• “I bought two puppies today. Sober impulse buying of companions who will help me stay home.” Lindsay Lohan goes out shopping to stay at home with the dogs
• “I can’t go more than 72 hours without shopping, but I don’t think I’m excessive.” Hilary Duff 72 hours? Wow. I am impressed. (Was that Sober?)
• “Britney has to concentrate on staying sober, but she can’t do that if she has to worry about going broke “ We all know how that feels ………( too many drunk impulse buys..) • “I gave up a lot of opportunities when I got married. I had a much better quality lifestyle and more money before I married.” Heather Mills explains why she is now Dancing with Stars ( Sober impulse marrying)
• “ We still have a friendship, it’s just the lawyers who are nasty. Not on my side, but on his side. There’s one woman. The lawyer, Fiona Shackleton, wants to drag it out to fill her pockets. She has said some mean things.” Heather Mills is nasty about the nasty lawyers
• “I’m a wannabe lipstick lesbian.” Transvestite comedian Eddie Izzard.
• “ There was no shame, because I kind of knew they were just lonely pissed-up old queens. And 20 quid was a lot of money!” Pete Doherty on selling his skinny self for sex. ( to Eddie Izzard?)
• “I’m not going to be in a purple lycra jumpsuit going, ‘Oh my God, my lipgloss.’” Gym-phobic Sandra Bullock….Eddie izzard probably has it…
• “You look, of course, and I go right to the ass… A 99-year-old woman and I’m going right to the ass. It can’t stop.” Richard Gere needs glasses
• “Buttocks, dear. Male buttocks, I mean. In ( the film) Becoming Jane there’s lots of them. In very tight britches.” Julie Walters please meet Richard Gere
• “I don’t wash that often. I go for a Glasgow shower, which is just a good drenching in deodorant.” Scottish singer Paulo Nutini is more concerned with songs than pongs
• “I bought two puppies today. Sober impulse buying of companions who will help me stay home.” Lindsay Lohan goes out shopping to stay at home with the dogs
I hate housework. You have to do the dishes and make the beds and then 6 months later do it all again. A bit like fashion really. Which is why I had a déjà vu moment when I nicked into Supre this week. There right before my eyes was the cute little glitter belt in silver seen months and months ago on the runway at Miu Miu. How clever. I can wear it this season worn around the parka (as seen on Sunrise!) or just to cinch in a simple sweater to bling up the black. I am very happy to do that look again. Not like the housework.
$15 Thin Silver Glitter Belt from Supre.
You’re wearing the groovy black Rayban wayfarers, the black leggings, the big shoulder jacket, and you’ve cut off your hair. What ever do you do next with all this 40’s/80’s look? Red lipstick. Add 1940s lipstick. The winter collections 08 (Dior, Gucci, Missoni) were full of references to the 1939 classic film, The Women and the 1980’s. If you still can’t live without the gloss then start trying the new look with a red gloss. If Jessica Simpson can dye her long, blonde hair and ditch her smoky eyes and add a red lip isn’t time you did the same thing?
*If you need a makeover (and who doesn’t ?) head to WBJ this Saturday 24th march and next Saturday 31st for a Complimentary ModelCo Makeover from 11-4Pm. All visitors to the fashion Hub will receive an exclusive ModelCo offer card. Tell them FiFi sent you…
- Selfridges In London is reinventing itself yet again, with a new $20 million project called the Wonder Room, a luxury lifestyle emporium that will offer merchandise such as cult toys, cigars, mobile phones, jewelry and wine. The space, which spans about 20,000 square feet on the ground floor, will open at the end of August.. www.selfridges.co.uk .wwd
- Also In London head to Barbican to see the works of maestro Alvar Aalto through Japanese architect Shigeru Ban’s eyes. www.barbican.org.uk.
- Bottega Veneta will once again re-create an apartment at its Milan showroom during the upcoming Salone del Mobile, Milan’s international furniture and design trade fair exhibition, running April 18 to 23. wwd.
