- “I have always been a trend setter: I was the first to get Bulimia in Austria back in ‘87 (and that was 3 years before Diana).” Brüno
- “I never worry about fat people worrying about skinny people.” Eileen Ford from Ford Models
- “If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.” Michael Jackson …by surgery.
- “Ze President of Iran, Ahmadinejad. I love his look — ‘taxi driver chic’ — but he would look even cuter if he broke it up vit some splashes of colour und simple accessories. Brüno’s got a crush on him. He’s SO cute — he’s like ze Arab George Clooney!” Brüno
- “You cannot poke fun at the fashion world. It is a stereotype that we are only concerned about appearance and drugs and that is not true. We are also concerned about parties.” Brüno
- “I wake up from dreams and go ‘Wow, put this down on paper.’ The whole thing is strange. You hear the words, everything is right there in front of your face.” Michael Jackson …behind your oxygen mask.
- “I’m still trying to hold on to the glimmer that it is not true. It is too surreal for me to absorb that Michael is no longer with us.” Uri Geller (close friend and psychic) So Psychic he did not predict his death.
- “Yeah, Wacko Jacko, where did that come from?.” Michael Jackson. Probably from Brüno.
- “Just because it’s in print doesn’t mean it’s the gospel.” Michael Jackson …Bless. He finally got something right.
There are sales everywhere but why not invest in fabulous designer quality pieces for summer that are already on sale in America and Europe? Lanvin, Balenciaga, Balmain, Burberry Prorsum and YSL. Need I say more.
These are my favourites designer fashion sites on sale. The best news? They all ship to Australia ….Yippeee.
The hot piece of the season? This Christopher Kane outrageous Chimp-print T-shirt. Wear it with the oil-slick leggings and hard-edged heels as they have done here at Net-a-Porter (with Les Chiffoniers leggings, McQ blazer and Balmain boots.) Love it with a pretty skirt (at Jak & Jil). Or wear it as a cool dress like Rihanna or sexy Julia Restoin-Roitfeld.
I am woman hear me roar.
£182.60 Christopher Kane Chimp-print T-shirt from Net-a-Porter.
My favourite OxyMorons:
- Non-alcoholic wine.
- Airline food.
- Genuine imitation.
- Pretty ugly.
- Unbiased opinion.
- Family vacation.
- Easy payments.
- My favourite matte gloss…
You can slather it on your lips or your cheeks. Jane Birken always said you will look a little more chic if your cheeks are the same colour as your lips. Anything Jane says goes. The beauty of this oxymoron matte gloss is that it goes on smooth as a gloss but then looks matte on the lips. For Foxy Morons everywhere.
$34 Lipstick Queen Oxymoron Matte Gloss from Kit Cosmetics.
- Louis Vuitton’s Fall 2009 campaign with Madonna has been leaked …The retoucher might deserve more recognition than the photographer. Have a look at their work here.
- OH Rachel Zoe please stop copying me.
- Bally stays with Christy Turlington for Fall 2009 Ad Campaign. See it here.
- Heath Ledger is on the cover of Vanity Fair read about it here.
- The Missonis have pioneered technical development of their knitwear product over the past 50 years and now Ottavio and Rosita Missoni are being celebrated in a new London-based exhibition; Workshop Missoni: Daring to be Different. Read it in UK Vogue.
- The Wellie Brigade… check out the best looks from Glastonbury.
- Fashion Spotlight: Hermes… The fashion critic Suzy Menke interviews Veronique Nichanian, one of few women in the fashion industry who design clothes for men. Watch it here.
- We love stylist Tabitha Simmons: now she is a shoe designer. Read about her here.
- Brüno is on the cover of Attitude magazine. See him here.
- Beyoncé’s launching a Sasha Fierce Clothing Line. Check it out here.
- Juergen Teller: Fashion’s provocative photographer reveals all. He got Charlotte Rampling to cuddle up, Victoria Beckham to climb into a carrier bag and Kate Moss to play guitar. How does he do it? Susannah Frankel meets Juergen Teller, the snapper the stars trust. Read the interview here.
- See another trailer of The September Issue. If you missed it at The Film Festival…
(It was fabulous). It’s coming to Australia in September.
- Karl Lagerfeld asked Model Sasha Pivovarova to illustrate on a book based on Russian fairy tales in February and now she has worked on the Chanel Paris-Moscou fashion show in Moscow: “My drawings were inspired by the joy of seeing fairytale characters coming to life in one of the main theatres of Moscow, the city where I was born.”
- Check out Lilly Allen on a shot for Chanel.
