What is the most important thing in life? Shoes? Bags? Perhaps mascara? Foundation? Your black Amex? All important but there is one thing that you can’t live without. A wine glass. I am sure I look ten years younger from drinking every night. Who needs botox? The frown dissolves. The wrinkles disappear. The stressed heart slows down to a glorious pace. But why spend a fortune on wine glasses when you desperately need new Miu Miu heels? Head into the deep, deep lower WBJ and scamper into Hot Dollar. There you will find the Reidel inspired tall, straight wine glasses with absolutely no curves. Simple, chic and just $2.50. Which means you will be able to afford rehab when the time comes. Hic.
$2.50 Wine Glass from Hot Dollar.
I received a card once. It read. “The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you have finished”. The same applies to cosmetics. When do you finish using them? Do you apply anti-wrinkle cream for ever? What a dumb question. Of course you do. And my favourite at the moment is the Ultraceuticals Ulra C sheer facial cream. Is it my imagination or is my skin clearer, smoother, softer? They say it is pure 20% Vitamin C and assists photoageing prevention and stimulation of collagen synthesis. It has Patented CSIRO technology - orange patent is right on trend this season – which provides pure vitamin C absorption. It should improve the appearance dull skin and fine lines and restore a smoother, softer more youthful radiance. I keep applying it. Then I lie around doing nothing waiting to know if it’s finished working.
$130 Ultraceuticals Ultra C Treatment Cream from David Jones.
• For her sequel as the face of another Louis Vuitton campaign, Scarlett Johansson, shot by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott, played movie star. Evoking at turns Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly, Johansson displays voluptuous glamour in the color-drenched fall spots, slated to break in August fashion magazines. Vuitton creative director Marc Jacobs "adores" Johansson and based his fall-winter collection for the house around her character in "Girl With a Pearl Earring," the 2003 feature film.
• David Yurman has tapped Natalia Vodianova, longtime model for Calvin Klein, to join Daria Werbowy and Kate Moss for the jeweler’s fall ad campaign. Peter Lindbergh shot the trio in St. Barths.
• Off to Europe? The May 07 issue of Travel and Leisure is a must read! http://www.travelandleisure.com/toc/index.cfm?month=200705
• Julian Schnabel’s "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," which premiered Tuesday in Cannes.The movie is an adaptation of the memoir of a former editor of French Elle, Jean-Dominique Bauby, who was paralyzed by a stroke in 1995. Croze’s character, Henriette Durand, is based on the nurse who invented the communications system that enabled Bauby to write his book by blinking his left eye. Bless
• Faye Dunaway and Daryl Hannah, in black berets and toting machine guns, might not sound like a recipe for a fashion movie. But it is for Jeff Espanol, one of a swarm of filmmakers seeking funding in Cannes this week for his project, "Fashion: The Movie." "It’s about members of the CIA who are sent to kill bad guys within the fashion industry," growled Espanol of his would-be action thriller, set in all of the fashion spots from Saint-Tropez to Moscow. Bad guys in fashion? Who knew?
• Here’s the place to go for luxury holidays http://www.exsus.com/• Australian Model Gemma Ward hit the red carpet at the 60th Cannes Film Festival as a guest of French Vogue editor Carine Roitfeld.
• Ant’s Nest and Ant’s Hill are two exceptional bush homes situated on adjoining private game reserves in the malaria free Waterberg, 3 hours north west of Johannesburg.http://waterberg.net/
• In London you must belong to the new club Shoreditch House opening in June. From the same people who run High Road House in Chiswick, Babington House in Somerset and Soho House New York http://www.shoreditchhouse.com/
• Stay here in Cape Town http://www.ellerman.co.za/flash_content/flash_content.html• Off to Costa Rica? Stay here http://www.milarepahotel.com/
• Heading to Marrakech? It’s divine at this Hotel http://www.riadelfenn.com/
• Off to Paris? Everything you need to know is here http://www.parisinfo.com/
• In Italy you might just want to stay here, gorgeous! http://villabordoni.it/en/hotel.html
It’s all here and everything you need to know about The Venice Biennale
Live Earth is a 24-hour, 7-continent series of 9 concerts taking place on 7/7/07 that will bring together more than 100 music artists and 2 billion people to trigger a global movement to solve the climate crisis…
• Paris Hilton forgets bra. Finds Jesus ….Okay … it’s one thing for Paris Hilton to be carrying around a Bible for all the world to see … but it’s quite another to see her actually reading …
• It looks like TomKat will be cooking up a new fake baby soon
• Jessica Simpson and John Mayer broke up
• Jessica Simpson and John Mayer are back together
• Nicole Richie has hit out at claims she is in rehab fighting anorexia and a addiction to painkillers, insisting she is enjoying life at home. She’s enjoying life at home drinking and vomiting. Sorry.