- http://www.gap.com/browse/home.do it’s a cute TVC for Gap with Clare Danes.
- What a great idea! It’s Science for Celebrities…(Help I am a celebrity give me the facts)…http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/index.php/site/project/132/.
- In LA head to the new Bar Nineteen12 in The Beverly Hills Hotel http://www.thebeverlyhillshotel.com/
- In New York go to the David Lachapelle’s ‘Awakened’ exhibition www.tonyshafrazigallery.com.
- Then go to the new Taschen book store designed by Philippe Starck at 107 Greene street.. www.taschen.com
- Christian Lacroix unveiled new uniforms for French railway operator SNCF. Controllers will start wearing his gray tailored separates, spiked with chartreuse and purple vests, polo shirts and scarves. Lacroix fought back against unruly passengers with designs he said combine “power with elegance” — and fake neckties for men “because with real ties it could be dangerous,” he said wwd
- It is commonplace for fashion houses to e-mail red-carpet photos of celebrities, but Prada sent out paparazzi shots of starlets like Kiera Knightley and Jessica Biel carrying their bags while strolling down a London street and arriving at Los Angeles Airport, respectively. Clever.
- ” Yes dahling, it’s sell, sell, sell,” Kate Moss says of her new Topshop collection in the April issue of British Vogue in a 10-page, exclusive feature.Nick Knight shot Moss in six outfits from the 80-piece line which launches in stores and online on May 1. The Vogue cover shot features a black lamé minidress, which retails for 55 pounds, or $106.
- The International Center for Photography is honoring Karl Lagerfeld on May 14 at its 23rd Annual Infinity Awards at Chelsea Piers in New York.
- Europeans got a peek, or rather a stare, at Tom Ford’s new men’s wear concept, courtesy of a full-page teaser ad that ran in the International Herald Tribune last week. Shot by Mario Testino, the black-and-white image featured an extreme close-up of Ford’s eye and was accompanied by two lines of white text that simply said, “Tom Ford Menswear. 845 Madison Avenue New York April 12 2007.” WWD
It’s Nylon magazine and it’s cool..
See Kate Moss playing Miss X for Agent Provocateur in Part Four of the mini-film sequence, entitled Narcissus…
Nicole Richie is diagnosed with Hypoglycemia. She blames on-set health troubles of fainting to low blood sugar. …I wonder what caused that?
Angelina Jolie’s adopted son arrived in America via private plane. Then she gave him a Game Boy to play with. A lovely start to American life.
Jesse Metcalfe is in rehab to deal with alcohol issues. Surrounded by botoxed bitches would drive anyone to drink.
Suri Holmes-Cruise has taken her first steps (the batteries were finally inserted).
Snoop Dogg was seen wearing a shower cap and carrying a Louis Vuitton handbag. In public Outside. In daylight.
The Olsen twins burrowed out of their cave and stepped out into the sunlight this week with a new hair colour.
What’s the Verdict on Phil Spector’s Hair? Please explain http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20015442,00.html
Uma Thurman and Andre Balazs have split. Again.
Janice Dickinson was spotted at Fashion Show acting like her usual self, which means flashing her underwear and desperately flailing around for attention. thesuperficial.
‘Most people don’t show up for court-mandated community service at the garbage dump wrapped in a luxe gray fur. Then again, most people don’t try to discipline the help by smacking them with a bejeweled cell phone. So we shouldn’t be surprised that supermodel Naomi Campbell raised the bar on celebrity penance this week. For the last few days, Our Lady of the Bitch-Slap has sauntered in to work dressed in high-heeled boots, fedoras, and jackets in fur and leather.’ Says fugly.
Tom Cruise is still insane.
Katie Holmes has been crying over the phone to Victoria Beckham because “Tom is denying her every single thing” then Cruise left 18 messages in one hour on Victoria Beckham’s answering machine trying to get her to join Scientology ( or just trying to make the fembot eat ).
