- CondeNast has revealed that it will fold House & Garden with theDecember issue and shut down its Web site, houseandgarden.com. Aspokeswoman for Condé Nast confirmed the closure. The January issueproduced by guest editor Murray Moss will never be published. Thecopies of it will become collector’s items….
- It’s time for the world’s luxury houses to gear up for another round of glamorous ad campaigns as the spring/summer 2008 collections wrap up. And this time round it’s a case of supermodel musical chairs with YSL star Gisele Bündchen and current Versace muse Kate Moss switching roles for spring. Staying in the hot seat at Dior is Jessica Stam, this season joined by Coco Rocha and as yet unnamed Polish up-and-comer. Marc Jacobs is rumoured to have asked Victoria Beckham to star in his latest campaign shot by Jurgen Teller, we can’t wait to see the results of that photo shoot! Meanwhile at Balenciaga, Nicolas Ghesquière has enlisted the help of a famous fan, with Oscar winning actress Jennifer Connelly modelling the house’s futuristic floral designs. WWD
- Ralph Lauren joined the ever–evolving green movement and introduced Lauren Spa, the company’s first organic bath towels and bed linens. The line is certified organic and sustainable, from the growth of the cotton crops down to the little hanging tag on the sheets’ and towels’ packaging. Elle.com
- Louis Vuitton is continuing its tradition of supporting the fine arts by calling on up–and–comers from the preeminent Central Saint Martins in London. The company enlisted design students to submit their visions for the perfect holiday windows, and the winning project, Latitude 48.914/Longitude 02.286, will go on display this week at all 370 of Louis Vuitton’s stores. Winners Christopher Lawson and Marcos Villalba, both second year graphic design students, got the name for their natural wood design from the exact coordinates of Vuitton’s historic headquarters in Asnières. The point serves as the start of an imaginary journey, and the abstract map created by the wood contours is meant to inspire the traveler to unknown destinations. Elle.com
- Long haul flights just got a whole lot more tolerable. Virgin Atlantic has teamed up with NETAPORTER.COM to launch a service allowing its upper class passengers to order online before take-off – and have their purchases delivered free to the destination ahead of their arrival. WWD
- Ritz Paris has teamed up with Emanuel Ungaro to make its guests even more comfortable during their stay this winter. Anyone checking in between December 1 2007 and March 31 2008 for a minimum of two nights will receive an exclusive Ungaro travel mask in purple silk and authentic mink.
- In an ideal world, vintage shopping means unearthing gorgeous treasures and finding one-of-a-kind pieces. In the real world, it is just as often about dust and disappointment. Bag Borrow or Steal, the Netflix of luxury goods, is now making the process more thrill, less hunt. The website has just rolled out a vintage collection, complete with classic offerings from Chanel, Hermès, and Gucci, available on loan for as long as you like. The prices start as low as US$50 a week, all the way up to US$1,600 a week for a crocodile Hermès Birkin bag. Elle.com
- Pierre Hardy, who designs shoes for Balenciaga and Hermes as well as for his eponymous label, has signed up to design a capsule collection for the American brand Gap. Available only in UK and European stores so far, the collection features men’s and women’s shoes.” And prices that start from only $125, you better be quick to step to it. WWD
- Azzedine Alaïa, Chanel, Miuccia Prada and Kris Van Assche are among 40 altruistic designers and brands who have created teddy bears for the children’s charity Action Innocence. The one-of-a-kind bears, which will be on display at Galeries Lafayette in Paris from Nov. 26, will go under the hammer on Dec. 1. WWD
- House of Ossie Clark is back in action. Marc Worth, founder of WGSN, will relaunch the brand in February at London Fashion Week, according to a spokesman. The Ossie Clark creative team includes Avsh Alom Gur, who has worked at Donna Karan, Roberto Cavalli, Chloé, and Nicole Farhi. Clark’s heyday was the Sixties and early Seventies, and he was best known for his tailoring, which was often coupled with romantic prints by his then-wife Celia Birtwell. WWD
- Cate Blanchet has become the global brand ambassador for luxury Japan-based skincare range SK II. The Oscar-winning actress, who was already the face of the brand in her native Australia, will feature in the forthcoming SK II ad campaign in the US, Canada, UK and Spain. WWD
- Britney Spears’ people have found a new excuse for her botched drug tests after the her Provigil claim was debunked. They’re blaming her inhaler. Other items that will be blamed for Britney’s failed drug test: Vick’s Vapo-Rub. Voodoo. John Stamos. An apple. And Flintstone’s Chewable Vitamins’….reports the superficial
- Paris Hilton prepped for her African sojourn …..with a spin as a Pole dancer at Club Marquee in New York ..reports Jezebel.