• Tyra Banks has lost 30 pounds in five months after photographs of her beachwear left her in tears. Banks insisted the shots of her in a bikini during a winter break were just taken from a bad angle. 30lbs of bad angle?
• Paula Abdul is recovering after breaking her nose after she tripped over her Chihuahua. Hic!
• Wow … I didn’t think it was possible but Victoria Beckham actually found a blouse that is strong enough to contain her unstoppable nipples (sayspinkisthenewblog)
• 44-year-old Demi Moore says she’d like to have a son with her 28-year-old husband Ashton Kutcher Really? Kids? With Ashton Kutcher? I’m not saying that’s a bad idea, but a pet raccoon would probably be a more responsible parent says the superfical
• Lindsay Lohan partied at Anchor Bar with two friends. Which, in case you didn’t know, is exactly what’s recommended after leaving rehab. (I’m pretty sure she put her lipstick on with a mop says the superficial)
• Paris Hilton’s jail sentence has been cut in half from 45 days to 23 due to "good behavior." What is this good behavior they’re talking about? The only thing she’s done so far is show up late to her court hearing. Oh, she didn’t murder anybody? That’s another 23 days off. At this rate they’ll end up sending her on a Hawaii vacation and apologizing.
• George Clooney put himself on the auction block during amfAR’s Cinema Against AIDS 2007 benefit event in Cannes. The highest bidder got the chance to smooch him. French kiss
• Victoria Beckham played a joke on photographers by sending an inflatable lookalike doll out in a chauffer-driven car wearing a blonde a wig and a pair of Victoria’s trademark oversize sunglasses. Paparazzi followed it for hours. Imagine people mistaking a blow-up doll for Victoria Beckham?
Cannes (Paperback) by Kieron Corless and Chris Darke
Since its inception in 1946, the Cannes Film Festival has embraced the high-brow and the high-glam - new cinema from Iran or China and red carpet parades from Madonna or Nicole Kidman. Who is not familiar with Cannes’ famous paparazzi scrums, beachfront happenings and world premieres? But the history of Cannes is also famous for scandals and controversies, where the great nations of the world have gathered and clashed. This vivid and beguiling history reveals the best and most revelatory tales from this festival’s spectacular history through previously untold first-hand accounts from key players.
£8.44 http://www.amazon.co.uk/ Publisher: Faber and Faber (3 May 2007)
The Christmas List
Visionaire No.51: Harmony Black (Visionaire) (Hardcover) by Visionaire (Editor)
The next limited edition issue of the deluxe fashion quarterly, Visionaire, comes in the form of two sets of enigmatic, giant puzzles, with each set containing six puzzles and each puzzle measuring three feet tall by three feet wide. For the issue, the editors asked 12 artists to share a secret that could only be revealed with an image. The answer to the riddle can only be answered by assembling the puzzle and discovering the image, whether a giant portrait, a life-sized animal, an abstract artwork, an epic landscape or a close-up detail. Each puzzle consists of 25 puzzle pieces approximately 6.5 inches tall and wide. Each set comes packaged inside an 8.5 x 8.5 inch sculptural cube. Cool.
$175 http://www.amazon.com/ Publisher: Visionaire Publishing, LLC (May 1, 2007)
I still see Stella McCartney crop trousers now on sale for $39. What the? They have a very narrow leg and I can see they would not flatter a lot of shapes. Also the grey and black trench is still here to now reduced to about $79. The rest of the Stella is not worth looking at. But while you are there check out the outrageously inexpensive dark denim stretch jeans for $49. They have a wider boot leg but you can get that taken in. There are chic, yes chic, rib knit V neck cardigans in a dark grey or black $89 and lots of fab wool melton peacoat for about $89. If you can stand the smell of plastic (just hold your nose) you can run into the shoes department and buy the patent peep toe heels in grey or black for $39. What the? that is the same price as Italian Vogue.