- Check Michael Jackson’s style.
- Check out the Vionnet Cruise 2010 collection; “I looked at magazines, books, newspaper clips and anything I could find,” said the newly minted creative director Rodolfo Paglialunga (who spent 13 years as an assistant to Miuccia Prada.) His first spring collection will be unveiled in Paris during fashion week.
- Donatella Versace is a guest blogger for The Moment.
- Christy Turlington is Yves Saint Laurent’s Fall 2009 Campaign Supermodel. See it here.
- Gwen Stefani is on the cover of US Elle.
- Love the new fall/winter Chloe ad campaign. See it here.
1stdibs.com, the antiques-and-vintage-jewelry site, is now adding vintage clothing. Woo Hoo! This sexy new section of the site will have a highly curated selection from Vintage stores such as Resurrection. Which dress do I want? This fabulous Iconic Pierre Cardin Wool Dress with amazing Metal Detail. You can also drool over and have Ist Dibs on Mugler, Montana, Chanel and the most incredible Hermes Birken bags in crocodile. Oh lala.
- “Oh no, the rope’s back and so is Victoria’s bigger bust for the Beckhams’ latest dodgy Armani advert” Mail Online
- “Michael Jackson tried to adopt ‘Octomum’s’ Nadya Suleman’s eight babies as playmates for son Blanket just weeks before he died” The Mirror UK
- “Angelina Jolie is very unhappy that her younger and hotter doppelganger, Megan Fox, is grabbing all the headlines these days Jennifer Aniston has been sending Brad Pitt ‘motivational texts.’” Vanity Fair
- “The first semi-believable crazy Michael Jackson rumor: That he intentionally took a bunch of pills to trigger a hospital visit that would enable him to back out of his concert commitments” Vanity Fair
- Ministers from the Third Church of Adventist Jehovah’s Baptists Tri-Catholic Presbyterians in LA have told of their joy after the church’s leader saw Michael Jackson in a vision.”I saw Michael, he was in heaven all dressed in sparkling white. There was a big smile on his face because he knew he was free at last. He was surrounded by little boy angels and they all had bottles of …Jesus Juice!” The Daily Squib
- Why HAS Rachel Hunter’s millionaire toyboy dumped her at the altar? Mail Online
- “Here are photos of Carla Bruni modeling lacy granny panties for a catalog shot in 1989.” The Mirror UK
- Prince Harry’s been hanging out Natalie Imbruglia. Hello Magazine
- “It was no shocker to learn that Prince Michael and Paris were not fathered by Michael Jackson. But today, when we heard the reports that the father might be none other than Los Angeles derm Arnold Klein — the man who until now was best known as the don of Botox — well, at least here in the beauty department, the world suddenly got much smaller.”
- Supermodel Karen Mulder is arrested for threatening to attack plastic surgeon.
- That Bradley Cooper certainly gets around. Last weekend he was in Paris, where he fended off rumors about a possible relationship with Jennifer Aniston. Then he was was seen with Renée Zellweger, 40, at the Italian restaurant “She didn’t really eat much, but he ate,” someone in the restaurant told People. What Renee didn’t eat much? How so? People
- Looks like Mariah Carey has gotten her revenge against Eminem. Carey dressed up in drag as the rapper while filming her new music video “Obsessed” in New York City. Us Magazine
- Farrah Fawcett is laid to Rest. Us Magazine
A Castle in Tuscany: The Remarkable Life of Janet Ross… by Sarah Benjamin
“A Castle in Tuscany: The Remarkable Life of Janet Ross tells the story of the extraordinary Janet Ross. To lovers of classic food books, Janet’s name is recognisable, as the eminent Elizabeth David cited her as a source and her work changed the way the English thought about vegetables. Few people though know much about the life she lived. In this fascinating biography, author Sarah Benjamin details Janet’s passion for nature and food and uncovers a life full of talent, generosity, ideas, family secrets and intrigue.”
A fabulous biography if you love history and food.
$25.00 Murdoch Books. Published October 2006.
The Christmas List: Marc Jacobs Advertising 1998-2009… by Marc Jacobs and Juergen Teller
“For over a decade Juergen Teller has worked with Marc Jacobs on the advertising campaigns for each of the Men’s and Woman’s Marc Jacobs collections, Marc by Marc Accessories and perfumes lines. Teller’s idiosyncratic visual style and use of unusual models has been instrumental in establishing what has become one of the pre-eminent fashion brands of our times. Reflecting the intelligence and individuality of the Marc Jacobs’ brand, the models have included Sofia Coppola, Charlotte Rampling, Meg White, Samantha Morton, Winona Ryder, Victoria Beckham and Juergen Teller himself among others…
This book brings together a selection of images from all the campaigns into a collection that marks how significant this collaboration has been in both fashion and visual culture.” Fabulous and stylish.
