- “It’s a dichotomy. I understand that people think I’m a ditzy moron.” Mariah Carey. Oxymoron. Foxymoron.
- “Do not pull them up tight and have your bulge showing. Let it hang!” Victoria Beckham on the proper way to wear jeans. She should know. Her bulges always show.
- “I’m a really easy guy to read.. She’s the most supportive [girlfriend], even as a friend, so supportive of everything I’m doing” Benji Madden about his girlfriend Paris Hilton. Ditzy moron. No brain. She can read?
- “I really romanticized being pregnant. Then I realized, this is awful!” Marcia Cross on having twins. Let it hang!
- “My breast pump is in the car. And we have a converter because there’s no car charger, so that way I can plug it right in at 10 o’clock!” Nicole Richie. This is awful. Don’t let them hang.
- “I’m just going…to be fat and happy.” Minnie Driver on her pregnancy. Letting her bulges show.
- “I haven’t actually reached my sexiest point yet.” Catherine Zeta-Jones, on aging gracefully. Micheal Douglas has.
- “I just get embarrassed so easily,” says Janet Jackson. “Sometimes I feel “I’m in the wrong profession. You know, a photographer will ask me to do something, and I think, What? With all these people around, staring? I don’t know, I guess it’s my insecurity. Maybe when I’m 90, I won’t care, and just stick my ass out.” Janet Jackson gets embarrassed easily” … I know I can barely look anyone in the eye whenever I leave the house wearing a head cage” (pictured left for BlackBook magazine) ..sayspinkisthenewblog.
Reasons to buy High Waist Knickers:
- Your muffin top keeps trying to escape your jeans.
- Your muffin top is now a muffin tray.
- Your muffin top loves to rest on your thighs when you sit down.
- Your muffin top is head over heels in love with Chocolate Hot Cross Bun Pudding (see FiFi’s recipes).
- Your muffin top needs a restraining order.
- Your Visible panty line is now below the tree line.
$15 Bonds Hi Tops High Waist Knickers from Myer and David Jones nationally.
Life is too short to eat bad chocolate. And life is too short to be out shopping for Easter eggs when you can buying shoes. So sit back, relax and order these divine Valrhona caramel eggs online. Then eat. It’s as simple as that.
Reasons for a Room Spray:
- The smell of melting chocolate is not good for the diet.
- The smell of melting butter is not good for the diet.
- The smell of George Clooney’s melting dirty socks are not good for the health.
- The smell of cleaning products reminds you of rehab
- The smell of empty Veuve Cliquot botttles is not good for the headache.
- The smell of J.Lo’s latest tacky perfume is still wafting out of Vogue.
The smell of the caramel vanillla fragrance of L’Occitane Vanilla Home Perfume is subtle and chic and quite divine. Why should your face and body gets all the beauty treatments?
$50 from L’Occitane en Provence stores nationally.
- Gisele and LeBron James on the April issue of US Vogue (left).
- Topshop has snapped up Australian designer Alice McCall for its latestdesigner collaboration. The range is a delicious mix of playful printsand punches of acid bright colour on backless dresses, high-waistedskirts and crocheted camisoles. Alice McCall for TopShop hits theshelves on May 12, with prices from £35. Vogue.co.uk
- Seafolly has collaborated with Virgin Atlantic to offer the airline’sUpper Class female passengers a complimentary bikini while they relaxat the flagship Virgin Atlantic Heathrow Clubhouse. No eating. WWD
- Eva Mendes has been named as the new face of Calvin Klein Underwear.
- “It’s a building, but also an object at the same time,” said Karl Lagerfeld as he toured Chanel Mobile Art in Hong Kong. “It’s like a sculpture you can walk in. The pavilion officially opened its doors last week, but the party only got started when Lagerfeld arrived in Hong Kong to see the exhibition for himself. To mark the occasion, hundreds of guests gathered atop a car parked next to the demolished old Star Ferry pier, where the Mobile Art exhibition has been drawing crowds of art lovers, architecture aficionados and curious onlookers. Zaha Hadid, the Pritzker Prize-winning architect who designed the container, was also along for the ride” reports WWD
- “The Hermès collection Jean Paul Gaultier presented on the runway for spring has been a bonanza for Carla Bruni-Sarkozy. France’s new first lady chose a short white dress for her nuptials to President Nicolas Sarkozy last month, and a purple, one-shoulder gown (pictured below left) for her first official dinner at the Elysée Palace attended by the likes of Lanvin designer Alber Elbaz. It is understood that Bruni-Sarkozy bought both dresses herself at the Hermès boutique on the Avenue George V.” reports WWD. She paid retail?
