Reasons to buy new, fabulous Jelly Gladiators for $19:
- You can now spend the $789 you saved on Givenchy platforms.
- You can now spend the $789 you saved on petrol.
- You can shop for hours. Pain free.
- You won’t have buyer’s remorse staring into your shoe closet next summer.
- You can walk in rock pools. And still look fabulous.
- You can spill champagne and not sob hysterically.
- No shoes were hurt in the making of this look.
- It doesn’t matter if it rains.
Allure Jelly Gladiators, $19. Available at Shoobiz.
I love Christmas. I love glamour. I love dressing up.
Give me anything and I will accessorize it.
Give me a tree.
FiFi’s Favourite Christmas Decorations*…
Country Road: So many chic little baubles to choose from. My pick is the adorable silver star (above) $5.95.
Papaya: An amazing selection but favourites are Mercury Antique Angels, $24 for 3.
Mandalay Flowers: This is Christmas Decoration heaven. You must have the chic white porcelain stars, the white shells, the twig wreaths…it’s all divine.
Orson and Blake: Talk about chic. You will treasure the simple little hand carved wooden animals $15 or the prettiest white porcelain reindeer, $15.
Georg Jensen: Danish style at its best, this star ( above) is perfect as a gift or sitting on a tree.Now on sale for $45 ( and check out the fabulous online store)
* Remember with Christmas Decorations it’s about finding one gorgeous one and then adding to it each year. Just like a husband.
There is a white elephant in the room. In fact there are two white elephants. And they are both sticking out from under your 50’s Prada skirt. It’s time to transform them into tanned and toned gazelles. Time for a fake tan. Here are my 3 favourites:
Ella Baché Great Tan Without Sun, $39.
Fabulous if you want the tan to develop over about 2 hours. It will give a natural tan and stay there for days. It has a slight tint, which is great because it means you can see where you are applying it. It dries pretty quickly and it smells nice so George Clooney won’t complain when you whip it out and smear it on before you go to bed.
Bloom Instant Bronzed Glow Finish, $28 from Portmans and David Jones.
This is the best instant tan. This is for those days when you have been too lazy to apply fake tan overnight and you suddenly want to throw on a dress. And show your arms and legs. It washes off so don’t wear it swimming or you will come out of the water a different colour. It slides on easily but you need to smooth it out so it looks streak free. Wash your hands tuite suite. Voila. Instant tan. Walk out the door.
Johnson’s Holiday Skin Body Lotion, $10 from Priceline, Chemists and Supermarkets.
This is for a subtle tan that builds up over a couple of days. It is a good old-fashioned classic moisturiser with a slight tanning gel so you can gradually build a tan. Great to use every day. There is no waiting for it to dry and you get a nice, glossy moisturised look. Plus it instantly dissolves cellulite and fat and your thighs will shrink right before your very eyes*.
*a complete lie.
Gap is getting into the Christmas spirit! See Jason Biggs, Selma Blair and Jason Heder perform Christmas Carols in these hilarious clips.
‘The latest Visionaire is taking to paper form for a change, but not just any old form. Entitled "Surprise," issue 55 contains twelve hardcover pop-up books with projects by Steven Meisel, Mario Testino, and Gareth Pugh, among others. Naomi Campbell is one of the featured subjects. The books are housed in a magnetic closure case with an engraved plaque. Take a look at the clip.’ Fabulous.
A Year in High Heels: The Girl’s Guide to Everything from Jane Austen to the A-list…by Camilla Morton
‘This is Morton’s follow-up to her debut book How to Walk in High Heels. From rocking red shoes in summer to perfecting your post holiday thank-you notes, A Year in High Heels is the ultimate style guide for all fashion-forward females. Camilla Morton has gathered together an eclectic collection of inspiring suggestions, sensible advice, and surprising how-tos to guide every glamour girl through the year—with witty, smart, and fun tips on how to walk the red carpet, curate an exhibition, blog your way to fame, spice up your public speaking, and make even the mundane magical.