US$120.00 Steidl. Publication date: July 2009.
I see animal print, I see scary lace and I see a whole lot of T-shirts… In amongst the I love Miley and I love Nicole and I Heart Micheal Tee shirts are:
- The track pants in what they call the Sporte range: These are the ones with an elastic ankle. These are cool if you wear with heels. No, not with thongs thank you. Unless you are still in school uniform. They are in chic grey marle, or else they are in orange and pink and, gulp, green $35. Lady Gaga.
- Love the black and white stripe baggy oversized kind of eighties Tee with rolled up sleeves. It is not in amazing thick fabric but not bad for $24. Stripes are a big story for next summer and let’s face it they always look chic and very French.
- Check out the silver and gold leggings. Scary. Then walk away. You can look at them in a purely sociological way. As an anthropologist would in the wilds of Africa. How fascinating people can get into bright gold shiny leggings. Michael Jackson eat your heart out.
- I also see very cool, and very eighties flash dance windcheaters in grey marle $36. These are to be worn with something sophisticated and chic. Mix it up and put sporty back with chic. Love the windcheater with the silver peace sign across the front too. They call it a Peace Sign printed Raglan sleeve sweater with wide neckline. $35
- Also you will be interested to see the ripped black leggings $29. What would Rodarte say?
- And what about the black strapless jumpsuit for $35? Why not I say. Throw on with a YSL belt and heels and wear after dark where no one can see the fabric.
- There are skinny faded acid wash jeans for $35. So small they would fit a Barbie doll. Bless.
They seem to be having a rejuvenation here and there are some good pieces coming through. It’s worth having a look. There is a bit of an animal print story but I am a little scared of that… (just because Lanvin showed it doesn’t mean it translates). I suggest you buy:
- The black leather zip front biker jacket: Don’t be sad just because you are a dag and haven’t bought one yet. There is still time and you can wear it at least for another season. This one has subtle silver front zip and the leather is not too bad for $299. It has 2 side pockets with silver zips too. The only problem is that it looks like the cut is shaped with a boob area. If you know what I mean. Which can be a problem when you wear it undone and suddenly it makes you look like there are 2 empty spaces. 2 empty cups.
- Love the harem or peg leg pants here, in black of course. God help you if you want wear another colour like pink. Lady Gaga. I will be gaga if you wear it. Any cheap pink is horrid. Lanvin pink is quite the look. The harem pants here seem to be cut well so run in and get a pair. The crop pants for summer are hot de la hot. $119
- There is a cute grey silver sequin tank here which I have often spoken about. You must have it! It’s not too glitzy so no need for sunglasses when you wear it. As you are well aware the sequin tank is also another hot piece coming in for next season. The perfect whizz of a way to shooosh up all the daggy stuff in your wardrobe. $59
- I like the black one shoulder jersey slinky dress. OK, we know the one shoulder has almost reached the tipping point which is why you should only pay $119 for it. This one is a great shape. It is waisted and then flirts out to a full skirt so it should cover the fatty Arbuckle hip situation. Wear a blazer over it and fabulous heels. But you knew that.
- In the accessories you want the fab little animal print silver clutch bag. I know sounds tacky but Oh! No, this is cute $29. Also check out the fabulous long necklaces here and the cuffs…
- Love the white with navy stripe V neck Tee. It’s in a very fine cotton fabric: could it be see through? Maybe but it will look chic if you just pop a little white or flesh tank under it. Then you can skip away not worried about showing too much. Anyway what more do you want for $19?
- You want the black leather zip hoodie. It is cool and has just the silver zip. There are no other zips on the pockets. This means it’s not glitzy. The hood has a drawstring and it’s rather chic. Wear with something sexy with it like a pencil skirt or over a flirty skirt. Of course it works with harem pants. $199
- Buy the baggy ripped faded boyfriend jeans $59. They are seriously light faded blue denim and have all sorts of rips. The rip jean look is everywhere but I think you need to be confident enough able to carry it off. You need to wear sky scraper heels or else.
- Also check out the fringed cotton “pashmina” with a fringe in navy, cream, black or a nice grey $19. These are just handy basics. Not a huge fashion trend now more a classic and they won’t keep you warm. But they will add a little je ne sais pas to your weekend look.
