Giselle from W Magazine.
•"Talk to your children at least once a week . . . If you’ve got time, do it two or three times a week."– Will Ferrell to new mum Nicole Kidman.
•"The only thing I’m allergic to is criticism."– David Lee Roth, denying rumors that he is allergic to peanuts.
•"Believe me, if I had my way I would go around punching people."– Gisele Bündchen, on what she’d like to do to the paparazzi ( allergic).
•"Please tell me how to negotiate the ascending escalator at a Eurostar terminal in heels .. I will just have to wear something more manageable? I don’t think so…"- John Galliano allergic to flats
•"Smells like $250 million to me!"– JT bending down to sniff David Beckham’s famous feet. Stinking rich heels
•"He’s like walking crack in pants for the girls. It’s really weird."– Hairspray director on heartthrob Zac Efron….bum crack?
•"I’ve never been this excited with no pants on and my wife still sleeping!"– Deal or No Deal host Howie Mandel ( who?!) in being in bed when he received the news of his Emmy nomination..sleeping crack
•"Actors are basically drag queens. People will tell you they act because they want to heal mankind or, you know, explore the nature of the human psyche. Yes, maybe. But basically we just want to put on a frock and dance." Colin Firth wants to act in Galliano High heels. Or become Tom Cruise.
Giselle from W Magazine.
- You are wearing your Burberry Puffa and cute beanie.
- You are snuggling into your Chanel fur lined boots.
- You have a huge scarf wrapped ten times around your neck.
- You are at home.
- You have the heater on.
- You have the oven on.
- It’s still freezing.
- You need a quick warm up. You reach for the T2 Tea mug with it’s own little chic infuser and pop on the lid. You throw in the tea then pour in the water and brew.
- You remove the little basket and voila! – a great cup of tea for one and not a teapot in sight. Toss the lid back on to keep your tea piping hot. The great thing about this little dinky mug? You can swap the tea for Gin and Tonic. No-one will ever know.
$22 from T2 Tea.
Here’s a lovely way to own a little Louis Vuitton.
Invest in the 2008 edition of their fabulous City Guide. You”ll find it packed with all sorts of fabulous ideas to eat and shop and browse around 30 European cities. If you have 3 years and a million dollars to travel around Europe you can visit the 7,500 addresses, covering everything from food, fashion, arts and design. There are thousands of cool hotels, restaurants, cafés, art galleries, museums, shops to drool over….
And if you need a friend to tell you where to go then listen to the mp3 audio city guide by Louis Vuitton in partnership with Soundwalk. Go to louisvuittonsoundwalk.com and take a tour around Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai.
$125. On sale in Louis Vuitton stores world wide.
Here at the FiFi Report HQ we take our mascara very seriously. So we decided to roadtest a few to find the best…
• DiorShow Mascara, $45. Dior’s cult-fave, super volumizing, lengthening, and curling mascara. Creates the longest, thickest, curviest lashes ever, resulting in an ultra-glam “just- off- the- catwalk” look. This is our personal best.
• La Prairie Cellular Treatment Mascara Instant Curl, $75 from David Jones. Love it for the Luxe and if you can afford it you will not live without it
• The Make-up Store MAX Lashes Mascara Black, $30. It’s easy to apply, gives long lashes plus it’s easy to wash off.
• ModelCo Fat Lash Volumising Black Mascara, $34 at David Jones. WE love it! It’s smudge proof. Has a big ‘tubby’ brush gives long lashes.
• Giorgio Armani Soft Lash Mascara Naturel, $46. Moisturises and gives you the giving length and curl. Plus its velvety and luxurious.
• Rimmel Glam Eye’s Mascara, $18. Gives intense volume. Big time. A powder pink bristle brush (but ignore that!) with 2 short sides for application and 2 longer sides for separation. Very clever. They say it’s suitable for sensitive eyes. Good for crying in Prada.
• Shop on www.adorebeauty.com.au for Laura Mercier’s Mascara. They say it “never clumps, smudges, or flakes, even with several coats”. I say they are right. You can leave it on when you go to bed. George Clooney will appreciate it.
•Check out two fabulous stories in W of Christy Turlington and Gisele Bundchen in the W August 2008.