I see some very Marc Jacobs inspired quilted Stam bags here in a caramel or black with gold chain strap about $229. Snazzy. Also buy the huge grey oversized tote with outside pockets $229 also in tan. The grey Prada esque strapless dress is still here begging to be bought for $99. Layer over a poloneck sweater and cinch in with a belt Chic de la chic. The double breasted wool peacoat is a fab, wear it jeans or to work and it will always look great $199. Also buy the short sleeve grey knit sweater dress $129 and the grey hood single breasted wool melton coat is cool $299. The short trench in a silver or caramel is great $199 and if you have the legs you must wear the short cuffed shorts $129. The snazzy chiffon empire dress will look chic under a trench $199.
New in is a gorgeous grey round neck sweaters that sit very snugly so great for layering under everything about $99 and I love the stripe T shirts here in grey and black $79. Buy the black and navy print chiffon dresses $199 and the crop jackets in brown check $199. Also check out the wool black tulip skirt now reduced to $99. Love the Prada ish blue satin round neck T about $129 and the Prada ish navy satin shift dress, so cute about $199.
This store is a must stop and shop! There are just so many great pieces here that the whole store should really be this week’s cheap but chic. Best buy are grey marle dress with a belt and gathered front $129; the fabulous sheer navy blouse with black piping $119; (everyone needs a blouse this season) and the silver lurex knit dress that has ribbing on the front but then skims over the bottom and hips. How thoughtful. You will recognize the gold and navy stripe all over short sequin mini dress ( a la marc Jacobs) $199 it’s the same as the black one used in the whatswhat TV ads under the stone Country Road trench. Also buy the cotton cream trench coat it’s very similar to the Country Road one and its double breasted with black buttons. Also there is a fab grey blouson jacket, very cool now reduced to $89. Bargain. The black shirt tulip min I dress with wide straps is very Lanvin inspired and so cute but to short for those with cellulite or anyone over 35. Bless. Even with leggings you cannot wear it. Sorry. The classic grey trousers are fabulous $139. Very Marni. The cotton twill zip front bomber is cool $179. But wait there’s more… Please go and check it out.
David Jones Shoes:
I spy black Marc Jacobs gumboots on sale, they only come to the shin but are very cute now $200, and bronze patent short boots by Marc Jacobs now $350 from $950.
Check out the cream chunky knit oversized cardigan $179, the grey knit sweater dress with a belt and bell sleeves $199 and the little tank in a knit are divine too for $89. Anything is divine for $89 non? Go here for the perfect grey wool trousers $199 – a must buy for this winter they look great a la Marni with a cream belt (thanks Country Road) and add another dimension to black. Also grey slouchey pants look great on the weekends with converse or flats. Also buy here the perfect rib poloneck sweater for when it gets really cold $149. The grey princess short wool melton peaccoat with an empire looseness is a great buy too. Wear it with a pencil skirt, with jeans, with old grey marle trackpants for god’s sake (I know you have them!). Then buy the grey empire fine knit sweater $129 which will perform miracles and hide all sorts of lumps and bumps that may appear around your middle. The dark denim jeans are just the right colour and cut $149 and so is the dark grey wool pencil skirt $179. I see a few things on sale particularly the blue satin pleat shoe string empire cami, sexy and so very flattering. I have seen a lot of women try this and it really is an amazing cut. Now about $129.
New in this week is a chic little cotton black and white gingham check empire cami $89, the satin and cotton square neck cami $79 in black and cream - so right when layered under lots of knits and so right for transeasonal warm weather. Check out the dark grey /blue ¾ sleeves cotton crop zip through parka trench, very casual but cute $179 and the fabulous khaki taupe sice pocket cotton chinos, also in black, for you I know they will fit . A little flared but you can live with that $99. Buy the colour blocked T shirt in beige, light blue and navy $49 and the gorgeous deep V dark grey knit, long line hoodie, really a dress to the knee $129. There are black and white chunky tweed knit crop poloneck sweater, also in red perfect for those weekends away $99 and some fab cords in grey or black, a great cut for anyone over a size 10 (scientific tests have proved it!) $119. Buy the red and white red marni ish check cotton cami $99 and the poloneck sweater dress $119.