- Of course I can’t help but mention the black or grey silver sequin tanks when I head in here because they are pretty cool. Don’t forget you must layer it over a white tank or make sure you de glitz the sequins with something casual so the look is dressed down. Just not out. $34
- Also there are a few fine cotton long cardigans here which are in chic colours like oatmeal and grey. Again they will not keep you warm so much as add another layer. $30
You will always find something here whether it’s for winter or going on your mid winter tropical break to Mykonos. Best buys are:
- The high waist flat front wide leg flares with orange stitching are cool $129. Everyone needs jeans and these are great with heels. They lengthen the leg. Very 70’s. You have to try on a lot of jeans to find the right one. Like finding a husband. (Then you wear them for a season and they are very old fashioned.)
- The black single breasted boyfriend jacket is great, love it. I mentioned it last week so sorry to those who have already bought it. I do beg you rpadon for repeating myself. Love the stripe lining. You should always wear it with the sleeves rolled up. Even on a cold day.
- There are a lot of tops here in all variations. I am guessing it’s very directed to office dressing. Well everyone needs lots of interesting tops to go with their office trousers. Not just tops to wear with jeans. I like the stone silky sleeveless top with a multi pleat front on diagonals going down the front. Throw this under a blazer with boyfriend jeans. $149
- There are a couple of great dresses that I know will look great on any figure especially the silky tie back dress with poets sleeves and overstitching with a round neckline and covered buttons. This is a bit hippy but great for casual days when you can’t rock the tight Roland Mouret. You want to wear this with boots. But no flowers in you’re your hair. $249
- Also in the top department I love the royal blue blouse in cotton twill with a ruffle down the front and poets sleeves. Also in white which is quite the chicest thing. And you know what they say: Wear white next to your face and take 10 years off. Cheaper than botox. $149
- Please buy the grey overstitched trench coat. You need another one. Go On. I bet you haven’t got one in that colour.
- Check out the track pants and sporty spice section: there are some great pieces like black marle cotton jersey button through tab detail sweater dress with an elastic dress and a grandpa shape $99. It is short. It is for people who are obviously so sporty and so have leg to show off.
- You want the paper bag waist crop trousers in a elegant beige/cigar colour. $149. They have a self belt and are crinkling and wrinkling. They need botox.
- In accessories love the Lanvin style elastic side plain ballet flats $129 and the black classic round toe pumps $199.
On sale. Love this store. The design is great and the prices are fabulous for the quality. I highly recommend European designer diffusion labels such as Armani Exchange, Max & Co or DKNY. They can afford to use better fabrics because they have a huge market. Plus they work in the season ahead so you are getting summer looks now instore. My picks are:
- The fabulous grey tweed wool double breasted peacoat. It has a belt, an inverted pleat back and so chic I love it. There are press studs instead of buttons but I think they are covered. For you now $299.
- Buy the black quilted puffa jacket: It has a drawstring waist and is in a very light fabric, and shorter length so you can be warm but not weighed down. The donuts can do that. $269
- Love, love, love the black short sleeve knit which is like a knit tee BUT - and this is the good bit - it has cute little white short sleeves sticking out from under the black knit. It’s a trick! And how much do we love a trick? It looks as if you have been clever and layered up your look but no, you have just been a lazy fashion slut and done nothing but put it on. Excellent value. They do the work for you $149. Also in a grey knit. Divine. It’s fitted and so chic with harem pants. (NB for summer: just add harem pants and monster heels)
- You want the chic dark denim fitted blazer now $100. It is quite small and tight but I imagine you can squeeze into it and it will look fabulous. The blazer is hot, hot, hot so buy, buy, buy.
- Check out the classic denim jacket with a brown fake fur detachable collar now $209. It has V detail on the back and even though the fur looks fake it is quite a cool look in that 70’s kind of way. And you know the denim jacket is back because I have been going about it for months. Please don’t wear denim with denim unless you are going to a Michael Jackson memorial concert.
- Love the zip up long knit belted cardigans with a high rib neck $131. Love a long cardigan. Hate a short round neck cardigan. So frumpy. Ewww. Only Michelle can rock that. She is First Lady. And one hot Mama. You are not married to Mr. President.
- There are also a few cute accessories here such as belts and bags…
On sale with 70% off. There is a new collection instore and I suspect a new designer as you can tell there are a lot of pieces that are a lot more sophisticated. You want:
- The very chic black wool melton short peacoat with double stitching military detail. It has a big stand up collar and is more tailored and a little shorter than your usual garden variety peacoat. This is more sophisticated. $299
- The stripe knits are great: They have long sleeves and I like them because even though they is a low scoop neck you can just solve that problem by wearing it back to front. Scientific and anecdotal tests on shoppers have been undertaken and proved this is possible. No models were harmed in the making of this look. $59. Stripe is a HUGE story for summer. Go for navy and taupe. Wear now.
