- "As the dramas unfold with each news bulletin, the international fashion season is looking like a metaphor for the state of the world: models on super-high heels tumbling in tandem with the markets; perforated materials to signal holes in the economy; some designers carrying on blithely as if nothing is happening; others trying to build a new geometry in aging edifices.Fashion Journalist Suzy Menkes, after the shows in Milan .International Herald Tribune
- Oh my God! How cute is John Mayer? In the old days, I’da snatched him up now I’m too tired." Whoopi Goldberg.
- "You can get into an elevator and actually pass gas, and people still won’t smell it." Jessica Simpson, on the wonders of her new perfume Fancy. She’s obviously tried it.
- "The more sexy you make yourself appear; the less sex you’ll have." Miuccia Prada… or just spray yourself with Jessica Simpson’s new fragrance.
- "Who knew John McCain and I would have something in common? We both chose female running mates." Ellen DeGeneres, comparing her wife Portia de Rossi with Sarah Palin.
- "I thought it was a joke, and then I started to cry" Lynne Spears when daughter 17 yr old Jamie Lynn revealed her pregnancy in a note.
- “I run four miles, seven days a week.I am eating more. I think you do eat more when you’re working out” Victoria Beckham. She is eating more …water. No joke.
- "David definitely spends much more money than I do. I don’t really go shopping any more." Victoria Beckham. Not much. Too busy eating.
- "When you have your BlackBerry taken away, it’s like the most painful thing ever." Paris Hilton, describing the most difficult part of her time spent in jail. EVER. She thought it was a joke, and then she started to cry.
- "They arrived back at New York at 1 a.m., but sans ( without) luggage. For fashion people, that’s worse than sitting on the runway for four hours without any snacks." - Style.com’s Nicole Phelps, on a Continental flight that kept THE front rows in Milan a little empty. Painful.
There is 50% off all the fabulous cashmere/ silk tops, cardigans, hoodies and V necks. Yes please!17 William St, Paddington. 9380 8030.
Mens and Womens Ready to Wear, Cashmere, leather goods and accessories.
30% off all Summer pieces and up to 60% off the classic Winter Collection.
64 Queen Street Woollahra - 9363 8833.
Samples and end of line stock from all of International Fashion Groups.
Brands such as 7 For All Man Kind, Leon Henry, True Religion, Paige Premium Denim, C&C California, Doma Leather, Rich and Skinny from 40% off.
From the 24th September every Wednesday to Saturday from 10am - 4pm.
Suite 5 / 119-133 McEvoy Street Alexandria. 8987 3400.
What: Chain strap bags
Why: Because a smaller shoulder bag suddenly looks new again after seasons of big, oversized bags. Because the retro Chanel look is back. Because who says the IT bag is over? Women NEED handbags. They are functional too you know.
Which: Look for bags with a leather and chain strap a la Chanel, or with a plastic or resin chain strap a la Balenciaga (above). Go for slouchy or structured , a shoulder bag or clutch.
Wear: With jeans, with pretty dresses, with slouchy man style pants. This is a bag that works anytime anywhere with anything. Sounds good to me.
Where: Economy Class: Nine West, Sportsgirl, Witchery
Business Class: Oroton, and Mimco
First Class: Bally, Chanel, Prada, Lanvin, Miu Miu, Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs
You nick out for an early morning run. Skanky hair, no makeup, hairy legs. This is a guarantee you will bump into one of your ex husbands.
Remedy? Apply Laser, a hat and the best new discovery. The Ella Baché sheer sun base foundation. I love it. It’s a lovely sheer cream foundation with broad-spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen. They say it “moisturises and protects skin from dehydration while providing natural looking make-up coverage” I say why slather yourself with expensive makeup to exercise? You need suncream plus you need to look fabulous. You never know who you might see (yourself in the mirror is a good start).
Available in 3 shades: Light-Beige, Medium-Beige and Dark-Beige.
$40 30ml Sunbase 30+ Foundation from Ella Baché.
GOOD CAUSE ALERT!
Kiehl’s Shop For A Cause initiative
from 11am – 3pm in the Kiehl’s Paddington Boutique.