- “Provocative images of some of the world’s most beautiful women - GiseleBundchen (pictured below right), Kate Moss, Bridget Bardot and Lauren Hutton among them - areto be auctioned at Christie’s on April 10. The 135-piece collection ofprints belongs to prolific German-born collector Gert Elfering andincludes photographs shot by the likes of Irvin Penn, Richard Avedon,Man Ray, Diane Arbus, Helmut Newton and Horst P Horst. Vogue.co.uk www.christies.com
- “Hurricane Katrina brought devastation on New Orleans to life, however, W is showcasing the people who embody the lively spirit of the Big Easy in a 60-page photo essay for its April issue. Photographer Bruce Weber, along with stylist Karl Templer shot supermodel Karen Elson and New Orleans’ restaurateurs, musicians and otherwise colorful personalities that have rarely been featured in stories about the city.” (above middle) reports WWD.
- “DKNY Jeans plans to launch a new label, Edie Rose, to offer a more fashion forward line to its customers - with the collaboration of actress Rachel Bilson.’ Vogue.co.uk
- Check out the fabulous furniture of hot designer du jour www.jorislaarman.com
- In New York check out the Irving Penn exhibition at The Pace Macgill gallery. www.pacemacgill.com
- “It looks like Marimekko has been up to more than just their collaboration with H&M - The Finnish company has just announced a collaboration with beauty giant Avon. Marimekko has agreed to license its signature pattern (left), Unikko, to Avon for the makeup range, which will consist of just four products - an eye shadow, face powder, lip gloss and mascara, in addition to accessories.” reports WWD
‘Kate Moss has launched her fifth collection for TopShop. Inspired by her travel experiences in Ibiza, Miami and India, her latest offering will be a nod to the global traveller trend and to her own luxury boho style reports’ Vogue UK.
check out the Zac Posen collection (pictured) for Target available April 3,….chic.
- Shock news reports: “A US politician has been linked to prostitution. This comes with news that the Pope has been linked to Catholicism. The sky is linked to the colour blue, the British Royals are linked to Germany and George W Bush is linked to the chimpanzee (twice removed).” reports thedailysquib.
- Left: Angelina is letting the bulge show
- See the latest Kate Moss vaccuum cleaner video.hilarious! www.jezebel.com
- Halle Berry’s newborn daughter is called Nahla Ariela Aubry.
- “Prince Harry’s girlfriend (left) has been sunning herself in South Africa.Zimbabwe-born Chelsy Davy escaped the chilly UK to practiceposing for the 2008 calendar where she will pose as a female carmechanic” reports thedailysquib.
- Madonna and Guy Ritchie are over.
- “I am delighted to confirm that Mr. and Mrs. Guy Ritchie remain happily married,” Liz Rosenberg their publicist.
- In the Mills/McCartney Divorce the Judge gave Heather Mills hundreds of millions of dollars less than she wanted after finding her “inconsistent” and “less than candid,”. McCartney was described as “consistent, accurate and honest.”. I could have told you that for $25million.
- Minnie Driver is pregnant. No clue who the father is.
- Madonna’s new album cover (below right).
- Breaking news: Gwyneth has cut her hair (above left).
- “Michael Douglas ( above) has revealed the secrets to his, er, youthful looks: his face is pumped full of Formaldehyde each morning to keep his flesh from further decomposing. This solution preserves the human tissue and prevents any flacidity of the wasting flesh’ reports thedailysquib.
- Director Anthony Minghella passed away at age 54 after suffering a fatal hemorrhage following surgery for cancer of the tonsils and neck.Bless
The Sorrows of an American: A Novel (Hardcover) by Siri Hustvedt (Author)
‘The Sorrows of an American is a soaring feat of storytelling about the immigrant experience and the ghosts that haunt families from one generation to another. When Erik Davidsen and his sister, Inga, find a disturbing note from an unknown woman among their dead father’s papers, they believe he may be implicated in a mysterious death. Returning to New Yorkthey continue to pursue the mystery behind the note.A novel about fathers and children, listening and deafness, recognition and blindness; the pain of speaking and the pain of keeping silent, the ambiguities of memory, loneliness, illness, and recovery. Siri Hustvedt’s exquisitely moving prose reveals one family’s hidden sorrows through an extraordinary mosaic of secrets and stories that reflect the fragmented nature of identity itself.” A must read.