• See Ali Stephens’s in Chanel’s new Exceptionnel de Chanel mascara advertorial. She’s 17 Chanel means big things for this girl.
•Versace has signed an agreement with Africa Israel to renovate New York’s famous Clock Tower building. Donatella will design the 55 residential apartments, spa, club and common areas within the iconic building, which stands high and proud on Manhattan’s prestigious Madison Avenue.
• It’s Aussie model Sarah Stephens!!
•C’N'C Costume National cast its fall ‘08 campaign on MySpace.. reports fashionweekdaily.com
•Model Daria Werbowy may be on holidays but she’s working it on the cover Vogue Paris back after a month hiatus.
• Primal Scream has a pretty solid model history - lead singer Bobby Gillepsie’s married to super stylist Katy England which means getting Kate Moss into their video was nothing, though getting her to sing back-up was kind of a coup. But now the band’s taken to killing their model friends - or at least Lily Cole and Alice Dellal……reports fashionista…..
•Karl Lagerfeld is set to be the subject of a 53-minute documentary to air on France 5 in October including one-on-one interviews, shots of the Kaiser rolling up to important events, clips of him at fittings, etc.reports WWD
•Juergen Teller and his favorite model Mariacarla Boscono have collaborated again, this time for the Fall 2008 Pucci campaign. Reports fashionologie.
• Check out the Making of Longchamp Fall 2008 video with Kate Moss and Gaspard Ulliel.
•Burberry has announced plans to expand their line of kids’ clothes. They’re opening a special Burberry childrenswear retail space in Harrods based on their first Hong Kong store, which opened in April and is devoted entirely to the young tykes. Sure, the new space is all the way across the pond, but it’s probably only a matter of time before they find a space to fill entirely with plaid onesies on the Upper East Side. British Vogue reports.
•Nylon’s has launched a new internet initiative, with their own podcasts. The first one’s already up - a seriously skin-baring clip of Mischa Barton’s recent NYLON cover shoot. You will have to subscribe but it’s worth it…
• Josh Hartnett got a bicycle for his 30th birthday, but not just any bicycle. It was a gray Giorgio Armani two-wheeler with a handwritten note from the designer. And Armani gave him some diamonds, too, sort of….Hartnett is the face of the designer’s new men’s fragrance Diamonds for Men. WWD
• Carine Roitfeld put herself on the PETA hit list. In the August 2008issue of Vogue Paris, Carine styled a shoot shot by Mario Testinostarring a fur-draped Raquel Zimmermann… (left).
• Smythson of Bond Street has looked to the art world to create the latest edition to its ever-expanding collection of diaries. The 120-year-old London-based leather and luxury goods firm has collaborated with a host of acclaimed artists to launch its first series of art diaries. The art diaries will also be available as a non-limited edition in Smythson’s own leather covers, in a range of colors..reports WWD
•Matthew Broderick, husband of Jessica Parker, had an affair with a 25-year-old red head. She calls him “Matty Cakes” . What a crock. Everyone knows he’s gay.
•SJP had her mole removed. Husband will be next.
•Naomi Campbell refused to pay a $400 bill at a Russian hotel after allegedly burning its silk sheets. Burning love
•Christian Bale was arrested for attacking his mother and sister …”I guess Christian Bale learned the hard way that simply saying "I’m Batman" won’t automatically end every family argument’… reports thesuperficial.
•Salma Hayek isn’t marrying her billionaire anymore. Show me the $$.
•Enchanted star Amy Adams is engaged to boyfriend. Her boyfriend.
•Keira Knightley has named the second highest paid actress in Hollywood last year, just behind Cameron Diaz
•Mariah is still married to Nick . This week
•Baltazar getty is still kissing Sienna Miller. His wife is now very cranky. He will be removed.
•Jennifer Garner is now four months pregnant with another baby. At least we think it’s a baby.
•Did Angelina have IVF to get pregnant with the twins?
•Anne Hathaway has distanced herself from her ex-boyfriend con man Raffaello Follieri. Many believe she helped the FBI arrest him. But now she’s getting pulled into the investigation after her private journals were confiscated during a raid of Raffaelo’s apartment.…some excerpts "Approached by FBI agent today. Asked me if Raffaello knows the pope. I tell the agent, "No, but he likes to dress like him”. And “The sun BURNS. Raffaello confuses me for a lobster woman then attempts to seduce me. I now have doubts about our relationship”. Reports thesuperficial
•Michelle Williams is stepping out with Spike Jonze. Could be dating him.