- Britney Spears reportedly had some clandestine liposuction done on her hips and ass. I saw the VMAs. This cannot betrue…..reports thesuperfical
- ‘The Scarf, The Slouch, The Boots. Yup, It’s Mary-Kate!’ ….reports Jezebel
- Britney says she has Atttention Deficit Disorder. I must agree.
- Amy Winehouse visited her husband for the first time in prison. Amy was looking “visibly distraught” during the visit, according to the Daily Mail: Question: How the hell can you make a comment that Amy Winehouse looks visibly distraught? As opposed to what? Looking visibly cracked out? Visibly drunk off her ass? Visibly suicidally thin?’ Reports thesuperficial
- Jake Gyllenhaaland Reese Witherspoon were seen publicly canoodling. Then Jake Gyllenhaal took a break from Reese to just walk around looking hot…reports pinkisthenewblog
- Lindsay Lohan went to jail and checked out 84 minutes later…. Enough time for a gin and tonic.
- Kate Middleton has quit her job as an accessories buyer for fashion chain Jigsaw, fuelling rumours of an imminent royal engagement….
- Xtina Augilera decided to wear every bit of make-up that she owns entirely on her face: People always talk about the dangers of smoking and drinking while women are pregs but I think something has to be said about the dangers of wearing too much make-up. If Xtina doesn’t tone down the all that rouge, mascara and foundation her baby is going to be born looking like THIS’ (picture left).
- Lord have mercy.You could build a house on Hugh Jackman’s chest. Small children could get lost in all that chest hair..says pinkisthenewblog
- An Ethiopian adoption agency has come out in support of Angelina Jolie over claims the family of her daughter Zahara want the child back.
- Julianne Moore has written a semi-autobiographical children’s book Freckleface Strawberry.
- Is Kate Hudson dating Heath Ledger?
- Grey’s Anatomy star Ellen Pompeoo has married fiance Chris Ivery in a low-key ceremony in New York.
- Harvey Weinstein is to wed Marchessa designer girlfriend Georgina Chapman.
- Mandy Moore and Mathew Perry were seen kissing and cuddling.
- Boy George has been officially charged by Scotland Yard for false imprisonment of a 28-year-old man.(He chained him up then made him him clean his oven.)
- Kate Hudson laughed off reports of a romance with Heath Ledger. Haha.
- Britney Spears ran over another foot.
- Paris Hilton has urged end to binge-drinking elephants (meaning Britney?).
- Lori Berk, a publicist for Hilton, said "she (Hilton) never made any coments about helping drunken elefants in India". Just about drunken Lindsay Lohen.
Away: A Novel by Amy Bloom
‘Life is no party for Lillian Leyb, the 22-year-old Jewish immigrant protagonist of Bloom’s outstanding fifth novel: her husband and parents were killed in a Russian pogrom, and the same violent episode separated her from her three-year-old daughter, Sophie. Arriving in New York in 1924, Lillian dreams of Sophie, and after five weeks in America, barely speaking English, she outmaneuvers a line of applicants for a seamstress job at the Goldfadn Yiddish Theatre, where she becomes the mistress of both handsome lead actor Meyer Burstein and his very connected father, Reuben. Her only friend in New York, tailor/actor/playwright Yaakov Shimmelman, gives her a thesaurus and coaches her on American culture. In a last, loving, gesture, Yaakov secures Lillian passage out of New York to begin her quest to find Sophie. The journey—through Chicago by train, into Seattle’s African-American underworld and across the Alaskan wilderness—elevates Bloom’s novel from familiar immigrant chronicle to sweeping saga of endurance and rebirth. Encompassing prison, prostitution and poetry, Yiddish humor and Yukon settings, Bloom’s tale offers linguistic twists, startling imagery, sharp wit and a compelling vision of the past. Bloom has created an extraordinary range of characters, settings and emotions’. Absolutely stunning!
