- “You must have left your brain on the flight. You’re my assistant and that’s my bag. You should know this!"- Lindsay Lohan’s mom going nuts at her assistant at baggage claim. At least she has a brain…( Does Lindsay even have one?)
- "I don’t do underwear. I never do the washing. How would I know whether my clothes stink? I throw them away." Keith Richards does a Britney. He left his brain on a flight in 72.
- “I would refuse.” – Project Runway’s Tim Gunn, on what he would do if asked to makeover Britney. He doesn’t do underwear.
- “Do I look like I had 10 cheeseburgers or something?” Ashlee Simpson, when asked by Ellen DeGeneres if she was pregnant…. She will leave her brain on a flight very soon.
- “Well, I’m not anymore. I would like to be the face of Louis Vuitton. I am not, however. You know who is? Scarlett Johansson is the face of Louis Vuitton. Wrong interview.” George Gurley of Black Book mistakenly asked Christina Ricci, “What’s it like being the face of Louis Vuitton?”. He wishes he left himself on the flight.
- "I feel so embarrassed." - Miley Cyrus about a new set of (not so) provocative pictures in Vanity Fair (left)
OMG! Her back is showing! she wears underwear….
see Vanity Fair video here.
- "It’s a duchess satin stole, Champagne, specially made — I had several made for different photo shoots. I thought this one was really appropriate. It’s about 83 inches long. She’s not wrapped in something skimpy. She had her jeans on. She looked at the screen and loved the picture." Vanity Fair’s fashion and style director Michael Roberts objects to the calling Cyrus’ attire a bedsheet…
- “Medicine and a lot of alcohol.” – George Clooney, on the secret to a happy life …No underwear and a bedsheet too please.
Reasons to wear round sunglasses from Groove.
- You are sitting front row at fashion week.
- The glare is too bright.
- The clothes are too awful.
- The sutures are still in your eye job.
- Your botox is drooping.
- Your false eyelashes fell off one eye.
- You are asleep.
- You have spent all your money on your handbag.
- They are very Chanel (pictured) but just $15.
$15 Groove Accessories Round Perspex Sunglasses in blue or white.
Reasons to buy Givenchy Gladiator Jellies:
- Because you can’t get your Jimmy Choos wet.
- Because you can keep shopping for hours.
- Because you will be the same height as George Clooney.
- Because it’s easier to walk in a straight line in flat shoes. Hic.
- Because it’s the next best thing to feeling young (after botox).
- Because the gladiator sandal is THE item du jour for summer. And you want them NOW.
Givenchy Gladiator Jellies $220 at Evelyn Miles
Fashion Week means a lot of smooching (your handbag).
Fashion Week means a lot of smiling (at your shoes).
Fashion Week means a lot of snarling (at paparazzi).
Fashion Week means a lot of drinking (up the attention).
Fashion Week means a lot of eating (your words).
Fashion Week means you need Star Smile.
A Lipstick and Teeth whitener in one chic, little, silver pen.
Whip it out of the Birkin, and quickly run the whitening gel over your teeth. Then turn Star Smile around and re-apply your lipstick. Use the whitening gel 4 times a day and after a week your teeth will look brighter. Whiter. It even has a lovely, minty flavour.
Perfect for air kissing frenemies.
$46 ModelCo Star Smile from David Jones nationally.
Sift through the hilariously bad ensembles making appearances on the NY streets…but for some reason I think they all have some sort of style..Bless.
Google recently recruited 68 designers, artists, and musicians to “skin” their homepage, resulting in fabulous collaborations that everyone can click on. Check out the new Google Artist skins from Dolce + Gabbana, Phillipe Starck, Akira, Oscar de la Renta and Dinae Von Furstenburg. Chic
Bringing Home the Birkin: My Life in Hot Pursuit of the World’s Most Coveted Handbag….By Michael Tonello
‘The elusive Birkin bag made by Hermes is so sought after as a status symbol by women worldwide that the French fashion house has a two-year waiting list for potential owners - or does it? Michael Tonello, a beautician turned fashion buyer, says he devised a system to bypass the much-talked about list and spent five years travelling between different Hermes stores to snap up Birkin bags to meet - and profit from - this pent-up demand. Tonello said cracking the code let him to buy hundreds of Birkin bags and he is now adamant that the waiting list is just a fantastic marketing ploy.’ A fun read.