•Kylie Minogue was in Harvey Nichols, and purchased a Kiehl’s Grapefruit Liquid Body Cleanser . - this is news.
•Anna Wintour’s daughter, Bee Shaffer, is party-hopping in Ibiza with Emma Watson (pictured above), the actress and Karl Lagerfeld muse is most famous either for wearing Chanel couture at 16 or starring in Harry Potter…reports fashionista
•Is Marc Jacobs marrying his 3 months boyfriend in Paris?
Muse by Susan Irvine
“It’s 1991 and Naomi Price, a young stylist on a magazine, which aspires to Vogue’s mantle, has been sent to Paris to oversee her first fashion shoot, Women who Mean Business. She’s overwhelmed by her inexperience, by the photographer, his assistants, and bewildered by the mysterious hotel receptionist, Eric, who writes her love poems.
“…MUSE has a remarkable gift of observation and feeling rendered in prose…dream-like and yet minutely precise…it heralds an enormous talent’” says Cressida Connelly.
$16 www.amazon.com Publisher: Quercus (7 Aug 2008)
The Christmas List:
Vanity Fair: The Portraits: A Century of Iconic Images
by Graydon Carter, David Friend, Christopher Hitchens
‘Vanity Fair: The Portraits brings together 300 iconic portraits from Vanity Fair’s 95-year history in a remarkable book that captures the image of modern fame—the magical thing that happens when individual talent and beauty (and sometimes genius) is caught in the spotlight of popular curiosity and passion. The photographers—from Edward Steichen and Cecil Beaton to Annie Leibovitz and Mario Testino—are a glittering and celebrated group themselves. Their portraits have become the iconic likenesses of the best-known figures from the worlds of art, film, music, sports, business, and politics.
$41 www.amazon.com Publisher: Abrams; 1 edition (September 10, 2008)
This week FiFi’s shopping has shrunk. Sorry. FiFi has been too busy shooting next summer’s Whatswhat campaign to get to the shops. I know. I am crying too. But wipe away your tears and think how much fun shopping will be next week (and the money you have saved).
• A gladiator sandal is a must for summer. But you knew that. Kate Moss has been wearing them for seasons. Now they have hit the big time and this summer the trend has peaked. This means don’t spend too much. Just buy and thrash them. So head here to Wittner and check out the fabulous black patent gladiators which climb right up the ankle to stop at mid calf. They are for people who have great legs. Or for people who can think they can carry it off. Wear with short full skirts or a slinky tunic dress. They will tranform anything daggy from last season to right now. They will add a bit of va va voom to plain black. They keep up with bright colours and graphic prints. Just pray it won’t rain. Sorry Mr Farmer. $149.
• So you are frowning at the idea of looking like Russell Crowe? Then ditch the high gladiators (and toga and beard)and slip into something simpler like the flat black patent gladiator sandals which finish on the ankle. Not for any one with cankles. Bless. $119
• Love the high heel black leather boot which covers the front and upper foot with a peep toe. Close your eyes. You are Gwyneth. ( don’t open them; you could get a fright) $149. Remember tough high cut shoe/ boots are THE shoe to wear for summer. As Gywneth has showed us many times.
• Check out the Valencia black cut out ankle boots: The toe is like a sandal but the upper front is closed in like a boot. $179. HINT: Tough platform heels with stop florals from looking nana, old lady, frumpy and quite frankly daggy. Ewwww. Tough black shoes will keep soft pretty chiffons from looking too soft and pretty. It’s about contrasting the soft and the hard. And it’s about being in love with shoes.
• You HAVE to have the square shaped bangles made of marbled acrylic and gold plated brass in blue or brown. Buy 3 and stack them up the arm. And check out the geometric faceted acrylic bangles with metal sides in purple, brown or clear - $99 Hint: lots of bangles means ditching the earrings and the necklace. Keep it simple. Keep it minimal. As Coco Chanel said “ before you go out the door look in the mirror and take one thing off “ Pity Britney took off the wrong thing. ( sorry: it’s an old FiFi Report joke but I thought new subscribers would like it). $99 each.
