I see a lot of chic maxi dresses and paisley prints. Lots of flowy, hippy skirts. But don’t be afraid…the hippy is not trippy. Check out the Signature Range which is a little more chi chi with snazzier fabrics and only available in about 12 stores..…you want:
- The Signature Range Silk Harem Pants in indigo. Yes, that’s correct. I did say harem pants and Sussan in the same sentence. You see I told you they were an Item du Jour. These are cool, with elastic at the hip and ankle and with pockets at the side. Please wear with stomp-a-licious heels and not “I dream of Jeanie” Turkish slippers and bra top. $119
- The Signature Range long silk Maxi Dress in aqua blue and white tie-dye print, with a v-neck front and back and bat-wing short sleeves. Please remember that a maxi dress is strictly for the beach and not for the office. Unless you work as a pool instructor. Wear with flats. The only time your legs look good in flats is when they are covered with a maxi dress. $175
- The black round neck, knee length dress with vertical pleats and cute little frills around the bottom. It buttons down the front and ties around the waist. The little black dress is always right. Don’t be afraid of frills. Just keep it simple and straighten your hair. $99
- Buy the very flattering wide-leg linen pants with button detail down either side, very nautical but nice. Wear with gladiators and a tank. These are casual beach style pants so wear with a stripe tee. And hop on the yacht. In stone and black. $69
- Love the sleeveless kaftan in orange red and brown African-style print. Deep v-neck with a drawstring below the bust. It’s knee length so it covers the cellulite and liposuction scars. $59
- Buy the fabulous brightly coloured scarves in paisley, stripes, silk and cotton. From $19 to $39. Scarves are a great way to toss in a little colour and print without going crazy with the budget. Keep wearing the classic colours and then add a joosh (or is it ghoosh?) of colour with a scarf. Keep the wedges and hard edged heels. Think Balenciaga summer last season and wear with jodhpurs and a blazer.
- So Balmain; you want the Zebra print long cotton kaftan. Round neck and ¾ sleeves. Yes please. Its long and roomy and you could have a picnic under there. $79
- Necklace with strands of silver. Very Givenchy. $29. Wear with black. Too many necklaces with prints = hippy = scary. (Not scary but very Zen if you live in Byron Bay. And you don’t own a GHD.)
Lots of boho pieces, loads of ripped denim and fringed bags. Plenty of paisley prints floaty tops, and beads. I see a few jumpsuits or rompers or play suits. Not for anyone born before 1990. Unless you like to romp, play or jump. And you can stop yourself having a pee for hours on end. Best buys for the rest of us are:
- The cute denim skirt with large round cream buttons down the front and pockets on the side. $79. If French Vogue 50yr old Karine Roitfeld can wear a denim skirt there is hope for us all.
- Love the Minty Meets Monk Blazer. Black with a satin collar. You might meet Madonna. Love a blazer, love a tuxedo, love this with shorts and heels or with black satin leggings. Or with dark denim jeans and nothing underneath (the jacket not the jeans). $120
- You have the legs? Then you will adore the denim mini shorts in a variety of colours, beige, peach, pale purple, blue, denim, and check. From $49. Don’t have the legs? Wipe away the tears, put down that fried Mars Bar and head to e-bay; who knows they might sell skinny long legs there…
- Love the accessoires because they are ageless and everything is at very recessionista prices: you want the cuffs, the belts, the fabulous aviator sunglasses and the rings…
- If you are still after gladiators then head here. I love the gladiator flats here in a matte leather without any visible or outrageous silver or gold hardware. They have the double strap around the ankle but don’t worry you get used to the idea that it makes your legs look shorter. And then you love them. But then so did the Ancient Greeks and Romans. Chose from black matte, orange, blue or snakeskin. Or go for the hot pink (gasp! Is that the first time I have recommended something in hot pink? It’s ok they are on your feet).
- If you don’t want gladiators - and there are actually some people who don’t want to look like Romulus - then relax, you can be groovy this summer too . I promise. Buy the chic flat T-bar sandals here in orange or black and white with a silver disc on the front. Simple and understated. $139.
