• "I’ve actually rented Björk’s swan dress. I know that’s kind of recycling, but I saw An Inconvenient Truth.” The Office star Rainn Wilson, on what he plans to wear to the Emmys.
• "I love to avoid scenes where I ride on a broomstick for obvious reasons. I want to have children in the future." Daniel Radcliffe, on his least favourite Harry Potter scenes.
• "Yes. I am innocent … I did not do drugs, they’re not mine” Lindsay Lohan (which is only slightly less credible than the ‘My dog ate my homework’ defence). She was riding a broomstick at the time.
• "I’m just hoping people do get it and don’t truly think that I do sunbathe in high heels and a bikini and a full face of makeup." Vicky B (Victoria Beckham) we believe that as much as we believe Lindsay’s Dog ate her homework and put drugs in her pocket.
• “If things go well and we get married, I’m going to be smart this time and I’m going to have him sign a pre-nup and if we get divorced, I’ll get half his allowance." Paula Abdul is so dumb at being smart. Her Dog ate her pre-nup.
• “I’m not walking into Katie Holmes’ performance, I’m thinking of it as an opportunity to play somebody who’s alive and smart.“ Maggie Gyllenhaal on her part in the new Batman movie (so Katie really is dead and dumb).
• “’Who is this man with a ball cap and this woman with black sunglasses?" One of the French employees of a theme park on seeing Brad Pitt and Angelina’s van with blacked-out windows pull up.
• "To see Brad Pitt knocking around in a bouncy castle with his children and screaming like wild animals was like a hallucination." Another employee at the Park.
• "I think they have this impression that I’m this miserable cow who doesn’t smile. But I’m actually quite the opposite." Victoria Beckham has a hallucination that is she is not a miserable cow. She is miserable Fembot.
• "I’ve actually rented Björk’s swan dress. I know that’s kind of recycling, but I saw An Inconvenient Truth.” The Office star Rainn Wilson, on what he plans to wear to the Emmys.
This week’s cheap but chic piece? A fabulous long, wooden necklace discovered hanging cleverly from the ceiling at Sportsgirl. In a light, pale wood the large disc necklaces are obviously totally inspired by Marni and her craft inspired collection for summer. You’ll find it sits well with the simple loose dresses and the slightly minimalist and 60’s retro futurist looks coming this season. Forget about wearing any other jewellery. So ditch those bangles or any over the top earrings and keep the focus on one piece to takes all the attention. But you can do fabulous shoes. Always fabulous shoes. And when the trend is over you can hang them up and use them as a chandelier.
$24 Wooden Disc Necklace from Sportsgirl ….see it here when you click on accessories.
Reasons to go shopping this week:
• You look into your wardrobe and it’s like Britney’s washing basket.
• You look in the mirror and see Britney Spears.
• You look in your wallet and see your black Amex is winking back at you.
• You look at silver metallic heels and know they will transform your entire sad, old, black wardrobe in a blink.
• You look at silver metallic sandals as a neutral which will go with everything you own.
• You try on last summer‘s clothes. Everything is too tight. You see Britney again.
• You know you need more shoes.
• You know you can find silver metallic shoes everywhere from Sportsgirl to Witchery, Country Road, Evelyn Miles, YSL and Jil Sander.
• You know shoes will always fit, even on fat days.
Of the 174 different beauty products I have tried for The FiFi Report I have probably written about lip gloss the most often. I have tried to give up. Why stop looking for the perfect lip gloss? It is crucial to life. More than mascara. More than food. (Maybe not wine). So this week’s beauty buy is the fabulous YSL Golden Gloss. It has a tiny bit of metallic gold in it so you really get a shimmer that creates a mirror like effect to illuminate your lips. Don’t worry you won’t look like Joan Rivers. It looks fabulous and will stay on for at least the end of your first drink. And if you eat? You won’t. You gave that up last week.
$32 YSL Golden Gloss Shimmering Lip Gloss from major department stores.
• ‘Next week in Paris, the chicest accessory to sport will be a bike. The Bicycle Film Festival is rolling into town, complete with a bike-themed art show, Joy Ride (catch works by Michel Gondry and Shepard Fairey), on display at Colette until the end of August. In its seventh year, the festival features short and full-length films celebrating bike culture. One of the highlights this time around is Monkey Warfare, winner of the Special Jury Award at the Toronto Film Festival. And then there’s that little race that’s going on. To celebrate the Tour de France, the Bicycle Film Festival is teaming with the Rue St.-Honoré boutique to host a massive street party one block from the finish line.’ Reports Style.com
• ‘First came the Hermès Kelly bag, then the Birkin, named for Grace Kelly and Jane Birkin, respectively. Now, we hear, Naomi Campbell is hard at work in Paris designing a tote of her own for the storied French luxury goods house’. Reports UK Vogue.
