- "People’s lives together are complicated and beautiful and that’s what they should stay. They’re very quiet. Complicatedly quiet. They don’t need to be broadcast." Nicole Kidman Complicatedly divorced in 6 months.
- "My husband and I are committed to each other and deeply in love. That’s how I would put it. We’re working on staying in that place, and hopefully we will for the rest of our lives." Nicole Kidman has no hope for her marriage. Work is for the office not the heart.
- "Can we please move forward? Someday I’ll get married, and on my wedding day they’ll be saying, ‘OK, we have to ask about that infamous Oscar kiss" Angelina Jolie’s brother, James Haven.
- “ I know everybody’s kind of looking at us thinking, ‘How did she snag him?’ – Paul Bettany, joking about how he is better looking than his wife Jennifer Connelly.
- "He is Gay"JK Rowling on Dumbledore.
- "When you made Brokeback Mountain, did you have any idea what you were sitting on" sitting on Heath Ledger? Dumbledore? Meredith Vieira to Jake Gyllenhaal.
- “I’m so smart now. Everyone’s always like ‘take your top off.’ Sorry, NO! They always want to get that money shot. I’m not stupid.” — Paris Hilton knows to take off the undies and the top.
- “I’ve got taste. It’s inbred in me.” — David Hasselhoff. Nuf said.
- "I love what you’ve done with the place, Jessica Simpson says when visiting the White House. Inbred taste.
- “I’m not anorexic. I’m from Texas. Are there people from Texas that are anorexic? I’ve never heard of one. And that includes me.” — Jessica Simpson is stupid.
- "You do need to multi-task with acting. You’ve got to remember your marks, your lines, singing, everything, and actually – you have no brain! Suddenly your own brain is growing another person’s brain, so yours goes defunct" Helena Bonham Carter on being Paris Hilton? (on being pregnant).
- ‘ Who’s the bearded man in the turquoise dress sharing the November cover of Paris Vogue with Carolyn Murphy? It’s none other than New York fashion swan Andre J., who had previously appeared in an Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin spread in V magazine but has now raised his profile considerably with the Bruce Weber shot. A nightlife impresario at Lotus and Hiro, Andre J. can usually be spotted in downtown Manhattan, dressed to the nines in any number of envelope-pushing, gender-bending looks, which he always accessorizes with a beard. "The whole Paris Vogue thing came about because of Joe McKenna," he said, explaining that the stylist insisted that he connect with Weber after the two ran into each other on the street. A couple of phone calls later, Andre J. was en route to Montauk to meet up with Weber and Carine Roitfeld’ From Style.com
- " The "It-item" creating havoc in stores this week? Balenciaga’s cutaway stripe blazer. One woman, who was not on the waiting list for the £1295 jacket, refused to move until she was sold one in Harvey Nichols – and staff are considering bringing in extra security until the stock clears over the next few days.’ reports Vogue.co.uk
- "Beauty label No7 is the latest brand to tap into the power of online community Second Life. Until January 2008, users will be able to give their online alter egos – known as avatars – a makeover using the Christmas-themed makeup range from No7’s creative director, Lisa Eldridge’ Reports WWD
- ‘ Charlotte Gainsbourg had better watch her back. Paris has a new It girl, Clémence Poésy (pictured left). The 24-year-old favors a street-smart mix peppered with designer names like Balenciaga, Chloé, and Isabel Marant. Her perfectly unstudied style have landed her in the front row at Chanel shows, on the cover of magazines (including the April 2007 i-D, cast by an admiring Nicolas Ghesquière), and now, in a coveted advertising campaign. Next spring, she’ll appear alongside Chloë Sevigny and Anja Rubik as the faces of Chloé’s newest fragrance. From whence did this budding fashion muse emerge? Poésy launched her acting career a decade ago but her international breakthrough came when she was cast as the haughty Fleur Delacour in 2005’s Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.’ reports WWD
- ‘Jessica Stam is to appear in the Christian Dior campaign once again, according to an industry source. But this time, she’ll be joined by fellow Canadian model Coco Rocha, plus the up-and-coming Polish model Kasia Struss. The trio was said to be shooting the spring campaign with Craig McDean in Paris on Friday.reports WWD
- ‘Taking luxury — and event marketing — to an audacious new summit, Fendi and Karl Lagerfeld on Friday staged a sunset fashion show atop the Great Wall of China, capped off with giant double-F logos projected onto neighboring mountains."I think it’s the first fashion show visible from the moon," Bernard Arnault, chairman of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, joked a few hours before 500 guests climbed steep stone steps to witness Karl Lagerfeld and Silvia Venturini-Fendi stroll down the 2,000-year-old structure to a rousing ovation.’ reports WWD