- The black wool melton princess coat is a great chic buy with 2 buttons at the neckline and a big collar. It has buttons off to the side which makes it asymmetrical. It’s a bit longer and will come to the knee. It’s a narrow cut so will work for work or with jeans. Or over your Pajamas. $399
- On sale check out the classic single breasted stone trench with epaulettes on sale now $249. Yes, I am addicted. It’s a good one though I prefer double breasted.
- Check out the navy cotton asymmetrical military jacket with navy buttons and back pleats now $179. This is a very Marc Jacobs or DKNY style jacket in a casual cotton. Great for a weekend look back with harem pants and heels.
- There is a rack of dresses and since THE dress is till a big story for summer I suggest you head here for a big snoop. Some print dresses are now reduced to about $179.
- You want the lovely grey fine knit ¾ sleeve knit top with a empire pleat gathering under the boobies. If you get my drift now $59.
- The grey shiny nylon trench is on sale too.
I am sorry. Please don’t cry but I have only made it to one first class store this week. What?!! I have been just too busy shopping the sales on Net-a-Porter and finding Economy class bargains for you… So head to Evelyn Miles, you can never have too many bags and shoes…
There are some new shoes instore and of course still on sale. (Who knows when they are closing…) New in are:
- The fabulous Barbara Bui chic peep toe platform pumps heels in brown or black, in a mock croc. You want classic pumps this season. $898
- Love the Barbara Bui square toe flats in bronze patent with a black toe and a silver strap across it, very Ferragamo $798, also in a heel too. So chic.
- You want the Barbara Bui long black heeled boots with one strap $1400. Everyone needs long boots for winter.
- Check out the same style Barbara Bui short tan ankle boots with a platform and 2 straps $1200. Love an ankle boot and why not go for tan?
- There are Robert Clergerie shiny, almost patent black flat slip on brogues with an elastic front in stead of laces $1198. Very Man style. Wear with a dress. The brogue man style trend is happening….
- Love the black Loeffler Randall printed snake platform round toe pumps $898. Classic.
- Also check out on sale: the Belle by Sigerson Morrison flats now $300 and the L’autre Chose cute summer flats now $250.
- And I spy with my little eye something beginning with M…..Marc Jacobs brown or tan sandals, wedges or jeweled sandals now $300 from $700… and more…
Chicken in White Wine and Dijon Mustard
Throw this together on a cold winter’s night and you will be very happy. (Photo from Gourmet Traveller)
You need for 4 hungry heterosexuals, 12 fashion editors, 20 models:
1 chicken cut into 8 pieces (or just buy 8 pieces of chicken)
400 gm Dijon Mustard
Bunch of lemon thyme
One bottle of white wine (for the cooking not for the drinking)
2 cups of chicken stock
About ½ kilo of groovy potatoes like kipfler cut into chunks
Non Designer daggy extra virgin olive oil that is good for cooking
Sel et poivre
- Throw on your favorite Chanel track suit.
- Pull on your favourite Dior Ugg boots.
- Pour a wine and gulp it down to make sure it tastes right and the chicken will be happy with it.
- Chop and peel the potatoes. Delegate this to the handsome and obliging George Clooney.
- Give him some wine too to keep him lubricated and malleable for jobs later on.
- Find a large bowl and throw in the chicken pieces with the Dijon mustard.
- Make sure the chicken is coated completely.
- Heat some non designer olive oil in a chic Le Creuset casserole dish that has a lid because you need it later. (Sing: if you like you should a put a lid on it.)
- Throw in the chicken pieces and brown them so they look like Donatella on a good day.
- Now sprinkle with pepper and pour in the wine and cook at high heat for a couple of minutes.
- Pour some more wine into yourself too.
- Add chicken stock, potatoes and thyme to the casserole.
- Now put the lid on, turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 35 minutes.
- You want the chicken soft and tender and as drunk as you are. Why? Because you are going to eat it.
- The sauce should be thick and creamy but if it isn’t then whip the chicken out for a rest and then thicken the sauce by heating up and reducing it.
- Or you could add a dollop of divine fattening cream.
- Serve accessorized with a little thyme sprinkled on the top.
- This is tres Francais served with a green salad and crunchy bread.
- And more vin Blanc.