It’s New York Fashion week!
(See a slideshow of all the fashion editors including the fabulous Carine Roitfeld here
- “ Donatella is in front of us… and we’re going, I can’t believe this. You can’t smoke. You can’t have a drink. When we got to the receiving line, this lady came up and said, “We’re sorry, they’ve all gone to their tables.” We were like, What? Tom and Katie just walked right up to the front, and we were like, Who the f*ck are they? They’re not even in fashion!” Kate Moss talking about the Met Ball last year
- “We’re sort of sick of hearing about the friggin’ recession,” Robert Tagliapietra
- “I’m feeling apocalyptic enough without going there in my clothing,” groaned an editor after taking in Rodarte’s autumn/winter 2009-10
- “What? Is all black going to help the economy?” Marc Jacobs queried the day before his show.
- “ It has been a mystery why the New York designers have seemed to ignore the “Yes, We Can” enthusiasm of the new U.S. presidency. But here was an American designer - even if he spends most of his time in Paris - who tapped into the exuberance of youth, The audacity of hope was from Marc Jacobs” Report Suzy Menkes in IHT
- “Everyone is either doing the eighties or trying to dress Michelle Obama,” Stylist Haidee Findlay-Levin
- “It’s un-retouched — she’s got wrinkles and she’s got a body,” Katie Grand about the launch of her magazine, Love, and the shot of Anjelica Huston. Wrinkles. Apocalyptic.
- “At Marchesa presentation, one model is so uncomfortable in her too-big high heels that her feet are going purple” reports The Cut on twitter
- “The fame, the glamour, the people that love you. I don’t know, I like the people who love me a lot.” Model Chanel Iman on the best parts of modeling.
- “She is no runway model. Heidi Klum is simply too heavy and has too big a bust. And she always grins so stupidly. That is not avant-garde - that is commercial.” Says German designer Joop
- “I don’t know Heidi Klum. She was never known in France. Claudia Schiffer also doesn’t know who she is.” Says Fellow German fashion icon Karl Lagerfeld
The good news is that a lot of movie stars have muffins tops, muffins bottoms and muffin thighs. The reason we don’t see any lumps or bumps on the red carpet is because of Spanx. Kate Winslet was ‘wearing her Spanx High Falutin’ footless panty-hose shaper the night she nabbed two Golden Globes for best actress and best supporting actress.’ Now we hear that Winslet has requested a spread of shapers for the Academy Awards”. We love Spanx. The body shapers suck it all in and give a smooth silhouette which especially important now that 80’s body conscious dresses (think Herve Leger) are back. Easier than dieting.
About $59 Spanx from David Jones.
What: Boyfriend Jeans
Which: The new hot look in jeans is a loose, slouchy, baggy style. Go for faded, a little ripped, and distressed. Or for a more sophisticated dark denim like the Lanvin Acne jeans above. You want a tapered ankle and a low crutch. They should be short, cuffed or rolled up so you can see the ankle and can show off your fabulous new Louboutins.
Why: Because it’s a great way to do the harem pants look without looking like you are live in a tent. Because we love jeans that are loose and easy to wear.. Because some of us could never do skinny jeans. Because there is always something sexy about borrowing from the boys. And wearing something that looks like you don’t care
Wear: With something feminine on top. A pretty blouse, a sexy cami or a simple tank. We love the look of a tailored fitted sharp blazer with loose slouchy casual jeans. Always with outrageous heels.
Where: Just Jeans, Jeans West, Net a Porter , Sass and Bide, Diesel Ksubi
When I look in the mirror I can see a lot laughter lines on my face. But is anything that funny? Which is why I have decided to try the new Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream. They say it has a “highly concentrated formula that combines an amino-peptide complex with hydrating power”. I say it has a rich, creamy texture and I really love to slather it on to get my skin feeling soft and smooth. They say it “helps you achieve dramatically younger-looking skin.” I say that all the laughing in the sun over the years means I will never look dramatically younger. Bummer. They say it is ‘a luxury anti-ageing cream without the luxury price-tag”. I say this is the perfect cream for a Recessionista. But don’t laugh when you see the price. Or you will need to buy more cream.