• Check out the Small cocoon bag in electric blue metallic which has a long strap and a spring loaded drawstring clasp so you don’t loose anything. How modern. It’s the perfect going out at night accessory. There’s room for all the essentials: mobile, lipstick, amex, Gin, valium..
• Love the black wet look nylon and PVC ’spacious’ Bag with detachable shoulder straps. Huge! It has two handy front pockets to stuff with lipgloss for easy access. It’s perfect for casual weekends away, traveling or just for the gym. $249.
• Love the tubular gold plated long brass bead necklace. Wear on its own for a low key day look but for evening layer them up and pile them on a la Givenchy $149.
The shoes and bags here are just getting more droolworthy by the week:
• You want, need, will sob over the Imra black patent open toe sling-back pumps. They have a super high heel trimmed with an enamel cream outline. The small clasp is in gold. Wear when in need of power. And feel the LOVE.
• You will adore the Eda cream platform pumps. Don’t worry, the 12cm heel is balanced by the high platform base. So they won’t hurt and you can wear them for at least 10 minutes. Just enough time to walk to the limo. Not for a rainy day except if you wear them with track pants and lie on the couch. You can then admire them for hours on end. Hint: if you wear cream heels your legs will look longer. Scientific tests have proved it. $620.
• Bally always have an amazing selection of fabulous belts. This week all you want is the grey suede belt with a tortoise shell and gold clasp. Wear it cinched in tight on the waist and keep everything else black. Then don’t eat. $495.
• An everyday must have bag is the Lioba grey suede tote. Buy the large size with round short handles and two gold links at the bottom. And thank the lord. $1695.
• Buy the Maltilde T-bar leather sandals in chocolate. Flat with a gold horse-bit ring at the T-bar $495. They are so right, so simple, so laid back luxe. So Ibiza. So right with a little black dress and a brown vintage bag. Throw on aviators. And think about summer.
• Before you leave I insist you have the black patent oversized clutch. $1025….it’s gorgeous. It’s a must have. Black patent goes with anything. And a Black clutch is the dernier cri. Your will have a dernier cri with no tears.
• It’s raining! it’s pouring!
It’s the best excuse I ever heard to buy the $245 wellies atBURBERRY129 KING STREETSYDNEYhttp://www.burberry.com/AboutBurberry/Stores.aspx
Pine Nut, Polenta and Rosemary Shortcake…adulterated from Cuisine.com.au
A most unusual moist, tangy cake. You cook it in a saucepan before you bake it. Very similar to a Clafoutis it’s not as sweet but just as delicious.
You need for 20 models, 8 yummy mummies or 4 big fat truck drivers:
140g instant polenta
11/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
125g caster sugar
60g pine nuts
180g dried figs
1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
115g plain flour
Icing sugar for accessorizing
- Turn on heater.
- Turn on oven to 200C.
- Throw on Burberry quilted down jacket. Rollup sleeves.
- Climb into rabbit fur lined socks.
- remove Gucci gloves
- Chop up the figs into small pieces about the size of the claps on a Jimmy Choo bag.
- Chop up the pine nuts a little.
- Find a 22cm cake tin. Same size as Vicky Beckham.
- Moisterise it with lashings of soft butter and then coat it with flour, tapping off excess flour. As you would powder blush on your makeup brush.
- Bring water to the boil in a saucepan big enough to take the cake ingredients.
- Add polenta in a steady stream to the water, and keep stirring so it thickens up.
- Turn the heat down to medium you don’t want to burn it.
- Now add the salt and olive oil to the watery goo.
- Keep stirring for about 30 seconds or until the goo starts to come away from the sides.
- Now toss in the sugar, pine nuts, figs, butter, one egg, rosemary and flour and mix it all up.
- Spoon it now into the cake tin and try to level it off with a knife or spatula so it has a flat top. Think application of a facemask.
- Throw in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- You know it’s cooked when the top crust and the sides are lovely and crunchy. Leave it longer in the oven if you have to (the centre will stay moist).
- Turn it onto a chic white serving platter.
- Accessorise with pretty icing sugar while it’s still hot so the sugar melts. And then later when the cake is completely cold. So it looks lovely.
- Perfect with a dollop of cream on a cold winter’s night.