$18 www.amazon.com HarperCollins Publication date: July 2008
The Christmas List
Visionaire No. 54: Sport No.1 (Visionaire) (Board book) by Lacoste
After issues exploring the senses of touch, smell, taste and sound, Visionaire presents issue 54, Sport–its very first wearable publication. Using the most advanced printing technologies, Visionaire has produced full-coverage, full-color, photographically-printed Lacoste polo shirts featuring artwork by some of the world’s leading artists and photographers.
Sport is presented in four different sets, each containing three printed Lacoste polo shirts embedded within its pages–one small, one medium and one large–as well as a book featuring all 12 images.
This issue is produced in collaboration with Lacoste, currently celebrating its seventy-fifth anniversary. Each set sold separately.
$250 www.amazon.com Visionaire Publishing, LLC; Brdbk edition (June 1, 2008)
FiFi’s Favourite Finds of the Week:
- Sportsgirl burgundy velvet tuxedo jacket $129.95: Tailoring and velvet are big news for this winter and next. You want this jacket. It looks expensive.
- General Pants/ ‘Agent 99’ black poly biker jacket. Has the look of leather but can be washed. $99.
- Zac Posen for Target black long swing jacket. In twill synthetic with a quilted collar and small tabs at the waist. Very Burberry. Divine. $199.
- Sportsgirl grey matt leather tote with a long cross the body strap with a metallic silver pocket or black leather with a gold metallic pocket $179.
- Sambag (pictured) black or choc leather bomber jacket with a hood with tabs on the front shoulder and subtle black buttons. $430.
- French Connection grey cuffed pants $179. Wide leg, high waist. Very flattering.
- Witchery faux fur chubby. A must buy. $249.
- Marcs black short wool Melton Peacoat $359.
- Saba wool Melton black Harlem trench coat, double breasted belted and black buttons $599
- Zac Posen shift dress in black, red or chocolate this little number is a great wardrobe staple. It has cute little ruched panels on the shoulder and is perfect for day to evening. Remember a dress is easy to wear. Toss on black opaque tights, and show your arms. (C’mon they’re not so bad. Cover the muffin arms with fake tan) $99. Also it’s quite narrow so you can’t eat anything. But it’s fashion week so who does?
- Zac Posen wide lapel fitted jacket. You want a chic fitted black jacket this season. Tailoring is the word du jour and this one perfect fitted jacket for work and evening $169.
- Have a new all leather goods section. How clever. Thank you Sportsgirl. You want the taupe leather high waist paneled skirt $199. Why? Because a high waist will give you a waist. Make your legs look longer. Wear with brown or black, with a black tights, with a short jacket or a trench. NOT with a leather jacket unless you are going on a motorbike with George Clooney. (But who wants helmut hair?)
- Black leather black racer fingerless gloves; They are chic with pin holes and front strap $89. Wear with everything. They are not about keeping you warm. Except from feeling warm inside from being so fabulously chic.
- There are fabulous accessories from the Marni style bracelets to the floppy hats and sunglasses.
- You will love the black wide-sleeved jacket with a high collar; double breasted buttons and elasticised waistband. It has cute side pockets $229. If you feel to dressed up in tailoring the jacket looks just as chic with a pencil skirt , with a 50’s flared skirt or with grey slouchy pants. Wear over a simple knit in a colour like orange or classic grey.
- Buy the very Balenciaga Black jodphur pant with large front pockets and is slightly ballooned at the waist going down to a straight leg wit side buttons on the ankle. $129. Why? Because the balloon at the waist wil cover the balloon called your waist and hips. Because they are more interesting than plain old black pants. Wear a la Balenciaga with a fitted military jacket and a white shirt. Don’t wear with a biker jacket unless you are going on trip (see above). Wear with serious tough platform shoes. Don’t tuck into boots unless you are hopping on a horse. Or have a whip.
