Sales are everywhere. But thank the lord there are a few new season pieces dribbling into stores…
Still a lot summer pieces in store. Which is good news. Baby it’s hot out there. You want:
• The Chanel style chain and black pleather necklace $39. Think the strap of a Chanel Bag and you have the idea. Wear this wrapped around your wrist as well. Or layered with pearls. Real ones.
• The grey marle over sized short-sleeved Flash dance top $59. Throw this on over shorts, or with skinny black pants. Oh, go on let it slip down your shoulder. You can wear it layered over a white tank to show off the tan.
• Buy the dark silver metallic open top tote. It’s rather fabulous for the beach. Who needs stripes or navy blue? Too nautical. Grab this bag and stuff in a towel, magazines, sunscreen and your gin. It doesn’t have a zip and has 2 wide black grosgrain handles $39.
• We are still in love with harem pants. Or Dhoti or what ever you call them. Buy the dark grey drawstring harem pants $69. To be worn with chunky heels and a tight little tank. But you knew that.
• In the shoes check out the Tee bar gold flats with a plaited front. Gold is going to be a huge trend so invest now. Remember Metallics work with every colour. I‘d like to call them a neutral. They are very easy to get along with and love parties (and they will talk to anyone) $69.
• The red and black animal print tote in cotton is cool. The print is right on. Think Lanvin or Balmain. Very 80’s and a bargain for you $19. Use this to go grocery shopping. Those green bags are awful.
• The sunglasses here are fab and great prices. Perfect to take to the beach and scratch with sand and dribble with salt water. Your Tom Ford’s might get jealous staying at home. Bless. But who want to wreck a $300 pair of sunglasses? Not this little recessionista. So, buy the aviators (not wire frames) very chic in a beige colour $29.
• Buy the grey marle slinky dress with oversized long cap sleeves with an elastic waist (or wear it on hips). Good for the beach to throw over your bikini, great with black shiny skintight leggings. If you have the legs. And if you don’t put down that almond magnum. $69.
A lot of fab, new, classic pieces here. Of course, there is a sale rack but I also see a few great items to take you through to cooler months. Best picks are:
• The cute floaty dress with 3?4 sleeves in a navy with a tiny yellow and white print. It has a tiny covered buttons up the front and will look gorgeous under a structured jacket $129. Wear it into winter. It will love going out with boots.
• Love the navy/ grey tie-dye skirt. It has a flat front in the dark navy and then it transforms into small pleats in the dark grey $129. The flat front is very flattering on the post Christmas gut. Another great trans seasonal piece. Wear it when it gets cold in a couple of months with a blazer, a knit and black opaques. Or wear right now with a white tank and stomp-a-icious brown heels. And bare legs. (see left)
• The white tank with a navy stripe and shoestring straps is a handy piece in any wardrobe. $29. Remember you can mix stripes and florals. Just make sure the colours like each other. Or there could be a fight. Or just wear this with high waist flared jeans and a Birkin bag.
• Love the boat neck navy top with a white stripe. So chic. So French. So buy it $49. Mais oui.
• You want the jersey flirty skating skirt in black brown animal print now $99.
• Please buy the black wide cuffed, cotton, high waist pants. Every wardrobe needs these. Wear with short tight tops. And heels. $99. Throw on belt and a shoulder bag. Very Charlie’s Angels.
• The Wooden Perspex chunky Marni esque necklace is chic $69. A chunky necklace is still so, so right. It will improve any boring pieces snoozing in your wardrobe.
• There are fab bags here too under $100. And of course, the wide black patent belt is here for about $69. This belt is a staple. You need it.
I spy a few new pieces instore and racks of sale items. Best buys include:
• A black silver sequin /beaded short waistcoat or is it a vest? $349. Wear it over a white Tee or tank with skinny jeans. Or think Dries (Van Noten for those who are still not in fashion mode) and wear it over a floral dress. It’s about dressing down the glitter. It’s about wearing it in the day rather than the evening. Ditch the idea of just wearing glitter at night. Darling that is So 2008.
• I see a very simple, linen, round neck, sleeveless dress with multi pleats and a cute fabric belt on sale. It’s very Lanvin inspired. And I see it in all sorts of colours: black, white, blue, burgundy and, dare I say, pale watermelon. (That colour continues to haunt me: it’s been around for years and won’t go away. Please don’t buy it.) $109
• Love the black silky fabric jumpsuit/all in one/romper. It has shoestring straps and it cinches in at the waist. Alcoholics pay attention: You can’t drink when you wear this. It means you need to undress every time. So annoying. $189. Good for an alcohol free night.
• Buy the groovy denim style harem/parachute pants on sale for $99. Wear with your heels and a chic tailored top.