- "Giorgio Armani loves connecting to the acting world. In addition to last week’s financial support for the Sydney Theatre Company, co-led by Cate Blanchett, Armani has designed the clothes for Tom Cruise, who stars in Robert Redford’s new movie "Lions for Lambs," a political drama that explores the human consequences of America’s war on terror." reports WWD
- " CACHAREL has named London husband and wife design duo Mark Eley and Wakako Kishimoto as the company’s new artistic directors. Taking over from Suzanna Clements and Inacio Ribeiro after seven years at the helm, Eley Kishimoto are moving to Paris with plans to take the label back to its roots for their first collection for autumn/winter 2007/8. Known for their signature use of bold print with quintessentially nostalgic details, it will be no problem at all for Kishimoto to take Cacharel back to its heyday.’ Reports Vogue UK
- As the debate on global warming rages, Chanel has chosen a timely launch for its newest covetable accessory: an ergonomically designed, eight-speed bicycle. The bike has been created as part of Chanel’s spring/summer 2008 offering to celebrate the heritage of the house, which is steeped in Coco Chanel’s love of sport. She would doubtless be proud to ride next season’s hand-finished Chanel bike, which is accented with the house’s signature quilted leather and double-C logo. Add it to your Christmas list now (and start being very good indeed) - it will be available in Chanel boutiques from December, priced approximately £6,200." reports Vogue.co. UK
- "Kate Moss Topshop Christmas ‘07, on sale this Thursday 25th October. Coupling 1930’s glamour with a luxury rock ‘n’ roll feel, her beautiful embellished dresses, Saville Row-inspired tailoring and studded accessories are all you’ll need to see you through the party season. Log onto Topshop.com first thing Friday morning to shop Kate Moss AW07.’ reports UK Vogue
- ‘ Dolce & Gabbana have put their home on the Italian island of Stromboli on the market– reportedly sparking celebrations from nearby residents, disgruntled with the duo’s wild parties. "The locals still haven’t quite recovered from Naomi Campbell’s roof top dancing antics of last summer,". Reports WWD
This is the inside scoop on the fashion world in New York: Read about new shops opening and interviews with all sorts of people: Not sure who writes it. All we know is that " The Fashion Informer is written by a New York-based fashion/entertainment journalist whose articles have appeared in the New York Times, UK Vogue, Elle, Allure, Glamour, Travel + Leisure, and Business Traveler.
A fashion blog by Decades, the vintage store in LA where celebs and their stylists head for glamorous vintage couture. Latest arrivals from Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, Hermes, Oscar de la Renta, Halston, Pucci, Alaia, Lacroix, Herve Leger, Thierry Mugler, and more posted daily! Yes please!
Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour by Rachel Zoe
“Have you ever dreamed of having your own red carpet moment? Or wondered how to emulate the effortlessly chic style of the most photographed trendsetters? Or wished you could master the art of all things glamorous? In STYLE A TO ZOE, Hollywood’s hottest celebrity stylist, Rachel Zoe, shares her insider tips in this essential guide to the art of a fashionable, behind-the velvet-rope lifestyle. With an eye toward living the luxe life, even if it’s on a dime, Zoe zeroes in on the must-have accessories and wardrobe staples for all occasions, when to splurge and save on handbags and heels, how to decorate, entertain, and travel in style. From award shows to advertising campaigns, Zoe is the go-to force among A-list actresses, fashion houses, beauty firms, and magazine editors’.
$16 www.amazon.com Grand Central Publishing (October 3, 2007)
The Christmas List
Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People (Hardcover) by Hamish Bowles
‘Hamish Bowles is European editor at large for US Vogue and editor in chief of Vogue Living. This fabulous book of thirty-six spectacular houses and gardens—whose owners come from the worlds of fashion, music, art, and society—draws not only on stories that have appeared in the pages of Vogue and Vogue Living over the past two decades but also on images that have never before been published. Here are Madonna’s romantic rural retreat in the depths of the English countryside and the Oscar de la Renta’s coral-stone Palladian mansion on the coast of the Dominican Republic; Michael and Eva Chow’s epic Los Angeles manse and shoe maestro Christian Louboutin’s magical houseboat on the Nile; Donna Karan’s Zenlike Manhattan aerie and legendary tastemaker Marella Agnelli’s enchanted villa and gardens in the Palmeraie of Marrakesh; Julian and Olatz Schnabel’s operatic downtown loft and four decades of Karl Lagerfeld’s endlessly surprising houses, both innovative and palatial.’ Yes please!