$16 www.amazon.com Publisher:Random House; 1 edition (August 21, 2007)
Economy Class….Executive FiFi Fashion Editor Kirsten Reports
Equip have a fabulous overstated flower pendant in a round silver cutout design $12.99. Or check out the Marni style thick beaded necklace for $24. You save the $600 from the original which means you may buy those Miu Miu Shoes. Please buy their Johnny wayfarer sunglasses for only $19.99. Cool. Love the straw trilby $17.99 and jewelled sandals $24.99. Buy their thin belt in various colours for $9.99 and a thick gold ring $9.95. Then head straight to Prada and take a big deep breathe and inhale the smell of quality.
Target is just getting better and better. Bless. Executive FiFi Fashion Editor Kirsten reports that great buy is the snazzy Metallic dress with bow on the front $49.99; the cute white cotton dress with pockets and a full skirt $49.99 or the classic man style brown casual pant $44. This is cheap but chic central. There is even a silk purple layer dress $49.99.Correct. Silk. Please buy the chic linen shorts in brown or white $39.99 and the white peasant dress $39.99. Love the very French looking navy striped and red stripe bikinis. For $39.99 you can wear them, love them, thrash them and then retire them. At the accessories counter you can even find the copy of the Chanel Cabass bag for an outrageous $39.99! What the? Or buy the Michelle stone hobo in black or white with studs bag $39.99. Tres chic! Whip out the Marc Jacobs wallet and $15.99 to buy you the pink green or black wedges. This is not a typo. I promise. Can hot shoes really be only $15? Is that legal? Love the black or white espadrille $39.99 and the fabulous gold pleather coverse-like sneaker $24.99. Now head to Belinda to recover and spend all that money you saved on that Pierre hardy bag you were drooling over.
There seems to be a new shipment in here and so many fabulous buys. If you look like FiFi executive fashion editor Kirsten with fab legs you will love the high waisted shorts: She says they are the best she has seen for a long, long time. (that would be 2 months in fashion). They are come in a light blue, almost thick chambray and are a great cut $59.95. Wear them with a plain knit tee $35 in grey and cream. For $29.95 you must have the jersey dress with a frill at the bottom in cream, blue, red and black. Then also grab the cream or blue linen shorts; a great buy at $69.95. There’s a fabulous brown skirt with buttons down the front $69.95 and snazzy, sexy metallic sandals $59.95 complete with leather heel and clasp. Buy them! We love a jacket; check out the grey 3/4 jacket $69.96 (also available in cream). Wear it with the $89.95 cream tulip skirt that has a Marni esque with an elastic belt and also comes in black. Channel Mischa Barton and grab the grey high waist skirt $69.95. We adore the $99.95 shift with cut out neck available in white or red; buy both. It’s the season of the dress. Wear it with the black studded belt with leather fastenings $69. Or just go minimal. The jewellery section smells fabulously of Rachel Zoe and LA especially the assorted styles of gold bangles from $12.95. Try on the black canvas wedges $149 and you will be most thrilled.
