Coco Chanel’s secret to looking fabulous? She said before you go out, look in the mirror and take one thing off. Obviously there are people like Britney Spears who take off the wrong piece of clothing. Minimalism is always chic and over accessorizing is not a good look. If you wear jewellery don’t pile it on every available exposed piece of skin. Keep the focus on one area and then pile it on. Layer on tons of necklaces and leave the earrings and bracelets off. Or pile on the fabulous wooden bracelets from Sportsgirl. Grab 4 or 5 and just load them up your wrists. They come in different sizes from wide to narrow and look so chic dangling from just one wrist. Just make sure you put your coat on first. And if you take anything off make sure it’s something from last season.
$14 wooden bracelets from Sportsgirl.
You want a big, grey, oversized handbag this season:
If you are afraid of wearing pink or prints or both - and you should be – why not just go for pink prints in accessories? The Pucci-printed cosmetics range from Guerlain is groovy. It works two ways. The Meteorites illuminator beads will you a fabulous healthy glow. And the funky Pucci print makeup bag it comes in will bring a flush to your cheeks every time you spot it waving happily to you in the bottom of your handbag.
$120 Guerlain Pucci-printed Cosmetics range from Myer and David Jones.
• Check out the latest groovy Eric Goode Hotel in New York http://www.theboweryhotel.com/. Cool
• Stay here in the British Virgin islands http://peterisland.com/
• Off to Greece? Stay here at Mykonos http://www.myconiancollection.gr/ambassador/accommodations-en.htm
• Stay here at the chic Chambers Hotel in New York http://www.chambershotel.com/en_Inside.html
• This is a cool site for hip hotels http://www.mrandmrssmith.com/
• This is David Geffen’s resort in Malibu http://www.malibubeachinn.com/rooms/index.cfm
• Andre Balazs will be opening The Standard Hotel in New York. Check out the groovy site http://www.andrebalazsproperties.com/
• This is the best site to down load for maps http://www.multimap.com/
• This is a very chic site for discerning travelers http://www.indagare.com/
• Check out this cute site for renting apartments around the world http://www.vrbo.com
• Chanel is offering daily podcasts with tidbits about the inspirations for the latest cruise collection. Chanel is staging a show at the Santa Monica Airport in LA, so naturally, today’s podcast shows airplanes, as well as Chanel suitcases going through an airport’s X-ray machines. The podcasts will be available on iTunes, and can also be subscribed to on chanel.com. If the inspirations don’t satisfy, the show itself will be available on Chanel’s site on May 19. http://www.chanel.com/
• Sienna and Savannah Miller are opening a store in London’s Notting Hill to launch their clothing line, Twenty8Twelve.
• Norah Jones and Jude Law opened the 60th annual Cannes Film Festival with a screening of their film, My Blueberry Nights, on Wednesday.
• A British coroner has ruled that fashion icon Isabella Blow died of an overdose. The stylist and former fashion editor of Tatler and the London Sunday Times died last week Initial reports had suggested that Blow had died of cancer, but tests showed paraquat a weed killer. Blow had learnt this spring she was suffering from ovarian cancer and had made previous suicide attempts, including throwing herself off the Hammersmith flyover in West London, leaving her with serious leg injuries. Bless
Love this site. People are giving things away. That’s right. Free. You just collect it and it’s yours
“ Just because something isn’t worth selling doesn’t mean it’s worthless. Don’t throw it away put it on e-Cycled! e-Cycled is a safe, easy and FREE way to get in touch with people in your area who are looking for things you don’t need anymore’
This is a fabulous fashion vintage recycling store based in Perth with all sorts of divine goodies…
- Britney Spears is allegedly so mad at her mom for urging her into rehab she’s cut off all communication with her and even refused to visit her in the hospital on Mother’s Day. (Britney Spears has always had really good judgement and makes great decisions, so I’m sure this was for the best)
- Petra Nemcova, who recently broke up with James Blunt, rebounded with Paris Hilton’s ex Stavros Niarchos (I didn’t think it was possible, but this chick has worse taste in men than Pamela Anderson says thesuperficial)
Nicole Richie was dumped by Good Charlotte singer Joel Madden at the MTV Australia Video Music Awards.
- Paris Hilton’s psychiatrist says she’s "distraught and traumatized" and "fears incarceration" over her 45-day jail sentence, (Can you imagine being Paris Hilton’s psychiatrist? It doesn’t even matter what Paris says, the psychiatrist would just spend the whole time nodding along going "Mmm hmm, mmm hmm" while scribbling "insane" in their notebook and underlining it reports thesuperficial) Ditto Britney
- Watch the countdown clock to jail for Paris http://usmagazine.com/
- A whopping three people turned up demanding a judge reconsider sending Hilton to jail.