$47 www.amazon.com Publisher: Knopf (October 30, 2007)
FiFi’s Favourite Buys For Summer.
Look no further. Buy no more. Here are all the pieces you need for summer. And why. (But who needs a reason to shop?).
What: The White dress
Why: Because it’s the season of the dress. Because the dress is all over runways for next, next summer 08. Because it’s fresh, it’s summery and it’s minimalist chic. It will look great with a tan or without. Because it’s not black but just as versatile. Because white next to the face takes ten years off. And that’s the best reason I ever heard.
Which: Look for a simple sleeveless shift shape, a cute smock shape, and whatever length suits your cellulite. Go for white jewel encrusted dress , a shirt dress or a fabulous goddess drape look.
Wear: With all your accessories whatever colour. With silver metallic, with chic black patent or chocolate brown. With flat beaded sandals or serious wedges. Under a trench or with a sporty luxe jacket.
Where: Chloe, Paul & Joe, Scanlan and Theodore, Country Road, Cue and Tree of Life.
What: The School Boy Blazer
Why: Because we all need a little bit of tailoring with all that oversized smock action happening. Because it looks chic and is part of the preppy college look. Because it will take you into next winter. It will balance out a fuller skirt or baggy pants. Because men’s wear tailoring is a big trend next season. Because Balenciaga showed it for winter and that’s all you need to know.
Which: Go for a shorter length and a tailored cut. Go for something with a defined shoulder. Say the word “Shoulder pad”. Out loud and get used to it .Go for navy or black or taupe. Go for a witty stripe or a heavy cotton drill.
Wear: With stone chinos and Balenciaga jodpurs and a stripe belt. With a fuller skirt or short shorts depending on the fat content of your legs. Wear over a tank, or a stripe Tee. With serious wedges or platforms. Wear until the heat of summer makes you take it off.
Where: Balenciaga, Ralph Lauren, Armani Exchange, Karen Millen, David Jones.
What: The Print or Floral dress
Why: Because it’s THE biggest trend for next summer 08. Because it’s easy dressing. Throw on shoes, grab your bag, put on undies and out the door.(Britney: please note). Because it’s soft and pretty and feminine and all men love them. Nuf said.
Which: Go for a sixties paisley print with embellishment a la Chloe or full blown florals a la Balenciaga for next summer. But make sure the shape is modern and strict and sexy. Boho No NO. It may be a loose straight shift or a sleeveless smock. It should be short. Sorry.
Wear: With cute T bar flats, with all your Chloe major platforms and wedges to balance out the silhouette. Ditch the jewels with this. Let the dress have all the attention. Ditch the idea of a cardigan right now. If you get chilly layer something under it not over.
Where: Chloe, Versace, Dries Van Noten, Mango, Cue, Veronica Maine, Sportsgirl, French Connection.
What: The Bright Dress
Why: Because- let me repeat - it’s the season of the dress. Because colour blocking and clashing is a huge trend. Because Lanvin showed all sorts of fabulous bright dresses for this season and next. And we love Lanvin. Because it will lighten up all the black accessories in your wardrobe. Because nothing says summer more than a pop of colour
Which: Go for the short, shift shape, a goddess drape shape, sleeveless or with puff sleeves. Wear it long on weekends. Go for any fabric but stick to red, orange or cobalt blue. Be very afraid of hot pink unless it’s a quality fabric. Cheap + pink and you should be sent straight to rehab. Please avoid yellow at all costs. It looks awful on everyone except Kate Moss. Green is Ok and navy blue is sensational with black. (Navy is considered a bright colour to fashion editors).
Wear: With colour clashing accessories. Red with orange, blue with green. Please don’t match it to your shoes and bags or you will look like the Fembot extraordinaire Victoria Beckham. It’s a runway look not a runaround look.Wear with silver metallic heels, lots of bangles, a great bag and white. Lots of white.
Where: Belinda, Gucci, Prada, Lanvin, Scanlan and Theodore, Cue, Sportsgirl ,Witchery
What: Stone Cotton Chinos
Why: Because we loved the Balenciaga look with a snug Blazer. Because they are this season’s jeans: chicer but just as easy to wear. Because we can’t wear dresses all the time. Because they are trans seasonal and will take you through to next winter. They are a wardrobe basic and versatile with a capital V. Because they are ageless. How nice.