Looking much groovier here this season. Buy the black wool knit poncho $129. You wear it so that the front hem tucks into your belt or you could just belt it in. Also check out the cotton heavy twill cape, it’s so cute with buttons along the front $199 in a black or beige and the caramel cord empire peacoat is handy $169. Buy the sexy mama black jersey dress with a serious cleavage, a tie back belt and sleeves that cover just enough of your arms. It’s a winner $199. Check out the oversized deep V vest in a knit or is it a mini dress? You decide $129. The single breasted trench coats are always a great buy here $299 in black or stone. The caramel wool cape is groovy $269. Just think what you can hide under there. All those croissants with butter you ate last year. The bags are great here too.
Oh,how lovely to come back to the Mothership and to pray here at the grand Alter of fashion. You want it all. In the bags buy the divine satin clutch bags with a chain strap $2000, the cute little satin two handle evening bags in pink and orange or black. Remember the only time you can wear pink is if it’s from Prada or Lanvin. Love the cute robot embroidered tote bags and the divine deer skin wallets about $700. The black leather fringe cuff and necklace are amazing. You want the rouched bags in choc brown although the fringe bags are here as seen in all the ads they are very over the top. There are some cute trainers $480, black fringe sling back heels, amazing $760 and so are the silver patent platforms diamante heels $1230. There are some chic little flat T bar sandals also in gold $650 and the fab little ballets flats seen in all the adds in pink and orange about $600. In the clothing why not indulge yourself with the Prada Sport denim poets blouson dress with drawstring sleeves – everyone has copied it - $1550 and the groovy black parka with its own silver buckle belt. It’s worth buying it just for that about $1200. Love the red patent hood jacket – ooh la la - $1150 with short sleeves almost poncho style or the satin mini velvet $1120. Drool over the brown quilted nylon zip rouched jacket $900, and the snazzy zip through hoodie with a subtle Prada logo on the back $880. There are divine cashmere puff sleeve knit $930, a divine cream tank $570 (buy 2) and a beautiful beige, cotton satine belted shift dress $830. Buy the gorgeous beige patent zip hoodie $1210. The black silk high neck sleeveless dress which has a low back is a must buy $1940, and so is the black satin opera coat $3040 (buy 2). The satin mini skirts are here $1040 and for the young. You want the pleat front dress with petal pockets, divine $5030 and all the white story in cotton. Simple and chic. Buy the satin turban here as well as the satin cuff and headband.
There are too many beautiful pieces to write about but please go in and drool over the Marni, the Dries Van Noten, the Alberta Ferretti and the Lanvin. I see new Pierre hardy heels and divine new bags plus Missoni sunglasses. Chanel - I see so many divine bags here for the chic 2.55 quilted bags to the new clear plastic open totes with a chain strap. Check out the amazing clear plastic Perspex and gold platform heels and the chic ballet flats. You want the cute denim camellia cork wedges and the white and orange orange grosgrain boots. The huge quilted nylon and leather weekend totes are fabulous in black or beige. Buy the black patent trim cardigan $1900, the red quilted bags and the black sheer T shirt. The white sequin dress is just for the red carpet about $6000. Drool over the black gold crossover front dress $6000. The black knit dress is a steal at $1600. The black patent flat T bar sandals are gorgeous with silver discs along the T bar. A must buy in anyone’s language. Mais oui. You will love the black patent umbrella and the black patent bracelet.
Are on sale so head in here to check some fabulous shoes and bags for 20% off. You want the Miu Miu black wedge sling backs now about $380, the Miu Miu navy velvet T bar heels sandals with huge blue jewel front now about $500. The Rupert Sanderson red patent round toe heels now about $600 and the Rupert Sanderson blue patent serious heels now about $600. Love the silver metallic Miu Miu ballet flats with big black jewel toe now reduced ot about $500. Buy the Miu Miu black velvet ankle strap heels now $400. Also check out the Miu Miu glitter flats now $439. New in is a fabulous Miu Miu tan quilted double handle tote, gorgeous about $2000 and a fab red Miu Miu ruched one handle bag with gold hardware about $2000. New in are the fabulous Barbara Bui black sling back heels with a huge patent heel and mini platform about $598.
