made entirely of stainless steel, industrial tile, knives, sweat and fire.’” —Time
US$17 Amazon. Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux; 1 edition (June 23, 2009)
The Christmas List: The World in Vogue: People, Parties, Places… by Hamish Bowles & Alexandra Kotur
Not available until November but you need to know about this book: it’s definitely for the Christmas list!
This one-of-a-kind book of 300 photographs of some of the most celebrated actors, artists, models, First Ladies, and social figures draws on stories that have appeared in the pages of Vogue over the past four decades, as well as photographs from those stories that have never been published.
Here are the glamorous weddings of Plum Sykes in Yorkshire, Lauren Davis in Cartagena, and Minnie Cushing in Newport; Truman Capote writing about cruising the Yugoslavian coast with Lee Radziwill, gardens from East Hampton to Corfu designed by landscape architect Miranda Brooks; Inès de La Fressange’s apartment in Paris; Gloria Steinem reporting on the 540 masked partygoers at the Black and White Ball Truman Capote threw for Katharine Graham at the Plaza hotel; the gardens of Valentino’s seventeenth-century Château de Wideville, outside Paris; the designers, the best-dressed, and the stars at the annual Costume Institute party at the Metropolitan Museum; and then there’s Mick Jagger and his family in Mustique;
Richly illustrated in black-and-white and color, The World in Vogue: People, Parties, Places is a stunning look at portraits, houses, gardens, and parties of celebrated figures from many worlds.
US$47 Amazon. Publisher: Knopf (November 17, 2009)
Great for jeans here and great weekend basics. Best buys are:
- The lovely black chiffon one shoulder drape top with elastic hem. It’s in a wrinkle chiffon and is so pretty, Looks more expensive than the outrageous $59. The one shoulder dress and top were lurking last season and now has hit the front row. This is a great top to throw on with all your casual pants from jeans to chinos to harem pants. It’s a nice casual shape and is not tight at all. In fact I think it would cover up all sorts of croissants and cakes.
- Checkout the chestnut brown chiffon top as well. It is slightly different to the black one in that it has one shoulder covered in pretty fabric ruffle flowers, very chic in a chiffon too. $59.
- Love the jeans in the Japanese vintage denim if you are not a jeans label snob then check out the slim boot cut jeans. $99.
- I see another dark denim shirt dress $69: it has with waisted with rolled up/button up sleeves. You can go two ways with a shirt dress. Add a monster buckle belt to cinch in the waist and climb into killer gladiator heels or for a more casual look try simple jewel flats and a stripe Bally belt sitting a little lower.
- If you are short you should buy the black jeans: the Slim Capri. If you are tall these are great cropped skinny every day jeans $69.
- You should check out the navy and white print top that is a bit hippy but sweet and easy to wear. Navy and white is so much chicer than all those bright colours unless you are wearing Marni. $59.
I see a new collection of swimwear and lots of Maxi dresses. Lucky the weather is getting warmer. Always find cheap but chic shoes here too. My picks are:
- The Hot Options multi print tiered maxi dress $59. It’s in swirling cream/red/blue/purple paisley print with a v neck and shoe string straps. It is wide and loose with tiers and ruffles. I think this is ageless but you must not wear Max dresses wandering the streets shopping. Please keep these to beach, pool and BBQ’s. Wear with flats, or if you must try a wedge a la Rachel ” I die go bananas” Zoe.
- Also check the Maxi dress in a cotton with a halter neck with silver studs along the neckline $59 in a 60’s Marrimekko style leaf print in pinks and greens (actually it’s multi coloured). Not so sure of the studs along the neckline but you can always unpick them. Love this for the beach: toss over wet bikini… and then have a gin and tonic… Bring on the hot weather!
- Check out the black cotton tailored Blazer: it has black and white spot lining so you can roll back the sleeves. You know the blazer is the hot piece of the season but maybe you can add some shoulder pads to this. $59.