$16 www.amazon.com Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (April 1, 2008)
The Christmas List
Tony Duquette (Hardcover) by Wendy Goodman , Hutton Wilkinson, Dominick Dunne (Foreword)
This is a fabulous book. He was a genius and I suspect the interior designer du jour Kelly Wearstler is totally inspired by him. “American artist and design legend Tony Duquette (1914–1999) was known for his over-the-top style in interiors, jewelry, costumes, and set design. His clients included Elizabeth Arden, the Duchess of Windsor, and Herb Albert. The multi-talented Duquette designed sets for MGM musicals with Arthur Freed and Vincente Minnelli, and designed Tony Award–winning costumes for the original Broadway production of “Camelot.” Duquette was the first American to exhibit a one-man show at the Louvre in Paris. Tony Duquette is a lavishly illustrated book with many lost and never-before published photographs from the Duquette archives, including portraits and pictures taken by Man Ray as well as original sketches, designs, and texts by Duquette himself. With contributions from Liza Minnelli, Arlene Dahl, Steven Meisel, Bruce Weber, and others” A must buy.
$47 www.amazon.com Publisher: Abrams Books (December 1, 2007)
Head here for a lot of great basics; all under one roof. There’s a great pair of dark denim high waist skinny jeans $79; a chic little a multi coloured short sleeved knit stripe top $39 and if you buy two you get them for $60. You want a leather jacket so check out the cool button front jackets here in all colours to make you happy. Love the red, brown, grey and black and you can have the vintage leather too. $169. One of this winter’s basics has to be the Stella McCartney inspired long line knits in grey. Then grab a cardigan in red or purple as well $59.95. There are also a fab wide funnel neck short knit with a drape neck $49 and you want it in the luxurious cream. Perfect for the days when you are looking after small children and puppies. No dribbling easter egg choc down the front please. There’s a cute school boy blazer in a heavy cotton for $69, bargain or buy the cotton 3?4 trench in black or red $99. Then throw on a $19 beret. Cheap but chic. Mais Oui.
Always cool pices here at great prices: best buys include a chic little grey pussy-bow tie neck dress with long sleeves $129 and a grey wool( light-weight) dress with a deep v-neck, 3/4 sleeves and a pleat detail on front $99. Simple chic. There are two great jackets you must try on: A grey loose, fit 50’s style coat $399 and a black longline (just above the knee) soft wool mix, tailored coat with a deep back vent $279.95. Love the moonbeam cardigan in red (also comes in black) $99 and the grey cable knit cardi with 2 front pockets and button detail $229. The navy wide leg pant with four buttons at the front are so chic $139: wear with the crisp white collared long sleeved blouse $99. The black thick rain jacket with huge buttons, pockets and hood is perfect for climate change $179. You need the wool short grey shorts $129; Wear with heels, a biker jacket or just a sloppy sweater and you will be happy all all winter.
I love the shoes here. I love shoes.com. Buy the brogue style grey shoe boots with tassle bow ties $158 (think Chloe Sevigny); and the black half-bootie with high heel that ties at the ankle $148. The shoe boot is hot. You know that because I have been telling you since they first appeard on the runway last October. it is now March. Love the fabulous elastic front (easy access) high heel bootie that has a gap in the front to show off your foot $148. Sexy. You want the metallic pewter elastic back ballet slipper (also comes in black and taupe) $138 and the Prada-esque pointy toe pumps in the ombre patent in blush or grey $138. the only boots to wear this season are flat. Or short. But not short and flat. So invest in the flat leather long boot with zip trim which also comes in black, grey or tan $228 or if you want a patent boot try the black boot with buckle $198. But this season I prefer shoe boots or wedges with opque hosiery.