• In shoes buy the simple – just perfect- little black patent ballet flats $139. Also in a fab dark silver metallic. Very Lanvin with an elastic side.
• Also buy the basic silver flat gladiators $119. These won’t strangle the cankle as some other gladiators do.
• In bags, buy the choc brown small rectangular shoulder bag with a strap. It can be a clutch as well $149. Shoulder bags are the go for next season. Big or small, it’s about bag dangling on your shoulder (as opposed to the two handle totes that Celebutantes can’t put down).
• Check out the Missoni style stripe purple/pink/ brown slinky long line cardigan with a belt and pockets at the front $139. Again, be adventurous and think Dries and wear over a floral dress. Mix it up! This will also look good with skinny jeans or wide cuffed high waist pants.
• Also keep an eye out for the slouchy grey long line V-neck belted cardigan: it’s a hot piece for next winter $89. And a hot piece for summer. Wear it over a bikini. Or with shorts when the cool change comes.
CK Calvin Klein:
Joy of joy! CK is on sale with up to 60% off. If simple, strong and architectural shapes are your style then race in here for fabulous bargains. Best buys include:
• A fabulous silver grey V-neck pleated top about $200. Wear with chunky platforms and simple basic black pants.
• The chic silver grey long line jacket (or is it a mini dress?) with a zip front, and 3?4 sleeves. Very minimalist it has a high collar and a narrow shape. About $300. This jacket will work in summer but will love to go out in winter too.
• Buy the black short crop jacket with hidden buttons and round neckline a la Chanel. It has short sleeves in a cotton twill about $180. It’s a great buy and you can wear it summer, autumn, winter, spring. Love this over a white Tee and with high waist jeans.
• Love the simple grey cotton Tee top with 3?4 elastic sleeves $290. So simple and understated.
• Buy the one shoulder black cotton dress with a drape front and a cute Fish tail…$200. One shoulder dresses are still a big trend for next summer. And the cut of this dress is fabulous as it has a drape gathering on the side that kind of distracts the eye from the Plum Pudding still sitting on the waist.
• Adore the black or pink cotton cap sleeve top. The cap sleeves sit over the shoulder a la Balenciaga creating a slimming armhole. Yes, a slimming armhole. $150. Love it.
• There is a chic slinky orange parka that will lift all the dark colours in you wardrobe. This will look great over a simple dress. Note: This is not a parka that is functional. It is most likely not waterproof, or windproof. Good news: its’ Dag proof.
• Love, love, love the simple rib tanks in white or black about $49. A must in any wardrobe.
• There is also hot pink here. Somehow it doesn’t look so cheap and nasty (Oh? you didn’t know hot pink is cheap and nasty? Keep reading The FiFi Report and you will soon learn that you can only wear hot pink if it’s from Prada or Ck. Of if you are 9 years old).
Always new pieces instore here. There are things to wear right now, summery and pretty and then there are pieces you can wear right into winter. My favourites are:
• The classic cotton taupe wide high waist pants. $129. These are a nice alternative to jeans. Or boring black pants. Add a stripe belt and a slinky top.
• Buy the dark grey wide leg pants with a cuff hem and front pockets. Fabulous. $149. Wear with your favourite platform heels and a pretty blouse.
• The dark navy blouse with pussy bow, tie front in a muslin fabric. The way to wear it? With irony. Sorry you can’t buy that. It means you wear it so you don’t look like Melanie Griffiths in working girl. Sex it up. Wear with shorts or with a mini. Wear with jeans $99.
• Love the new flirty print smock dress with a V-neck, cute 3/4 sleeves. It’s in a navy silky fabric with a tiny print. Yes, it’s a bit boho so you had better toughen it up with serious platforms. And a leather jacket. $199. This dress will work on a lot of shapes. (Translation? It works on anyone with muffin hips or donut stomach - see left).
• Buy the dark denim wide leg jeans. So flattering.. They suck it all in I swear. $99
• Love the grey marle V-neck, slouchy top $89. It’s almost like a vest with short wide sleeves that can fall off the shoulders. You can wear this with skinny jeans. Or if you are making a scrunchy face when I say skinny then try wearing it with narrow pants. I don’t think it will like to be seen with a skirt.
• The short stone double-breasted belted trench is a winner. Wear over shorts, over a dress, over your undies and give your boyfriend a surprise $149
• The new patent wedges with an ankle strap and a peep toe are a must buy. These are almost flat wedge so they will be comfortable. Your foot will not be at some weird 90 degree angle. And your face will not be in some weird painful expression.
• The high waist tailored shorts are fab $129. If you’ve got the legs then you can rock these shorts. Wear with a jacket. With heels, with a pretty blouse. If you don’t have legs for shorts then stop crying. And get over it. Leg extensions are not worth it.