Pumpkin and Marscapone Risotto…
Cold weather means risotto. This one is easy, you throw in the pumpkin with the rice so it more or less melts through the risotto. It’s fabulous with a dollop of marscapone on the top. (Isn’t everything?)
You need for 6 girls, 20 models, 4 men.
3 to 4 garlic cloves
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
About 6 cups of hot chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 KG pumpkin
1 cup freshly shaved Parmesan
70g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Small bunch of thyme
½ cup marscapone cheese
• Grab the onion
• Throw on the Missoni sunglasses
• Apply waterproof mascara
• Chop onion
• Don’t cry
• Chop garlic into big chunky bits
• Pour a glass of wine
• Get someone else to chop and peel the pumpkin. It’s too boring. Keep the pieces quite big so they keep their shape after cooking. Think the size of a Chanel cuff. Hint: George Clooney is in Cannes so he can’t do it
• Heat up the stock
• Grab a saucepan, and heat the butter
• Add olive oil if you think it needs it
• Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring away until it’s softened for about 3 to 4 minutes
• Smells divine
• Add the pumpkin and sauté and cook it for about ten minutes until tender
• Add the rice and the wine and keep stirring. Think of the biceps.
• Refill your wine glass now because you need to stay put at the stove while you make the risotto.
• Keep adding the stock and stirring till the rice is cooked. It may take about 20 mins.
• Watch it turn a pretty orange as some of pumpkin slowly dissolves into the rice.
• Add a sprinkling of fresh Thyme
• Add some fresh parmesan
• Lots of salt and pepper
• Drizzle on a dollop of marscapone
• Oh the orange! The green! The white!
The Science of Sleep….Directed by French writer/director Michel Gondry it’s his first non-documentary film after 2004’s ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND.
Genre: Kooky romance comedy drama
Subtitles: Mais oui!
Who: Gael Garcia Bernal, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Miou-Miou, Alain Chabat
The Plot: Paris 2006.Shy Boy meets plain girl. Plain Girl meets shy boy. He has Kooky dreams. Leads mundane life. Has more kooky dreams. Has crush on girl. Has weird dreams. Fights with girl. Has more weird dreams. Awkward first love blossoms. A little. A few more Kooky weird dreams. Everything happens. Nothing happens. The end
Acting: Gael Garcia Bernal is very handsome. Charlotte Gainsbourg is cool. Both fabulous
Photography: it’s all over the place like a crazy hallucination.
Design: It’s so over the top and amazingly inventive. And very French.
Wardrobe: Charlotte Gainsbourg is Nicolas Ghesquiere’s muse and she wearsw a lot of Balenciaga: I see a kahki parka winter 03, the cream cable sweater dress winter 05 and cool sweaters. She also wears a shonky vintage moth eaten sweater.
Salon de Beaute: What salon de Beaute? Did Charlotte Gainsbourg do her own hair and makeup? “Gainsbourg has anti-film presence. Why is she in movies hiding from the camera and not wearing makeup or combing her hair? “FilmsInReview.com
Botox: The writer/ director needs a shot of this every day if he has dreams like this.
Waterproof Mascara: You may need it for the quirky laughs.
Blood ’n’ Guts: Non..Merci!
Mind drifted to shopping: When in Paris one always thinks of shops non?
Smokin’ smooches: There are some sexy scenes but only in his dreams
Car chases: too boring for this crazy movie
Rename It: Sweet Dream are Made of this. (Kooky is as kooky does)
Moral to the story: Close your eyes and open your heart
Best Review: “ An endearing, beautiful, hopelessly honest mess that’s supported by a pair of performances so unnaturally natural that they draw you in and clutch you, struggling, to their flipping, flopping hearts.” Austin Chronicle.
Best Worst Review:” A painfully bad film.This ridiculous art-house nonsense is supposed to be a comedy, but I never laughed nor did I ever even come close to smiling.” Internet Reviews.
See it or donate to the Prada Bag fund: You dream of a Prada bag? You can have it! ( in your dreams). Wonderfully strange and magically enchanting, see this movie and you will understand Miuccia Prada’s kooky and wildly imaginative European sensibility. And you will have fun too.
http://wip.warnerbros.com/scienceofsleep/ Check out the kooky site.