- There is another cute cotton maxi dress: it has a black background, halter neck and is long and loose. There are matching bikinis… not sure who would wear a look of matchy match but it’s a chic dress. In the Swimwear department if you are looking… $39.
- Love the black crochet lace caftan that comes to about mid thigh just covering bottom: it is see through lace crochet but so cool to toss over bathers! Love it. Does not look like Target. Bless. $39.
- There is a chic, dark denim shirt dress with brass stud buttons and a belt, $49. Oh but you can replace the belt and add something wide and fabulous… this is a great every day dress especially thrown back with some gladiator heels.
- Speaking about shoes, how about the Jimmy Choo inspired black zip front fake snakeskin heels? Well they are not bad at all for an outrageous $34. The heel is half the size of Jimmy Choo (What would Tamara say?)
- Check out the animal leopard print outrageous heels with a black platform $49. Pretty over the top but definitely don’t look like they are Target. Wear them once and they are worth it.
- Also there are gladiators galore from about $39 in black, brown, bronze and silver. Love the black patent …perfect to wear to the beach: who cares if they get wrecked.
Love the new store in WBJ, it’s big and shiny and full of the best accessories and so many clothes… Best buys are:
- The sleeveless black jersey loose top that has a round neckline with wide black guipure lattice lace along the edge. This is a great top to toss on with jeans and it’s a loose shape so not too clinging over the muffin areas. $99.
- Buy the snazzy glam matte gold lurex top: it has a scoop (but it’s a deep scoop with cut in neckline so it’s Ok). It has ruffles along the edge of the sleeves at the shoulder $149. Wear with crop stone, cuffed, cotton chinos $89 and monster heels to tone down the glitz.
- You want the black satin racer back Tee dress: or is it a top or a mini dress? Ohh la la it is short if it’s a dress. It has sheer black chiffon trim around the edges so it’s got some interesting detail. Love this back with your peg leg pants… it’s loose and soft so not satin and glitzy either, $129.
- Check out the chic and pretty soft flesh pink chiffon top: Again it’s a loose shape, sleeveless with a chic high round neckline and then it has 4 tiers of ruffles sitting horizontally across it. Another fabulous day to evening top to wear with jeans, chinos, harems or just take to work and bare arms. Michelle Obama does. $129.
- For the beach and holidays you must try the long dark navy and blues tie dye maxi dress with a satin blue shoe string bodice. $199.
- There is a very groovy grey silk jumpsuit $169: it seems to have a low crutch and a drawstring. Try it and see if you feel chic or want to jump out of a plane. Ooopsies.
- I am seeing a lot of dark denim shirt dresses: they were around last season and now a wardrobe basic. Check out the one here with a belt, $149.
- In the accessories you want the patent jewel ballet flats $169, the brown leather flat and jewelled sandals $149 and the amazing faux brown python platforms $299. And, it’s true I see an exact copy of the black Givenchy gladiator heels $189.
- The big jewelled necklace in black and blue stone is pretty fab $89.
Scanlan & Theodore
More of the divine new summer collection is in store. (More to come next week and they tell me there will be more brights and prints.) This collection is in gorgeous greys and blues and I Iove it. My picks are:
- The gorgeous blue silky cowl/drape one shoulder dress: it’s in a silky fabric and in graded ombre shades of blues. Almost Grecian, loose and draping. You need some knock heels and a sharp shoulder blazer to toss over the top. Think it is in a few colours. $750.
- Love the blue print one shoulder dress in a blue and cream print: again it’s loose and lovely and you can just toss on and you are out the door. $550.
- You want the simple drape racer back teal top that is gorgeous. $600.
- Adore the black silk jersey sleeveless top that has one normal shoulder strap and one shoulder that twists and drapes. Love this. I had a black top so very similar and wore it til it fell apart. It’s a go anywhere top and the cut will give your arms a great flattering shape. $400. (I think!) Also in light grey silk.