This initiative will see all proceeds donated to RedKite – helping children and their families affected with childhood cancer.Throughout the day Kiehl’s ambassadors – Erika Heynatz, Marnie Skillings, Alex Dimitriades (who will also be DJing), Kate Ritchie and Maurice Terzini, will host the store.
- Gwyneth Paltrow has started her own lifestyle website: so far there’s only a message from the actress posted but she will be writing about fashion, recipes, books, shopping…wait?! Is she copying The FiFi Report? Gwyneth..you are 5 years too late… GOOP.com
- ‘The first painting by Kate Moss ( see the arty mess above left) is to be sold at auction will be offered by Lyon & Turnbull in London on Saturday. Artistic debut: Kate Moss’s self-portrait ‘Who needs blood when you’ve got lipstick?’ Painted in 2005-2006, it is a self-portrait in lipstick marked with her own lip prints and stains of her former boyfriend Pete Doherty’s blood. Estimated to fetch between £30,000 and £40,000, the painting is not signed, but is inscribed by Doherty "…reports style.com
- ‘The Spring 2009 Prada shoes created runway carnage yesterday — Yulia Kharlapanova flat-out fell, Jessica Stam stumbled, Katie Fogarty fell and then carried her shoes for the rest of the runway, one model — who looks to be Sigrid Agren — started out in the finale, then turned and went backstage — defeated. It’s all being blamed on the slippery socks the girls had to wear with their shoes, but at least the models weren’t the only ones in pain at Prada — apparently the audience had to sit on wooden blocks, providing some awkward undergarment-baring situations’. ..reports fashionologie
- ‘Viktor & Rolf have been longtime fans of Shalom Harlow — they used a huge print of her face as the backdrop for their Spring 2008 show, after all — and now, a year later, they’ve chosen her to be the one and only star of their online Spring 2009 show Oct. 2. She is scheduled to shoot all the looks in the Funny Face-themed collection early next week. ..reports theCUT
- Keira Knightley is reportedly in discussions to star in The Beautiful And The Damned, a film about author F Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda Sayme. The movie, which will be directed by The Notebook’s Nick Cassavetes, is due to begin production in April…reports glamourUK
- The 128-year-old German toy company Steiff has always been known for haute toys; this season the creator of the jointed teddy bear has gone literal by creating the brand’s first “haute couture” bear in the image of…Karl Lagerfeld. The plush alpaca bear is dressed by—and in homage to—the man himself, in K Karl Lagerfeld lacquered jeans, a wool jacket, a high-collar poplin shirt and black silk tie, and signature eyewear. A limited run of 2,500 models has just arrived in exclusive boutiques worldwide, including Colette in Paris and Neiman Marcus in the U.S. $1,500. from Steiff.com
- ‘Les Arts Decoratifs, in Paris, will curate an entire exhibit dedicated to Kate Moss: The Myth, next year."The Myth" refers to her advertising power"..reports WWD
- ‘ The first painting by Kate Moss ever to be sold at auction will be offered by Lyon & Turnbull in London on Saturday. Artistic debut: Kate Moss’s self-portrait ‘Who needs blood when you’ve got lipstick?’Painted in 2005-2006, it is a self-portrait in lipstick marked with her own lip prints and stains of her former boyfriend Pete Doherty’s blood. Estimated to fetch between £30,000 and £40,000, the painting is not signed, but is inscribed by Doherty "…reports style.com
- Tom Ford is putting the final pre-production touches on his directorial debut of the movie adaptation of Christopher Isherwood’s 1964 novel, A Single Man..reports WWD
- Just five days after showing her Spring 2009 Temperley collection in London, Alice Temperley gave birth to her first child, Fox London Temperley von Bennigsen Mackiewicz. Say that quickly. reports VogueUk
- Barneys creative director Simon Doonan and his partner of fourteen years,artist Jonathan Adler, tied the knot in San Francisco..bless…reports Fabsugar
- Christy Turlington licks her lips on the October 2008 Vogue Paris cover because she knows how delicious the magazine’s innards are..reports fashionologie
Head here to watch glamorous Gwyneth, Liz Hurley, and models Hilary Rhoda and Carolyn Murphy behind the scenes of the Estee Lauder shoot for Sensuous…(and many more behind the scenes shoots!).