• Stefano Pilati of YSL is heading for a long vacation in Australia and would be "cut off" from the fashion world for a while reports WWD.
• Coutts, the private London bank, is backing the exhibition celebrating Matthew Williamson’s 10th anniversary in the fall at London’s Design Museum. In return, the designer is lending the 315-year-old bank a touch of his luxe hippie glamour. Williamson will host a preview of the exhibit for Coutts clients, and take a select group on a tour of his studio. His designs will also be featured on the windows of the bank’s headquarters on London’s Strand during the exhibition’s run."
• Stella McCartney’s brood is getting bigger. She is expecting her third child at the end of this year. McCartney already has a son and a daughter.
• Alber Elbaz, the Lanvin designer, has teamed up with the Taiwanese craftsman Franz to create a series of miniature porcelain dolls wearing signature looks from his collection. The hand-painted, stiletto-wearing figurines, starting with this fall-winter season, will each be produced in a limited series of 800 and cost 250 euros, or $345, a pop.
• Instead of collaborating with a high-profile contemporary artist, as it has in recent years, Louis Vuitton has tapped two young graphic design students from London’s Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design to decorate its more than 370 stores starting November.
• Yves Saint Laurent is convalescing at the American Hospital here after suffering acute health problems.
• Beginning in September, MySpace will host a series of hour-long conversations during which one US presidential candidate will field questions sent by viewers at home via the site’s instant messenger service. The talks will be broadcast live via the site. Participants will include Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, and Barack Obama.
• Following scenes of chaos in Hong Kong, authorities in Beijing have banned the sale of Anya Hindmarsh’s iconic I’m Not A Plastic Bag shopper - leading to a rise in demand for counterfeit copies. Please explain.
• Model Erin O’Connor is throwing herself behind a plan to have part of New York’s Greenwich Village officially named "Little Britain". The English-themed businesses in the area include a fish and chip shop called A Salt & Battery and café Tea & Sympathy.
A fabulous site! Prada launched its first on-line auction of 24 prototypes of dresses, skirts, bags and shoes from the fall-winter 2007 collection a couple weeks ago. The prototypes are one offs and were never actually produced in the colors, fabrics and materials that are being auctioned. Profits benefit one of Italy’s main institutions for clinical medical research and care, the Fondazione San Raffaele. Click on the icons under PRADA and go to movies to watch the film about the Production behind the seams….cool
Go here to buy the groovy, hippy, limited edition T Shirt designed by Stella McCartney for the 2007 Glastonbury Music Festival. The proceeds will go to OXFAM. Cool
It’s the Lindsay Britney Show!
• Lindsay Lohan must’ve loved getting arrested for drunk driving because she decided to get arrested again, the second time in under 3 months. She was popped for possession of cocaine, driving under the influence, transporting a narcotic into a custodial facility and driving on a suspended license. This is just shocking. Everybody knows she’s wearing an alcohol-monitoring anklet so how could she possibly get drunk? Oh wait, that’s right, because she put it on herself stoned and nobody checked it. She might as well have glued two travel-sized cereal boxes to her ankle …reports the superficial.
• ’Lindsay Lohan then sent a text message to Access Hollywood claiming her innocence and that the coke found in her jeans wasn’t her’s. Her evil twin sister did it (To be fair, I carry around other people’s cocaine in my pockets all the time. Sometimes I even carry it around in my nose) says thesuperficial.
• ’Lindsay Lohan then checked herself back into rehab, but not the Promises treatment facility where she just completed her 45 day program. ‘It’s probably smart that Lindsay didn’t check back into Promises, since they haven’t managed to help a single person. One of these days somebody is going to do a little research and it’s going to turn out Promises isn’t even a rehab facility, but a used car dealership’ reports the superficial.
• Britney Spears had a "total meltdown" during an OK magazine shoot. She refused professional make-up and hair help! (Whatever next?!) Then she insisted her untrained friends style her. Oh My God. How low can she go? An untrained stylist is going too far.