AX garments are always a fabulous cut, and all have the stamp of approval by Giorgio himself. The winter range has arrived instore and you must race there now. Buy the thick wool double breasted jacket with wide arms in navy or red $399 and then wear it with a black tiny denim mini skirt (also comes in red) $129. If you want to show off your legs you will be happy to know the short skirt is still cool. And very mod. You need the white or black AX ribbed cotton singlet to wear under all your jackets; perfect $49. Love the black or red wool tights $59. And for all mini people wear the black mini shorts for the mini price of $119. Adore the zip front quilted leather jacket $259. You can wear it in hot pink only if your name is Agyness Deyn. Sorry. There are gorgeous leather clutches with silver clasps in pink red or black $119. Love the long sleeved silk blouse in purple or black $179 and the black cropped denim vest $129. Best buy? The black heavy cotton trench $319. You will wear it and wear it again this winter. And next.
The bags are great here: we Love the day tripper bag in brown leather $450; it’s is the perfect size (for any trip even to the kitchen) and it has handy side pockets with zips for easy access. The brown fly-fisher satchel is another little handy number that you can use for travel or weekends: it has a strap to fit across the body or can be adjusted for shoulder-hang and looks cool with heavy stitching and solid buckles. $399. Hands free! The jewellery is fabulous here. Checkout the chic, gold starburst earings (called inheritance floral drops) $159. Stars were all over the runways for summer. Adore the bold dramatic necklace which is made of hammered brass and silver loops $179. Love the studded patent black leather 3strand cuff $169 and the kubric circle hard resin cuff in cream and black with a diamante front $149. There’s also a chic pearl and silver multi-strand necklace; it’s something you can wear with jeans or throw on for a big night out. $249. You shall go to the ball.
Max and Co:
This is a one stop shop for the most luxurious winter buys. Great prices for fabulous Italian designer quality. Buy the gorgeous blackberry bubble dress with a matching belt $420;or the skirt in the same fabric $390 and wear it with the grey metallic knit singlet $180. Love the skinny leg jeans in dark denim with a shine finish $285. Wear with the fabulous black ankle booties with a side fastening $480. Rock chic. The knits are fabulous and so perfect for this in-between weather and transeasonal days. Those days when you are on the floor sobbing into your boring wardrobe. You want the Chocolate cable knit thigh length jumper with sequins $530 - you do- or the brown cable knit hoodie with button fastenings $250. Sensational. Love the cream (also comes in black and grey) knit shrug $175. The wool shearling fitted jacket in rust is a gorgeous piece in faux leather, fur and suede. How clever it looks like the real thing. Keep the vegans happy. Should be the only thing you fake this season. New in is the velvet black fitted jacket $485 and the long button up pants to match $385, gorgeous. You wil be very happy to know that the little black dress was in every major runway show for next winter so please buy the divine black stiff shift dress $425. Then grab the waffle thick cream jacket $585 and the chicest little black lapin fur knitted short jacket $950. A lapin is a rabbit. It’s Easter I know. Please don’t be offended. It will be loved.
Paul and Joe:
The new collection is here and it is divine. You want the black and white silk kaftan with a pixel print of a cat on the front and back $675. You will be purring as soon as you see it in the window. Then ravish the racks; there is a heavy black woven cotton nylon jacket with black ribbon trim blazer $995; wear it with a black belted pant gathered at the hem and waist $495. Adore the black all French lace shirt with collar and long sleeves $675. Prada’s show for next , next winter was all lace. It will be big. Invest now. Check out the very clever white silk blouse attached to a strapless black dress $675. That makes getting dresses very easy. Invest in the black woven silk puff sleeved jacket $1,295 or the safari inspired oversized silk jacket $895. You want the quirky green and black zebra print silk wide arm short dress $525. snazzy. And we love, love the stiff gold stripe 60’s style shift in silk/nylon $695 and the silver as well as the white pinstripe top with frill neck and frilled sleeves with a silver trim $495. Yes please.
Always shoe and bag heaven in here. I spy a new collection of Anya Hindmarsh bags, shoes and purses. In chic colours like cement and beige tones with clever highlights of pink and silver metallic, matt or patent leathers. Gorgoeus Then drool over the Miu Miu bags: check out the pink ruched bags, the matte leather bags and the hot pink woven large bag $1,948. Love the Miu white below-the-knee boots with silver zips $1498 – Modalicious- and the white belt with Miu Miu gold buckle $368. You will remember the Miu Miu peep toe mimousa pumps in yellow or black from the runway (a season ago) $538. Also buy the Robert Clergerie tie up black suede wedge bootie $889. Love the Pedro Garcia ballet slips in orange or stone $498 and the Robert Clergerie tie up black suede wedge bootie $889. Love the Pedro Garcia ballet slips in orange or bone $498 and invest in next summer already with the Pedro thongs in black or bone $428. Feeling a bit kooky? Need some shoes in colour? Buy the Moschino green pumps with a bow at the front – very unique $748. There are shoes on sale here too – from 30% off.