Michael Jackson is still insane. Two of his children’s faces were wrapped in black fabric when he appeared at Heathrow ( His youngest child, Blanket, was folded up in the luggage reports pinkisthenewblog)
Lindsay Lohan is carting around a book titled God’s Promises for Every Need. ( need a Birkin bag, I need a private jet, I need a limo …).
Britney Spears is facing “bankruptcy” after spending $21 million of her $32 million fortune and in rehab she was caught making out with another patient in the bushes.Britney is broke and having sex with drug addicts in bushes. She’s cured.
Paris Hilton and Stavros Niarchos have reportedly split again….zzzzzzzzzz yawn.
Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie were spotted reshooting a scene for The Simple Life because everybody knows reality requires careful scripting and multiple takes. I can’t figure out what’s more depressing: that they actually had to reshoot a scene for a reality show or that Paris and Nicole screwed up walking down stairs and getting into a car so badly the producers felt it was necessary bto reshoot reports thesuperficial.
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier (Hardcover) by Ishmael Beah.
This book has received rave reviews..A true story of a boy of 12 who ‘gets swept up in Sierra Leone’s civil war where his harrowing journey transforms him overnight from an innocent child to being forced into unruly, sociopathic rebel and army forces. He finds himself in the army—in a drug-filled life of casual mass slaughter that lasts until he is 15, until is he is saved by UNICEF and flees to the U.S.
“Everyone in the world should read this book’. The Washington Post
“A breathtaking and unselfpitying account of how a gentle spirit survives a childhood from which all innocence is sucked out. It’s a truly riveting memoir.” Time Magazine
“Beah is a gifted writer. . . Read his memoir and you will be haunted . . . It’s a high price to pay, but it’s worth it.” Newsweek
“Deeply moving, even uplifting… demands to be read.” People Magazine.
“Extraordinary . . ..” The Guardian UK
$15 www.amazon.com Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Fe 13, 2007)
The Christmas List
Venetian Gardens by Mariagrazia Dammicco and Marianne Majerus
‘Tucked away in the heart of Venice, hidden from the public eye, are unexpected oases of calm and beauty. Whether strolling through the narrow streets or riding on a gondola, most passers-by would miss the rows of trees running alongside ancient city walls, massive climbing vines, flower-covered terraces, and the luxurious gardens of grand palaces. Explore twenty of Venice’s secret gardens, ranging from private family havens to convent sanctuaries, and including all styles and shapes, contemporary and medieval alike.. This lavish volume is sure to inspire gardeners and lovers of Venice..” $29.70 http://www.amazon.com/ Publisher: Flammarion (March 6, 2007)
FiFi’s Top Best Buys for Winter
You’ve begged and begged….Now the wait is over! Hit the shops now. You don’t have to wait for the cold weather for most of these pieces…
What: The Sweater Dress
Who: Stella McCartney, Marc Jacobs, Prada
Why: Because it’s oversized, skims the bumps and covers the lumps and it’s trans seasonal. Because it will be a big story next, next winter.08 too. Because it’s cool.
Wear: To work over a skirt, at night with heels, on weekends to keep warm (in winter) Wear: with short boots, with wedge heels, with your short Prada Praka, with black opaque hose (no sheer please), over a T shirt. Make it grey or navy.
Where: From Witchery, French Connection, Scanlan and Theodore, Sportsgirl , Country Road, Just Jeans, Stella McCartney at Myer and Target of course.
What: The Cape
Who: Marni, YSL, Balenciaga, Hermes, marc Jacobs.
Why: Because it’s groovy. Because it was all over the runways just in from Paris. Because it’s a great alternative to a jacket. We love it because it’s transeasonal and you could wear it over a T shirt.
Wear: It works just as easily with jeans or with a pencil skirt for work. It looks great with black skinny pants, with cute shorts, with anything narrow on the bottom to avoid the Michelin man look. Anchor it with platforms to give the voluminous silhouette balance.. Make it black, red, choc, grey or go for fake fur and call yourself chubby
Where: Head to Arthur Gallan; Witchery in a knit, Scanlan and Theodore, Cue.
