• "I’m a fake intellectual. I’m not that well read. Which I’m insecure about since I’ve gotten the [intellectual] niche." Adam Brody, on being different from his O.C. persona.
• "Anyone who hunts, owns a kingdom, wrestles, and has that much sex is gonna be in shape." Jonathan Rhys-Meyers on playing a lean, mean Henry VIII in US TV hit The Tudors.
• "It’s in process. Like a great dish, it needs simmering it needs loving care, it needs attention." Kim Cattrall on plans to revive Sex & The City as a movie.
• "I tend to do things I think are funny and ironic and later I realise that I’m the only one in on the joke." Rose McGowan on her decision to wear nothing but a fishnet sheath and a thong to the 1998 MTV Movie Awards. That is not ironic or intellectual.
• "I’m attracted to creative people and train wrecks, and there’s no shortage of that in Los Angeles." Fall Out Boy’s Pete Wentz, on his move to L.A.
• "I didn’t like it immediately, but now it’s good. I’ve got a circle of dear friends; I love my house and my little dog Vino." Spanish actress Penelope Cruz on life in Los Angeles. She loves Vino. O is she just a fake intellectual
• "In all respect to Courteney Love, I just want to say, ‘Courtney, I was not the guy kissing you at the Amy Winehouse concert at the Roxy last week… It must have been another guy with my hairdo." Bruce Willis insists reports he has been romancing rocker Love are untrue.
• "They should be left alone now without reams of stuff being written that I can assure you, from my experience of royal stories, most of which will be complete nonsense." Tony Blair, speaking out about Prince William’s breakup. Nonsense
• "I’m a fake intellectual. I’m not that well read. Which I’m insecure about since I’ve gotten the [intellectual] niche." Adam Brody, on being different from his O.C. persona.
You have squeezed the very last drop out of all your credit cards for your winter wardrobe. Now what do you do about raising funds to buy some homewares? There are several ideas. You can join a scam in Nigeria. You can auction off your Whitney Huston CD’s on ebay or you can just sell last season’s oversized bag. (You can live on the proceeds for years). Or you can dash into Target and check out their new homewares collection. I see groovy square wine glasses now about $4; dark wooden picture frames about $30 and fabulous clear glass candlesticks for just $8. Buy 4. I see the 400 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and pillow slips for about $25. I also see 20% off some homewares. Now you can cancel the trip Nigeria and keep that oversized bag. Use it as couch.
Reasons why shopping can be tough:
• You need to get undressed
• There is a large rear view mirror
• There is no soft lighting in the fitting room.
• You see things you never knew existed
• Your credit card explodes
• The only thing that fits you is your new handbag
• When you can’t find this winter’s must have; a crop leather jacket. You want it. You need it. You should wear it short, sitting just above the waist. It can be in black or brown. It could have a zip. You should wear over a pretty dress; with a pencil skirt, with skinny black pants or soft balloon skirts. Head to Bettina Liano, Max and Co. Just jeans, Kate Sylvestre, Portmans and Sportsgirl. Keep it sexy with high heels. And remember when the going gets tough the tough go shopping..
- In the latest issue of Paris Match, French first lady Bernadette Chirac is photographed wearing a pair of fingerless leather gloves, a nod to a designer who never takes his off. No wonder: Lagerfeld himself took the photo. Lagerfeld shot Chirac with members of her staff and in the Elysée wine cellar. The 10-page article also includes a spread of photographs Chirac selected herself, which illustrate her 12 years spent at the palace.WWD
- Socialite Pat Buckley who died at age 80 at Stamford Hospital in Connecticut of an infection following a long illness. Bless.
- The Louis Vuitton Cup has begun in Valencia, Spain and will determine who can challenge Switzerland for the Americas Cup, Miuccia Prada and Patrizio Bertelli asked Rem Koolhaas to create a special installation for their party at the city’s Mercado Central to support Prada’s Luna Rossa Challenge boat.