- Sheryl Crow has adopted a baby boy 2 weeks ago.
- Justin Timberlake has gone public with new love Jessica Biel.
- Avril Lavigne wants the world to know that she’s a grown-up mature woman … so, of course, she decides to pose topless on the cover of Blender magazine
- Marilyn Manson will not confirm or deny the rumor that he actually had sex with Evan Rachel Wood in his new music video. We don’t want to know thank you.
- With only 3 weeks left of freedom, Paris Hilton is resorting to drastic measures in order to find some way … some miracle … that can keep her booty from being locked up behind bars. Paris has stayed far away from the clubs, which is a shock in and of itself, but yesterday Paris actually did the unthinkable … she went to church reports pinkisthenewblog. Too late now.
- Pete Doherty showed up at Kate Moss’ place with a basket full of kittens which he, presumably, wanted to give her for Mother’s Day … Kate wasn’t home so Pete had to take the kittens home with him … so that he could snort them. Reports pink
- Britney Spears was spotted walking around town with a towel tied around her head and dressed like some sort of clown/porn star. And sure, why not? Nothing surprises us anymore.
A Model Summer by Paulina Porizkova
This novel did not get great reviews but if you are a fashionista you will be interested in anything written by a model about the fashion industry. ‘Set in 1980, this smooth, predictable first novel by model, actress and children’s book author Porizkova tells the story of Jirina, who arrives in Paris a beautiful 15-year-old aspiring model. Subject to harsh physical scrutiny; smarmy photographers; long, grueling days; and hostile fellow models, Jirina has to grow up fast or go home. And grow up she does–experimenting with alcohol, drugs, and sex, eventually becoming pregnant.Her drive is palpable and her voice believable, but Jirina isn’t much fun and you can see the plot points coming from way down the runway. Bless.
$16 http://www.amazon.com/ Publisher: Hyperion (April 10, 2007
The Christmas List
Tord Boontje by Martina Margetts (Author), Tord Boontje (Contributor)
One of the most original and innovative product and furniture designers working today, Boontje is an artist and a craftsman, and his lamps, chairs, fabric designs, paper products, and art installations have vaulted him into the top ranks of contemporary design culture. Featured in exhibitions at the Milan Furniture Fair, the Victoria and Albert Museum and Art Basel: Miami, the unique paper creations and furniture developed by Boontje have become global objects of desire. Lavishly illustrated the book is an art object in itself featuring a number of custom printing effects-stencils, perforated and die-cut pages, and textured and woven details-that capture the intricacy of Boontje’s approach to pattern-making” Cool
$40 http://www.amazon.com/ Publisher: Rizzoli (April 24, 2007)
Check out the David Jones own label wool ponchos – no, not in wool but awfully chic with fringes. Great for weekend dressing. Go for the one in a divine camel, burgundy and brown wide stripe $69. Bargain. So what if it’s acrylic?. It’s not about keeping warm is it this winter? (But when it gets cold don’t stand too near the open fire…)
Check out the groovy grey wool melton double breasted peacoat with a hood, and tortoiseshell buttons, almost like a duffle coat $169 and the cute little trapeze dresses $59. There are some groovy coats in wool Melton with big collars and belted, chic but who is buying them or wearing them in this mild winter weather? $159. The wool patch front mini dress is cute, very Miu Miu with appliqué on the front for you in greys and black. It has cute puffed sleeves too $119. The poloneck fit’n’flare sweater dress is a great buy in grey, black and brown $69; Skims the bumps. Thank the lord. The crop red melton peacoat is cool $129. The long cardigans are great $69 and so is the V neck sweater dress about $89. In the accessories check out the silver heels as reported in cheap but chic of the week, the blue patent peep toe heels $99; and the silver and gold ballet flats about $69. There are some cute hats and caps in tweed, cord or velvet from about $19. Check out the cute metallic clutch bags $29.