It’s the season for dresses and shorts. Check out the cool denim shorty shorts; a great buy (which funnily enough are not that short but maybe they were talking about the small price $69). In a light summer denim they have a cuff at the hem and a wonderful extendable waistband (perfect to stretch over that fromage, croissants and Gateaux I wolfed down in Paris). Also check out the linen beach shorts in khaki with a tie up front $69.95; and the chic, utilitarian washed linen shirt dress with a button through closure and tab detailed sleeves. It comes in a denim colourway and is just perfecto for summer $129.95. Witchery has gorgeous accessories and they just keep getting better. Particularly in the bag situation. We love a bag and if the Mastercard won’t stretch over to Prada then bend like Balenciaga and check out the Bailey bag here $229. It’s the colour of Baileys. Hic. (is it 6pm yet?) and a great size everyday bag with handles and in soft, soft leather. Also the Bobby bag $99 in white canvas is a must have. Please do not go past the Amber coin purse which comes in silver aqua or white leather and is cute as a button $24.95. The last bag of mention is the gorgeous canvas tote with leather trim. $149.95 Tres super. Check out the Angel leather thong which comes in white, gold or aquamarine and has a cute ankle strap and buckle closure $69.95. We love Witchery’s enamel hinge bangle in aqua or purple $29.95. Try the Miss Sun Hat in white or navy with white dots. It is $49.95 and a fab retro shape that covers the whole head. Sorry but someone has got to tell you : it’s time to stop eating fried Mars Bars: swimwear is now everywhere and begging to be bought. Or at least tried on. Hint; a skinny mirror is advisable. And just don’t look too closely. Check out the cute spandex bikini in jade or navy and white stripe $59.95.
This summer you need a white shift. Buy the white sleeveless shift skinny mini dress $308. Erin Wassan is the inspiration for Ksubis denim short shorts which feature the pockets inside sticking out $220. Try their innovative high waisted checkerboard jeans $274 or the skinny mini jeans $260 or the lean bean jean (just the names alone sell the jean) $330 available in all-colours. I love the ksubi desert storm tee which has a scarf attached to the t-shirt $165 and the $230 black wool jersey shirt. Ksubi always have their $155 Henley shirts and they are a great hardy piece for all wardrobes. Buy a pastel Ksubi tee with a magical print on the front $135.
Walking into Kirrily’s Paddington store was a dream. What a cute boutique! And very colourful. I LOVE the black dynasty dress $620, also available in a top $389. It’s very 80’s (if the name didn’t say it all). It’s an a-line dress with huge sewn-in puff sleeves available in black, mango or white. If that sounds a bit too retro try the grid iron dress which is a simular cut but has studded sleeves instead of a huge puff $594. The popper dress is an edgy casual knit singlet gathered onto a ribbed hem with edgy side pockets. Available in grey marl, black or mango $385. My favourite piece here was the ‘All Sorts’ dress (available in fluro green, black or pewter) which was a singlet style dress with the option of wearing the hem scrunched up or down $559. Style the dress with the ‘All Sorts’ metallic studded platforms $550. If it gets chilly put on the summer anorak in a light hardy cotton and available in white or black $559. You cannot go wrong.
The garment fit in AX is always perfect as the fit is taken from Emporio Armani. The white Leather biker jacket is made from soft, soft leather and is a dream. Invest in winter right now $699. We insist. A leather over a pretty summer dress is THE look. For a summer cotton jacket you need the blazer in white or black $229. Wear the chambray man-style top and over and for wear vs wash it’s a steal $139. The White cotton dress is another of those must have beach moment dresses $259 and wear it with the T-bar Perspex thongs silver $109. There’s also the silk pink and grey t-back dress $259 and a snazzy silk bomber jacket in grey ; the great cut $229. We adore the white plain knit top with feature holes on the shoulder $139 and the blue Cotton halter top $129. Their basic cami’s come in black and white $119. Wear with chic khaki casual cotton trouser $169. Buy the trench here: It’s too fab and you must have it. In a taupe stone cotton it’s tailored at the back and swings as you walk $229. Then buy the $149 clutch bag in white or silver. Divine.