- Tom Ford is on the cover of German Vanity Fair.
- Jo.Lo flaunts the latest Dolce Gabbana bag.
- Gwyneth Paltrow has 4 legs.
- George Michael was arrested for possession of crack cocaine in a public restroom. Again…(“Jesus, what the hell do London cops do all day? Look underneath restroom stalls for George Michael? Seriously, it’s either that, or he’s the world’s shittiest criminal. It’s almost like he locks himself in a stall then yells "Hey, I’m smoking crack in here!” says the superficial)
- Cliff Richard says he is not gay but his boyfriend is.
- Lindsay Lohan says she is gay and so is her girlfiend.
- Jamie Oliver and his wife Jools are expecting their third childUK. Not gay.
- Prime Minister Gordon Brown unveils a new tax on Smiling. (Botox will be popular)
- Natalie Portman and her boyfriend are over. Not smiling
- Kate Moss has split up again from boyfriend Jamie Hince – and this time it looks like for good. Or for bad.
- The World Meteorological Organization which determines the names of hurricanes is now switching to Muslim names because they have run out of Christian names for hurricanes…reports satirical site Thedailysquib.Laughing
- Britney Spears continues to try not look like a total trainwreck who shouldn’t be allowed near children.
- Sarah Palin’s team are considering dropping support man John McCain from the election contest.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo…by Stieg Larsson, Reg Keeland
‘Cases rarely come much colder than the decades-old disappearance of teen heiress Harriet Vanger from her family’s remote island retreat north of Stockholm, nor do fiction debuts hotter than this European bestseller by muckraking Swedish journalist Larsson. At once a strikingly original thriller and a vivisection of Sweden’s dirty not-so-little secrets (as suggested by its original title, Men Who Hate Women), this first of a trilogy introduces a provocatively odd couple: disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, and the multipierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander, a feral but vulnerable superhacker. Hired by octogenarian industrialist Henrik Vanger, who wants to find out what happened to his beloved great-niece before he dies, the duo gradually uncover a festering morass of familial corruption Larsson died in 2004, shortly after handing in the manuscripts for what will be his legacy….
“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is an utterly fresh political and journalistic thriller that is also intimate and moral. In spite of its dark unearthings Stieg Larsson has written a feast of a book, with central characters you will not forget.”–Michael Ondaatje
“Crime fiction has seldom needed to salute and mourn such a stellar talent as Larsson’s in the same breath.”–The Sunday Times
“The ballyhoo is fully justified…The novel scores on every front–character, story, atmosphere, and the translation.”–The Times
“This is a striking novel, full of passion, an evocative sense of place and subtle insights into venal, corrupt minds . . . The journalist and the hacker are ingenious creations.”–The Observer
“A blockbuster story . . . The plot is interesting and credible but above all the heroine is splendidly original . . . An extraordinary book.”–Literary Review
“An absorbing and idiosyncratic crime novel.”–Daily Mail
$14 Amazon.com Publisher: Knopf (September 16, 2008)
The Christmas List :
Vogue Fashion…. by Linda Watson
‘Published with Vogue magazine, Vogue Fashion is the definitive style bible for everyone interested in the past, present and future of fashion. It takes a fresh look at fashion history, charting the evolution from corsets to 21st-century trends. This stylish book chronicles all the significant designers, developments and movements of more than a hundred years of fashion — from the 1920s flapper through the war years, from Christian Dior’s New Look to the Swinging Sixties, from New Romanticism to punk to postmillenium styles. Vogue Fashion is an informative and inspirational look at how fashion reflects and projects social mores as well as individual values.’Chic.
$35 Amazon.com Publisher: Carlton Books Ltd; 2nd edition (June 2, 2008)
Smile. I have been working very hard at shopping this week so it is with great pleasure I present ….FiFi’s Favourite Finds (most under $50!).
• Supre: Head here for the very fabulous navy Balenciaga inspired blazer with white trim. It’s single breasted with 4 brass buttons… $80. Wear as Balenciaga showed it with stone jodhpurs/chinos and a white shirt. Throw on the hippy scarf (from Bardot) and the Velcro platform strappy heels (from Nine West ) and you have the look…Remember this look was shown on the runway in Paris in Feb, 2007! Sometimes the trends take a little longer to trickle through…Don’t panic the blazer is still right. That’s why Nicolas Ghesquière is a genius.