• Britney went swimming in her undies (this is news. No comparison to flashing your Brazilian)
• Pete Doherty is back in rehab.
• What weighs more than 21 grams but less than King Kong? That would be Alexander Pete Schreiber, the new baby boy of Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber.
• Despite arriving 20 minutes after the party ended, Paris Hilton stopped by the Feed the Models, Save the World charity event (sponsored by the non-profit Eating Disorder Information Network) in LA. What’s more shocking? Paris was too late for a party or there is a charity actually called Feed The Models?
• Beyonce took a tumble during a performance. Right after she bit the dirt, she got right back up and started whipping that weave all around again. After the song was finished she asked that no one post video of her fall to the Interweb, so of course you can see the whole thing on You Tube reports Pink.
• Jessica Alba and Cash Warren are dunzo. She dumped him on the phone.
• Vicky B (as in Victoria Beckham) continues her life as a Fembot in LA.
• Model Erin O’Connor is dating David Walliams from Little Britain. Isn’t he Gay? (look into my eyes, look into my eyes…)
Slim: A Fantasy Memoir by Cynthia Rowley
Such a pretty book! Cynthia Rowley is a New York fashion designer, artist and author. After the success of her Swell books, Cynthia Rowley presents a collection of stories that are part memoir, part fiction with over 40 of her own original drawings. Slim is written and illustrated in Rowley’s inimitable style - candid, fun, and imaginative, and recounts tall tales from her childhood through her early days as a fashion designer. From ‘luxury camping’ under a chandelier formed of flashlights to a runway show in Candyland, Rowley’s anecdotes drift seamlessly between daydreams and reality. Cute!
$19 http://www.amazon.com Publisher: Rizzoli (April 17, 2007)
The Christmas List
Gianni and Donatella (Hardcover) by Sante D’Orazio
A big, fat, glossy coffee table book will be published in September to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of the death of Gianni Versace “In 1997 Gianni Versace had begun in his Fall Collection when his life was tragically cut short. It was up to his sister Donatella to bravely pick up the pieces and finish what her beloved brother had started. That October was Gianni’s last collection and Donatella’s first. It was an end and new beginning…
$95 http://www.amazon.com Publisher: Te Neues Publishing September 15, 2007
It’s all new spring summer…I spy a groovy dark blue denim bomber jacket with rib knit collar and cuffs and hem and a snazzy zip, it’s cool $89. Also check out the jeans: they have a fab selection here if you are not into serious designer denim from about $89. There are cute racer back silver tanks with double layers and an elastic hem $59, some chic little navy or grey knit scoop neck short sleeve sweeter dresses $79 and a cute white Trapeze dress $89. There are leggings in every colour $24 and same with tanks $29. Check out the chic little woven brown clutch bags a la Bottega Veneta for about $30. The other bags are a bit too scary cheap. In the jewellery they have finally gone down the Marni track with wooden discs necklaces. (See Cheap but chic). Also love the wooden bangles - a must buy for summer. You need about 4 or 5 to give your outfit an edge. Make a statement please, don’t be mingy and just do one bracelet. No, No, No. That will never do - it’s all or nothing. The shoes here are all a bit boring this week and all I can see are round toe pumps. Where are the wedges and platforms and patents? You are forgiven Sportsgirl, as you were one of the first to do a tribute to the Lanvin platform way back in 05. Bless. I see some groovy high waist short shorts by Life with Bird for Sportsgirl $119 - very cool and a groovy bronze zip jacket that is very funky $199.