- This is a fab site for holiday houses in Greece “ a family business offering unique seaside holidays in attractive homes in a lovely, unspoilt corner of Greece. Divine. http://pelion.co.uk
- Off to France? Stay at this cute hotel in Montpellier http://www.jardin-des-sens.com/us/lieu.html
- Book a holiday here http://www.hotelraya.it/
- Please stay here in Santorini http://mystique.gr/hotelife.htm
- If you ever go to Minneapolis then check out this fabulous art hotel http://www.chambersminneapolis.com/
- Off to Italy? Book a stay here http://villapisani.it/english/indexeng.htm
- Heading to London? check out the exhibition at the V&A New York Fashion Now exhibit http://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/future_exhibs/index.html
- Check out the the exhibition at the Met in New York that all the fashion world is channeling Poiret http://www.metmuseum.org from May 9, 2007–August 5, 2007. ‘It was Poiret’s remarkable innovations in the cut and construction of clothing, made all the more remarkable by the fact that he could not sew, that secured his legacy. Working the fabric directly onto the body, Poiret helped to pioneer a radical approach to dressmaking that relied more on the skills of drapery than on those of tailoring’
- Off to Paris? Read up on the best vintage shopping in http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/vintage-affair
- Off to Toronto ? This is a cute hotel http://thedrakehotel.ca
- See the trailer for the new Film The painted veil http://www.apple.com/trailers/warner_independent_pictures/thepaintedveil/
It’s another place to shop! My-wardrobe.com is an online store based in the UK and has more mainstream designers such as Cacherel, Edun, Paul and Joe…
Who are you ? …click on the photos and discover your your personality and DNA..cute!
- It seems there are as many theories about why Prince William and his girlfriend, Kate Middleton, split as there are Corgi hairs on the Buckingham Palace sofas —Reasons range from Middleton’s nouveau riche middle-class background — and gum-chewing mother, a former airline hostess — to Wills’ famously roving eye and hands
- Britney Spears was spotted flashing her panties again. And apparently instead of showing up in clothes she decided she’d just tape a pillow case to herself… economical….thesuperficial
- Lindsay Lohan is denying reports suggesting she and Kevin Federline are a new item after spending a steamy afternoon together in a Los Angeles hotel. Steamy
- Katie Holmes called the cops after she spotted a pair of photographers on her way to Target and got spooked. The cops escorted her inside and trailed her as she browsed for clothes for herself and Suri. I don’t know what’s more bizarre, that she got local cops to escort her shopping, or that she shops for clothes at Target …Thesuperficial
- Madonna went to Africa again. Not for more children.
- Andre Agassi Accidentally Hits Wife with Racket ( ouch)
- Marilyn Manson Calls Evan Rachel Wood ‘My Twin’ ( Kooky)
- Penélope Cruz Says She Wants to Adopt ( hates being fat)
- Eva Herzigova says I Love My Body Pregnant (hates being fat)
- Salma Hayek Opens Up About Motherhood and the pregnant actress says being a mom is for her ( hates being fat )
- Blue Wiggle Anthony Field Welcomes Baby Son ( of course he was never fat)
- Demi Moore is so definitely pregnant but just not telling. Or she is just fat. Why is she smiling then?< />
- Jen Garner ‘Intoxicated’ with Love for Daughter ( and relieved she is no longer fat)
The Post-Birthday World (Hardcover) by Lionel Shriver
Lionel Shriver’s wonderful new novel, her latest since the prize-winning We Need to Talk About Kevin, creates parallel universes that indulge all our what-if speculations. Irina McGovern, a children’s book illustrator and a professional, independent woman admits, “The only thing I can’t live without is a man.”. Shriver grants her two. The first, Lawrence Trainer, is a sweetly geeky terrorism expert, and offers tranquil domesticity; the other is Ramsey Acton, a dazzling celebrity snooker champion and husband of Irina’s collaborator, Jude. The rest of the story pivots on this will-they-or-won’t-they as the novel splits into alternating chapters; in one, they kiss; in another, she turns away. Who is Irina’s Mr. Right? In excessive, often obsessive, detail, Shriver explores Irina’s life with each candidate through the quotidian and across a larger political and social landscape that includes Bosnia, the death of Princess Diana and 9/11.
$17 http://www.amazon.com Publisher: HarperCollins; 1 edition (March 13, 2007)
The Christmas List
Face of Fashion: … by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott, Corinne Day, Steven Klein, Mario Sorrenti (Hardcover) by Vince Aletti (Author), Susan Bright (Editor).
This striking, gold-embossed, faux-leather-bound volume presents the intensely unconventional, often unnervingly intimate portraiture being made by some of today’s most creative and original fashion photographers– Each photographer is represented by a range of portraits, including several commissioned especially for this book. Some of the portraits were produced for ads; others were commissioned for editorial features. Many of the subjects are celebrities, including Kate Moss, Madonna, Matthew Barney, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Sting. Published to accompany an exhibition at London’s celebrated National Portrait Gallery.
$37 http://www.amazon.com Publisher: Aperture (March 1, 2007)
I do see a lot of the Stella McCartney collection still here: best buys are the grey or black trousers $100;and the groovy trench $199 in navy or a grey silver. Also buy ¾ grey crop pants $109; the black swing coat $100 and the satin print dress. There is a chic black wool blazer $189; the cut looks divine and also a few T shirts.