- Also love the white patent slouchy bag with a brown leather strap and trim. Ok it’s probably not leather but what do you want for $89? No one will know. Also in black. This is a chic de la chic bag.
Always great buys here. This week my favourite buys are:
- A black silk all in one jumpsuit. A jumpsuit was an Item du Jour early this year on The FiFi Report. That’s how fast we jump on a trend. And we know that when you read that you jump suited with joy and have been looking for one ever since. Very 70’s inspired; if you were dancing in one then you might not want to wear one now. But this one is chic. $189. Wear with heels not with a jack hammer. Or a parachute.
- Check out the very handy ruffle neck, wrap and tie cotton jersey pleat top in purple or stone. $89. This is table top dressing at its best. Throw back with basic skirts and pants from last season and keep the focus on your new top.
- Love the grey marle cotton jersey, pleated, V-neck dress with a gold and silver belt. This dress has been in store for a while and I have written about it before so, no, I don’t have drink-induced memory loss. Not yet anyway. Hic. I just want you to have it. It’s now on sale for $109. Tip: Ditch the gold/silver belt and add a black patent one. It’s a versatile dress because it’s a chic cut but the grey marle makes it casual. It’s so Grecian, Aristotle would love it.
- Buy the pretty paisley-print cami top in light blue, green and a little pink. The Russian boho paisley trend is lurking for next winter. You can wear this with stone chinos and chunky towering heels in brown. Or try it with harem pants and a jacket. It’s a little hippy so kill that side of it with strong edgy pieces. $119.
- Love the stone/caramel cotton short trench with brown leather buttons and epaulettes. About $89. The cropped trench jacket is a hot piece for next winter and so this is a great buy. Wear it now because it’s in a light cotton Wear it with a black pencil skirt and an orange tank. Or wear with cuffed short shorts. Wear it over a little black or floral dress.
- Love the silver T-bar sandals, gold gladiators and the small black chain link bag. $169.
Country Road: It’s looking so very summery here. You can find great party dresses or cute beach kaftans. My picks of the week are:
- Love the new-in-store white, tangerine or black kaftan tops with a drawstring under the boobs so that it floats prettily over all those baked potatoes still sitting on your tum-tum from winter. This is a great top for summer, not for the office. Throw it over your bikini and totter down to the beach. $79
- Adore the new very pretty navy and white chiffon print-stripe check wrap dress. It actually has a tiny little ribbon wrap and tie belt, which makes it very Grecian. $279. See more here of FiFi’s Global Nomad shoot on WhatsWhat on the Virtual Fitting Room
- You want the adorable cotton, navy and white Ikat (tie dye Indian style print) dress. It has shoe-string straps and is very 50’s with a full skirt. This is a lovely dress that ticks all the boxes. It’s flattering, casual and easy to wear. Just add a tan (from a bottle), your black wedges or gladiators and a tough belt. Remember: this season it’s about toughening up all the prettiness. Lady like Out. Warrior Woman In. Think Sarah Palin OUT. Michelle Obama IN.
- You want the silk ruffle sleeveless top in red, black or navy. Even cream. This top is seriously flattering. Scientific tests have proven it. I have tried it on many people. Everyone looks great in it whatever size or age. So don’t sneer and say I won’t wear loose ruffle tops. This one skims over bad bits, shows off the fabulous bits and looks fashion without looking boring. Or too dressy. $89. Wear with jeans, with a pencil skirt, with chinos. Wear with sexy mama shorts. Belt it in with a brown belt. Prada started the trend so it’s only polite to continue it.
- Love the blush pink almost flesh colour multi-pleat, ruffle, one shoulder dress. It’s a party dress. It’s a race-wear dress. Even if you are just racing to the fridge. You want to look fabulous.
- Love the accessories here. Buy the chunky Marni necklaces, the YSL-style heels and the denim beach totes.