There are lots of new pieces in for the new season. Check out a very chic sheer blouse in blush pink chiffon with a satin insert. It is collarless with a round neck and has a cute little elastic hem so it has a voluminous shape. This is a great buy. Wear to work under a jacket now, with jeans or later in summer when it’s hot with chinos $149. Also in black - yes please! Invest in the slim jersey pants, very skinny and cut like a jean in grey $89. Buy the amazing tank dress (i.e cut like a simple tank) in chiffon with huge discs all over it. In black it is has all the discs trimmed with black jet beads, it’s a dress to wear out at night. Snazzy - It’s got to be a Chloe inspiration $229. There is a silver glitter sequin cardigan completely covered in sequins – I like it with jeans and a white T not as an evening look. I love silver and white, so fresh and modern it’s epitomizes the retro futurism trend that’s been lurking since last season $199. Love the luxe short black sporty jacket here with a black zip $89. What a great jacket, it has shorter sleeves and is in a lighter nylon fabric so perfect going into summer. Remember to wear it with heels. I have said it till I am blue in face (Yves Klein blue of course). These sporty parkas and anoraks are not for camping or any other such outrageous thing. They are to be worn with pencil skirts, leggings and heels. Always heels - the must buy of the season. There is also another longer to the knee anorak which is great for covering up legs and bottoms and thighs in black or silky caramel $129. Of course if you had been listening to FiFi and done as instructed you would have bought one last season when Country Road were there first with their Prada inspiration. Now go and buy the fab dark denim button through bell skirt with a waist band $89; the black cotton double-breasted trench $199 and the white cotton top with big embroidered holes along the bodice, very Chloe $89. Check out the sale items: I see lots of black jersey dresses with puff sleeves on sale for about $59. I spy a serious Pierre Hardy copy (and it is) in the bag department. What good taste Witchery has. See the real versions in Belinda or buy the cheap but chic version here. What do they look like? They are a 2 handle long tote with a simple white/cream leather piping or trim along the edge. Love the big silver tote. Go for it - thrash it for the season and then say goodbye. It’s very on trend. Also buy the light grey Tote in a lovely soft leather about $299 and the cute, small zip clutch, almost a wallet in tan $79. In shoes go for the silver roman sandals $79 with an ankle strap and also one in a thong shape $99. Also check out the very gold or silver peep tote pumps with a simple thin heel, very Prada $159 and perfect for those who feel they can’t do a serious wedge or platform this summer. Bless.
A few pieces in this week: Check out the huge slouchy woven bags a la Bottega Veneta about $109 in a tan or black. Also in a huge two handle open top shape. Also check out the black peep toe wedges in gold $159. There are still some great shoes on sale.
It looks very work inspired here this week, which is great if you want classic pieces with a modern edge. For more fashion pieces check out the cute black smock dress with a square elastic neckline about $189; the high waist skirt with a belt in a textured cotton $179 and the fab floral autumn leaves chiffon poets blouse $129. Wear that over a knit now and then into summer with everything. The black cotton sleeveless dress with a taupe insert and balloon skirt will be very flattering on, it has the very snazzy exposed zip down the back which is a big story for summer $175. Wear that over a knit now and again into summer with nothing under it. Except, of course, a bra and undies. There are a lot of simple chic black dresses in this week; I like the one with its very own black patent belt. You can never have enough of those.
David Jones Shoes:
Check out the handy Guess T bar red or black patent cork platforms $179 and Diana Ferrari has done some cute little silver ballet flats with a peep toe $99. Cute. Also I spy the shoes that will be everywhere for summer and have been copied already by a few labels because they are fab: The Miu Miu flat sling back sandals with a square peep toe. You will find a few versions in David Jones in red patent or white patent.
At Calvin Klein Jeans I spy a cool shirt dress: think a dress with long shirt tails. It’s a trend all over the runways and a big look for summer. Buy one of these here in white or black $175. Then buy the white zip hoodie $149, also in grey. At Armani Jeans I do like the pale blue, almost white denim cotton blazer with white buttons $579 and the cute short navy trench $499 in a shiny silky cotton. The wide neck navy cotton sweater is classic although it’s very sheer. You need a white or flesh tank under it to cover any muffin stomach $319. Now head over to check out the Marc by Marc Jacobs. It’s always a bit left of centre, but the best buys are the fab jeans in a lighter denim with a wider leg- no, not high waited but still cute $399 and with a front crease. Also buy the cute black prim dress, very 50’s and cutesy, it has a bow, round neck and a front panel -you know the look $799. The navy mini skirt with white piping is very short and sweet $479. I see a lot of awful peach waffle weave jumper’s -no wonder Marc Jacobs was in rehab. That would make any one turn to drink!