$49.99 Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream from major department stores and chemists.
The success of last season’s look book has led Miuccia Prada to collaborate once more with architect Rem Koolhaas to surprise us again with their exceptional graphic design.
What amazing shots! It’s a must see. (click on collection and then click on PDF lookbook ss 09)
This new site is an hilarious cartoon ‘entirely about models, and includes some funny, online-only shows, one of which is High Heel Bootcamp. It’s exactly what it sounds like: The veteran model teaches the newbie models how to properly walk in heels, and everyone watching laughs.’ Kooky
Vanity Fair’s Tales of Hollywood: Rebels, Reds, and Graduates and the Wild Stories Behind the Making of 13 Iconic Films…..by Graydon Carter
The magazine world ’s monthly arbiter of culture, personality, and world affairs, Vanity Fair has always offered the definitive insider’s look at Hollywood power and glamour since its relaunch twenty-five years ago. Now, for the first time ever, Vanity Fair presents a one-of-a-kind collection featuring thirteen behind-the- scenes stories on some of cinema’s most iconic films—including pictures as varied as All About Eve, Cleopatra, Sweet Smell of Success, Rebel Without a Cause, and Saturday Night Fever. For pop-culture fanatics and movie buffs alike, Vanity Fair’s Tales of Hollywood is an irresistible glimpse at how classic films—and box office bombs—are made
$10 Penguin (Non-Classics) (December 10, 2008) http://www.amazon.com
The Christmas List
But That’s Another Story: A Photographic Retrospective of Milton H. Greene.
A privileged witness to the glamorous spirit of the 1950s and 60s, Milton H. Greene photographed the greatest artists, actors, and personalities of the twentieth century. Renowned for his fashion photographs, Greene perfectly captured the fantasy, elegance, and beauty of his models, for which he secured assignments from major national publications and prestigious advertising clients. But That’s Another Story: A Photographic Retrospective of Milton H. Greene reproduces, in their original clarity and integrity, pictures that have been largely unavailable since Greene’s death in 1985. Organized thematically, it features both the widely published fashion and celebrity series (including the campaign Greene shot for American Airlines in the 1950s) and some intimate backstage candids. A whole chapter is dedicated to photos of Marilyn Monroe, where some of her most iconic portraits mix with private moments from her life. Ultimately, Greene’s photography invites us back to an era when film and fashion, art and style were at their highest.
$47 Amazon.com Publisher: powerHouse Books; illustrated edition (November 18, 2008)
Witchery :There is quite a few winter pieces arrived instore but there are also a lot fabulous summer buys to keep you happy. Best buys include:
- The fabulous black leather jacket, it’s very Chanel style without a collar and a round neckline with a tiny little frill detail along the collar and cuffs $699. You know you need a leather jacket for winter but if you don’t want to do the bomber look this is a chic de la chic alternative. Wear this with your boyfriend jeans. And your boyfriend.
- Love the Black wool peg leg, high waist, very YSL style pants. They have turned up cuff and a buckle on the cuff. You are scard of peg legs, and a high waist I know. But don’t frown. You will get into wearing these once you try them. Anyway this is just the beginning of the trend, they were lurking last season and will around for next. Invest in a pair right now and get years of wear out of them. $149
- You want the black harem pants/ dhoti pants in silk. These are cool to wear now in the warm weather. Just make sure you wear them with heels or I will never speak to you again. And you should just hop on the first plane to Turkey. $169
- If you don’t like the harem pants and a low crutch – (what?! What is wrong with you?? )- then buy the more classic cotton more casual parachute pants and wear with heels $89. They stop just below the knee and are little more fitted in the crutch area so you don’t look like you are wearing nappies. Buy them in taupe or black
- Check out the Black and white chiffon, leopard print blouse with a wrap and tie waist in velvet; So it’s a little hippy/boho which means you need to wear a tight fitted top so balance the silhouette or you will look awful and fat. ( sorry but looking fat is not good and I am not afraid to say it. I should know. I am the Queen of hiding the Muffin top) $169
- Buy the very Chloe esque handbag: it is a standup tote with one top handle and is divided into 3 colours of brown/ taupe/ choc with a silver hardware and a big clasp. It’s not so structured and lady like which makes it easier to wear casually. And don’t worry about matching your colours: it’s about mixing it up so wear it with red, black, navy ..anything. $269
- Love the grey , brown burgundy small floral print chiffon vintage style dress with little buttons down the front and 3/4poets sleeves: if you buy one thing for the season make it a vintage style dress. Love it under a jacket with short boots when it get cold $229
- In the shoes I love the taupe/brown suede short boots with a slit and lacing up the front and a stacked wooden wedge heel $239. You want a short boot tight now. As we discussed last week you can wear them with a pretty summer dress, and lovely brown legs. And fake tan.