It looks as if a few pieces are on sale such as the white wool melton short peacoat now $169. Also check out the cool puff sleeve jersey T shirt dress $89. It’s everywhere and will be ubiquitous next season. Buy now, wear now and thrash the look till next summer. Also buy the silver beaded sequin tank on a grey fabric $129, the fit and flared brown jersey dress with a round neck $119, and the crop chino pants in stone now reduced to $49. I see some groovy dark stone chinos for $99 which look as if they have a great cut. The trapeze navy cotton jersey dress with a bell sleeve looks chic $49 and the black jersey trapeze dress wit big balloon short sleeves a la Burberry and Lanvin is very cute. It’s a mini so you need leggings or surgery $49. A bargain. Also buy the poloneck sweater dress in black or brown $99. There are leggings galore here too. The black cotton trench is a fabulous buy $189. The patent flat peep toe a la Miu Miu are cute $99 and so is the big grey oversized bag $349.There are a lot of quilted hood parkas here as well as sleeveless vests but of course they will all be on sale very soon but who is buying cold weather coats when it’s not really cold outside?
There are quite a few good very classic pieces here especially good for the luxuriously shaped ladies. That is to say curvy and over a size 14. Bless. Checkout the classic grey pants $139, the round neck slinky long sleeve T’s $89 and the simple grey single breasted wool peacoat. It covers the bottom, how thoughtful $299. The long black cardigan is perfect for weekends away in the country, it doesn’t have buttons and is long, long, long so it’s almost a blanket $189. The choc brown knit is great and so is the grey cable knit poloneck sweater , it’s a tighter fit so that it will look great with jeans $130.
Oh, it’s such a tribute to Prada here. Good on them. They are the first to do the satin look which Prada showed for summer 07. Love the navy satin empire T with yellow lining in the sleeves $135, the satin navy short dress with a square neckline and the Miu Miu satin sheath dress with a V neck insert and trimmed in orange $249. There is a classic black chiffon blouse with a brown check and double cuffs, chic $189. The choc brown shift dress in taffeta with jewels along the neckline is very Miu Miu $385. Also check out the bronze square neck simple dress with balloon sleeves $258. The patent belts and gold bags are cool too. Also don’t forget the gold sequin detachable hood to change all your daggy outfits. Go here for fabulous ballon skirts so right for work and cute little cotton pussy bow blouses. Miss Marple never looked so sexy.
Love their divine little clutch bags in velvet with amazing coloured jewels scattered on the front, so very Miu Miu $199, in red velvet or black velvet. Also check out the big oversized canvas bag with leather trim in an interesting dark green, it could almost be a groovy laptop bag $199, also in orange and the Khaki green double handle tote with outside pockets with NO hardware. Understated chic. There are fab leather gloves in red with taupe finger inserts, or try the taupe with black or black with choc brown about $99. The beautiful paisley scarves that are embroidered are very Dries Van Noten and a bit hippy but chic $139. The hats here are great, go for the trilby and the very Balenciaga 60’s wool felt caps. Love the faux diamante drop earrings in red or clear about $129, the cute little stud or drop jewel earrings $69 and the fabulous big black chunky rings $169. Buy the resin cuffs in red, black or cream $69 and the long square chunky link necklaces about $169.
There is a fab stone trench in here which sold out but I see it’s back . It’s DB, belted with classic buttons and the right long length to the knee $199. There is also a very simple black ruched Prada ish style sleeveless dress with a belt in a cotton twill $229. Also buy the green, blue, purple swirl print trapeze mini dress in a chiffon with bell sleeves and a pussy bow neck, groovy baby $339.
It seems this collection is always delivered late in the season to the stores. Check out classic, black high waisted skinny pants $239, the white poets blouses $179 and the sexy one shoulder dress in a black is on sale now $189. One shoulder is groovy you know. Think Kate Moss and Versace not Lady Di. The black taffeta dumb black shift is dress is chic $189, it’s simple and almost Jackie O. Wear it with Roger Vivier flats and a trench. The white, grey marle or black shirt dress is hot. It’s a groovy 70’s jersey button through dress and very sexy $249. Wear it with heels and flash some leg. You may get a promotion. The gold black lurex knit top is groovy $229. Always wear lurex with black or it looks cheap. We don’t want FiFi Readers ever looking cheap. Also check out the sexy mini sweatshirt dress, so Flash dance in a grey marle $129. It has a wide neckline and it’s really a sweatshirt that has grown to cover the bottom and not much else. For the under 30’s. The cotton twill short skirt is classic but very handy $189 and the black leather bomber jacket is so groovy $560. Wear it over a soft pretty dress. It’s all about the juxtaposition of the pretty with the tough. Love it! I see alot of hot pink, Oh dear. You can only wear hot pink if you are 5 years old. Maybe15. Or if it’s the divine pink sheath dress with puff sleeves that opened the Lanvin winter 07 collection. But that is in a Fuschia. What else to buy here? The belted nylon parka is cool $535 and so is the sexy strapless jersey slinky dress $499. Love the cape, it has double breasted buttons and is perfect to wear this winter and next. The black trench in cotton twill is a must buy $425. There is a grrovy boiled wool zip front short biker jacket about $400.