Scanlan and Theodore:
Still on sale and I see quite a few pieces begging to be bought. Of course everything in your size may have already left the building, but try for the black wool melton cape now $200. The cape is still a hot, hot piece for next winter and on its ascent on the Groove Richter scale. This means you will get a lot of wear out of it is also it’s a great trans-seasonal piece. You can wear a cape in warmer weather instead of a coat and it will look fabulous over a white tank. Buy the pinstripe T now $250 and a beautiful high waist sailor pants in navy now $200. There are gorgeous black or navy knit sweater dresses with cute pockets on the side and a scoop neck now $250. Hint: Sweater dresses are on the same Groove Richter scale as the cape, they haven’t peaked yet so worth buying to keep wearing into next winter. Check out the brown check tweed fitted sheath dress now $300 - classic and sexy, and the dark denim 50’s style crop jacket with a round collar now $250. Love the silk jacket-come-blouse with a small ruffle along the round collar and a square silhouette now $150. It’s another trans seasonal piece that will work for summer too. The silk trapeze pea coat is gorgeous, now $450 and you will wear that anywhere, any time. I know you will. And what’s more the spring summer will be in store in about 2 weeks. Can’t wait…
Lots of fab new pieces in to buy this week. Check out the fab drape Tee shirts in all sorts of colours, very handy at$59; the short sporty cropped jacket with 3⁄4 sleeves $149 and the sexy cotton navy anorak with a lighter blue lining $199. Remember it’s all about mixing navy and black this season so this is a great jacket that will take you many places (hopefully to Paris). The black knit zip top with short sleeves is a must buy. Wear it almost like a cardigan over a white T or just simply zip it up over a black pencil skirt, it’s an incredibly flattering cut. As I have repeated many times Sporty Luxe is the big news for summer -the best news about that? You don’t need to do any sport to be on the team. The grey knit zip top (a la Lanvin or was it Chloe?) with a huge raglan sleeves is a winner too, it has high ribbing around the waist so it pulls it in (‘it’ being your muffin top). Now buy the V neck hoodie in grey cotton, it’s long and sexy $89 and the dark khaki cotton chinos to go with everything. Wear chinos instead of jeans with beads and jewels and cami tops. Love the khaki sleeveless cutaway dress with a balloon hem and a rope drawstring waist$220. It is short - I tried it on and unless you have the legs you need black opaque tights. Also love the drop waist cotton navy dress with a colour block hem, a zip up the back and cute short sleeves – sweet $179. The double breasted heavy knit crop jacket is chic $229. In accessories check out the fab canvas and red patent trim bag as well as the must have white or red patent belts $59. You want the red and white stripe stretchy belts with the brown leather trim - another must buy for a quick wardrobe refresh. This belt will take all your old outfits straight into summer $59. The peep toe sling back flats a la Miu Miu are the so gorgeous and so are the red patent flat sandals around $99.
Carla Zampatti/ Bianca Spender:
A few good pieces here very inspired by Lanvin. (Remember it takes an eye to copy the right thing). Buy the chic white cotton blouse with lovely –very-this-season big puff sleeves $299. This is the season of the sleeve detail. Also check out the fab ombre shaded silk cami $299 (A tribute to Prada) in navy and black. There is a fab simple black dress here with cutaway neckline (it’s sleeveless) and a high drawstring neck, awfully chic darling in black $599.
A few new pieces in: Check out the sweet little round neck jersey dress with puff sleeves and a big loose trapeze silhouette. But don’t worry it has its own little belt so you can cinch it all in $169. The Twiggy tulip dress is also cool, it has a crew round neck and short sleeves $199. Also check out their jeans in chic de la chic dark denim. They seem to fit everyone really well. Go here if you want work clothes, as it’s all very conservative this week.
I spy the new black patent bag designed with the help of Kate Moss. It’s actually rather fab because it’s structured but with longer handles so you can still throw it over your big fat arms. Also there is no hardware just all black which is a pared down look, which I like. A nice change from all the silver and gold buckles that are all over everything. There are 3 different sizes, the biggest is great $1600 and the medium size is still big $1200, the small size is just a no, no. Also check out the canvas bags and I can not recommend their wallets more highly - great leather.
David Jones Shoes:
Check out the new summer shoes: Best buys in Marc Jacobs collection are the silver metallic T bar heels with a zip up the front and ankle straps, sexy $675; and the blue patent pumps with a low heel $650. In Jil Sander you want the peep toe black satin pumps with a big black resin disc on the toe $625 (they were recently in the sale for half price. Sob) and the divine silver pewter wedges for about $700. Or buy the chic little round toe simple ballet flats in silver, gold white or black $550, and buy the orange patent thongs $550. Also love the Miu Miu sling back cobalt blue pumps with a round toe $499. Go for the Miu Miu black sling backs wedges $580, and the sling back flats with a woven crossover front - cute $510. The Miu Miu black satin flats with black jet beads are fab - for you $770. Remember it’s all about embellishment or patent in shoes this season. In Tods you want the silver ballet flats with elastic sides: THE shoes of the season in the flat department about $495. I am not so sure about the Manolo Blahniks. OMG! True. They are very classic; I know he is not into wedges or platforms so the selection is very conservative here. So instead take a deep breath and head to YSL and buy the amazing peep toes with the huge chunky heel in black patent $900, or the grey patent square toe flats. Think of the shopping you can do in those. You could go for hours and never sit down. Now go over to the Christian Louboutin and drool over his shoes. Is there anything more chic than flicking up your feet and seeing that signature red sole? Too chic. Buy the silver peep toe with a-not-so-high wedge $850, also in gold and the jade patent sling back heels with a cork wedge $975. And don’t forget to check out the gold platforms cork platforms $999.