The Emelen beach bag is absolutely gorgeous. It is a clear Perspex tote with tan leather straps , edging and pocket. Beautifully made it is a quality tote for summer $220. As is the Bianca Billa bag made of natural raffia and available in various colours $120. The Tania clutch in black patent is a great accomplice for the LBD on hot summer nights. It is a simple flat clutch with brass clasps at the top $220. Try the Grace stripe canvas ballet slippers $165 or the grace metallic leather ballet slips $165. They are great for shopping, shopping and more shopping. Another great staple is the Sambag jeans with studs or a stitch and available in black white or denim. $180. We adore the Lou Lou leather thongs with an espadrille base. They come in gold silver white or black and have a t-bar front. Or try the gemma t-bar thong inpatent leather. It comes in Black or white with red ball balls on the T-bar $180 . Yes please!
Gail Elliot for Little Joe:
You walk in here and the relaxing smell of lotus candle takes you to another place. It’s such a relaxing shopping experience. Love Love love the references to New York like the NY travel guide at the counter, the Marc Jacobs Perfume and the gorgeous I love NY mints, all for sale of course. The fashion is as elegant as the store: Please buy the Little Jo knit sweaters available in red, black, cream, bone or navy $280 or the V-neck cardigan version $280. Work them back with true religion Johnny light blue jeans $346 or Frankie B $490 medium blue wash jean. Theres a beachy cotton pin-tuck white top $220 or the light laced blouse with a v neck and shirred $450. The silk puffed sleeve Harlow dress in red, cream or black $510 is a must buy as is the gorgeous Irwin knit dress with silk puff $240. Try the Fredrick camisole it comes in red, black and white $290. Or the light blue smoke silk chiffon dress $490. There’s a great print tunic with frills at the hems $520. Wear it all with the Wolford tights or leggings $65-69 and the light green patent heels $627.
Fendi @David Jones Sydney City:
George Clooney will be a little poorer this Christmas. Fendi has all a girl could want and more. Start with the hard black Rebus cuff $345. It has a dark green colour underneath and over the top large almost unreadable (subtle) Fendi lettering. Simple and chic in all sorts of fabulous colours Blk/grn, retenio/powder, grey/mottle, blk/white, mustard, aqua or retenio/white. Or go for the smaller calf leather cuff $135. Drool over the ‘bag du jour’ from Fendi’s cruise collection SS08 in patent calf and is gorgeous and versatile. $2,280. You can change it into a duffle bag or as a shoulder bag, wear the strap or tie it on the front. You must have the cushion platforms (because under the platform is another cushion platform) Hot! Hot! Hot! They are very high and available in red python $1340 brown patent (the favourite) $985 and various colours in suede $975.
OOOh Arrgh nearly everything here is on sale! I spy an Ann Demeulemeester silk white with soft pink print extended hem smock style $962 (on sale) and blue flower print racer back $473. There’s a razzle dazzle skirt with black and grey sequins for $1,397. Try the Stella McCartney silk beige-bamboo print smock top $835 and it’s elasticised at the bottom. Stella also did a grey racer back top gathered at the front and draped to loosely fit the body $695 and then wear her singlet underneath $315. Try the John Rocha round neck simple knit tee $340 with Alberta Ferreti Linen to the knee pants with a pressed front $655. Miu Miu have a gorgeous cocktail capped sleeve empire line dress in a soft bronze $815. The Marni balloon bag is here but this one is limited edition: the handles have tortoise shell clasps: on sale: $1,505! Then buy the $1045 Marni shift dress. Winter 08 collections that have just arrived (and definitely NOT on sale) are Marc Jacobs Alberta Ferretti and Stella McCartney. The stand out piece here is the Stella McCartney thick wool and cashmere jumper $3,245. New Miu Miu and Dosser in soon!
Has up to 75% off everything!! Nuf said.