• Still after some summer sandals? Then buy the asymmetrical black or tan white gladiators with a tan leather sole. The T bar strap is set off to the side rather than the middle of the foot. They have an ankle strap. $99. Gorgeous.
This store is not just about under wear or hosiery. There are fabulous basics here in cotton knits, microfibre, or cashmere. In simple classic colours. A lot of it is on sale. You want:
• The simple high neck grey, black, or white micro fibre Tee about $200
• The sexy clingy black long boob tube dress (good for under things). This is great to wear under a sheer maxi dress. About $300
• The black boob tube top about $200. Great to wear under the new seasons sheer blouses. Love it about $200
• The sleeveless high neck tank in grey has cut away shoulders. It’s a winner to wear under jackets. About $200
• Buy the black crew neck, sleeveless knit tank about $300 0on sale. The sleeves are wide so they sit over the shoulder, which gives the muffin arms some chic coverage.
• Love the cashmere grey low-neck tank about $600 on sale. And much more…. Jackets, dresses, tops, and undies. Wolford
Time to come back to pray at the Alter of the Fashion. There is a god and her name is Miuccia. The pre season (Resort) collection has arrived in store and the winter Lace collection is on sale. Too many pieces to write about here so I insist you race in here and drool for yourself. You want:
• From the winter collection on sale you want the 3 or 4 divine black dresses about $12000, the divine ruffle front wool melton jacket $$ and the entire rack of Prada Linea Rossa (Sport). There are puffa jacket, short zip cocoon jackets, simple black pants, skirts and a trench. All about 50% off.
• In the new collection you will die - die in a Rachel Zoe style - to have the brown leather bomber jacket about $5500.
• Or buy up the new white Tees with a jewel necklace attached about $900 (as previously seen as item du jour in The FiFi Report). There is also a white T with a sequin Teddy bear on the front. Gorgeous.
• Love the Prada Sport (Linea Rossa) black leather short sleeve jacket about $3200. Divine. There is no other word.
• There are also a few fabulous jewel encrusted black shirts and shirtdresses from the pre summer collection.
• Love the green and black almost animal print trench coat (as seen in all the magazines) $$
• Buy the flat black patent square toe flats with a silver square buckle $770. Shop for hours in these flats.
• In the bags, you want the jewel encrusted satin or nylon shoulder bags with a gold chain strap $1200. In amazing bright jewel colours from green, pink, and purple. (see left).
• The divine seriously sequined ombre clutch bags that fade from gold to purple with a black resin chain strap. $$. Yes please.
• Love the small black ruched shoulder bag in Napa leather with the black chain strap about $2000. This is bag to wear with everything.
• Buy the new black leather tow handle oversized bag with gold studs and zips about $2700.
• Adore the jeweled big drop earring with a fabric back about $370.
• You want the black hobo two strap leather and nylon bag. It’s almost a stripe of leather and fabric with silver hardware about $2800.
• There are fabulous shoes on sale but no bags. Sorry. They have been sold. Please don’t cry. There is always bluefly.com
Weekend Max Mara:
There are still a few pieces on sale but a lot of new winter collection is instore. You want:
• The black knit tank with subtle tiny little silver sequins. It’s sleeveless which makes it easy to wear now. Talk about versatile. Wear with jeans and chinos. Tone down the glitter $400.
• The stone puffa quilted jacket with a fur hood is perfect for the snow if you are off to Gstaad. It’s knee length and chic. $1400.
• The grey floppy pleat skirt mini is adorable. This will look great with a short jacket and some gladiator heels $440
• The stone belted short trench is fabulous and on sale now $704. Who can resist a trench? You can always buy one more.
• The black patent wide belt now $126. You can never have enough belts. You can always buy one more…
The quality here is fabulous and the prices are great. You want:
• The orange cotton jersey mini dress with drawstring neckline and poet’s sleeves $$. Orange is the colour du jour. This must be a top or a mini dress. Wear it now. It’s time you got out of your Pyjamas.
• Love the black cotton drill, fitted jacket, with 3?4 sleeves. Single breasted, short and tailored it has outside front pockets - a bit military style - so it’s perfect to wear with jeans or back with sexy shorts. Or a pencil skirt next season $1000.
• Check out the print silky top with a shirred waist. It’s in a small brown and purple tulip print with wide kimono style sleeves and V-neck $705. If you love a print then you should have this.
• Everyone should own the perfect black rib Tee $475. This is a wardrobe staple. This is an order.
• You want the black knit top with a slashed neckline and wide white stripes $565.
• After a new bag? Head here and invest in a red or orange patent big tote bag about $1200.
• Oh and I see a rack with 60% off…