- Check out the Prada esque black suede pumps with a tulip flower petal on the front of the toe. A little forties, and very chic with a stiletto heel. $189
This is a fab place for knits and Tees that are a bit more “fashion”….The New season has arrived and there is a lot of red white and black ( with some blue)
Best buys are:
- The white cotton tank with a crazy black and white sequin skull and cross bones on the front. Love it! The skull is not so scary and you can hardly make out that it’s there: You want to wear this under a tailored jacket or with a pencil skirt. The idea is to wear something edgy to break up something conservative. Or you will look conservative. Oh god we can’t have that. This Tee will look great with all those YSL peg leg trousers you have been wearing. And please don’t be afraid of wearing sequins in the day. ( see Lauren Santo Domingo from US Vogue) $120
- Also you must buy the fabulous and very over the top white tank with black feather crazy details around the neckline and a face drawing on the front $140. You can’t wear this with a jacket because you will cover the feathers. You can wear this with jeans but you need the confidence to carry it off.
- There is a cool black leather jacket ( which I mentioned before ) with puff shoulders, very short, with ¾ sleeves and a high collar. It sits quite high above the waist so this is not for anyone who has a stomach that rests on their thighs when they sit down. $380
- Or the other great buy is the black biker leather jacket with an asymmetrical zip and press studs flap …This is a pretty much a Biker look as apposed to a chic Chanel style leather jacket. The great thing is there a lot of leather jackets to choose from. You know how to wear this: I have told you hundred times; repeat after me” I will wear my leather jacket with a pretty dress and black opaques and heels’ $600
- Check out the pretty cream caramel short sleeve ruffle blouse; this is soft and feminine and perfect to wear right now in summer. It might be see through so wear a little tank or go for a National Geographic look if you feel like it. $129.
Semolina and Yoghurt cake…adulterated from the Book Falling Cloudberries
A lovely cake to serve in summer drizzled with rose water syrup and served with ice cream and fresh fruit.
You need for 10:
125g unsalted butter, softened
230g caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
250g plain yoghurt
1 tbsp rose water
1/2 tsp lime zest
125g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
55g ground almonds
For the syrup:
1 cup water
1 tbsp rosewater
- Slip into your Pucci caftan
- tie your hair up into a chic chignon
- Moisterise the cake tin with lashings of butter.
- Now get out the butter and sugar and cream it. You cna use your beaters or
just do it by hand. which is good for your arms
- Now grind up the almonds in the whizzer (but leave a few chunky pieces).
- Zest the lemons. Did you know lemons make your hands soft?
- Now whisk the egg yolks, yoghurt, rose water and zest together
- Now mix it with the fattening and divine creamed butter and sugar.
- You should taste it now to make sure it’s delicious.
- Now sift flour with the baking powder.
- and grab another bowl and toss in the almonds and mix with the semolina.
- Then stir that into wet mix. Gooey like your thighs after eating this
- Now you must find another bowl and whisk whites to soft peaks.
- Get George Clooney to clean up all the dirty bowls
- Fold the egg whites softly like Prada dress into other ingredients.
- Pour into a baking tin and Bake 180C for about 30-40. minutes.
- You can take it out if it’s a little caramel on the top. it’s better if it’s under cooked than over. A bit like suntans.
- Make the syrup and then pour it over the warm cake, giving cake time to absorb syrup before adding more.
- Serve with icecream and more syrup.
For the syrup:
- Dissolve sugar in water over moderate heat. Boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Cool and then add rosewater.
- Pour over cake and leave the rest in a jug