- The 100% silk black muti-layered frill skirt with silk satin waistband is chic (pictured left) $169. Very Chanel. The full frill skirt is very 80’s so wear it simple, chic, narrow tops. You don’t want to look like you are a ten tonne Bessie. By that I mean FAT. I am but I don’t want to look it.
- In accessories you want the cream leather saddle bag with adjustable cross body strap $249 and the black two handle tote with silver hardware $249. It looks very Prada and more expensive than the average bag.
- Check out the Very YSL-esque black platform heels with a thin ankle strap (pictured), a satin knot peeptoe and a thin heel. $130. They are called ‘Bourke’ but you can call them sexy. Wear these for day with narrow pants, with jeans or with a pencil skirt. Just don’t walk anywhere.
- Love the very sexy black patent platforms with thick straps and buckles on the toes extending right up to the ankle of the shoe $130. They are slightly bondage style. But hey that won’t hurt you. If you sit down. These are perfect to add a little modern edge to all your boring old clothes from seasons ago. Put these on and watch everything suddenly look right now.
- Buy the long flat black suede boot. Very plain, simple, chic. Walk, shop, run in these to buy more heels $240. Wear with a flared skirt. Not with a narrow skirt unless you are a model. Wear with a dress. Not under jeans or pants. Please. Just don’t. This is wrong.com.
- The best items here? A brown leather tailored blazer $169. Love it. Wear with all your black. Wear with cream, wear with orange. Wear with taupe. Wear to work with grey slouchy pants, with jeans for weekends, over a pretty dress for the evening.
- Buy the army green cotton twill hoodie with front zipper and cute fake fur around the hood $79. Handy for bad hair days. Handy for weekends. Wear with a pencil skirt and heels….
- Favourite piece here is the long black cotton-jersey maxi dress which ties at the neck with a snazzy necklace of knitted leather strands. The leather strand piece is fabulous. $249. The maxi dress is hot. Love it with boots. It falls right to the floor. This is a dress to wear out for dinner.
- You will adore the cream wool melton longline coat jacket (past the knee). Belted at the waist with a gold buckle it has an extended collar and opening straight down the front. Gorgeous $349. Wear over any colour. Wear with a dress that is the same length. Wear when you are playing with muddy puppies and feeding toddlers beetroot.
- Invest in the very cool dark denim stretch jeans with a high waist and panels on the waist $99. These are not for muffin tops, bottoms, or waists. Wear and watch as your legs look longer.
- Adore the plain black cotton twill le smoking blazer $199. A perfect little investment that you will wear for seasons to come. It’s the beginning of the tailoring cycle so buy up now and get years worth of dressing.
- Great buys here: Everything is in a lot of different fabrications and colours.
- Love the large red patent leather clutch (left) which also comes in cream suede and black patent. It’s an oversized envelope style clutch with a long over the shoulder chain strap $240.
- Also love the fabulous crushed leather large clutch in gold or silver with brass clasps $240. The oversized clutch is THE bag shape of the season. Remember it’s all about a statement bag.
- You want the fabulous ballet flats with three large black jewels at the front and the very Chanel-esque quilted ballet flat both gorgeous $165. Buy in all three colours tan, chocolate and black.
- Then buy the elasticised satin ballet flats with a jewel band on the toe in red, black or grey. $165. Think Alice in wonderland. Think you can walk in these. Think you shop all day. Without any pain. Except to wallet. But ignore the cries of pain coming from your bag.
- Love the fabulous and very sexy black patent boots with a high heel $250. if you want to do boots then go for shine. Think Puss in boots.
- In the clothing: The navy or charcoal wool duffle jacket is gorgeous with a hood and wide square pockets $320. Love all the cardigans in cream or navy $700. On your way out I insist you grab the peony scented candle $50. Then pay for it.
The PR Store:
- A fabulous new store (236a Riley Street, Surry Hills) where you will find labels such as Preen (UK), Future Classics (UK) Burfit (FR), Mawi (UK jewellery), Mini Market (SWE). It’s the best of UK, Paris and the US for a quirky cool labels.
- Love the Future Classics lace leggings in yellow, brown or mocha $280. Wear with the blue silk marbled spill print dress with a panelled tee top and double frill on the hem $990. Very 80’s London.