• Bardot: Love the fringed black and white scarf $39.95 and check out the chic plain straw or black straw trilby with no headband. Love it $49.
• Veronica Maine: Invest in the simple round crew neck Tee in black cotton with drape detail $45.
• Country Road: You want the Marni inspired blue/brown wooden disc necklaces with a patent leather ribbon $49.95.
• Diva: If you know how to wear Fierce chic a la Balenciaga (see photo) you will want the silver and pearl Bracelets $29. Also check out the wooden bracelets a la Marni $14.95 each and the red enamel bracelets $14.
• Just Jeans: head here for a simple tan brown leather belt …so very Miu Miu and Lanvin. You wear it pulled in tight over silk dresses, floral dresses and a blazer. $29. Also buy the simple cotton belts a la Marni with a silver flat buckle…Go for grey, red and white and it’s 2 for $15 or $9.95 each.
• Portmans: I spy some cool gold snakeskin flat gladiators $39.95. Yes. Please. (Throw these on and watch all you tired, sad outfits from last season injected with a bit of right now.)
Talk about cheap but chic central. Get in here for a lot of great budget pieces. You want:
• The black (or stone) silk (yes, silk in Cotton On) shirt dress is a fab buy…it has chic rolled up sleeves but is a little short for those who need coverage. Good for weekend dressing. $39.95.
• The flat gladiators are here and for $19 in silver, tan, black or white. I did not say in leather but what do you want for that price? Perfect for the beach you can wreck them with salt and sand and who cares. Don’t you just love throw away chic? ( I should apologies for encouraging people to buy and chuck. The planet does not like it).
• Buy the black chiffon pussy bow blouse with white stars a la YSL , cool $29.95. The blouse is a hot buy for next season too. These pussy bows are meant to be worn with irony. No, that is not a perfume or a style of jeans. It means you must wear it so you don’t look a secretary. Bless all secretaries. Take the serious out of it and tough it up to make it sexy. You don’t want to look stitched up. So wear with sexy mama short shorts, with skinny black pants, with red jeans, with leather.
• Love the wide stretchy elastic belts in black, red, khaki, blue with a completely leather buckle are fabulous and they are just $9.95. This is not a typo. Buy every colour. Perfect to wear with a pretty dress or over a boyfriend jacket to cinch in the waist (that you will have in a month after the diet).
• Also buy the trilby $39 and if you want short shorts or stripe Tees they are all here having a party.
Get in here for lots of fabulous - at a price - swimwear and summer dresses. Go straight past all that tacky hot pink (cheap colours and cheap fabrics = too cheap) and look at:
• The long cotton tiered maxi dress in very wide stripes with shoes string straps…it’s very similar to the one I spied in Armani Exchange. The stripes are in oranges, blues, greens and it’s very beachy $39.
• The swimwear is with worth looking at…plain in black or prints and bikini it’s all here. Put down that fried Mars Bar now….
• Buy the fabulous, ever so chic, you can’t believe it’s in target kaftan top in a blues, greens and white swirl paisley print with a deep V neckline…it’s short and just covers the croissants on the thighs. $39.
• Check out the white Indian embroidered kaftan top …same length $49.
• There is a very groovy one shoulder, ruffle chiffon dress that I am sure we have seen originally on Kate Moss…it’s waisted and then falls into a pretty full skirt. Admit it now you are a snob so rip out that label now and say it’s vintage…at $39 it’s cheaper than vintage.
• Now head to the shoe department. Loyal FiFi Report readers know the Drill: Hold your nose…breathing in too much plastic can be fatal. (Being found collapsed in the Target shoe department will also be fatal). So be quick and grab the fabulous Lanvin inspired black peeptoes with a tan wooden platform…$39.
• Also check out the beige and cream snakeskin sandals with a very Fendi esque cut out hole in the wedges. $39. At this price combined with all the money you have saved on not eating means you can now buy A MiuMiu bag.
• The denim short jumpsuit with a belt is for all those lovely girls born after 1990. $49. Bless. Wear now you will never have another chance. (Dolly Parton is an exception).