Gisele Bündchen, Diane von Furstenberg, Matthew Williamson, and other fashion icons share secret tips on where to find inspiration. Filled with unique challenges and infinitely fun ideas, this is the guide to a guaranteed extraordinary year!
$11 Amazon.com Publisher: Harper Paperbacks
The Christmas List:
Style File: The World’s Most Elegantly Dressed…by Ike Ude
‘Iké Udé’s Style File is a remarkable volume that profiles more than 55 of the most influential arbiters of style in the world today. With a foreword by Valerie Steele this beautifully designed book provides an intimate perspective on these unique and influential men and women, offering frank insight to their views on fashion-and life-through evocative interviews and lush photography. Included among the many notable designers, artists, and public figures are John Galliano, Oscar de la Renta, Carolina Herrera, Isabel and Ruben Toledo, Victoire de Castellane, André Leon Talley, Dita Von Teese, Ute Lemper, Francesco Clemente, Christian Louboutin, Diane von Furstenberg, Lapo Elkann, Frédéric Malle, and many others. There are also evocative archival and portrait photography of fashion legends from Marchesa Casati to Diana Vreeland This comprehensive, gorgeous book is a rich exploration of personal style that belongs in every well-dressed library.’
$44 Amazon.com Publisher: Collins Design (October 2008)
True Religion Brand Jeans & 7 For All Mankind Fashion Clearance Up to 50% off
Suite 5, 119-133 McEvoy Street Alexandria ….to Sunday 30th Nov.
We love MNG. The store works in with the European seasons so they are always first with the trends and standout buys. Best picks are:
- The fabulously over-the-top black feather sleeveless v-neck dress.It has a skirt with layers of ruffles with black feathers, falling to above the knee. Feathers are hot. In fact they should be the item du jour. This dress is so right for the party season. Hope you have been invited to a few. Doesn’t matter: wear this at home alone with a cocktail and a mirror. $359
- The sexy-minexy LBD in a silky fabric with a halter neck that hooks up to drapey straps at the back. The back is low, and there are sequins down the side and in between the cleavage. If you have one. This is a party dress unless you work in bar. Wear with chunky bangles stacked up the arm. $159
- Check out the cute black lace LBD in silk satin with spaghetti straps, it comes in at the waist and has layers of ruffles. You must wear this with tough shoes or you will too frou-frou. Add some colour with a bag in red or glitter. $329
- In accessories check out the great range of belts and plastic cuffs in all different colours and sizes, from $29.
- There is a divine Burberry-esque big fat black bejewel necklace for about $69. Also comes in a dark navy. This was the Cheap but Chic from months ago and there are still a couple necklaces dying to go home with you. Also take the leather cuff with square watch-like jewel detail. The cuff is in blue leather with blue, pink and purple jewels. $79.
Head here for great casual little buys perfect for summer weekends. Best buys include:
- A cute little white cotton maxi dress with a triangle top, spaghetti straps and frills at the bottom. $89. Perfect for tossing on over a bikini, perfect for summer dressing. Wear with your jelly gladiators and a cute trilby. Oh sooo fashion darling. There is also a very beachy white maxi dress with spaghetti straps in a blue and pink floral pattern. Ruched at the bodice and it has a frill down the centre. $99
- Check out the navy blue and white pin stripe, high-waisted flirty skirt, $59. It has a tie around the waist and buttons down the front. Wear with a white tank and Marni necklaces. Wear with your cork white wedges. You can undo a few buttons and flash some leg. But please Not your Britney.
- Buy the white cotton, lace and crochet top with cap sleeves. It has a v-neck and an embroidered detail on the front. On sale for $25. We love a sale.
- Also check out the accessories: the scarves from $15, the gold skinny plaited belt, $17, and the black canvas bag with black and white horizontal stripes and a cotton handle. $25. You should try on the orange floppy straw hat with a brown tie. $25.