There is a very classic tan suede blazer here $149; some cuffed grey shorts $39; and some cute sweater dresses with wide straps $49 in lots of colours. Check out the cotton fur trim parkas, very cargo $89; and the cotton double breasted trenches in red, black or stone $120.
Check out the bronze or silver glitter ballet flats $128; the satin jeweled ballets flats in blue $128 very marc Jacobs and the peep toe wedges in a suede $128. There are fab peep oe moc croc heels with a small platform $128 and some fab black patent peep toe heels with white stitching $168. Love the Jimmy Choo inspired strappy patent blush pink sandals with a cross strap front cool $128 and pointy toe patent heels with a big buckle $148. Yes I know; pointy. You can only wear pointy if you have been wearing round toes for at least 2 seasons. Otherwise it will look passé. We don’t want FiFi readers looking passé. Please.
So many gorgeous dresses here: love the grey double breasted wool dress with a huge balloon skirt with - gulp, could it to be true? - padding on the hips? Yes, darling. Lanvin did padding on skirts this season so it must be Ok. Not so sure how many they will sell. Try it on and you will see how you are very Marie Antoinette you look about $250.And it is quite slimming. Otherwise buy the divine navy and brown print chiffon print trapeze dress with a tiny ruffle hem.Gorgeous with a ruffle cuff sleeve and a simple round neckline. Wear it now. Wear it later with opaque hose, wear it under a trench, wear it! $199. The choc brown balloon sleeve sweater dress is great $129 if you breathe in and the very Prada esque long anorak is cool $429. A must buy. Invest in the grey empire long sleeve T , so cool under everything $89 and the groovy grey fitted jacket with a peplum $295 ( it’s coming back ). Also buy the patent bags and the belts here, they are great.
Best pieces are the grey cotton peacoat $259; and the groovy big silver metallic messenger style tote, very Prada also in black $179, a great buy! There are fab T bar navy patent heels, very Michael Kors inspired $159; some very handy-must-have classic chinos in stone $69 and also some groovy T shirts with lots of writing on the front , cool $39. I like the one that says in silver Nothings Gonna Stop Me Now (shopping?). Also check out the dark skinny jeans $99; the classic camel stone blazer $229; and a black satin round neck voluminous dress with batwing sleeves $229 with a fabric belt. I have seen this dress worn by Stella MCartney. What is she doing wearing MNG? Ha. It’s a great copy. There is a Marni style linen gold sheen crop Chanel style jacket $199 and a gold lurex sweater dress $69 and I spy a fab Prada style black short parka with ¾ sleeves $179. There is also cute black and white Marrimekko print mini dress $119. Buy the divine short full skirt in a fab heavy black rich fabric with a slight silver fleck, so Lanvin.. it’s great $199
So many gorgeous clothes here: best pieces are the gold metal drape cami top $229; the pretty silk print burgundy satin blouses $249; the knit drape poncho top, it’s divine, in a chic brown $159 and the fab check tweed woven wool coat with a suede tie belt $898. Buy the black pencil skirt with an inverted pleat at the back or the skirt with its own snazzy black belt very Prada! $279. There is strapless prince of Wales dress with its own groovy black leather belt $398 and the best little cashmere tanks or singlet tops that are so chic $149. Check out the long rib V neck cardigans $198; it would look fab over a mini and belted in. Also buy the brown/orange/green small floral drape front T in a chiffon $229; the divine new black velvet print tulip skirt with a grosgrain ribbon belt $329 and the beautiful grey knit sweater dress with a V neck and subtle clear sequins on the side. No, don’t be afraid the sequins are not scary but just add a bit of je ne sais quoi to a classic sweater dress. The cape is still here in a divine grey suede. And the long sleeved knit T is the best in town with a few buttons along the shoulders and in a fine knit in burgundy , grey or black $129. A must for all this transeasonal weather. Handy to wear under dresses or under a cape. Love the belts here too.
Love the grey and black stripe L/S T $89; also in a polo neck $99 and the grey knit sweaters. $149. There is a fab grey wool melton trapeze jacket - chic de la chic- $499 Wear it with everything in your wardrobe from jeans to skirts. Love the grey crinkle blouson bomber jacket with a ribbon belt and a zip front. It seems they sold out and now I see more in store this week. It’s another hot buy for winter to wear right now. This is a groovier kind of jacket than a blazer and looks less stitched up $299. Also check out the fab grey classic trousers $199, the fabulous dark denim jean, the groovy short cuffed shorts and the classic white cuffed shirts $129. Buy the fab thin patent belts in camel, red or black $69.