What: The Trench
Who; Burberry, Hermes, McQueen, Chloe, Marni
Why: Because it’s the perfect coat for climate change and warm weather winter dressing. Because it adds a light colour to black, because it hides everything, because Audrey Hepburn looked great and you can too. Because it’s sexy and chic.
Wear: At night over a sexy beaded mini dress, with jeans, over a sweater dress; with a brown leather belt to cinch it in…
Who needs rain?
Where: Country Road, Just Jeans, David Lawrence, Morissey, Burberry of course.
Who: Prada, Marni
Why: Because Prada opened her show with it way back in Feb 2006 and it looked great. Because sporty, modern chic is where fashion is at. Because it’s a cool, unexpected touch to city dressing. Because Miuccia Prada said so and we do whatever she says.
Wear: Not for camping darlink. It’s city dressing with big platforms, and wedges, and heels. Throw it over a sweater dress and belt it in. Over a mini; with black leggings; over skinny pants, or with a skirt. Oh, Ok; and if you it rains and you are in the country (neither which will happen).
Where: Witchery, Country Road, Veronica Maine, French Connection, Longchmps (on sale now and about to run out!), Prada.
What: The skinny black pant
Who: Balenciaga, YSL, Prada,
Why: Because with all that volume on top you need to keep the bottom slim. Because you want to look like a punctuation point with a chunky heel. Because it’s all about table top dressing; keeping the attention on top and slimming down the legs so they are dark and covered.
Wear: With everything. With a chunky shoe, with big sweaters, with capes and peacoats, with knits and pretty blouses.
Where: Arthur Gallan, Scanlan and Theodore, Bettina Liano, Cue, Saba, Prada, Stella McCartney and Lanvin.
What: The Trousersuit( part of above)
Who: YSL, Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs, Marni
Why: Because there is a return to tailoring and menswear influences; Because it makes dressing easy. Because you can go to from day to evening in a switch of accessories. Why just buy the pant when you can get the jacket as well?.
Wear: To work with a cami and heels, or with a pretty chiffon blouse and a white belt a la Marni. At night throw on a beaded sequin top, some serious heels , and a clutch. Weekends toss it on with a hoodie and converse. But you know that.
Where: Saba, Country Road, Scanlan Theodore, Arthur Gallan, Max Mara
What: The Tunic
Who;YSL. Marni. Prada, Lanvin, Balenciaga
Why: Because it’s an ode to the retro futurism and the 60’s. Because it’s part of the voluminous trend. Because it can be worn as a mini. If you have the legs. Because it skims and doesn’t cling. Because YSL made it look so cool. Because that’s why
Wear: With those skinny pants or leggings; with slouchy grey pants cinched in with a belt. With wedges and opaque hose, over go crazy and toss it over blouse with the sleeves peeking out.
Where: Cue, Veronika Maine, French Connection, Country Road, Scanlan Theodore and of course Marni and Lanvin at David Jones, Belinda or at Arida.
What: Accessories! They are all big this season: Big bags, big platforms, bold jewellery and cuffs, big sunglasses, huge rings.
Who; Think Balenciaga for heels, Chloe, Hermes and Prada for bags, and Lanvin and Marni for jewels.
Why: it’s about making a statement and big voluminous shapes need big accessories. Because who doesn’t want to look taller? Who doesn’t need a huge bag? Who doesn’t want to hide behind big glasses? And who wants to wear horrid thin gold chains around your neck except kath n Kim?
Wear: Please put away pointy toe stilettos until further notice. Pointy is Ok if it’s platform. Please see the physiotherapist to deal with back problems caused by lugging big bags. Please wear chunky jewels with strong sculptured shapes. Pileup the bracelets. Mingy is never in fashion.
Where: Mollini or Nine West; Mimco, and Witchery. Belinda or Marni in Double Bay, Just head straight to The Mothership; Prada.
Stir fried Chicken with Basil and Chilli…..inspired from Bills.
it’s a winner! You’ve got the gorgeous basil growing in the garden, you’ve got the Chilli now throw it together for a quick but oh so delicious dinner. Relax; it takes longer to read the ingredients than it does to cook..