- The future classics black silk and hand beaded dress is beautiful $1360. Wear for a date with George Clooney. Wear with black opaques and heels. Wear with a big smile.
- Adore the ‘Post Debutante’ pointy flat brocade black patent shoes (designed by the store owners).
- Love the Mini Market black fleece hooded jacket with large square pockets and studs. Wear it with the Future classics button front slingback tights. They have the heel cut-out so you may wear slingbacks – how thoughtful.
- You must buy up the Mawi jewellery. Amazing. It is medieval? Me thinks it’s quite Egyptian. Love the thick rose gold short chain necklace with multiple drops of large wine jewels. Amazing. (pictured left). More arriving in the next couple of weeks. www.mawi.co.uk
- This is a new store for men and women opened in Sydney (T2 Verona street, Paddington, Sydney www.assin.com.au) stocking fabulous designers such as Dior (coming in 2weeks), Rick Owens, Ann Demeulemeester and Veronique Branquinho. There is also Haider Ackermann, Junya Watanabe and Martin Margiela
- Best buys include:
- An amazing Veronique Branquinho cream leather bomber $3510; and a sensational Black stretch dress with wings $890.
- Rick Owens incredible brown leather bomber jacket with jersey insert underneath the arm $3180; and black eel shrug $4000 (yes correct $4000, not a typo) and a divine silk chiffon blouson $2400.
- There is an adorable Rick Owens draped cement sleeveless dress $2580 (like Comme des garcons) and chic cement sleeveless dress with jersey insert at the neck and silk inserts $1600. Buy the Rick Owens Dark grey leather bomber jacket with two curved zippers on the waist $6000. In fact buy two.
- Also you want the Assin black zip front leather jacket with a zip off hood $1200: (a collaboration with Claude Maus).
- Love the Assin (own label) has a stripy ribbed high neck singlet $290, and Lanvin (mens) silk rose brooch’s in blue purple or green $400. For girls too.
- There is one, just one, Martin Margiela extra, extra long - more than a metre- black leather glove….
- Love this store: it’s on a par with Scanlan and Theodore but it’s more of a secret. Best buys are:
- A divine black or choc brown wool melton jacket, very Chanel style with no buttons and a round neckline and no collar $295. Perfect with all the new high waist skirts and pants you are now wearing. Wear over a tee, over a grey rib round neck sweater. Over a chic dress. it’s not too heavy or winery so it’s perfect for trans seasonal dressing.
- Sheer chiffon Floral trapeze dress with black jet trim on the shoulder $686. In a very soft and pretty burgundy green almost paisley print this dress is gorgeous. Wear with black opaques (have you got that message yet?) and heels under a trench, a coat, a leather jacket. Try a metallicus sheet black long sleeve Tee if you want more coverage.
- Dark navy or black chiffon dress with pretty 3/4 puff sleeves and sheer round high neckline $595. You want this dress if you want arm coverage or if you want a more wintery dress which isn’t a knit. So pretty it’s almost empire so drops straight from below the boobs. But it skims over lumps and muffins and croissants. Wear with tights and heels, this is THE dress to go from day to evening.
- A Silver grey, loose, short sleeve tee top $200…Wear this over a black or red/orange sweater. Wear it with all your basic black bottoms. But make sure they are narrow as this top is voluminous and you don’t want to look fat. Especially during fashion week.
- New Marc by Marc Jacobs …Just arrived in WBJ. Best buys include;
- Cream silk drawstring halter top with a black ribbon trim $379: wear with everything from jeans, skinny black pants and full skirt in a print.
- Black knit long line belted rib cardigan with gold buttons on cuff $599…Wear over a sheath dress for work, wear with short boots and opaques, wear over nothing except Chanel 19 on a Sunday morning.
- Black wool double breasted melton coat (pictured) $999…All you need for winter ..this is chic de la chic.
- Black knit poloneck sweater with a zip at the back in gold and gold button detail on the front $500. You want this to razz a tired wardrobe. To look chic without trying. You want this because the gold will match your new Bally shoes.