There are a lot of good pieces in here this season, it’s not so tricked up and over the top as it has been. Last season was very Versace goes suburban. Look for the camel velvet peacoat, infact it’s a princess coat. Double breasted with a big collar, it’s very chic $740 and buy the red or black short peacoat, almost military with dull brass buttons $660. The knits here are great. If you want something snazzier than a simple poloneck you find them here with a bell sleeves (very Hermes) and with silver buckles on the cuffs $320. Also the flat knit V neck cardigans with a little thin self belt with silver buckle are very Prada $245. The wool military cardigan jacket is very easy to wear because it’s not a jacket but not a boring old cardigan $430; and buy the black wool twill trench coat, gorgeous $920. There is a choc brown velvet trench coat $560, chic de la chic. There is a lot of navy here too which looks so right this season with black. How nice.
best buy here is the trench coat $299 and the grey single breasted wool coat $399.There is a sale on too.
There are a few pieces here that are groovy. I see a lot of Lanvin tributes as well as Jil Sander and Burberry. There is a talent for copying the right designers and in lovely fabrics. So don’t think it’s just for your mother. Carla’s daughter Bianca Spender is designing a few pieces in this collection and it looks chic. I love the black trapeze dress, almost a halter dress with a cutaway high frill collar and drawstring neckline $599 and the Lanvin inspired black tiered trapeze dress with frill sleeves is fab $549. The slinky navy polo neck loose T is a great classic buy $299 and so are the simple wide black pants $369. The black velvet cape with a satin ribbon trim with a big collar is gorgeous $589. Buy the very Armani collarless fitted black to the knee coat $899 and the fake fur chubby $399.
Tino Lanzi Shoes and bags: If you after very Chanel esque ballet flats go here (in Skygarden ) for gorgeous quality flats. There are chic black patent , two tone and classic black and choc brown $395. There are also very Gucci style loafers (made in the same factory ) about $395.
David Jones bags:
I spy lots of new Marc Jacobs bags. How fabulous.. There are Stam bags galore which as you know are the quilted ones with a serious gold chain strap (an ode to Chanel and to Jacobs muse model Jessica Stam). You want the cream one $2900. Also check out the Marc Jacobs small clutch $2600 and the white quilted bag with gold hardware $2600. Buy the white one handle bag with outside pockets, zip and hardware $2500 and the black version with 2 handles. Also drool over the bronze bag with 2 handles and a chunky gold chain with the outside pockets and gold hardware about $3000. Buy the divine Marc Jacobs small clutch bag about $450. It could be a wallet in a snazzy camel leather and a big Marc Jacobs stamp on the front ( in case you don’t realize it’s expensive). Also the zip top wallets or makeup bags are in black about $340. Groovy. Also in the bag department check out the Armani choc brown suede slouch bag with one handle and silver hardware, gorgeous $2100. There are new Chloe bags too, we are over the Paddington bags but there is still a gorgeous black Betty bag with all those pockets and zips $2800. Then buy the divine Ferragamo simple bags in a dark brown with black metal hardware, very stealth wealth about $2400.
Bally King St, City:
Head here for the collection of gorgeous Bally clothes. You want the cotton satine pants in black $525 and the fabulous white dinner shirt with gold ribbon tie $695. Buy the gold/beige chiffon trim tanks with amazing pleats down the front $525 and the divine black V neck cashmere tank with a fabulous black chiffon neck tie $450. There is a gorgeous black single breasted wool cashmere coat with a black leather belt and little black leather detail on the cuff $1400. Divine! Check out the fabulous gold zip leather jacket $3300 which is collarless and a lot of zips on the pockets, snazzy! . I see that the very Miu Miu A line black and white cotton mod print skirt is still here and still groovy $696. Also check out the skinny jeans $450 and the red cotton pleat front skirt $595. Buy the fab leather bomber jacket with brass zip detail $3200 and the matching tan leather skirt with patch pockets $1500. But please don’t wear together or you will look like Victoria Beckham. Love the chiffon soft pink cutaway sleeveless blouse with a pussy bow neck, divine $450.