Lots of gorgeous navy and white in here this week. Best buys include:
- The Ikat navy and white print chiffon skirt …love this skirt worn with a structured blazer cinched in with a brown leather belt. Love this with something structured to offset the frou-frou soft skirt. $149
- Buy the long red maxi dress with a lace insert along the neckline, $129. You know how to wear this. You just put it on. Walk out the door.
- Checkout the cotton taupe tunic top with a big flower print in orange, $119. This top doesn’t need much watering. Those flowers need to be toned back and worn with skinny pants or jeans.
- You will notice that the navy and white star print blouse is very inspired by YSL, $139. Wear with irony not with stripes. Unless you are Texan.
- When it’s hot you will love wearing the tie-dye hippy print navy and white, sleeveless, loose tunic top. It’s easy dressing and will look great with red jeans or cute denim shorts and your stomp-a-licious heels. These will save it from looking too BoHo. Oh please NoNo. $119
- Feeling a little nautical but nice? Throw on the navy and white tee with a rope trim on the halter, $69. It sounds a little too cute but as if I would mention anything that was twee. As if.
- Adore the red patent sling-back, peep toe, cork wedges now on sale for $89, and I love the very Miu Miu-esque pink jewels sandals – you could say they are a copy – (yes that 4 letter word). With a T bar and brown leather they are gorgeous. Fabulous with skinny pants or a pretty dress. $139
Head here for lots of chic de la chic party dresses, and little black dresses…mostly short. Best picks include:
- Check out the drape pocket skirt, with a twisted waistband and a slight ‘bubble’ hem. in Light grey or black. Perfect with flats. It’s true there are some people who actually wear flat shoes. Pencil skirts can get scary with flats but a little tulip or bubble skirt and your fat white legs can take it. And if you don’t have fat white legs then why are you wearing this? Get into short shorts and then smile. Smugly. $190
- The gorgeous white silk, baby-doll, petal appliqué dress. High-neck with pleats coming from the neck. It has large white circles of silk on the front and down one side. You can wear white for a party. Especially in summer. I love the petals. They don’t need watering. They need vodka. Wear with silver metallic accessories or with black patent to add a tough edge. $484
- Love the silk tux halter-dress in beige. There are two sections to this dress; the underneath is a straight fitted skirt, and the overlay is a silk, flowing, draping halter neck with pieces of silk connecting at the back and draping down the back. If you get what I mean. Beige can be tricky to wear so make sure your skin colour doesn’t disappear when you try it on. Of course some people like to disappear at parties so this may be the dress for you. $517
- You want the black silk blouse with a tie-up collar. Sleeves to the elbow with a tie detail on each sleeve. So handy, so right, so shut up and wear it with jeans or a 50’s graphic skirt. Then take dictation. $260
- Buy the silk frilled shift dress in a white, fuchsia and grey techno print. It has white ruffles around the wide round neck and around the armholes, and a tie from the waist to the back with a bow. I think the techno print is so eighties it’s right again. They are easier to wear than florals. You can look like a grandma in over the top florals sometimes. Not your grandma, she is too chic, but someone else’s. Bless. $370
- If you are after a soft loose jacket, blouson style, then check out the silver grey silk jacket with soft hem. Like a tunic dress when it is done up; it has a high wide collar and large short sleeves, two pockets on the sides and has hidden buttons down the front. They are hiding because they are shy. This jacket is a great slouchy style that will want to be seen with skinny pants, or a narrow skirt. Anything with volume will make you look like the Michelin Man. (Hint: he is made of tyres). $462
You can’t go past Zimmerman for fabulous party dresses and cute little pieces for summer. Best picks include:
- A fabulous LBD with one shoulder in black lace. It comes in at the waist and has frills to about mid thigh length. Talk about all the trends in one dress: ruffles, lace, and one shoulder. This is a perfect little party dress. I mean the little dress not a little party. Although a little party could be good. Wear this with serious platforms and hosiery in a bright colour. $395
- Adore the black ribbon dress with a tulip skirt, capped sleeves…very structured and fifties. Almost Balenciaga-esque. It will fit like a glove. About $1200.