What to buy this week? How about the fab short crop trapeze jacket with huge bell sleeves $299; the short sleeve puff sleeve knits about $89 ( so right to wear now) and the very chic grey jersey trapeze dress with a fitted V neck $169. This dress will be very flattering. Tight on top, skims the fat thighs. Perfect. The grey slouch trousers are faaabulous and a must buy $129, they look very expensive in that dark grey. The long grey chunky knit cardigan can be worn as a dress or worn with leggings $199 and the navy trapeze dress is hot! It’s the navy version of the red dress that was seen everywhere $189. Buy the grey sweater dress, it’s one of the best ones I have seen $129. Love the Chloe style oversize grey bags, the wallets, the long gloves, the belts and the scarves. If only it was cold enough to wear them. You want the black velvet Juicy style zip tops and track pants. That’s if you haven’t already bought the Juicy ones 4 years ago. Bless
I spy a groovy Charlie Brown stone/concrete trench with black buttons $199. Also Innovare has copied the Marc Jacobs or were they Prada black patent round toe flats with bow. Now on sale for $89. Sacchi has copied the Jean Michel Cazabat sparkle larkle bronze glitter heels as seen in Evelyn Miles ( for $800) here for $129. Check out the Leona Edmiston grey patent Mary Janes heels $469 (ouch). Love the new Micheal Kors beige suede sandals with a wooden stacked heel and ankle strap $270 and the Allessandro del Aqua black patent platform heeled loafers with a gold buckle $820.
OOhhh La La I see lots of fabulous new shoes and bags. How nice. You must have the Barbara Bui black patent and suede heels $558; the B.Bui black or white peep toe ballet flats with a subtle gold stud on the toe, gorgeous $498 and the BB camel moc croc sling back with a snazzy gold heels $698. Also the T bar black stacked wedges are chic $698 There is also a red stud Jimmy Choo bag, a fabulous white, stand up, oversized tote and a slouch bag in tan all about $2000. Also buy the Jimmy Choo beige patent ankle strap heels, divine $858. The Miu Miu silver peep toe flats with black jet jewels still here and begging to be bought $718 and so are the Miu Miu blush peep toe cone heel pumps $518. Also in plain black. The Miu Miu T bar flesh pink jewel heels are gorgeous with a gold kitten heel $738 and so are the round toe black patent heels $598. Check out the Miu Miu small camel suede bag $$ and the Miu Miu brown round toe simple classic pumps $598. The Marc Jacobs black peep toes are fabulous with a snazzy white patent wedge heels $728; also in a blush with a white patent wedge $528. Buy the Marc Jacobs ‘mouse’ shoes with a kitten heel with a sling backs in silver metallics $568 and the pointy toe grey silver ankle strap heels with studs about $698 Weekend Max Mara:
A lot of divine parkas and coats here. Go for the belted puffa jacket with a fur trim hood $1400 in a divine choc nylon; the cable knit zip front sweater in cream $390 and the fabulous belted red puffa jacket $815. There is a chic brown cord belted trench $1100; a fab black fur trim parka $1400 and a divine cream chiffon shell top with pintucks for just $190. Great price. The black stripe knit V neck cardigan is classic but you can groove it up $295. The belted poloneck sweaters are great about $280 and so is the gold long sleeve T now on sale $150
Christine in Melbourne (181 Flinders Lane 9654 2011). I was in Melbourne recently to check out the stores there and I was thrilled to nick into Christine. What a gorgeous store and so cute down an unmarked doorway in Flinders lane. Lots of gorgeous pieces here from divine Lanvin jewellery to fabulous Marc Jacobs bags. There is Sonia Rykiel bags and clothing, chic Anya Hindmarsh bags and amazing jewellery, bags and scarves. You want it all.
Tuna with Romesco sauce….From Neil Perry in Good Living.
I saw this in last week’s Good Living and though that it sounded delicious. And it is. Perfect to have on standby in the fridge when you need to eat but don’t want to cook. Add more chillie if you like it hot. Great with fish, chicken, pasta….
You need for 4 girls, 3 men, 12 models
4 Fillets tuna or Snapper
2 Red Capsicums
160ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 small red Chilli
4 Chopped Garlic Cloves
1 Slice Crusty White Bread
¼ cup blanched Almonds.