Burberry: Burberry Prorsum is becoming one of the collections to watch. Christopher Bailey is a genius. His latest winter collect ion got rave reviews. Puff sleeve jackets? Puff sleeve dresses? Gold Belted trenches? It’s all because of him. You can see his influence everywhere. Now drool over the clothes. Head upstairs in the store in King St and you will be so happy when you touch such divine clothes. Buy the crop, puff sleeve tan leather jacket $4400; the black empire cashmere V neck sweater $1100; and the silver grey T shirt with big square jewels encrusted on the front $4100. Love, love, the brocade full skirts in a blue or pink with silver thread $1600, the sweaters with matching jeweled scarves $800 and the pretty silver organza print short sleeves shirt waister dress. There is a fabulous double breasted trench with puff sleeves $3600 seen in all the magazines. You want it. Buy the divine short crop stone trench with huge silver buttons $2800. Also drool over the short sensational silver lurex full skirt $1900 and the navy trench with gold buttons $2900. Now can we talk bags? You have seen them staring back at you from the magazines now you can stare at them here. You want the big double handle open tote in silver with a tiny cotton stripe and a drawstring $2900, the amazing beige patent huge tote $3900 and the patent beige quilted open top tote with a padlock $2900. The canvas with brown leather trim overnight bags are gorgeous for $2700 and so are the matching men’s messenger bags. George Clooney will love that for his birthday.. Love the silver platform sling back heels , gorgeous and watch out for the jewellery here too. The big chunky silver bracelet is the fab $500 and so is the silver chunky link necklace $800. There are snazzy belts with big huge jewels about $800. Thank you.
It’s sad how much we miss Tom Ford. There is nothing alluring about Gucci anymore. And the bags are not really making the heart beat faster. I do see some cool shoes, chic belts and of course there are a few pieces of clothes that are gorgeous. Check out the divine cashmere knit top in pinks and red with puff sleeves and a purple trim about $1100, the black mini skirt with red and purple suede ribbon trim on the hem and the beautiful black organza ruffle trim blouse $1200. I see a fab black brocade peacoat $2500 and some fab black drape jersey tops $900. Love the black empire dress with red and pink ribbon trim. In the shoe department buy the silver ankle strap wedges $700 with a horsebit detail; the fab ankle strap black suede peep toe platforms $690 and the silver T bar flats with big silver square discs $735. There are also amazing ankle strap silver platforms with the same silver discs detail about $700. Love the black patent square toe heels with silver buckles on the side about $700. There is a purple and a sliver slouch bag with tassles and horn/bamboo covered handle but it’s very Boho. No No. Oh my lord, there is a Gucci dog bowl and bones and a frisbe in green or red $100. I also see baby accessories for those people who have as penchant for outrageous presents. Buy the bib, the teddy bears and the little Gucci shoes. Bless
Pumpkin and Feta loaf…from Donna Hay
This tickled my fancy. Pumpkin, rosemary and feta seem to have the taste of autumn. It’s not sweet or a dessert nor is it a breakfast toast. But it’s delicious and makes a lovely afternoon tea. How civilized. It should be made with yeast and plain flour but you can try it with the self raising flour. Remember you need about an hour for the yeast to rise.
You need for 2 fatties or 10 skinnies
2 teasp olive oil
½ cup warm water
2 tabs dry yeast
½ cup olive oil extra
1`/2 cup milk
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tabs rosemary leaves
2 teas salt
2 teas p caster sugar
3 cups plain flour
• Preheat oven to 160
• Chop and peel pumpkin into small chunks about the size of a big chunky Chloe heel
• Apply water proof mascara
• Put on Missoni sunglasses
• Chop up the onion.
• Don’t cry.
• Moisterise a baking tin with oil
• Toss in the pumpkin, sprinkle with sel and poivre and throw in the oven
• Cook till it’s soft and tender for about 15 to 20 minutes
• Now throw water and yeast in a bowl and mix it
• Let it sit in the sun or a warm place and let it all foam up after about 10 minutes
• Grab a whizzer and throw in the roughly chopped onion, the milk, extra oil, rosemary, eggs, sugar and salt
• Whiz it all up.
• You can take off the sunglasses now.
• Then pour it into a bowl and toss in the yeast mix too.
• Mix it up.
• Then cover bowl and let it have a lovely little relax so it can double in size. This will take about an hour.
• Now go and relax as well. But don’t double in size. Keep away from the fridge
• Grab the latest UK Vogue and pop on a face mask
• When the mix is all puffed up as big as Pamela Anderson’s lips toss in the roast pumpkin and the feta. Using your hands and moosh it together. Leave a few chunks of cheese and pumpkin.
• Grab a loaf tin and drizzle with oil or butter
• Pour in the mixture
• Throw in the oven and cook for about an hour.
• Test it with skewer
• Serve with a little butter and a pot of tea