David Jones Bags:
In the bag department I spy more Chloe bags. Buy the new BAY bag in brown $2800 - the IT bag of the season and the Betty bag in a caramel - for you $2800. Also check out the very good collection of marc Jacobs bags. The Stam bags in different colours such as kooky bright green or black or caramel. There are also some snazzy shoulder bags with the pochettes and serious gold hardware from about $1800. Also check out the Bally section and buy the big black quilted bag seen in all the ads for about $1600.
Fendi at David Jones:
Ooh la la! Don’t we love the shoes and bags here? Buy the amazing T bar silver or black mesh wedge heels with a major platform $1200 or the silver glitter ones with a kooky kitten heel on the wedge $1000. Or invest in the divine silver simple platforms $900. In the bags buy the so called famous ‘crossword’ tote in a dark navy about $2200 and the small gold clutch. Keep away from the logos. Please.
Finally I am back and praying at the Mothership. Time to pay respects at the alter of fashion. I was just as they were unpacking the latest autumn winter collection and no one had seen it except moi. How fabulous. So where do I start? This collection is all about strange new fabrics and kooky long socks that for some reason look so right. Style.com says, “Having to précis Prada is one of the toughest mind games in the business. All critics know is that they might as well leave their usual compasses at the door: Whatever Mrs. P is onto next is guaranteed to throw ready-made vocabulary and easy references into disarray. How, then, to capture the meaning of a show that started with a plain gray mannish coat and then moved into boxy, furry, laminated, bubbling, natural-cum-synthetic color and texture? Meaning, schmeaning, says Miuccia. As the anxious hordes pressed backstage for an intellectual coda from the oracle, she gave them a friendly Italian laugh. "Eh! The only thing I could think of was to work on color and materials," she shrugged. "Something simple but strange." Simple but strange it is but oh, so wonderful. You will drool over the ombre shaded sleeveless dress in a blush running into black in a bubble fabric $$. It is shown with long socks in a green and taupe and fabulous nude ombre patent heels. Buy the short, furry, fake fur chubby in black $$$ and the black faux fur trimmed hoodie bomber jacket in wool melton $2860. Love the black wool melton short jacket with elastic cuffs and a self belt $3200 and the divine ruched nylon zip blouson jacket (The ruching matches the Guiffre bags)$1600. You want the black nylon almost pleated zip bomber jacket $2000 and there is a beautiful long black parka in silk taffeta with a drop waist and elastic trim $2280. The white pleated and creased Tee’s are $600. Buy 2. You also want the little black dresses with wide straps and a pleated skirt $2100 and the divine black rouched high neck dress $2025. There are about 4 or 5 black dresses that are gorgeous - everyone will copy the puff sleeve cami and dress. In the bags I love the over the top rouched Guiffre silver messenger bag about $3000. Also check out the new bags with a luggage heritage tag in silver embossed leather. The black ombre one strap bag with the zips along the bottom (that are just there for fun) is the bag du jour $2800. The gorgeous stand up totes in the ombre are very ‘fashion’: as in they are not a classic you will wear forever but so right for now. Buy the cute black patent slouchy bag $2800. You want the round patent heels $600 and the bow front ballet flats with Prada written subtly across the toe. Love the simple T bar black ankle strap sandals with a square heel $1000. Also there are a lot of trainers too. Perfect to wear all day so you can keep shopping….
French Onion Soup with Cider ……from Vogue Entertaining and Travel
Who can resist something hot, rich and French on a cold winter’s night? It’s a cinch to make. Caramelise the onions in an outrageous amount of butter, pour in Cider and then the stock. Serve with baguette with melted cheese and drenched in soup…
Best of all you can make this up to 3 days ahead.