¼ cup skinned Hazelnuts
1 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
Small bunch parsley Sea Salt Pepper
• Before cooking Preheat oven to about 200
• Toss in the capsicums and roast them
• Sit back and have a glass of wine and read the latest Vanity Fair ‘Green Issue’ while capsicums roast
• Then peel and deseed capsicums. Watch the manicure
• Neil Perry says to De seed and peel tomatoes. I say only if you can be bothered. I wasn’t. I didn’t.
• In a frypan dry “roast” hazelnuts.
• Exfoliate the hazelnuts if you want to. This means rub the skins off . This can be boring. Delegate this task to George Clooney. Tell him to put them in a tea towel and give it a good rub. ( Ask George to repeat this task with you in tea towel )
• Peel then chop the garlic in half. Not any smaller because you want it in big clumps. Big is good.
• Deseed the chillies and cut in half .Ditto .
• Cut off the platforms, sorry, the crust from the slice of bread and roughly chop it.
• You may eat the crust. Scientific fact: There are no calories in any food that is eaten while cooking.• Heat olive oil in a fry pan and toss in garlic, chillies, bread and almonds. Smells divine
• Watch them cook and wait till they are a lovely caramel colour. Think as golden as a Miu Miu bag.
• Let it all cool a little
• While you pour another wine
• Then toss the bread/garlic mix in a whizzer
• Then throw in the capsicums, tomato, and hazelnuts as well
• Whizz it till all combined
• Then pour olive oil and vinegar in the whiz for one more mix.
• What a divine colour! It’s a vivid red/orange. Think the Marni patent bag. Gorgeous.
• Add salt and pepper and add more if you need.
• Now cook your fish anyway you desire.
• Serve a simple chic piece of fish with a divine dollop of Romesco sauce drizzled on top. It’s so Missoni especially when you accessorise with a sprinkle of green parsley.
• Neil Perry says green beans will be perfect with this or just try a green salad. Anything green is good.
• Some crusty bread is important too to soak up sauce.
• Buon Appetito!
Paris, Je T’aime…..directed by 18 different Directors including Gus Van Sant, Joel Coen and Alexander Payne, Wes Craven, Alfonso Cuarón and Gérard Depardieu
Genre: Romance! it’s a cinematic homage to the city of lights.
Who: Steve Buscemi, Juliette Binoche Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elijah Wood, Gena Rowlands, Emily Mortimer, Rufus Sewell, Miranda Richardson, Willem Dafoe, Natalie Portman, Gerard Depardieu, Bob Hoskins, Nick Nolte and Fanny Ardant.
The Plot: ‘ Each director presents a short story set in a different Parisian quarter, each one featuring different characters. The pieces vary in length, some of them a fully developed tale while others are arty and abstract, and sometimes kooky’.Maggie Gyllenhaal is great speaking French playing a pot smoking lonely actress. Elijah Wood encounters a seductive vampire on a moonlit street. Steve Buscemi is a flustered tourist on the metro and Natalie Portman falls for a deaf Frenchmen. The last segment by Alexander Payne is the best and is about an American tourist in Paris
Photography: Some great some not so great.
Design: In Paris love is found everywhere; under the Eiffel Tower, in the cemetery and even in the Metro. It all looks gorgeous.
Wardrobe: So many stories so many clothes: Maggie Gyllenhaal looks groovy with a Miu Miu bag, Natalie Portman is chic and so is Fanny Ardant. Mais oui
Salon de Beaute: Gerard Depardieu is still fat, Steve Buscemi still needs his teeth done, Willem Dafoe still needs a facial and Nick Nolte still looks pissed. Juliette Binoche looks great with no makeup and Fanny Ardant looks great with alot. Rufus Sewell is handsome and Elijah Wood will always be a hobbit. Bless
Botox: You will need a small shot to get through the weird stories with Vampires and Chinese singers. You will need a big shot to get through the Mime artist story. Waterproof Mascara: You will laugh in the good stories, you will cry in the bad ones. You will need lashings of waterproof mascara.
Blood ’n’ Guts: there are blood sucking vampires.
Mind drifted to shopping: All the time. Paris = Shopping
Smokin’ smooches: Paris = romance
Car chases: Non Merci.
Rename It: French Kiss
Best Reviews; “A mesmerizing tribute to this grand, historic city, and its clear why Paris je t’aime was an enormous hit on last year’s festival circuit. Just watch it: if you don’t find yourself smiling at least half a dozen times, well, then I hope to never meet you” stylusmagazine
Best Worst Reviews: “ This is a very French cinematic concept, sometimes charming, sometimes obtuse, sometimes irritating and often risky; just like the French themselves” Urban Cinefile
See it or donate to the Prada Bag fund?. Fall in love with Paris or fall in love with a Prada bag? Go and see Paris and thne buy the bag on sale …