A lot of silk pieces, but also a lot of tailored man-style pants and jackets. You want:
- You know denim is in. Why? Because I told you last week. So if you are groove-a-licious please buy the very cool denim harem pants with large drape pockets. For those of you with your own natural drape pockets on the side maybe these are not for you. These have the all important elastic around the hip and ankle. Note: the elastic is not around the waist. You want them in dark soft denim. $240. Wear with your Balmain jacket and a white tank…and those new Dior platforms.
- For those who want something a little more classic, I insist you have the wide-leg, high-waisted cream pants with a wide waistband and satin pocket detail (in a linen-viscose-spandex). So south-of-France in the 20s’ don’t you think? Wear with a cream tank, brown leather belt and gladiators. Throw on a paisley scarf from witchery around your neck and a big fat Givenchy style cuff from Diva slapped on your wrist. Add some aviators and you are go for launch. $329
- Love the silk ruffle mini dress with ruffle detail on the derriere. In a beige, red and blue floral print. $620. Yes, yes I hear ya sister: Who wants a ruffle on the derriere when you already have one in-built? But sometimes a ruffle can hide things. And anyway if you can wear a mini dress you can wear a ruffle mini dress. So shut up and put on black opaques.
- Buy the silk long ‘Waterfall’ dress (exclusive print), with a frilled halter neck and tie at the waist. It is in a pink and white floral print, or a yellow and white floral print. $900. This is for the party season. Or if you are Rachel Zoe and you wear it to go shopping.
- Adore the silk, pleat-ruffle, sheer, sleeveless shirt in black or white. It has ruffles around the armholes and around the neck, and it has small buttons down the front. Ruffles are a huge trend for summer and into next winter and you will love this. Keep the rest of the look simple and ruffle free. Add crème de la mer if you must. $275
- Buy the silk ‘Twist’ cami with a high, round neck that is twisted all around to the back. It’s low at the back and higher at the front. It has a bow on the left shoulder. Sounds complicated but it’s rather fabulous. You want it in off-white. You know that architectural cuts and pleating and twists are a big trend going into next season and this is a statement piece to wear with high-waist jeans or with your skinny black pants. $195
Very white and bright. It’s very fashion here…don’t just think "Tennis anyone?" Think "Tennis in a polka-dot tennis dress anyone?"… Best buys here include:
- The plaid high waisted, pleated shorts with wide waistband and button detail on either side. Black and white or blue and white. You want to wear these with a blazer and heels. A cute little pussy bow blouse with this will look right on. You want to wear these with long and toned, tanned legs. Or white toned legs. $499
- I love a trench. I am addicted to trench coats. I adore trench coats. I just wish it would rain. The best thing about this addiction? It doesn’t involve food. Just spending. You want the double breasted trench in red, white or black. Great cut, and quite lightweight. Yes please. $499
- The white cropped jacket with a ruched collar with a thick white rope knotted on the end. Very nautical, with a ¾ sleeve. $349. You can wear white if throw it back with brights. Or let me rephrase that. You can wear brights if you throw them back with white or stone. The cropped white jacket will work with orange and red, with jeans, with slouchy grey chinos. Just don’t dribble the Magnum down the front.
- Check out the cute aqua shirtdress with small white polka dots and a tie around the waist. It’s fresh, it’s chic, but wear with a tough belt. Spots are cool if you wear them with irony. And irony loves to go out. $249
- There are some great belts here: you want the thin double-sided woven belt – black on one side and white on the other, $179. And the wide elastic waist belt in red and white stripes with a red leather buckle detail. Try it in tan and black stripes with a tan leather buckle detail. $179. Love a stripe belt. Wear with a floral top for a bit of clash. Will love a clash. It looks like you are very fashion and eclectic and know what you are doing. Don’t worry your secret is with me.
Thank the lord I have returned to The Mothership. It’s important to refresh the fashion batteries from The Guru…To pay respects to she who must be obeyed.You want everything. Tip: Try not to be embarrassed when your little black plastic card keeps making crazy noises trying to escape from your wallet. Just smack it (or you will be by your bank manger).Drool over …
- The black lace collection from winter is here and it’s so divine…
- Love the black lace sleeveless sheath dress $$. Simple, straight and narrow and in the amazing guipure lace Prada showed over a light blue cotton shirt. Buy that too.