- You want the dark blue satin sporty jacket with rib knit details along the hem and zip and press studs: it’s short, neat and casual and because it’s cropped it will work with high waist pants and skirts. Otherwise you could have a situation along the middle. We don’t need any situations especially if they fall over the waist band. Ewww. $280.
- Love, love, love the grey pleat front crop peg leg pants; a must have for the season. Go on try the front pleat pants: you will get used to them and they can be tres flattering. They cover up hip situations: also you should know the pleat front 80’s pant has just arrived and so will be around for a while. Sorry. $380.
- Adore the very tailored and short double breasted military-ish blazers with a puff shoulder in greys, blue or black. You know how to wear these jackets: Sure you do. Over dresses and with the aforementioned Jake the peg leg pants. Those who have the legs should try a blazer with short shorts. Please no knee length shorts. No,No.No. You will look like little Lord Fauntleroy. $650.
- Check out the divine dresses: there are too many to mention: but I do love the high round high neck sleeveless dresses in grey or black. $500.
- Also check out the Poncho in a chiffon foil print in cobalt blues and spots: it has a tie at the front and is perfect for the trip to the Greek Islands. $900.
- I see that colour watermelon and I kept on walking…
CK Calvin Klein
Love this store: such a relief to see all the clean, modern, chic understated looks after all that horrible messy hippy BoHo NoNo looks that seems to be everywhere. The new summer collection is instore and there is a lot of black and grey with dashes of cobalt and green. More colour coming in next week. Also there is rack still on sale! My picks are:
- The gorgeous black sequin tank top: not too glitzy and the sequins are understated. You know it’s about wearing evening fabrics like sequins in the day back with jeans and casual pants. Not so keen on a sequin top during the day with a skirt. Seems to dress it up too much. You want to try sequins with shorts and blazer: we love the look of French Fashion Editor Geraldine Salgo at Jak and Jil. $279.
- You will die over the divine softest lambskin grey leather bomber jacket. You want to stroke it and touch it it’s so gorgeous. It’s short with a zip front and tiny invisible zips on the sleeves with a round neckline and buttons up the front. You will buy this and live in it summer, autumn, winter, spring. Dare I say 24/7? $1400.
- You will drool over the amazing the soft pale grey (almost white) punched leather bomber jacket with a zip front and a rib knit trim along the hem and wrists. It’s quite the most gorgeous thing. The casual sporty shape with the punched holes is so cool in a luxurious leather. $1600.
- Everyone needs the very 80’s rib knit cummerbund that you wear like a wide belt: this is a great muffin top disguiser. It comes in black or grey I think. You want to wear this to cinch in the waist. Love it. $189.
- Please buy the racer back tops in silk for about $99 in fabulous fabrics and the sheerest light grey V neck Tee in the finest fine knit. $239.
- There are so many dresses you must just get in here and try them on: simple sheaths to divine drape dresses from about $300.
- There is light grey or white chic silk cross over drape top. It’s sleeveless and the perfect white shirt that isn’t a classic white shirt. Easy to wear under a blazer. $349.
- In accessories check the flats, the heels, the silver rings and the black patent big open top stand up tote $300ish.
Always great designer bags here.
- I love and adore the Givenchy bags. You want the black snakeskin stand up two handle tote. It’s an easy day wear bag with gunmetal zips, $2160.
- Love and want the divine Givenchy black snakeskin clutch with a gunmetal chain strap, $1700. This is hot.
- Buy the Givenchy caramel beige leather small 2 handle tote with gold buckles and hardware, $1800.
- You want the Givenchy big, caramel (or black) over sized two handle shopping tote with an open top. It’s gorgeous for you: it has a gold chain, $1900.
- You want the very recognisable Givenchy textured leather tote in black: it’s the small version like a bowling bag, $2100 with silver hardware.
- Love the Donna Karan bronze leather drawstring bag with one strap and a hidden flap over zip, $2499.