• The Prada dip die tie dye has arrived in Target….check out dip die silk halter dress that starts in black at the top and then bleeds into grey with a watermelon hem…chic ! There are also dip die cardigans looking so very Prada to wear with a fifities skirt $59
Lots of great shoes here this season:Best buys are the;
• Round toe ballet flats with a black patent strap across the toe with a gold buckle. Ballet flats are still happening this season and these are chic de la chic. Wear these with your jeans or to work. Remember with shoes this season it’s flat or seriously high so if you stagger around clumsily in pain in heels stick to flats or get a driver. The shoes are cheaper. $228.
• The black or stone peeptoe sling back platforms sandals are for those who want height without the foot bent up at a crazy angle…these are completely horizontal platforms so you have the chunky sole but not the awkward heel situation. $268.
• Buy the flat black patent sandals, very marni with 2 straps across the front $198.
•Checkout the very Balenciaga style black strappy heels called Lucia with a kind of plaited T bar on the front of the front $198. Groovy baby.
• Love the belts here too. Buy the black patent wide belt with a square buckle also in plain black $128 as well as the thin belts in great colours.
• Buy the black woven clutch with no hardware on the front, so very simple, so very plain, so very Bottega Veneta and stealth wealth.
Love all pinks and reds and oranges together. Those colours always look fabulous with stone and taupes. Best buys include:
• The stone wide leg pants with a cuff and a higher waist. So, so flattering they are good on the butt and then widen out into a bit of a Burberry esque flare. Buy in black too. $149.
• Love the cream with black with cream trim frill colour block shell $129.
• The black silk trench dress parachute dress is chic with epaulettes and button through. It’s casual so it’s perfect for warmer days when you want to wear a dress but don’t want to look too dressed up. $229.
• The camel skirt in a lovely gabardine fabric with a zip fly (like a jean) is gorgeous $169. Wear with bright colours to tone them down or with lovely browns and creams. This is a skirt to go through to next winter too. We love transeasonal. It means you get more wear out of your wardrobe. You can see this will work in cold weather with a black knit and leather jacket and those Balenciaga killer platforms.
• Love the trilby hat in straw $49…wear to the races, to the beach though I am not so sure on the sun protection but you will look fabulous.
• Also love the flat gladiators in tan or strawberry orange. $99. My feelings on gladiators? Buy them, love them, thrash them. Of course ignore the fact that they cut off your legs at the ankle and make them look shorter and fatter. You will get used it just like you got used to hipsters jean making your legs look ridiculously short and your waist look long and terribly out of proportion. People with short legs should never wear low cut jeans. Do we take that advice? No. So get into the gladiators you will love them.
• Buy the plain black patent double strap flat T bar sandals $99 and the fab simple flat sandals in great colours and the belts here are fabulous. In great red, stretchy, leather and plaited. In fact all the accessories are fab.
Simple and classic and there is also has a sale rack! Check out:
•The gunmetal sequin shrug…it’s very short and just slinks over the top of the shoulders. Wear this over a white Tee and with jeans. Not with anything glitzy unless your name is Liberace. Wear it over a little black dress..$199. It’s a stunner if you can carry it off (it’s not that heavy.) Ditch the gladiator heels or you will look like one…
• Buy the navy chiffon dress with wide ish bra safe straps, a V neck and a pretty cinched in waist $279.
• Everyone needs a boyfriend blazer….and a boyfriend. Or Two. He may be cute but you can‘t wear him all day and he won’t last another season…Whereas a blazer is at the very beginning of its fashion trajectory into cool-dom so you will get seasons of wear. You know shoulder pad are lurking and on their way back too because I told you. The blazer here in stone is chic $339.
•Invest in the black very Burberry esque coat dress; it’s double breasted with epaulettes and belted and so right for the office $269.
• Love the sale rack best buys there are the trench coats (Hello my name is FiFi and I am addicted to trench coats) …on sale short or long back or stone from about $279.
So many gorgeous shoes, bags, belts…best picks include:
• The fabulous grey slouch bag with wide pleats and an exposed top gold zip and gold ring detail ….about $1600. Also in simple matte black as well as in a square more structured shape.