- The blue summery sleeveless cotton dress $599…Good for your holiday in St Tropez.
- Best buys here include an (Hermes-like) orange tefal coated cotton swing coat. It is absolutely gorgeous with wide arms and brown leather buttons on the front pockets $1760. Orange is the big colour for next season and this is the injection you need.
- Love the tote (much like the YSL downtown tote) in orange or mulberry. So clever, so chic, so handy: the bottom section can be zipped off and another leather bag inside for your laptop. Tres, Tres, Tres Chic. $2540. You want a bag in a colour to add personality, to add a bit of zing. Plus you can spot easily in your wardrobe.
- Checkout the Cotton and silk blend crochet dress in matte gold. Sleeveless with a high neck it’s perfect for anyone wanting to make a statement….wear it with black heels and hosiery to tame it down. Wear it under a trench. Wear it work. Only kidding. $1295
- So many gorgeous new bags and fabulous new shoes: You want it all. Great prices for fabulous quality.Best buys in shoes are:
- the Python and rope sling back wedge heels $995; a fabulous brown suede wedge with a gold buckle $595 and very chic wooden wedge rope sling back sandals $595.
- Off for a trip to Barts? You must have the choc brown leather T bar flat toe thongs with chic studs and cork sole $795
- The ballets flats with a bow are perfect in black silver or gold. $450.Beautiful leather you will wear them forever.
- You must have the simple brown and cream Python pumps or the chic de la chic black patent pumps $490
- The Black patent sling backs with a platform and snazzy cone heel with gold trim are seriously glam.
- In the boot department buy the round toe choc brown or camel boots with a chunky heel $990.
- In bags drool over the taupe and cream Python clutch $2600, the orange patent over sized slouchy bag with tortoiseshell chain link strap. Also in brown. $1500 and the black patent structured doctors bag with gold zips about $1600.
Spicy Barramundi with Moroccan Herb salad and Mash (or Couscous).
Why not dig into something hot and spicy on a cold winter’s night? This is sensational with lots of creamy mash potato (but isn’t everything?).
You need for 4 fashionista gourmandes, 30 models or 2 big fat men:
2 tabs ground cumin
2 teasp ground coriander
2 teasp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 teasp dried chilli flakes
1/2 cup plain flour
Canola oil, for deep-frying
4 barramundi cutlets
Lemon pieces for accesorizing
2 tbsp drained capers, chopped
1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
1 small bunch coriander leaves roughly chopped
1 lemon, zest finely grated, plus segments from 1 lemon, coarsely chopped
4 spring onions, sliced chicly diagonally
2 tsp finely chopped preserved lemon rind.
- Pour a wine.
- Climb out of new black Lanvin silk dress with long, poets sleeves.
- Remove Marni bangles.
- Remove platform Balenciaga gladiator boots. Breathe in the air on the lower altitude.
- Put on Dior Pyjamas. Black of course.
- Find a large zip lock plastic bag. One that can fit 4 fish cutlets. This is the easy way to flour the fish without covering the kitchen with white powder. Your friends may get suspicious.
- Throw the cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and flour in the plastic bag.
- Give it a good shake to mix it.
- Pour another wine. It’s very good for you. Fashion week is very stressful.
- Now toss the fish in the plastic bag and shake gently to coat. This means cover the fish with the flour. Not with your Burberry trench coat.
- Make the salad now: This is very tricky. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Toss with vinaigrette.
- Now is a good time to make the creamy mash potato. If you don’t know how to delegate this task to George Clooney or other metrosexual lurking close by.
- Now fish out the fish from the bag.
- Shake off any excess spicy flour. From yourself. And the fish.
- Heat the naughty fattening oil to about 180C in a large saucepan or fry pan.
- Lower the Fish carefully in the hot oil so you don’t splash your Dior PJ’S.
- Cook for about 5 minutes. Until it’s cooked and as golden as Beyonce.
- Pour another wine. Call AA tomorrow (If you remember).
- Serve the spicy, crispy fish so it’s relaxing back luxuriating on a soft ,creamy bed of mash and accessorised with the green and lemony herb salad.
- Chic! Delicious! Healthy! ish!