- Don’t want the dress? Are you insane? Then buy the black lace pencil skirt $$. And the black lace top.
- There are a few new black dresses that have just arrived in all sorts of shapes with exposed zips, with a flirty skirt, with ruffles from $2900. Next season it’s all about the black dress. Audrey will be pleased.
- Die for the black wool peacoat with a ruffle cascading down the front about $4000.
- Love the grey voluminous bomber jacket with a silver exposed zip in a stiff embossed fabric about $2800.
- I see divine petal platform heels in black about $700.
- You want the flat, square-toe ballet flats with elastic sides about $600.
- You want the grey glittery slouch bag with a silver chain handle. Gorgeous. $2700
- Drool over (but don’t make a noise) the big oversized silk/nylon, ruched/ruffle bag with black resin chain strap…Divine… $1900.
- Buy the small ruched leather shoulder bag with a black resin strap $2000. Superb.
- NB: The new Resort collection is being unpacked and going into the Mothership as we speak. Beam me up.
New Shop Alert New Shop Alert New Shop Alert New Shop Alert New Shop Alert
What a treat! Balmain! Thakoon! Opening Ceremony! Gorgeous clothes …where to start? Favourites include:
- Buy the amazing-to-die-for- I-want-to-kiss-it- I-am-having-a-Rachel-Zoe moment Balmain black lace dress. $1000
- You want the must have Balmain black harem pants as seen on the Editors of French Vogue $2500. You want them; you just don’t know you do. Then you will put them on and you will be instantly tres French. And skinny. But please put out that cigarette.
- I am in love with the Balmain black blazer…who needs a new car when you can wear this? It will last for years where as a car needs servicing and a lot of petrol, $3000. Wear the jacket over the Balmain white tank. $825
- Drool over the divine Balmain animal print black and white tank, $1275; wear this with those harem pants and the black blazer. Wear all day, all night. Sleep in this. Don’t eat in this (well you can’t afford to anyway).
- Adore the beautiful Thakoon grey cardigan with a sheer tuille overlay $$
- You want the amazing Thakoon red/orange burgundy scoop neck, cap sleeve sheath dress, about $6000.
- Buy the Opening Ceremony stone double-breasted trench: so chic because it has an interesting detail. A blue pleat frill that is attached to the hem and pokes out wanting attention and to be fawned over. It will swish as you walk. $1295
- Love the Opening Ceremony black lace skirt $320, the divine Richard Nicola navy blouse sheer chiffon $595 and The Opening Ceremony black cocoon double breasted pea coat $995. Now that is all you want for Christmas.
The sale continues so head here for fabulous shoes but I spy a few new bags in store…you want:
- The new Miu Miu oversized cream double handle tote about $1800. Love a cream bag because it will work in summer and winter. Spray it with leather and dirt protection before use. As you would your boyfriend.
- Buy the fabulous Miu Miu choc-brown bag with double straps, very structured, about $1800. This is a great size; it’s not too big - it still makes a statement but it’s not yelling.
- Love the black Luella almost doctors bag, very structured with silver zips and a big clasp at the front, about $2000. A black bag is a must buy and this is great because you can impersonate a Doctor if you wear with a white Jil Sander coat.
- The black Miu Miu double-handle tote with gold zip detail, about $1700. Don’t be afraid of wearing the gold zip details back with your Elsa Peretti silver cuff. You can wear gold with silver jewellery. I have just made that up but it’s now a rule. How modern.
Belinda…The winter collections have arrived in-store…heaven…Dries, Marni, Givenchy, Lanvin, Ann Demeulemeester…
Robbie Ingham…the sale continues in the MLC store…
David Jones…the new winter collections are in-store and the good news? YSL Rive Gauche is now available. Also Lanvin has left David Jones: the rumour is Lanvin is opening a Stand-alone store in Sydney.
Myer…The new winter collections are in-store including Narciso Rodriguez, Cacherel, Donna Karan and Victor and Rolf.