Wear: With Heels Please. Always Heels. it’s not about wearing Chinos bush walking or any such crazy thing. Wear them with jewell encrusted heels or tecno sporty heels. Wear them with heels in gold or silver metallic. Think Juxtaposition! Wear with a beaded top, a sequin top and satin. Wear with any colour from red to choc brown and grey. Wear with black patent or bright blue. Wear with a pretty blouse or a white T and leather bomber jacket. With a zip sporty jacket. Do I mention heels?. The only flats to wear with chinos are sexy beaded T bar sandals. You want a feminine twist to a menswear inspired piece.
Where: Ralph Lauren, Armani Exchange, Country Road, Witchery, Sportsgirl.
What: A Glitter or Embellished Tank
Why: Because it’s all about fabrics and textures this season. It’s about taking day pieces for night and wearing night pieces for day. Because you want to mix it up, Because its all about the touch of the unexpected. Because sequins were all over the runways for next winter and summer. Because it’s the quickest wardrobe updater you ever saw.
Which: Go for a simple T shirt or tank shape that skims the body not clings. Too Scary Las Vegas if it clings and then sparkles. Go for red, silver, cobalt blue, black or a pretty neutral.
Wear: This is a fashion police rule: wear it with cotton to ground it and keep it real. Layer it over a white Tee or a white tank. Wear with chinos, or jeans or man style baggy slouchy pants. I shall use the word juxtaposition again here. It’s your favourite word that should roll off your tongue too. Mix it up with grey chinos and a long cashmere cardigan. Wear it with heavy biker boos a la Chloe.
Where: Dries Van Noten, max and Co, Belinda, Sass and Bide, Wichery, Country Road Supre and Dotti, Valley girl.
What: The Blouse
Why: Because it’s about table top dressing. It’s about drawing attention to the top of the body and the focus away from short, fat, white, hairy legs. Some of us have those.. It’s about buying an item that will inject a dose of this season to all your old favourite pieces lurking in the depths of your wardrobe. Because it’s feminine, will cover your arms and skim the muffin top. Because it is transeasonal.
Which: Go for a sheer black, khaki, white or cobalt blue. Any colour really apart from horrid hot pink and yellow. You may buy a smock top version but watch out. You can get smocked out very quickly. Go for a little frill on the front, big poet’s sleeves, double cuffs and any kind of embellishment. We love matte white or black stones a la Miu Miu and Chloe.
Wear: With simple staple hard working pieces that won’t fight the blouse for attention. We hate fights especially in public. Throw with jeans, chinos, a black pencil or tulip skirt. Wear with sexy short denim shorts if you think you have the legs. (Think is the operative word: Perception is reality.) Wear it to work, wear it out at night, wear it for Sunday lunch. Just don’t spill wine on the ruffles and Poets cuffs.
Where: Miu Miu , Lanvin, Chloe, Country Road, Veronika Maine, Bettina Liano, Morissey
What: The Statement Bag
Why: Because it’s still all about the bag. Because a fabulous bag brings JOY to the world. Because it will work from day to evening from work to weekend. From Office to Opera. Because a statement bag will lift all those old, daggy, boring pieces hiding in your wardrobe and put a smile on their face. Because you can have fat days and it will always fit. Because it’s always about the bag. That’s why.
Which: The oversized clutch for day is the hot trend. So is a smaller tote bag. You can continue to wear your oversized but now invest in something smaller. Keep away from too much hardware. Go for shine, patent, pleated or a structured frame shape. Go for one with a two handles and a shoulder strap that you will never use. Go for red, grey, brown, silver or camel.
Wear: With everything you own. Don’t match bags and shoes. Unless you are Vicky B. Mix it up. Add an unexpected jolt of colour and toss on a red bag. A glitter clutch for evening or go for grey instead of black. Spend as much as you can and don’t look back. Then don’t eat for a week. You will never regret your extravagances only your meanness.If you go for black go for patent or shine or embellishment or woven.
Where: Evelyn Miles, Prada, Miu Miu, Bally, Longchamps, David Jones for Chloe, Ferragamo, Witchery, Country Road, Nine West.
What: The Statement Shoe
Why: Because we love shoes. Shoes and more shoes. Because a fabulous shoe will bring more JOY to the world. Because they are instant wardrobe updater. Because they will make youre your legs look longer. Joy! Because you can tell everything about a person by looking at their shoes. Because you can wear everything from last season as long as you just change your shoes. Because your feet are never on a diet.