- Check out the short silk drape sundress in fuchsia, $350. It comes in at the waist, and has spaghetti straps, with a drape detail on the left hip. Also in black and red. Spaghetti straps are the only pasta you can go near this summer.
- Checkout the sequin pink kimono dress, $420, with gold sequins around the v-neck, around the bat-wing sleeves and along the hem. It has an Indian style yellow, cream, blue and green print trim. Gold? Sequins? Pink? Has FiFi gone mad? No it’s just the silly season. Hic.
Love this store. Great bags and shoes and cute clothes. My picks are:
- The simple round-toe ballet flats in patent black or red. They have a little string bow on the toe but I won’t hold that against them. $169
- The flat t-bar sandals with buttons, or black jet beads, or in red patent with wooden sole. $180
- There are also ballet flats in a faux snakeskin or in silver or gold metallic. $165
- In the bag department there is a fabulous little pink or red satin clutch, $95, and a chic de la chic black or brown two handle big oversized tote that is a great run-around all day bag. It has an outside zip and no obvious hardware. $500
- Buy the black sequin top with a chiffon back by Pascale Magali…fabulous. $260. Sequins are a hot trend right now and so wear them day or night, with jeans or chinos. Dress them down.
- Love the short-sleeve, black, terry towelling v-neck poncho dress. $95
The new winter collection is downstairs but upstairs you will find summer on sale (50% off) …Oooh lala.You want:
- The divine Celine choc brown almost leather clutch with a chain strap. Yes please. The chain is hot. You knew that because chain strap bags were the item du jour in The FiFi Report months ago. Celine is very stealth wealth and understated. No flashy bags in this downturn. Just a lot of botox for an upturn. $1650
- You know don’t you that the short bootie is still so so right for next winter? invest in the Marc by Marc Jacobs black bootie with a round toe and subtle blue piping. $680. You wear these with skirts and dresses. God forbid under jeans. That thought is terrifying. There may be FiFi Report readers doing that. It’s Ok, your secret is with me. Keep reading.
- Love the Diane Von Furstenberg black and navy suede and fabric sling-back sandal with a peep toe. Remember you can wear peep toes with black opaque hosiery. And a dress. It’s probably more socially acceptable than just panty hose. $480
- Love the Manolo Blahnik silver mirror finish sandals in patent with double strap sling back. One: because you maybe scared of stomping around in platforms (some people are, you know, be open minded), and two: because a mirror on your foot means easy access for checking makeup and re-applying lip gloss. $1090
- Now skip upstairs and die-Oh-my-god-I-die in shoe heaven. There is 50% off! A lot of the shoes may have left the building but check out the Donna Karen black suede shoe with a wooden detail heel. Sling-back and open toe, now only $335. The Michael Kors white leather strappy wedge, with a gold wedge. Now $310, down from $620. Yes please. And the Marc by Marc Jacobs yellow patent mule, with a gold heel and gold buckles. Now $320.