• You want the divine black patent clutch with a cute little gold chain strap and a gold clasp.. $1000 also in stone python
• Drool over the beige python round toe pumps $1100
• Pray for a cold front and then buy the fabulous long to the knee black or grey suede round toe boots..
• All you need is the fabulously understated black or grey peeptoe heels. • Love the simple elastised black ballet flats with 2 gold rivets and a ribbon tie on the toe $595. Pain free walking.
• Buy the luxurious taupe double handle python slouch bag …for $7500…it has its own alarm!. Divine.
Salesalesalesalesale…rush rush in here for fabulous shoes and bags….Some pieces may have already left the building..
Best picks include:
• the chic Miu Miu red patent ankle strap sandals now $410
• the Miu Miu burgundy matelasse ruched slouch bag with gold hardware now $1300
• the Luella huge oversized camel bag now $995
• love the Miu Miu fabulous black jeweled thin belt now $495
• Buy the Helmut Lang black blouson jacket now $695
• You want the Chloe grey patent high cut shoe boot with a back zip ( as seen on the runway) now $665
• So many Marc Jacobs quirky shoes in great colours….
Prada Spring 2009 Show.…
Straight from the front row Style.com reports ..’Miuccia Prada had a sound bite for her Spring collection. "It’s primitive," she said, "going back to what counts." And what counts most in a back-to-basics time, when most of us will need truly visceral temptation to get us out and shopping? Why, glamour and eroticism, of course. When the chips are down, there is no one who can turn up the thermostat of subversive sexual provocation quite as high as Mrs. Prada. Her girls, their skin glistening as if on a fevered summer’s night, might have been passing through on their way to or from lovers’ assignations, their clothes disarranged in various states of falling-off or looking as if they might do so at any moment. Rumpled and crinkled fabrics have been appearing all over this season, but never with such sly intent. One pull of a trailing drawstring tape and, whoops! There was something fabulously Italian about all this shameless reveling in femininity. The fifties overtones, with the high chignons, the ruched bras, and swishing rear action in the below-knee pencil skirts, managed to channel the heyday of Cinecittà without cliché. Best of all, this is a collection destined to look even better on a woman with a real body than it does on a teen model. And that, Mrs. Prada surely knows, really is "what counts.". See an interview with UK Vogue Editor Alexander Shulman at the Prada Show…VogueUK does Prada
Pear and Almond Upside Down Cake…adulterated from Taste.com.au
This is a fabulously delicious cake full of butter and sugar. Divine!
You need for 2 fatties, 20 models and 8 civilised people:
180g brown sugar
270g unsalted butter, softened
4 ripe pears (such as beurre bosc)
300g caster sugar
1 2/3 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teasp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teasp ground nutmeg
80g ground almonds
1 cup buttermilk
more cream to serve!
- Kick off the Prada heels and slip into a chic little cooking outfit.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Peel and chop the pears so they are about the size of a Dior ring. Big chunks.
- Find a bowl and beat 80g of butter with the caster sugar till light and fluffy as George Michael. Takes about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating as you go. They love it.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and spices, and then fold (as you would a Chloe blouse) into the egg mixture with the ground almonds.
- Now pour in the buttermilk, and give it a mix so it makes a gooey smooth batter
- Moisterise a cake tin with lashings of butter and line the base with baking paper.
- Now here’s the thing: it’s an upside down cake so you begin by putting the top i.e the pears and sugar- in the bottom so start by sprinkling the remainder of brown sugar over the base.
- Melt the 100g butter and pour over it over the brown sugar in the cake tin. Yes that’s right directly into the cake tin.Don’t think about trying to get into skinny jeans at this moment.
- Grab the pears and layer over the sugar in a cute pattern.
- Now carefully pour the batter into the cake tin over the pears.
- Before you throw in the oven put the cake tin in a baking try because all the gooey batter can ooze out.
- Cook for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Hint: Cover it loosely with foil if cake begins to brown too quickly.
- When it’s cooked let it cool for about 20 mins and then run a knife around the sides so you can carefully turn it upside down to serve. This is tricky.
- Serve immediately with lashings of naughty but nice thick cream.
- Bow. Then accept Standing ovation and screams of adoration.