It is time to go back to the Mothership. Pray at the alter of Miucia. The spring summer Fairy collection is now instore. You will marvel at the crazy shoes with the mad heels that look like a tree trunk. You will marvel at the pointy toe stilettos that look just as radical. Pointy toe stilettos are lurking back on the fashion radar but I still can’t bring myself to wear them. Just yet. Then again if they are from Prada ….and they are in black patent. $700. Love the chunky patent heels in blush with an ankle strap and the pink butterfly heels $970. Love the patent ballet flats In the clothes you will love and adore the rib sleeveless vest to wear with all the fairy skirts ; and the stone and white story. Buy the stone double breasted trench; it’s collarless and belted $2060 and the stone cotton school boy blazer with a white lapel trim. $1800.Buy the stone dress with a 50’s ruffle neck dress and the 50’s full skirts in stone cotton. The blush pink blouse with ruffles is divine and so is the blush pink belted leather trench $3600. Buy the black taffetta belted opera coat and you will love it forever $2700. Drool over the fairy skirts as seen in all the magazines and a version of the red silk 50’s style print dress so loved and worn by Anna Wintour. Love the bags, of course. You will hover over the rainbow or stripe collection in all colours and sizes and then head to the lovely taupes and cream for about $2400. Love all the trinkets and bag charms and cute clutch bags. That women is a genius. Amen.
Hot Cross Bun Pudding…inspired from Delicious magazine
An excess of Hot Cross Buns lying around the kitchen? Turn them into a delicious pudding. If you are lazy use store bought custard instead making it. You will be; it’s Easter.
You need for 6 consenting adults, 50 models, 3 fatties:
6 chocolate or normal hot cross buns
30g soft unsalted butter
125g roughly chopped good-quality dark chocolate
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped (optional)
600ml thin cream
600ml thickened cream, extra to serve
Zest of 1 orange
170g caster sugar
1/4 cup brandy (optional for you but adminster large dose for kids overdosed on chocolate. )
Icing sugar, for accesorizing
- Find the leftover hot cross buns in the fridge
- Do not eat the Easter egg chocolate hidden for the kids/husband/cat in the fridge
- Split the hot cross buns in half
- Spread with lashings of outrageously naughty unsalted butter. Eat one to make sure they are delicious
- Find a big baking dish
- Moisterise it with lashings of butter
- Pop the bottom half of the buns along the bottom of the baking dish
- Open up packet of dark chocolate. Test to check it is delicious
- Roughly chop the chocolate and check again to make sure it is still delicious
- Sprinkle the buns with the chopped dark chocolate, then toss the lids of the buns on top. This is called hot cross bun chocolate sandwich
- Now zest the orange
- Find a saucepan
- If you have a vanilla pod ( and seeds) throw it in the saucepan with the orange zest
- Pour in the thick and thin cream (Yes; there is a cream and it’s called thin. A man must have come up with that name) .
- Heat the creams over low heat until just simmering. As you will be when you try on your skinny jeans after Easter.
- Remove from the heat and let the cream sit there quietly reminding you how fattening this whole thing is. Ignore it.
- Find a bowl and toss in the eggs, sugar.
- Sample the brandy to make sure it’s delicious. Hic! Throw it in with eggs and sugar. Give a spoonful to any screaming children nearby.
- Beat it all together until it’s just combined then pour that into the warm cream, stirring continuously.
- This is now called custard.
- Hint: ignore the last steps and use a carton of custard instead
- Pour this gorgeous creamy custard over the buns
- Set the pudding aside for 30 minutes. Watch as the buns soak up some of the custard. As your thighs will do.
- Chuck it in the fridge until you are ready for dessert and cooking
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Throw in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve all the fatties with extra cream.
- You will die with delight.
- Happy Easter !