Which: Wedges, Platforms, chunky heels Please. You need the heavier shoe to balance out al the big voluminous silhouettes. You don’t want tiny, teeny pointy toe stilettos sadly disappearing under a big trapeze dress. This is wrong. If you do a pointy toe make sure it has a chunky heel or a platform. Go for red! Silver! Tan! Perpex! Suede! Patent! Bejeweled! Shoes don’t care how old you are and you can be adventurous as you like. Flats are Ok if they are T bar jewelled sandals or ballet flats. It’s seriously high or flat but nothing in between. Go for high lacing shoe boots with a round toe and chunky heel al la Marc Jacobs and now in Bally. THE shoe for next winter.
Wear: With everything. Embellished jewelled heels with chinos and jeans. Silver flats with a glamourous white dress. Try the dominatrix lace up shoe boot in patent with a pencil skirt. Wear red shoes to wake up all the black and dull colours asleep in your wardrobe. Don’t match your bags unless you are a Fembot.
Where: Prada, Miu Miu , Chloe, Marni Evelyn Miles, Bally,, David Jones for Chloe, Jil Sander, Ferragamo, Witchery, Country Road, Nine West , Midas, Mollini and Shoo Biz.
What: The Statement Sunglasses
Why: Because you are a movie star. Or Anna Wintour. Because you have bad black circles. Because you are dashing out of rehab, and dodging the paparazzi and the camera flash. Because you want to be incognito. Because you might even want to just stop squinting when you go out in the sun. Sometimes it’s cheaper than botox.
Which: Go for black or Tortoiseshell Rayban eighties wayfarers or the new groovy cats eyes. Go for anything big. Go for Aviators. Be afraid of Ombre or shaded or anything glitzy. Try white, red or blue frames if you are feeling random.
Wear: See above.
Where: Prada, Niu Miu and Tom Ford at Sunglass Hut. Karen Walker at General pants. Sass and Bide. Witchery, Sportsgirl, and Just Jeans.
What: A belt
Why: Because there is a waist under there somewhere. Because belts were seen all over the runways. Again. Because it’s a great way to add texture, shine and colour. Because you can finally cinch in that smock top and dress and show off that figure. Because it’s about the waist not the hips. Because if it’s tight enough you will eat less.
Which: Go for patent white, red, or black. Wide or skinny. In a stretchy sporty fabric a la Chloe or canvas.
Wear: We love a brown leather belt cinching in pretty soft dresses a la Prada. Love a big belt cinching in trenchcoats a la Burberry and a stretchy techno belt pulling in jackets a la Marni . Love the cream or white belt a la marni with grey or black. Love a big wide belt the size of a hand a la Alaia sitting right on the waist around any dress. Love a belt.
Where: Prada, Burberry, Miu Miu, Alaia, Belinda, Scanlan and Theodore, Arthur Gallan, Country Road, Witchery.
Soy Glazed Chicken
I found this easy, little recipe in InStyle magazine. It’s just a little different way to marinate chicken with the zesty with taste of orange and caraway seeds. You should really let it marinate over night (but it works after a couple of hours).
For 20 models, 10 Fashion Editors, 4 men or 6 average housewives:
4 tabs honey
4 tabs soy sauce
2 tabs caraway seeds
2 tabs orange zest
1 teasp white pepper
1 chicken or 6 chicken breasts
- Get out of your new, clean white Marni dress.
- Climb out of Chloe platforms and come down to earth.
- Get the chicken out of fridge.
- And the wine bottle too.
- Gulp down a glass or two. This will make you feel like you are back in your Chloe platforms.
- Zest the oranges. Delegate this task to George Clooney if the nails and fresh and the new manicure can’t take it.
- Rummage in drawer for a bowl for the marinade.
- Now here’s the hard part: Combine honey, soy, caraway seeds, orange zest, and white pepper.
- Pour it into a freezer bag.
- Throw the chicken into the bag and then give it a good massage to help the flavours sink in. Think Crème de la Mer marinating your wrinkles.
- Throw the chicken in the fridge over night or at least for a couple of hours while you laze around drinking and reading the latest Vanity Fair about Jackie O.
- You can now instruct a little helper to make a green salad.
- To cook: Ask George Clooney to head to the BBQ and get it going. He will love that. Remove chicken from bag (Always a good idea) and discard excess juice.
- Cook the chicken skin side down for 10 mins and then flip it and cook for about another ten mins.
- Serve with a sensationally chic green salad, asparagus, crusty bread, more wine.
- And then more wine.