You need for 6 fashionistas, 4 men, 25 models
150g unsalted butter, chopped
1kg onions, halved, thinly sliced
355ml bottle alcoholic dry cider
1.5 litres beef stock
12 x 1cm-thick slices baguette
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
150g gruyère, grated
Sprigs of thyme, to serve
• Put on Missoni sunglasses
• Grab the onions. But relax. No need to chop up a kilo of onions. No waterproof mascara could ever get through that. So do as Nigella taught me and grab the whizzer.
• Peel and cut all the onions in half and toss in whizzer. You may need to do two batches.
• Whizz onions till finely chopped.
• Melt the butter in a large saucepan to hold the soup.
• Smells divine non?
• Take off sunglasses.
• Wipe away any tears.
• Reapply Lip gloss. Why? Why not?
• Pour a wine or two.
• Add the onions to butter with about 11/2 teasp of salt
• Let them cook and caramelise over a low heat till they are as tanned as Donatella. Yes, as brown and golden as that.
• Add the cider to onions and let it simmer until it’s reduced to about half the size. If only dieting was as easy.
• Add the stock and let it simmer again for about ten minutes.
• Smells divine…
• More wine in your glass (or cider).
• Season with pepper.
• Leave it in the fridge.
• About half an hour before you serve it go and grab the baguette and cut it into chic slices
• Toss the slices under a grill and toast both sides till it’s dried but not browned. (Think Donatella in winter)
• Then spread the bread with the Dijon mustard and then top with the cheese. (Think face mask.)
• Grill the baguette slices until cheese bubbles and browns. (Think Donatella in Summer)
• Heat the soup till it boils. (think ex boyfriend).
• Drop the whole slices of baguette in the warm soup, maybe two each serving. (Think Hungry)
• Then accessorise it with the chicest little sprigs of thyme.
• Think Divine!
Blades of Glory …Directed by Will Speck
Genre: Slapstick sports Comedy
Who: Will Ferrell, Jon Heder, Amy Poehler, Will Arnett
The Plot: America 2006: Will Ferrell is ‘a loud-talking, ego-swelling, hard-partying sex-addict Champion Ice skater’. Napoleon Dynamite is his rival. An innocent, cherub-faced, pretty boy with a famous, pompous hairdo. They have a big punch up. Both banned from Skating for life. Find a loop hole so they can team up and WIN. Now it’s a Guy + Guy team. No one has ever seen two men skating like this. (Except at the Mardi Gras). Rival Baddies don’t like it. Try to sabotage the snazzy Guy + Guy team. Crazy sex addict and the sweet faced virgin Argue and skate. Argue and Skate. Repeat. Finally become friends. Go for the Gold. The end
Acting:Excellent comedy. Will Ferrell and Jon Heder (Napoleon Dynamite) are hilarious.
Photography: Snazzy trickery of amazing skating, leaps and pirouettes.
Design: it’s Tacky, tasteless and over the top 80’s. How perfect.
Wardrobe: Tacky, tasteless, over the top 80’s glitz; it’s Versace with a few tributes to Cavalli thrown in. See pastel jumpsuits with sequins and outrageous collars. How perfect.
Salon de Beaute: I see the grooviest shag-a-delic hair permanently stuck in style. I see blue eye shadow, sparkling white teeth, and fake eyelashes and gloss. That’s just on the men. There is so much hair spray no wonder Iceland is melting.
Botox: The wrinkles get a huge workout with so much laughing so double dose it. Water proof Mascara: Apply lashing of Chanel mascara. Laugh til you cry.
Blood ’n’ Guts: Not a speck of blood Mind drifted to shopping: Never
Smokin’ smooches: Smoke no fire.
Car chases: No cars just chasing of gold medals
Movie Mistake: ‘We see the newspaper with "Sunday, March 14, 1987". March 14, 1987 was a Saturday, not a Sunday ‘
Rename It: Hairspray
Best Review: “Blissfully silly, triumphantly tasteless and improbably hilarious.” Wall Street Journal
Best Worst Reviews: “Ferrell’s testosterony shtick fails to tweak any notions of athletic masculinity because it’s only used as a conventionally humorous juxtaposit ion for ice-skating’s mocked femininity.” Slant Magazine (slanted view?)
See it or donate to the Prada Bag fund: Laugh till you cry. (The same reaction you get when you pay for your Prada bag).