What a great collection of labels! Azzedine Alaia, A F Vandevorst, Zac Posen, Tibi, Acne, Luella, Mulberry, Wolford and the list goes on and on! Corto Moltedo is the son of Bottega Ventta, which means he has huge boots to fill. His bags has the most intricate details with a twist of uber-cool. Prices start at $1695 for the small black and gold unbelievably wonderful bag. Another great bag designer here is Jerome Drapher who makes fabulous shoulder bags around the $1345 mark. Go for the grey leather number. I love the Camilla and Marc cream shift with zipper details $450, wear it with the Pucci scarves $295. And please note McQueen scarves and bags will arrive at Parlour X very very soon. The Luella black and white lettered skirt with buttons down the front is kitschy $1,495 and the red Antik Battik silk kaftan dress $765 is just superb. Comme Des Garcon have an amazing pleated skirt in navy silk $585 and in the same fabric the dress $775. You must buy the Viktor&Rolf white luxe butterfly sleeve dress $545. Please, please check out the Mauw Freud necklaces which are uncannily made from Perspex and jewels pricing around $200.They have Wolford tights to cover up white winter legs. And you better do something about those legs as Anna and Boy swimwear arrives here soon.
The most amazing pieces here are the Kenneth Jay Lane huge rock rings from $150 - $230. Also from Kenneth are animal bracelets and bangles from $170. Development have a fabulous military jacket in heavy twill $850 or try their silk top with a green ribbon racer back $250. Adam and Eve have a black jersey dress which is an everyday summer staple $260. Try on the Elissa Coleman puff sleeved shift $380 and her silk flower print long sleeved blouse $320. Twelfth Street by Cynthia Vincent has a lovely grey cashmere knit, very long for $460. New in are Jbrand’s dark denim straight leg jeans $340; they will make any legs look miles long as will the habitual jeans which are reduced from $390 to $200. The good news is that the Citizen of Humanity’s high wide rise and high rise straight leg ‘Elsen’ jean is due to arrive here very soon. (Elsen is named after the supermodel if you didn’t know. Please keep reading The FiFi Report so you do). Please buy the American Apparel cotton tee $40. That should keep you shopping til next week.
Poached Fish with Lemongrass and Ginger………adulterated from Good Living
You need for 5 models or 2 fatties on a diet for summer:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 pieces of firm, white fish fillet - such as rockling, sea perch or blue eye
3 parsley stalks
1 stalk lemongrass
1 knob ginger
1 chilli, cut in half (optional)
3 coriander roots and stems, washed (reserve the leaves for accessorising)
1/2 carrot, sliced
1/2 cup white wine
- Pull out the wine and pour some for you and some for the cooking.
- Sometimes it’s a different wine to drink and cook. Sometimes sadly it is not.
- Chop up the chilli using a knife and fork. This stops you touching the chilli then touching your false eyelashes and then burning your eyes. That pain should be saved for the botox.
- Chop up or grate the knob of ginger. Love a knob. (make sure it’s peeled.)
- Chop up the lovely, pretty inside stem of the lemon grass. Cut it crossways and it will make you happy.
- Wash the coriander roots. It can get dirty. Insert your own joke here.
- Pull off the pretty coriander leaves for accessorising later.
- Chop up the carrot into tiny, little pieces. This is so boring so delegate to George.
- Find a chic little pot so that the fish will fit ever so nicely in. Make sure there is extra room for all the accessorizing and alcohol. A philosophy you can apply to all of life.
- Now heat up the naughty but nice sexy butter and moisturise with olive oil.
- When the butter begins to foam (think face wash), throw in the fish, skin side down, a dash of designer French salt and everything else but the wine.
- Pour your self another drink and dream of Paris.The city not the celeb.
- Cook the fish on both sides for about 5 minutes or so and keeping dreaming of Paris.
- Toss in the wine and cover it with a lid that’s slightly askew. Such as your good self. This is so it doesn’t get too steamed up. Such as your good self.
- Now turn down the heat a little until all the wine is gently bubbling happily awayHint: Don’t overcook the fish or it will look like your Balenciaga bag. (I know you want to eat that but it only looks good).
- It should take about 10 to 15 minutes to cook. The fish not the bag.
- Serve the fish on chic white plates drizzled with the sauce and accessorized with the gorgeous green coriander leaves.