84 Queens St, Woollahra NSW. This is very luxurious. The fabrics are a dream, and the cuts are to die for. The new winter range has just been unpacked…lots of cashmere and fabulous puffer jackets. And with this cold snap I think we deserve some warming up…you must have:
- The divine soft cream bomber leather jacket with elastic at the bottom and on the sleeves. It has a high neck, and more elastic ruching horizontally on the body of the jacket, $4530. This is the only time you can indulge in cream. It has no calories except that it might pack the fat onto the black plastic. Wear with everything. Never take it off. Also in navy blue cotton. $1580
- The amazing Gunex for Brunello Cucinelli silver drape skirt, with a brown leather belt and pockets on the side. Just above knee length it is so beautiful. It does have its own little belt, which is nice. Love silver. It will lift all that dark black in your wardrobe and add a little light. Let there be light. $1050
- You will love the cotton/polyester/nylon stone jacket with brown marle sleeves and lining. The sleeves fold up and button, and there is a drawstring around the waist and pleated pockets. It is zip up, and is quite long. It’s a jacket that is still very sporty luxe. You might not be sporty but your wardrobe can be. It might get exhausting so I hope your wallet is fit. $675
- Love the beige suede crop jacket with covered studs, elastic sleeves and elastic around the waist. It has an extra piece of fabric along the hem so it looks as if there is another jacket underneath. Two jackets for the price of one (or 10). $4490
- You want the silk and grey marle jersey skirt with a band around the hip in grey marle. It has a leather drawstring with horizontal stitching, and a slightly draping hem with a slight bubble. It is in a geometric print of purple, brown, beige and cream. It’s very chic. Wear with a simple tee and your short boots. $965
Paul and Joe:
Love this store. The winter collection is in and you want the divine Pierre Cardin collection. Who cares if it’s hot outside? You will look fabulous. You want:
- The Paul and Joe Sista double-breasted red pea coat that has serious lining or padding so that you can feel warm. Buy this to wear in Paris or New York over Christmas. Buy this to wear in Melbourne in winter. Buy this just to look at it. $795
- Fall in love with the amazing silver blue / floral Lurex print tunic dress with short sleeves and pockets on the side, $2135. Divine.
- Love the black wool Melton coat with a Sherlock Holmes kind of cape across the shoulders. It is single-breasted with gold buttons and belted. Divine. Classic, and understated this is very parisienne. Wear it with jeans, or over a little black dress. Wear it over a pretty Dries print dress. $1595
- You want the Paul and Joe Sista royal blue cut away, halter-neck dress that has a drawstring high neckline and then drapes and hangs loosely to the knee. Divine. This is a dress to wear now. You can wear blue with black so don’t worry about that. Your black Givenchy heels will adore to be seen with this dress. Just dodge the paparazzi. $295
- Buy the simple classic understated grey marle top and knits and the perfect navy classic pants. $395
- Also love the shoes and bags …
Chilli and Lemongrass Chicken….adulterated from Donna Hay
This an easy to prepare little Christmas Canape. Whip it up before the party so you will have more time to work on your outfit …
You need for 16
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 stalks lemongrass, very finely chopped
2 large mild red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
500g chicken mince
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
about 4 lime leaves, finely sliced
16 witlof (Belgian endive) or baby cos (romaine) leaves
- Slip into your Gucci Kaftan.
- Keep wearing your gladiators.
- Put down the sword.
- Pour a little champagne.
- Start chopping and smashing the lemon grass. You may need the sword again.
- Now grate the ginger.
- Find a knife and fork and chop up the chilli. If you touch chilli and then apply your false eyelashes you will be hot. Not in a good way.
- Finely slice the lime leaves. Add more when you taste it if you need to.
- Juice the limes and find the fish sauce and sugar.
- Pour another champers. This is not the time to worry about calories. It’s too late.
- Heat a big frying pan and get it hot baby hot.
- Throw in the the oil, lemongrass, chilli and ginger and cook for about 1 minute.
- Smells gorgeous non?
- Toss in the mince and stir it til it’s cooked. Takes about 5 minutes.
- Now stir through the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and lime leaves.
- You can let it cool.
- Run the bath, light candles, drink more champers.
- Slip into fabulous Prada black dress, add Jimmy Choos, and earrings.
- Just before guests arrive ask the waiters to spoon the lemongrass chicken into the cute litte witlof leaves.
- Serve with a sprinkling of lime leaves and accessorized with a few little chic strips of red chilli.
- Eat, drink and be merry.