You need for one starving shopper, 2 girls or 6 fashionistas or just 2 boring people
4 garlic cloves
1 large red chilli
¼ teasp salt
2 tabs canola oil
2 chicken breasts
Handfuls of snow peas, beans, anything green.
2 tabs fish sauce
1 tab dark soy1 tab sugar …optional if dieting. (Always dieting therefore not optional )2 large red chilli ( depending how hot you want it)
Small bunch of basil Serve with rice
• Roughly chop garlic and 1 large red chilli ( you know they love it rough)
• Throw both into mortar and pestle with the salt for a good bashing and smashing until it turns into a paste ( good for upper arm workout)
• Pop on the rice now
• Turn up the music
• Pour a wine
• Count up calories for the day’s eating to decide if you can add the sugar
• Ask George Clooney how hot he likes his chicken
• Chop up the chicken into chic little bite size pieces
• Chop the other chillies. Please use a knife and fork to stop any hot chilli in eyes
• Wonder how Nicole Ritchie could ever get low blood sugar
• Heat oil in a wok
• Toss in garlic chili paste and give it a swirl or two till it smells divine
• Throw the chicken into the wok ( don’t know where else you will put it)
• Cook until it’s nearly cooked ( about 3 minutes)
• Throw in beans.
• Add fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar if you must
• Throw in the basil and the extra chilli
• Serve on a relaxing bed of rice and extra basil
• Look at all that gorgeous red and green seeping into the white background: Miuccia would approve…
The Last Kiss … Directed by Tony Goldwyn (A WALK ON THE MOON)
Based on: Gabriele Muccino’s 2003 film L’ultimo Bacio.
Genre: Drama RomanceWho: Zach Braff, Jacinda Barrett, Rachel Bilson, Blythe Danner, Tom Wilkinson.
The Plot: 2006 Amercia: Marriage-phobic Zach Braff loves his live-in girlfriend Jacinda Barrett. She gets pregnant. He gets worried. Enter pretty, little, sly slut from The OC. She seduces him. He falls for it. He is s a lying cheating scoundrel. Girlfriend finds out about affair. Everyone screams. Including her parents, his friends and their wives/girlfriends. More lying,cheating and screaming. She should ditch the bastard. He has a mid life crisis at 30. The end.
Acting: Zach Braff is naturally funny but tries not to be which is quite funny. Blythe Danner and Tom Wilkinson are fabulous and steal the show. Rachel Bilson thinks she is on TV.
Design: All American houses with big porches and huge kitchens.
Wardrobe: I spy a Miu Miu bag, some pretty dresses and some chic knits.
Salon de Beaute: Zach Braff could do with a facial. Jacinta Barrett has great hair and so does Rachel Bilson.
Botox: Rachel Bilson has injected it to numb her personality and acting. Jacinta Barrett tries hard to frown when she is really angry. Nothing happens. So she shouts instead. You have to let them know you are angry somehow.
Waterproof Mascara: A little funny, a little sad, a little bit of mascara.
Blood ’n’ Guts: No blood. Just screaming ( which suits Italians so much better)
Mind drifted to shopping: Quite often.
Smokin’ smooches: Smoking… but not a lot of fire.
Car chases: Of course it’s a movie about guys.
Rename it: The Crying Game
Movie Mistake #1: Don’t try a remake of an Italian film.
Best Review; “ delightfully funny, warmly romantic, and touchingly dramatic. The characters are appealing, and the dialog is sharp and smart.” Internet Reviews
Best Worst Reviews: “Watching these privileged young people fret over the banal soap opera of their protected lives made me want to don a bandana and join a gang of socialist revolutionaries.” Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)
“ sometimes feels like an entire season of a television series crammed into less than two hours, full of activity, but lacking shape.” New York Times.
See it or donate to the Prada Bag fund? You know you desperately want the bag, just buy it. Rent the DVD.