- You want the Donna Karen triple zip teal leather bag. It’s like a messenger bag with one wide strap and then with 3 gold pouches. Also in black, $2399.
- Buy the Donna Karan fabulous simple and oh so understated black leather clutch. It’s plain, plain and we love that. It has with a hidden top zip and in divine soft leather. It’s like an envelope, $999. Also in a white gold lurex style leather.
- Love the Donna Karan oversized black clutch with a ring clip brass buckle and a chain strap, $1500.
- Also check out the Emporio Armani black clutch with gold hardware: how fabulous for $799.
- And there is a Emporio Armani black leather two handle tote that is very similar to a Birkin bag: is that legal? $999.
- Buy the Emporio Armani black pleated, slouchy bag with gold hardware and 2 straps, $1800.
- NB: All bags may have left the building by the time The FiFi Report is out!
Got to love what Brian Atwood is doing here at Bally grooving up this brand. Always gorgeous bags and shoes here. My picks:
- The chic lace up, round toe 20’s style shoes, not so much a shoe boot, they are more refined and chicer, $895, in tan or an amazing grey khaki. Not a platform or a wedge.
- Love the divine and so simple round toe, classic pumps: so chic in khaki brown tan or black suede with a cone heel, $650. Gorgeous. A chic change from all the outrageous stomp-a-licious heels around.
- You want the classic evening shoes with black jewel brooch on the toe: so pretty in black satin and a peeptoe. Yes please. $1065.
- Love the black leather round toe ankle boots; the heel is not too high. You could walk in these. $925.
- Love the really simple black leather ruched clutch with a subtle gold hardware $1500, no obvious hardware. Stealth wealth.
- Buy the divine big, slouch, caramel suede bag with 2 handles and the Bally gold logo… It’s an easy day bag, $1700.
- Buy the belts with buckles that are a gold coat of arms and a little bit Wonder Woman… about $500.
- You want the one handle black leather, ruched slouchy tote with serious gold trim and hardware and quite fabulous. It has two short handles for easy carrying, $2795.
- There is a lambskin black simple slouch croissant shape bag that is about $1500 which has no visible hardware and is very chic. Gorgeous.
Tagliatelle with Mushrooms… adulterated from Gourmet Traveller
Delicious, divine and the last time you can eat creamy pasta and mascarpone until next winter…
You will need for 4 gourmandes, 8 dieters, 25 models:
50g dried porcini mushrooms
50g mixed dried mushrooms
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 golden shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
100g shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup thyme leaves
1 cup chicken stock
400g dried tagliatelle
1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped, to serve
finely grated parmesan
- Slip into Chanel pyjamas.
- Tie hair back and close the curtains to prying paparazzi.
- Pour a big glass of wine.
- While you are soaking in wine you can soak the dried mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes. They look nice and squidgy. As your thighs will after eating this.
- Chop up the shiitake mushrooms into chic pieces.
- Chop up the golden pretty shallots into pieces as small as Britney’s brain.
- Chop up the garlic into pieces the size of your bank account. Small.
- Roughly chop the parsley. It loves a rough chop.
- After about 20 minutes and 3 glasses of wine it’s best to drain the mushies and keep 1 cup of liquid.
- Then ask George Clooney to strain the reserved liquid through a fine sieve.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and toss in the shallots and garlic for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add the mushy soaked mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms and the divine thyme.
- Then sauté it all for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are golden as the lovely Donatella. Over done and it’s Lindsay Lohan.
- Now pour in the stock and reserved liquid and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is almost reduced. If only it was as easy to get rid of your muffin top so easily.
- Add lots of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Now ask George to cook pasta until al dente. The pasta not George.
- Drain then return to pan. The pasta not George.
- Add mushrooms mix, then plop in the mascarpone
- Accessorise with chic Prada green parsley and toss to combine.
- Serve toot sweet with heaps parmesan.
- Enjoy your last pasta dish till Bikini time is over.